Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Why don't they want to stick around? What are the push factors, and what are the pull factors? Why have the NZRU been able to retain young talent with international experience ranging from Brodie Retallick or Aaron Smith, who are set to play their 50th this coming weekend assuming they're picked, to Patrick Tuipulotu or Lima Sopoaga? Tuipulotu and Sopoaga would likely be constantly bombarded with offers being Pasifika which exempts them from the Kolpak requirements, so why haven't they leaped? Why did Cory Jane stick around for so long, even after he missed out on the All Blacks repeatedly in the last few seasons?

Australian rugby was in rude health in the early 2000s, so what's changed?

What's changed is that NRL and AFL both have >$1bn TV contracts and are pouring a huge amount of money into grassroots that the ARU doesn't have. Also, the huge amounts of money floating around in European Rugby are much bigger than ~2000. Fact is even SA is suffering from this. Only NZ with its huge pool of players is skating by relatively unharmed. There's more to it, I know. A Smith and B Retallick are obviously sticking around to play for the ABs (but so have many WBs). The ARU could learn a lot from the NZRU, for sure. But any improvement can only be marginal IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

League and AFL existed when Australia won 2 WCs iirc?

Vagabundo posted:

Why don't they want to stick around? What are the push factors, and what are the pull factors? Why have the NZRU been able to retain young talent with international experience ranging from Brodie Retallick or Aaron Smith, who are set to play their 50th this coming weekend assuming they're picked, to Patrick Tuipulotu or Lima Sopoaga? Tuipulotu and Sopoaga would likely be constantly bombarded with offers being Pasifika which exempts them from the Kolpak requirements, so why haven't they leaped? Why did Cory Jane stick around for so long, even after he missed out on the All Blacks repeatedly in the last few seasons?

Australian rugby was in rude health in the early 2000s, so what's changed?

Australian Rugby was in rude health when the AFL (which was the Victorian Football League until 1990, and had only really finished expanding to become a national competition in the late 90s with a move from the semi-professionalism that had reigned only really arriving in the early 2000s) and the NRL (having only just gotten out of the "Superleague" War, and also having only just started trying to expand as a national competition) were at their collective weakest. Australian Soccer was a very ethnic thing, and the Wallabies were winning. It's pretty much the Perfecta as far as the ARU goes.

For the rest, the AFL and NRL blow the ARU out in terms of pure money. Rugby got a sweet TV deal, but everyone else got a better one. To quote an SMH article:

quote:

And ARU chief executive Bill Pulver also indicated that the five-year SANZAR package expected to be revealed in the New Year when the last of its 11 contracts are finalised, should be close to $1 billion. The AFL's contract is valued at $2.5b for 2017 to 2022, while the NRL's deal is worth $1.8b for 2018 to 2022.

Super Rugby just feels like it has no exposure in Melbourne and Sydney (and I assume it's the same in Perth and Brisbane). I mean, there are teams there and people know they exist, but aside from 15 seconds on the news, they don't exist on Free-to-Air. And a part of that is the fact that no free-to-air network has the rights to the games and thus no free-to-air network feels like putting in any time pumping it up and alienating the fans who watch for other codes when they could be talking about the other codes and solidifying their markets. Canberra is sort of the exception, but that's mostly because the Brumbies are the only not-constantly-embarrassing team Canberra has (I remember all the teeth gnashing when they went from being the ACT Brumbies to just being the Brumbies, and how insecure Canberra was about losing them to Melbourne or Adelaide).
The Wallabies get a fair bit of exposure because they're the only one of the three main codes who have a national team that actually plays against opposition. Having said that, they lose to New Zealand a lot, and to England a bit, and that's just not acceptable in Australian sport.

How do you fix that?
I don't know, get every kid in Australia to go to cloistered private schools? (I would also suggest growing up in Canberra, but I did that and I'm scarred for life)

I think the real answer is to set up a legitimate pipeline and pathway for kids to come through to the higher levels (at the moment it's a state-comp club to Super Rugby jump, here's to hoping the ARC fixes that) and for the ARU to move to accepting that if they want to be able to invest into grassroots Rugby (at the moment a lot of it is done by private schools), they're going to need to also accept that most of the superstars are not going to play in Australia and to set up a Wallabies framework that fits that into reality. Also, to not be trying to lure over Israel Folau's over from League - they're good but they cost so much money.
And in the mean time, Wallabies fans are going to have to accept that the team is going to suck.

EDIT: Apparently not waking up on Sunday mornings has robbed me of my ability to occasionally watch Waratahs commentary teams dissect why the Brumbies are poo poo and the Waratahs are better on TV.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Schlesische posted:

EDIT: Apparently not waking up on Sunday mornings has robbed me of my ability to occasionally watch Waratahs commentary teams dissect why the Brumbies are poo poo and the Waratahs are better on TV.

Mate, if you're talking about Offsiders with the occasional Georgina Robinson commentary, you should know that they spend 29 minutes of that show talking about AFL, NRL, Soccer, Cricket, Tennis, AFL, AFL, AFL, NRL, NRL, Swimming, AFL, AFL, Netball, and AFL. Then they spend the last minute dissecting why the Brumbies are poo poo and the Waratahs are better (which is God's own truth, by the way).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Mate, if you're talking about Offsiders with the occasional Georgina Robinson commentary, you should know that they spend 29 minutes of that show talking about AFL, NRL, Soccer, Cricket, Tennis, AFL, AFL, AFL, NRL, NRL, Swimming, AFL, AFL, Netball, and AFL. Then they spend the last minute dissecting why the Brumbies are poo poo and the Waratahs are better (which is God's own truth, by the way).

When did Offsiders add more than the score when talking about Rugby.

No, apparently Channel 10 replay a game of the week at some point in the morning.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

All Blacks team was named this morning:

1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read (C)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Julian Savea
12. Ryan Crotty
13. George Moala
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Dagg

16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
19. Luke Romano
20. Liam Squire
21. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
22. Lima Sopoaga
23. Waisake Naholo

And the Welsh team
1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens
3. Tomas Francis
4. Luke Charteris
5. Alun Wyn Jones
6. Ross Moriarty
7. Sam Warburton (C)
8. Taulape Faletau
9. Rhys Webb
10. Dan Biggar
11. Hallam Amos
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Liam Williams
15. Rhys Patchell

16. Scott Baldwin
17. Aaron Jarvis
18. Samson Lee
19. Jake Ball
20. Ellis Jenkins
21. Gareth Davies
22. Rhys Priestland
23. Scott Williams

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Racing recovered from a really soft 1st half red card to beat Toulon 29-21 in the Top 14 final.

It was French as gently caress, loads of kicks and only 3 tries scored, would love to congratulate Racing on toppling the evil empire of Toulon but considering it took bringing in Dan Carter to do it I doubt it'll buck the trend of big name imports in the French league.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Holy poo poo.. that New Zealand scrum :aaa:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sorry Tyma, I don't think Wales are going to win this one. :smug:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Aaron Smith has been amazing this match.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
Barrett's been around for a while now but it still astonishes me how quick he is.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Painkiller posted:

Barrett's been around for a while now but it still astonishes me how quick he is.

Here's my take: he's good.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Here's my take: he's good.

A Correct and Good opinion right here

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Well that was a loving lesson.

I haven't rated Dagg for ages, but he had a great game. Back three of Barrett, Smith, Dagg please.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Dagg really deserved that final try

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Painkiller posted:

He's only 25 too :)

It's really hard to pick between him and Cruden as Barrett is far more dangerous with the ball in hand but Cruden is a much more creative kicker. I think the coaches have got the right idea of starting Cruden and then letting Barrett run at tired defenders.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Welp, Australia and England have exchanged roles today.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Lawes comes on and someone else late tackles. Who knew.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

i love mike brown

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I love Nigel telling brown to gently caress off! Also why are the gold and green allowed to fly over every ruck off the ground? Doesn't seem very fair.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Raffles posted:

i love mike brown

Really? He looks like a real arsehole, like a Jamie Vardy type who is who'd just be a scum petty criminal if he wasn't good at sports.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Hah, Ford just hit the overhead camera with a Garyowen

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Some proper comedy tries here.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

well done lads. Good game.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Irish Commentator for the IRE-SA test just said:

"hopefully this tour will end better for Ireland than Tiger Wood's marriage" :iceburn:

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
red cards are reserved for the away team i guess

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Swan Curry posted:

red cards are reserved for the away team i guess

As an SA fan that's what I was thinking. I think the fact he landed on his back and not head was the deciding factor.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Glen Jackson posted:

"He's landed on the top of his shoulders so in that case it's a yellow card,"

What. The. gently caress.

No it doesn't you utter cretin.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Standing next to a player = 10 meters away.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
that's the strong defensive reading that trimble is in the squad over more exciting wingers for

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
an interception by the shortest player on the pitch, christ almighty

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Great play by de Klerk. SA still kicking the ball away too much like old times though. Ireland played really well and were the better team on the field.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
How can a coach look at players so tired that they're walking around the pitch and not take them off? We have a good bench with serious impact players, putting them on with only ten minutes to go when the starters are exhausted is just pointless

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey guys. The Olympics are coming up and I was checking out all the weird hipster sports I don't usually get to watch, and turns out rugby sevens is a thing. Apparently it's like regular rugby, but with half the people and played over a lunch break?

I'm from the EU so I've never watched rugby. Tell me about lunch break rugby.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Siivola posted:

Hey guys. The Olympics are coming up and I was checking out all the weird hipster sports I don't usually get to watch, and turns out rugby sevens is a thing. Apparently it's like regular rugby, but with half the people and played over a lunch break?

I'm from the EU so I've never watched rugby. Tell me about lunch break rugby.

Pretty much right, it's 7 mins (Finals are usually 10 mins) each way with 7 player's a side. A lot more emphasis is placed on not getting tackled than in normal rugby. That goes for both side, if you've tackled someone or get tackled then you're both out of the game whilst you stand up so that's huge when it's only 7 a side. The rules are effectively the same as the 15 man game. Here is a randomly selected game that you should watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GdPADDdFlA

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 29, 2016

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
i loving hate sevens so much

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sevens is good and fun and loving shattering to play. Not so fond of watching it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
lovely news for the Lions as Whitely is out for 6 weeks.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Champions Cup Pools 2016/2017

Pool 1: Racing 92, Glasgow Warriors, Leicester Tigers, Munster

Pool 2: Connacht, Wasps, Toulouse, Zebre

Pool 3: Saracens, Toulon, Scarlets, Sale Sharks

Pool 4: Leinster, Montpellier, Northampton Saints, Castres

Pool 5: Exeter Chiefs, Clermont, Ulster, Bordeaux-Bègles

Challenge Cup Pools 2016/2017

Pool 1: La Rochelle, Gloucester, Treviso, Bayonne

Pool 2: Ospreys, Grenoble, Newcastle Falcons, Lyon

Pool 3: Brive, Worcester Warriors, Newport Gwent Dragons, Enisei-STM

Pool 4: Cardiff Blues, Bath, Pau, Bristol

Pool 5: Harlequins, Edinburgh, Stade Français, Timisoara Saracens

Pool 1 in the Champions Cup looks pretty brutal.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Spot the odd team out in the Challenge Cup

Another very tough pool for Glasgow, at least they've got a few guaranteed points in Munster

Pool 5 has one Irish team and three Irish outhalves; Paddy Jackson for Ulster, Gareth Steenson for Exeter and Ian Madigan for Bordeaux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Swan Curry posted:

Spot the odd team out in the Challenge Cup

I'm so pissed off that we didn't get drawn against Enisei. I actually had the visa application form ready to fill in.