Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My IIMM with Independence Day: Resurgence was the insistence that everything needed to be so much bigger than the first movie that just by entering Earth's atmosphere that ship would have caused an extinction level event. Nevermind that drilling a mile-wide hole down into the bottom of the mantle would probably cause a lot of Bad Things to happen regardless of whether they actually breached the molten core.

I know, it's a Roland Emmerich movie and I'm supposed to shut my brain off, but still. It crossed the barrier from ridiculous to hysterical after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

My physics II TA complained about ID4, how if something 'a quarter the mass of the earth's moon' hovered anywhere a hundred meters off the ground it wouldn't need a goddamn laser to destroy anything. Tidal forces from the gravity would rip everything apart.

I was pretty sure that the mother ship was 1/4th the mass of the moon and not the individual things but I didn't want to invite more accurate estimations and math and plot it out when "it's magic, whatever" was how that movie was intended to be viewed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I always did like in Megamind, the small joke about names being trademarked.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Krinkle posted:

My physics II TA complained about ID4, how if something 'a quarter the mass of the earth's moon' hovered anywhere a hundred meters off the ground it wouldn't need a goddamn laser to destroy anything. Tidal forces from the gravity would rip everything apart.

I was pretty sure that the mother ship was 1/4th the mass of the moon and not the individual things but I didn't want to invite more accurate estimations and math and plot it out when "it's magic, whatever" was how that movie was intended to be viewed.

Obviously the ship has antigravity on board which lessens its effective mass and its effect on earth. :colbert:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

EmmyOk posted:

I retract my previous complaint with Jessica Jones but Kilgrave AKA Kill Grave is laughable as a baddy name.

At least he doesn't use his actual first name from the comics (Zebediah).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoB posted:

Obviously the ship has antigravity on board which lessens its effective mass and its effect on earth. :colbert:

Pretty sure that's why the Harvester in Resurgence picked up moon stuff and buildings in Asia, then dropped them. Turning on the antigravity. (Which the new helicopters and stuff run on anyway)

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
My IIMM with Independence Day Resurgence was that the aliens seemed more interested in sucking the planet dry than killing all humans :(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok this better count

The doctor just leaving a full bottle of murder pills beside the guy who clearly wants to eat loads of murder pills. If it turns out he wanted to go mental I'll have a fit

Also jesus did Wendy solely exist to have her life ruined

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Finally got around to jumping on the Flash bandwagon, and later the other CW shows when I have time, but as great as this show is I'm already having to re-write the plot in my head to avoid the annoying thing writers do in nearly all superhero shows. Namely, the title character is the first superhuman, all subsequent super powered individuals are somehow connected to their origin story, and no one else knows other superheroes/villains exist. While watching the Flash I have to ignore every mention of the particle accelerator and pretend that everyone knows superheroes exist and they only act surprised because they're rare enough that most people don't meet one face to face.

They did it in Smallville and it always bugged the poo poo out of me. Supergirl also did it, but to a lesser extent because at least Superman existed beforehand in their world. I assume it gives them an excuse to do the monster of the week format that should have died in the 90's, but they could do that anyways if they feel it's needed without forcing some kind of event that creates all the villains the hero fights. Just have him battle other meta-humans who happen to be running around. Instead of becoming a hero because he feels he needs to clean up STAR labs mess, just have him become a hero because it's the right thing to do. It's not that hard.

Even Marvel's MCU is kind of guilty of this. You've got Captain America, then several decades of no superhero activity, then Tony Stark and suddenly BOOM superhero explosion. Metahumans everywhere. It makes no sense. If we're setting a superhero property in a world where they're possible in the first place, then there should be heroes popping up often enough throughout history that, while they may be rare, they'd be common enough that the general concept should be known to the general public. No one should be surprised by the new cape flying around, even if they're still awed by what they can do.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Esroc posted:

Even Marvel's MCU is kind of guilty of this. You've got Captain America, then several decades of no superhero activity, then Tony Stark and suddenly BOOM superhero explosion. Metahumans everywhere. It makes no sense. If we're setting a superhero property in a world where they're possible in the first place, then there should be heroes popping up often enough throughout history that, while they may be rare, they'd be common enough that the general concept should be known to the general public. No one should be surprised by the new cape flying around, even if they're still awed by what they can do.

In the case of the MCU at least I think it's more that the public just wasn't really aware of it. So you'd just have like some freak guy somewhere and people would be like "oh no, a guy's blowing up our building with bombs" but now that the whole meta human thing is public it's "oh no, a guy's blowing up our building with his super power". I mean it still relies a lot on the assumption that everyone is really dumb and willing to ignore that like, a giant lizard man is walking around somewhere but still.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

My IIMM with Independence Day Resurgence was that the aliens seemed more interested in sucking the planet dry than killing all humans :(

That was a twofer, though- They use the core to build new spaceships, and the loss of the magnetosphere means the atmorsphere blows away and all humans die

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I thought the deal with the Marvel MCU is that superhuman folks and alien supertechnology have been know to exist since at least WWII with Cap and Red Skull, but SHIELD and the world's governments pretty much keep them under wraps and suppress information from the public until aliens invade New York City and there's no chance but to let the cat out of the bag. They put a massive secure facility around Thor's hammer and make it a point that they're covertly observing the Hulk to make sure he doesn't cause trouble.

E;f,b

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was a twofer, though- They use the core to build new spaceships, and the loss of the magnetosphere means the atmorsphere blows away and all humans die

The irony is that they could have easily accomplished their goal if they had just left the antigravity off and just tooled around at speed in the atmosphere, blowing away any ESD attacks with their massive defensive batteries. Raw physics would have done the rest and the ship was so goddamn big humanity could have been crushed in less than a day. Instead they bait the humans into their ship in a gambit that relies on them revealing the crippling weakness in their entire species.

Wild T has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Jun 25, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's actually a cool movie backstory bit that must have been tucked in a comic book or something.

Like the design of the ship in Avatar. :science:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Wild T posted:

I thought the deal with the Marvel MCU is that superhuman folks and alien supertechnology have been know to exist since at least WWII with Cap and Red Skull, but SHIELD and the world's governments pretty much keep them under wraps and suppress information from the public until aliens invade New York City and there's no chance but to let the cat out of the bag. They put a massive secure facility around Thor's hammer and make it a point that they're covertly observing the Hulk to make sure he doesn't cause trouble.

But even those fall within the realm of the "recent" Marvel events or lead up to them in some way. I'm talking about why there's a sudden increase in superhuman activity at a certain point despite the worlds reality making it clear that there's no reason why any of this poo poo should be new to the people in that world. It's sort of like how in the DC Universe before the Justice League they had the Justice Society in the 1940's. Yet in nearly all DC properties everyone in their stories acts like the main heroes of their company are a new thing. It makes no sense that the world would act like Superman is such a weird and new occurrence when Jay Garrick and Hour-man were running around sixty years ago.

I'm mostly just saying we're past the point where fictional superhero worlds should be written as if every superhero is a new thing that the citizens of the world have never seen before. In all major superhero franchises superheroes should be almost passé. DC is even doing it again with trying to introduce new powered individuals into the DCCU with the line "Superman got them crawling out of the woodwork". No. Superman did no such goddamn thing. They should have already been an issue that the world would have been dealing with long before baby Kent landed in Kansas.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Jun 25, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Esroc posted:

I'm mostly just saying we're past the point where fictional superhero worlds should be written as if every superhero is a new thing that the citizens of the world have never seen before. In all major superhero franchises superheroes should be almost passé. DC is even doing it again with trying to introduce new powered individuals into the DCCU with the line "Superman got them crawling out of the woodwork". No. Superman did no such goddamn thing. They should have already been an issue that the world would have been dealing with long before baby Kent landed in Kansas.

I liked the way the DCAU (Or was it Young Justice?) handled that explanation where the general argument was that by having what basically amounted to living nukes just hanging around in a space base orbiting the earth other strong aliens would be threatened and start invading.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

syscall girl posted:

That's actually a cool movie backstory bit that must have been tucked in a comic book or something.

Like the design of the ship in Avatar. :science:

IIRC, it's mentioned in the movie by the friendly alien/AI. I don't recall if it specifically says that the core is used for new ships specifically, but it definitely says that the aliens' MO is to suck out the molten core of planets, which leaves the planet a husk with no atmosphere.

That of course opens up a whole other plot hole. In the first film the aliens are described like locusts that plunder an inhabited world's resources then move on. If all they're after is the core of a world and their ships are large enough to have their own ecosystems to sustain them, why bother invading inhabited planets and exterminating their population? Just suck dry any of the untold number of uninhabited worlds and spare yourself the effort of subjugating species.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Esroc posted:

But even those fall within the realm of the "recent" Marvel events or lead up to them in some way. I'm talking about why there's a sudden increase in superhuman activity at a certain point despite the worlds reality making it clear that there's no reason why any of this poo poo should be new to the people in that world. It's sort of like how in the DC Universe before the Justice League they had the Justice Society in the 1940's. Yet in nearly all DC properties everyone in their stories acts like the main heroes of their company are a new thing. It makes no sense that the world would act like Superman is such a weird and new occurrence when Jay Garrick and Hour-man were running around sixty years ago.

Agents of Shield says they've been tracking enhanced humans for decades.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

Plus, Ant Man was kicking rear end as the Captain America of 70s and 80s under wraps from SHIELD so the general public never knew.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

MrJacobs posted:

Plus, Ant Man was kicking rear end as the Captain America of 70s and 80s under wraps from SHIELD so the general public never knew.

And yet despite several millennia of written history they were all nice enough to wait until the early 2000's to do anything public.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Esroc posted:

And yet despite several millennia of written history they were all nice enough to wait until the early 2000's to do anything public.

Nah they did all sorts of public stuff like building the pyramids,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Esroc posted:

Finally got around to jumping on the Flash bandwagon, and later the other CW shows when I have time, but as great as this show is I'm already having to re-write the plot in my head to avoid the annoying thing writers do in nearly all superhero shows. Namely, the title character is the first superhuman, all subsequent super powered individuals are somehow connected to their origin story, and no one else knows other superheroes/villains exist. While watching the Flash I have to ignore every mention of the particle accelerator and pretend that everyone knows superheroes exist and they only act surprised because they're rare enough that most people don't meet one face to face.

They did it in Smallville and it always bugged the poo poo out of me. Supergirl also did it, but to a lesser extent because at least Superman existed beforehand in their world. I assume it gives them an excuse to do the monster of the week format that should have died in the 90's, but they could do that anyways if they feel it's needed without forcing some kind of event that creates all the villains the hero fights. Just have him battle other meta-humans who happen to be running around. Instead of becoming a hero because he feels he needs to clean up STAR labs mess, just have him become a hero because it's the right thing to do. It's not that hard.

But that's literally how the meta humans show up. The particle accelerator causes some people to develop powers. Barry hooks up with STAR labs so he can do the best heroing job he can.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Esroc posted:

Thor was pretty public.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It annoys me in Supergirl because they need to jump through a lot of hoops to get the timeline to do what they want it to do. Supergirl is sent into space shortly after Superman, but arrives much later so she's younger than him, but after arriving spends a decade growing up here, but the ship full of bad aliens arrives at the same time as Supergirl, but after arriving on Earth they for nebulous reasons all remain hidden for exactly the same length of time she does...

It feels a lot more contrived than something like Flash that just goes "This is the event that made supers exist, once the event happens there's good supers and bad supers and they fight."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Byzantine posted:

Thor was pretty public.

Didn't thor largely take place in a small town in the middle of nowhere?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My ID42 IIMM is that Friendly AI Ship should've realized that coming unannounced to a planet that was invaded two decades ago out of the blue is a really dumb idea and you should've thought things out better.

It's like, did you want to get shot by your potential allies laser guns? Because that's a really good way to get shot by your potential allies laser guns.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

Didn't thor largely take place in a small town in the middle of nowhere?

well i think he ended up doing some stuff in norway a long time ago

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

Overall the movie Oblivion wasn't great but I did love how the aliens went about harvesting resources. instead of landing an army of infantry and waging a bloody ground war on equal footing with earth they just crashed a huge meteor into Earth, killing billions and finishing off the rest by just letting the changed geography and weather patterns starve everyone to death

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My issue with the new Independence Day is that it was made.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ID4.2 Jokes falling flat. You have funny actors and have had years to prepare this. Groaners are ok, but the tall, lanky joke for instance had just terrible timing

Gaunab posted:

My issue with the new Independence Day is that it was made.

Don't cut yourself, homie

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
IIMM from Ninja Turtles 2 -

-"Oh, you provide traceless cell phones - obviously you have a way to trace them."

-Casey Jones finds...something, this little frame with wheels in it, and makeshifts himself a pair of rollerblades in seconds. Granted, it makes more sense than just finding a pair of rollerblades in the back of someone's car in TYOOL 2016, but holy crap that was stupid.

Other than that it's still a really stupid movie but it's a level of stupidity that fits the tone and mood relatively well. Humans are apparently descended from any drat animal you need for plot convenience to turn Bebop and Rocksteady into a rhino and a warthog? Whatever, that's still less dumb than that rollerblade poo poo.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Stuff about oblivion

Maybe you should go watch that movie again.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
In Finding Dory, the amount of times I had a "oh come on" reaction to how unrealistic something was was very high. It is irrational because I am expecting realism in a movie about talking cartoon fish, but some of it just felt a bit silly and contrived even for a pixar movie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jessica Jones: Luke can walk through an exploding building but a shotgun to head puts him in a coma

also the brain spores make sense for the mic and phonecall stuff not working but then why would putting him under ether cancel his current commands?

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You know that show is based on a comic book, right

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The thing that drives me crazy about the Flash is that 90% of the villains are disgruntled employees out for revenge on their former boss.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

EmmyOk posted:

Jessica Jones: Luke can walk through an exploding building but a shotgun to head puts him in a coma

Explosions don't aim for the head?

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

EmmyOk posted:

also the brain spores make sense for the mic and phonecall stuff not working but then why would putting him under ether cancel his current commands?

Oh I can help with this one! Luke has "unbreakable skin" as one of his powers. Not just the generic Super Durability that most heroes have. Meaning that a shot to the head will still snap his brain into his skull and put him into a coma without physically harming the outside of his body

Edit: I am positive they have done the same trick to knock out Wolverine in one of the movies as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My annoying thing about ID42 is there is a scene where the heroes pilot an alien ship and one of them says that it is exactly the same as before (to justify why they could fly the ships) except no, they aren't the same at all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

You know that show is based on a comic book, right

Wow this is a really good post, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
In the Marvel cinematic universe the inhumans have been around a very long time, but they are actively hiding for most of history and policing themselves so to stay off the radar. The increase in social media and every single person having a camera on them at all times eventually exposed the inhumans to the world at large. Playing with alien power sources exposed humanity to the greater universe.

My irrational gripe is that no show seems to be able to make the jump from gritty kind of realistic season 1 to a more traditional comic wold in season 2 without getting really goofy.

Daredevil is really bad about this. It doesn't help that season one did so many new things in terms of camera work and taking advantage of the Netflix show format so well that quality would only go down. Once you started mixing undead ninjas things go down hill.