Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

mr. stefan posted:

It's acknowledged multiple times in BvS that Batman straight up killing people is a new and bold direction he's taking in the wake of metropolis, not his standard operating procedure.

Also, I don't think that BvS Batman at his absolute lowest would like, point a gun at your head and shoot the gun, or kick your helpless body off the top of a skyscraper, or whatever. He just flies forwards in his jet while spinning his machine gun barrels and if you don't get out of the way then on your head be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Batman is a reckless idiot in BvS. All brawn.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

It's acknowledged multiple times in BvS that Batman straight up killing people is a new and bold direction he's taking in the wake of metropolis, not his standard operating procedure.
Bbbut movie bad wrong Bat-Man

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Bokeem Woodbine is gonna be in Spider Man so, fine, I'll see Spider-Man

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Personally I'd go gor Man-Bat as next movie villain. Or Clock King.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I still want an AzBats movie. Obviously it doesn't have to be a perfect copy of the arc and it doesn't have to be Azrael taking the mantle, just a rough equivalent to show that, for all his flaws, Batman really is a pillar of strength and self-restraint that no one else can replace. A disciple who tragically loses their way in the crazy world of vigilantism and has to be stopped by Batman becoming Batman again would be something to see if it was done well. IMO, anyway.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Judakel posted:

Batman is a reckless idiot in BvS. All brawn.
It's not that he's recklessly violent, it's that Luthor somehow knows his identity and plays him like a harp. This is not supposed to happen to Batman. Batman is one of the smartest people in the DCU, and his field is being the guy who figures out the villain's real plans. He's the World's Greatest Detective.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 25, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

NikkolasKing posted:

I still want an AzBats movie. Obviously it doesn't have to be a perfect copy of the arc and it doesn't have to be Azrael taking the mantle, just a rough equivalent to show that, for all his flaws, Batman really is a pillar of strength and self-restraint that no one else can replace. A disciple who tragically loses their way in the crazy world of vigilantism and has to be stopped by Batman becoming Batman again would be something to see if it was done well. IMO, anyway.

I would rather see mostly original stories utilizing familiar elements than retelling that actual character arc of a lovely character

But this is DC so I know who's more likely to get their wish

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

I would rather see mostly original stories utilizing familiar elements than retelling that actual character arc of a lovely character

But this is DC so I know who's more likely to get their wish
I'm glad to see you're keeping up your record.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kurzon posted:

It's not that he's recklessly violent, it's that Luthor somehow knows his identity and plays him like a harp. This is not supposed to happen to Batman. Batman is one of the smartest people in the DCU, and his field is being the guy who figures out the villain's real plans. He's the World's Greatest Detective.

He is both reckless and an idiot.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
"Ugh, I can't stand it when heroes have flaws, why can't they be perfect all the time"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Batman can make mistakes now and then. When Batman gets duped, like how the Joker duped him in TDK, it's a really big deal because it rarely happens. But BvS takes it too far. He gets suckered thoroughly into killing Superman, and he has to have everything explained to him by Superman and Lois.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Kurzon posted:

And let's keep in mind that after Metropolis, he becomes obsessed with Superman and the alien threat he represents.

Everything else takes a back-seat to it: The immigrant women he rescues? A convenient effect of him going after the russian criminal who might know about Knyazev. Luthor having something to do with russian mercenaries equipped with top of the line weapons? Who cares, he just wants to get at the kryptonite so he can keep the alien in check. Legless dude blows up himself, while having a nice chair that he couldn't have gotten while rejecting his aid checks? It's Superman's fault for letting a building fall on his legs!

It's Batman's obsession with crime turned up to eleven, but instead of focusing on a city, he's focusing on a single person: Superman. And that leads to him not dealing with the russians and Luthor properly, because as far as he's concerned, they're not at the same threat level as Superman.

TL, DR: Batman gets easily duped because he's obsessed with Superman, and believes he must deal with him before anything else, even weirdo billionaires who illegaly import radioactive materials with the help of mercenaries.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm not even sure that Batman was duped, technically speaking? He wasn't acting on false information about Superman's actions or something. Sure, he was made to believe that Wally blew himself up rather than got blown up - but not that Superman had done it or that Superman had deliberately attacked Metropolis or whatever. Like, if Wally had been acting completely on its own, would that have made Batman right to attack Superman where he was wrong to before? Not at all - Batman was convinced that Superman couldn't be allowed to exist, not that he'd committed some specific crime for which he needed to be punished.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Bokeem Woodbine is gonna be in Spider Man so, fine, I'll see Spider-Man

Yep. Him, Michael Mando and Michael Keaton are gonna be villains in some degree. That's a drat fine set of villains.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ferrinus posted:

I'm not even sure that Batman was duped, technically speaking? He wasn't acting on false information about Superman's actions or something. Sure, he was made to believe that Wally blew himself up rather than got blown up - but not that Superman had done it or that Superman had deliberately attacked Metropolis or whatever. Like, if Wally had been acting completely on its own, would that have made Batman right to attack Superman where he was wrong to before? Not at all - Batman was convinced that Superman couldn't be allowed to exist, not that he'd committed some specific crime for which he needed to be punished.

I'm pretty sure Wally did blow himself up. Lex provided the chair and the plan but I'm pretty sure Wally knew what he was doing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Zsasz is one of the dullest, most voguish characters there is but he'd be ok for a Law and Order episode feat. Batman.

Oh look, it's an excuse to post this:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm glad to see you're keeping up your record.

I'm sure this is supposed to be a clever burn but it just reads like nonsense

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm sure this is supposed to be a clever burn but it just reads like nonsense
Much like your etc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the two people I see get poo poo on consistently by comic book/movie/comic book movie fans are Zack Snyder and Bryan Singer. I got nothing on Snyder as the only film I've seen of his at this point is 300, which I hated but which was based on garbage to begin with so it's hardly his fault. Singer has always gotten crap for the X-Men movies, to the point I remember when First Class came out a lot of people called it the first "genuinely good X-Men movie." That kind of irked me since I like X1 and 2. They could have been better but saying they were outright bad? I don't agree.

But anyway, in my binge buying next month I plan to get three Snyder films in Watchmen, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman and one Singer film in Days of Future Past. I'm probably most excited for DOFP 'cuz I love the X-Men but all the talk about BvS has me intrigued by it as well. Watchmen I dunno about, I'll watch it after I read the graphic novel.

I'm just wondering who this thread prefers between Snyder and Singer?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I've never seen anyone give X2 poo poo, per se - At any rate I still think of it as being one of the best superhero movies ever. If it's down between Singer and Snyder, though, I'm going with Snyder, but I don't even really think of them as being in the same ball park. Singer can make good films, but he's really not the outstanding stylist that Snyder is.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Snyder is basically an arthouse director who loves comics and action. While Singer is good, I don't think he's on the same level. Snyder just has such a good sense for imagery, motion, and action.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

They were like action movies. Except the action is broken up by incredibly old men repeating themselves over and over about ideals, and then you get to the action but its bad is matched only by the acting from the miscast majority. Wolverine's being torn apart and healing at the climax of X3 was a far more human moment than featured in either of the first two films. Further, it took until FIRST CLASS for the villain of the series, Magneto, to arrive as previously the character called Magneto was actually a geriatric Magnet Man.

They are so bad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

So the two people I see get poo poo on consistently by comic book/movie/comic book movie fans are Zack Snyder and Bryan Singer. I got nothing on Snyder as the only film I've seen of his at this point is 300, which I hated but which was based on garbage to begin with so it's hardly his fault. Singer has always gotten crap for the X-Men movies, to the point I remember when First Class came out a lot of people called it the first "genuinely good X-Men movie." That kind of irked me since I like X1 and 2. They could have been better but saying they were outright bad? I don't agree.

But anyway, in my binge buying next month I plan to get three Snyder films in Watchmen, Man of Steel and Batman v Superman and one Singer film in Days of Future Past. I'm probably most excited for DOFP 'cuz I love the X-Men but all the talk about BvS has me intrigued by it as well. Watchmen I dunno about, I'll watch it after I read the graphic novel.

I'm just wondering who this thread prefers between Snyder and Singer?

I don't really like any of the Singer X-men films. They're fine, just a little boring to me. I had a real hard time seeing a substantive difference in quality between X1 and X3, which I also think was fine, don't understand the hate it gets. Superman Returns I just hate hate hate.

Snyder I've only seen MoS and BvS. The former I loved and can never get out of my head, the latter I liked a lot but was really flawed and I hope the complete edition fixes some of the problems. Oh I also saw Watchmen which I enjoyed, but I don't remember it that well.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The music videos attached to the Suicide Squad soundtrack have been pretty good, but "Sucker for Pain" is many orders better than "Heatens": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-59jGD4WrmE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

cvnvcnv posted:

They were like action movies. Except the action is broken up by incredibly old men repeating themselves over and over about ideals, and then you get to the action but its bad is matched only by the acting from the miscast majority. Wolverine's being torn apart and healing at the climax of X3 was a far more human moment than featured in either of the first two films. Further, it took until FIRST CLASS for the villain of the series, Magneto, to arrive as previously the character called Magneto was actually a geriatric Magnet Man.

They are so bad.

Old man Magneto was like a hundred times better than muscle man Magneto from the comics. X2 remains the best Singer X-Movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TetsuoTW posted:

Much like your etc.

I mean if you actually have a rebuttal to my claim that DC loves to suck off their past triumphs and ape marvels successes instead of building their own new things, I'd unironically like to hear it, but this is just some straight drive by poo poo posting from some dude whose name I don't recognize but clearly has some salt about me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I would watch a million Zack Snyder superhero movies with the sound off because they are very pretty and shot very well

It's just that Man of Steel is the best one he's done and even that's just okay

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sony's movie chief said that they want Marvel to help them get the new Spiderman Universe off the ground and then Sony are going to take the reigns in expanding the Universe.

Their first plan is a Silver Sable solo film.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/24/sony-reportedly-still-planning-spider-man-universe-silver-sable-/

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

but this is just some straight drive by poo poo posting

Pot v Kettle: Ultimate Edition

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony's movie chief said that they want Marvel to help them get the new Spiderman Universe off the ground and then Sony are going to take the reigns in expanding the Universe.

Their first plan is a Silver Sable solo film.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/06/24/sony-reportedly-still-planning-spider-man-universe-silver-sable-/

I want more poo poo like this, just take a b list character you can do whatever with and run with it

LesterGroans posted:

Pot v Kettle: Ultimate Edition

Hey man I had a point that wasn't just "lol u bad"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hey man I had a point that wasn't just "lol u bad"

Just playing

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you think you had enough Deadpool this year... well he still has marketing work to do in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52z71ty28E

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

If you think you had enough Deadpool this year... well he still has marketing work to do in Japan.

... and in a scant few months he'll have filming work to do in the US. Simon Kinberg revealed yesterday that they're just finishing up the script for the sequel and they're hoping to start filming early in 2017
http://collider.com/deadpool-2-filming-early-2017-simon-kinberg/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bet you Reynolds will be like Adam West was for most of his post-Batman career. Donning the suit for store openings and whatnot... except instead of doing it for lack of legitimate work/money, he'll do it unannounced and for shits and giggles.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Just playing

In the words of DMX, you think this is a loving game????

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of all the characters Sony could do standalone, wouldn't Black Cat be the no brainer? Sexy femme fatale with a decent backstory of having to fight organized crime. And a cool power set that could be very cinematic, just grab someone from the final destination flicks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Yeah, Batman can make mistakes now and then. When Batman gets duped, like how the Joker duped him in TDK, it's a really big deal because it rarely happens. But BvS takes it too far. He gets suckered thoroughly into killing Superman, and he has to have everything explained to him by Superman and Lois.

Doesn't Batman get duped in all three Nolan movies? In the first one he falls for the fake Ra's Al Ghul, such that he saves the real villain of the movie from a burning building, leading to the fear gas attack on Gotham. In the second one, as you say, the Joker tricks him several times. In the third one, he once again gets tricked by the Al Ghul family, this time handing over to them the bomb they use to take Gotham hostage. The guy wins in those movies because he has perseverance and better technology, not because he isn't getting continuously fooled.

greatn posted:

Of all the characters Sony could do standalone, wouldn't Black Cat be the no brainer? Sexy femme fatale with a decent backstory of having to fight organized crime. And a cool power set that could be very cinematic, just grab someone from the final destination flicks.

Nah, Sony has resigned themselves too much to aping Marvel's lead to make a film starring a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, Sony has resigned themselves too much to aping Marvel's lead to make a film starring a woman.

Unless there's a joke I'm missing here, Silver Sable is a woman.

• Locked thread