Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Bishop posted:

Everyone likes to make fun of Americas electoral system, but we can't gently caress up this badly with a simple majority vote.

A nation choosing independence is not a "gently caress up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

So does that mean a simple, fair and non racist literacy test mandatory for all voters is still racist?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Decebal posted:

Nationalism is good and Europe was a more vibrant & interesting place when it had more distinct national identities.

The 1940s, "vibrant" times.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Decebal posted:

A nation choosing independence is not a "gently caress up".
Right now, the verdict is still out if it doesn't turn out to be some form of "swiss" independence, where you still follow pretty much whatever the EU says, without having a vote in their decision making,

[Edit]
Rephrased it. Didn't mean to sound as snarky as I did.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 25, 2016

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bishop posted:

Everyone likes to make fun of Americas electoral system, but we can't gently caress up this badly with a simple majority vote.

honestly as stupid as this currently looks considering the financial nosedive currently occurring, I don't think this is actually all that stupid

for the simple reason that the EU loving sucks, the eurozone is self-destructing and the EU is becoming increasingly controlling in order to try to save itself

obviously the economy is going to tank, anyone who said that it wasn't is stupid, but the economy was going to tank anyway and I think extricating themselves before the EU fully imploded is probably going to eventually be a positive thing

I mean the Brits aren't part of the Eurozone so maybe they could have just ridden out the EU collapse and emerged on the other side okay but it's not like they've actually given up a good thing here, the EU loving blows and concerns over sovereignty were becoming less and less stupid, especially after what happened to poor old greece

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I've been booted out of the EU CS GO matchmaking queue, thanks farage

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
"Winds of Change" by The Scorpions was just on the radio and it gave me a warm fuzzy.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ya with your entire trade and foreign policy in ruins you're in a better position ti survive the event that hasnt occured.

Much like every other doomsday prepper, y2k and bomb shelter rear end in a top hat.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

as bad as the whole thing is having to live in it (england's not a nice place even when its economy is working) it's funny watching rich people flip their poo poo

pity that you only have 3 storey buildings

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

That form of sweet swiss independence, where you still follow pretty much whatever the EU says, without having a vote in their decision making?

you're assuming the EU is a thing that is going to continue to exist

other countries are now pushing for exit referendums. If the EU tries to really crack down on Britain for trying to leave they show themselves as exactly the kind of union you don't want to be a part of, and if they don't and a bunch of other countries vote to leave the EU will slowly deflate and die

the only real hope for the EU right now is that they give the Brits a fair deal and then really commit to reforming, and then other countries that hold leave votes don't pass them. then it could survive.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

cock hero flux posted:

[...] If the EU tries to really crack down on Britain for trying to leave [...]
I don't think the EU is trying to "really crack down" on switerland, neither. At least I wouldn't welcome that.
It's just a side effect of most of your trade partners being part of a Union which you yourself aren't part of.

cock hero flux posted:

[...] ther countries are now pushing for exit referendums. [...]
Britain shouldn't really hold the "exit referendums are a sign of collapse"-thing too high. At least not high enough for Scotland and Northern Ireland to see.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 25, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lichy posted:

goddamn if Theresa May become PM we might get actual death camps

whos she

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

I don't think the EU is trying to "really crack down" on switerland, neither. At least I wouldn't welcome that.
It's just a side effect of most of your trade partners being part of a Union which you yourself aren't part of.

No, a Norway or a Switzerland type deal wouldn't be cracking down. I mean if they give Britain the same kind of deal they gave the other countries that wanted to be in the EFTA without being in the EU, that'd be okay.

Obviously that entails certain regulations that British companies end up having to follow because otherwise the EU markets won't take them, but at the end of the day I think the EU is in deep poo poo, especially now, and the only way to save themselves is to really commit to reform, and to fixing the problems that caused heavy anti-EU sentiment in Britain and other countries.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

StarMinstrel posted:

The 1940s, "vibrant" times.

Nigel doesn't have anywhere near the amount of charisma to be Hitler.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
You thought 10 years was too long between recessions? We're cutting that number down to 8!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

I mean if they give Britain the same kind of deal they gave the other countries that wanted to be in the EFTA without being in the EU, that'd be okay.
Yeah, that's the type of deal I'd see in the future. Are there really any "BURN BRITAIN TO THE GROUND"-voices?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Wipfmetz posted:

Are there really any "BURN BRITAIN TO THE GROUND"-voices?

The British Public.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Yeah, that's the type of deal I'd see in the future. Are there really any "BURN BRITAIN TO THE GROUND"-voices?

There were certainly people on the Remain side who said that leaving would result in the EU going full scorched earth on Britain, and I think there may have been one or two comments before the referendum that could have been loosely interpreted as threatening, but for the most part since the hammer came down they seem more concerned with preventing damage to their economies than with punishing britain, and preventing damage mostly involves keeping things as similar as possible

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
France VS. Germany for biggest dick in Europe match will be fun to watch from now on !

What new alliances will for ? How will the power balance reshape itself ?? So much excitement in unpredictability and I sincerely thank the British for giving me this !

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

Rich kids who don't get their way for once

That really is the major problem with democracy.... people who aren't like *us* get to vote.

It's gross.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

bae

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Bishop posted:

This was a much fairer way of voting than an antiquated, will only ever favor two parties, voting for seats system that we have for general elections.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

Britain shouldn't really hold the "exit referendums are a sign of collapse"-thing too high. At least not high enough for Scotland and Northern Ireland to see.

I don't think they're holding that sign high, I think that's the literal truth.

When you have large parts of the populations, and potentially voting majorities of them, in your member countries clamoring to leave the union, the union is not doing well. I mean sure there's always going to be malcontents, but in this instance it was more than half of Britain and could very well be more than half of the Netherlands, who are likely to hold one soon as well.

They don't like the EU and they don't feel that they're represented in it, and so far the response from the EU has been smug and dismissive.

The Brits leaving could be the kick in the rear end that the EU needs to finally fix its poo poo, or it could be the kick in the rear end that knocks it over.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

cock hero flux posted:

There were certainly people on the Remain side who said that leaving would result in the EU going full scorched earth on Britain, and I think there may have been one or two comments before the referendum that could have been loosely interpreted as threatening, but for the most part since the hammer came down they seem more concerned with preventing damage to their economies than with punishing britain, and preventing damage mostly involves keeping things as similar as possible

it's been one and a half days, give them time

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

We are well on our way now Ladies and Gents. By my count we are a measly 26 more independence referendums from abolishing marriage and everyone fending for themselves. Anarchy will prevaile

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cock hero flux posted:

I don't think they're holding that sign high, I think that's the literal truth.

When you have large parts of the populations, and potentially voting majorities of them, in your member countries clamoring to leave the union, the union is not doing well. I mean sure there's always going to be malcontents, but in this instance it was more than half of Britain and could very well be more than half of the Netherlands, who are likely to hold one soon as well.

They don't like the EU and they don't feel that they're represented in it, and so far the response from the EU has been smug and dismissive.

And you didn't even mention the countries that would overwhelming vote to leave the EU but can't because they are held hostage by debt.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

I think the point that poster was making is, following this same logic if Britian's vote on the referendum results in a new vote for independence in Scotland (which according to their PM seems very likely) then what does that say about the UK as a union?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Earwicker posted:

I think the point that poster was making is, following this same logic if Britian's vote on the referendum results in a new vote for independence in Scotland (which according to their PM seems very likely) then what does that say about the UK as a union?

it's a very fragile one but that's been known for a while

i look forward to the island balkanising, i should be able to get some work in the local fyrd

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

fair enough, this referendum does further play into the Scots feeling that the UK doesn't represent them in the same way that the EU didn't represent the UK

Not sure if the Scots would really vote to leave but it's certainly their prerogative to do so and it's certainly fair for them to call for another referendum after this since it's such a big decision and it's clear that the majority of scotland didn't get what they wanted out of it

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Any move that gives power to UKIP, Nigel Farage and far right parties across Europe is loving stupid

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

corpuscollossus posted:

Any move that gives power to UKIP, Nigel Farage and far right parties across Europe is loving stupid

countries in the EU are already showing large numbers for far right parties because far right parties loving hate the EU and say that they do, and so do a lot of the people

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

So when can we start buying/selling Englishmen into indentured servitude?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Lichy posted:

goddamn if Theresa May become PM we might get actual death camps

It's her, Boris Johnson or Michael Gove. I don't even know who to hope for.

gently caress it I'm just going to become a UKIP MP. You don't need qualifications for that, you just need to throw bricks at brown people right?

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

quote:

Meanwhile, the Ulster Unionist grandee and former MP Lord Kilclooney (aka John Taylor) has some advice for the Irish Republic.

The peer writes: “The exit of the UK from the EU will damage the Republic more than any of the other 26 EU nations. In order to secure Irish beef, lamb and dairy exports into the UK, as well as ensure there will be no barriers along the border, it would be helpful for the Republic to hold a referendum about its future with the EU.”

Instead of NI quitting the UK, how about you guys quit the EU with us? Why not return to the UK as well?

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I wish apple was in charge of the referendum, then you'd either vote remain or dismiss and it'd ask you again in 5 mins until you vote remain.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Sounds fair, you get to be a part of the UK and in return please stop keeping the nice Guinness for yourselves. poo poo's never as good as when I have it in Dublin.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Xtronoc posted:

Instead of NI quitting the UK, how about you guys quit the EU with us? Why not return to the UK as well?

The DUP constantly makes terrible, terrible decisions about the North and then just doubles down and screams 'I BET THE REPUBLICANS DID THIS', not unlike the average /pol/ poster re: the Jews.

It's like asking why don't slaves just go back to hanging out with their slave drivers. Sure they may have made them work the fields all day but at least they kept your teeth in good condition and made sure you weren't hobbled or crippled so you could fetch a good price at market.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I read a few Der Spiegel articles to get some German perspective. Already some veiled threats leveled at Greece:

"Those who are uninterested in reform, those who slide from one emergency aid package to the next, should no longer be stopped if they think they would be better off with their own currency. That is a bitter conclusion, but unity for the sake of unity has lost its value. Now, it is about facts and about getting along. That is of more value than the temptations offered by Russia."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/brexit-presents-europe-with-opportunity-for-improvement-a-1099608.html

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I am loving crying this is comedy gold!

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-trip/explore/promo/seat-sale

Ryanair doing 1 million 1 way tickets out of the UK for £10 each!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

grellgraxer posted:

I read a few Der Spiegel articles to get some German perspective. Already some veiled threats leveled at Greece:

"Those who are uninterested in reform, those who slide from one emergency aid package to the next, should no longer be stopped if they think they would be better off with their own currency. That is a bitter conclusion, but unity for the sake of unity has lost its value. Now, it is about facts and about getting along. That is of more value than the temptations offered by Russia."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/brexit-presents-europe-with-opportunity-for-improvement-a-1099608.html

• Locked thread