Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The nice thing about the certification is it only applies to commercial sUAS operation. Hobbyists don't need to worry about Part 107.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Are you required to register your model airplane?

SIG Kadet Senior would be about 6 lbs if I am thinking about it right

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yes, but the rule is dumb. You register here: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

You get a registration number, and your registration number is transferrable between any aircraft you fly. It's really registering yourself, so that if you smack your drone into a kid the FAA can figure out who is responsible. Registration costs $5.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What if I'm a 10 year old boy at a model airplane AMA sanctioned field?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Safety Dance posted:

The nice thing about the certification is it only applies to commercial sUAS operation. Hobbyists don't need to worry about Part 107.
FPV flying will be covered under Part 107 only so all drone racing leagues will need to be 107 compliant. At least there is an FAA sanctioned way to FPV now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

Then you're not commercial.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

If that weird old guy offers to show you his growler model in his van, don't accept.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

You gotta be thirteen to be the remote pilot in charge, so I think you need to have an adult on a buddy box. Either that, or maybe you just have to have an adult nearby making sure you don't fly your Super Cub into a 747. Consult your lawyer / your local AMA field's rules.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Found this video on YT of a loving awesome airshow in Switzerland. Live shooting, Gripens, F20s, the lot. You'll love it. Action starts at about 7 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/oHMuuy6rl-s

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Remote pilot in charge is a real term?

LOL

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Remote pilot in charge is a real term?

LOL

The cyber punk future is here, and it is super lame.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sorry, it's Remote Pilot In Command. My bad.

quote:

For the reasons discussed below, this rule will remove the proposed crewmember
position of “operator” and will instead create a new position of “remote pilot in command.”
The remote pilot in command will have the final authority and responsibility for the
operation and safety of a small UAS operation conducted under part 107. Additionally, the
remote pilot in command will be required to obtain a remote pilot certificate with a small
UAS rating. However, an uncertificated person will be permitted to manipulate the flight
controls of a small UAS as long as he or she is directly supervised by a remote pilot in
command and the remote pilot in command has the ability to immediately take direct
control of the small unmanned aircraft. Finally, in case of an in-flight emergency, the
remote pilot in command will be permitted to deviate from any rule of part 107 to the
extent necessary to meet that emergency. A remote pilot in command who exercises this
emergency power to deviate from the rules of part 107 will be required, upon FAA request,
to send a written report to the FAA explaining the deviation.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf page 94 if you want a lot of dry discussion about why they chose "Remote Pilot In Command".

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Sat in a very cool chair today :cool:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
drat, there's something I want to share about P&W and Airbus, but I can't find any news of it on the internet, so it's probably internal information still. But you won't find any A320neo's in the air for the rest of this month.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

monkeytennis posted:

Found this video on YT of a loving awesome airshow in Switzerland. Live shooting, Gripens, F20s, the lot. You'll love it. Action starts at about 7 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/oHMuuy6rl-s

The F-5's are so tiny! :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So while I know this thread has to do with *real* planes, pretty much the only good thing in the Independence Day sequel were the strategic bombers. They looked like a cross between the jet in 'Firefox' and a fixed-wing B-1B.

Hint: They're the ones that don't look like Lockmart's wet dream for the F/A-221 Super Flanker Strike Raptor.

EDIT: A closer look:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 24, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ehnus posted:

The F-5's are so tiny! :3:
Yeah, it's like WWI-size. The Sopwith Camel had a bigger wingspan (28' vs. 26'8"), though the F-5 is 3x as long and 16x the weight, hooray jet engines.

Technically a T-38, but close enough, especially since it was in the pattern between B-52s; that's not cropped at 300mm, this is also uncropped at 120mm, same position/distance from me:

For scale, the T-38/F-5's wingspan is about as wide as one of the BUFF's horizontal stabs. An F-15 (which is pretty big for a fighter)'s wingspan is ten feet less than the B-52's tailspan. :eek:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The B-52's wingspan is also longer than the Wright Brothers' first flight.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If I could own any airplane, I think it would be a T-38/F-5.

If they are good enough for the astronauts they're good enough for me.

Something something fuel range something something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Comparisonchat: The #2 engine nacelle on a DC-10 is remarkably similar in dimensions to the fuselage of a DC-3.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Captain Apollo posted:

If I could own any airplane, I think it would be a T-38/F-5.

If they are good enough for the astronauts they're good enough for me.

Something something fuel range something something.

There's a guy on HBA who's working on a say.. 1/2 scale falcon. with bespoke engine. With plans to use the engine in other jet designs.

I think he's got traction. I think we'll at ~least~ see a prototype airframe, if not a demo at oshkosh one of these years.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...

Safety Dance posted:

You gotta be thirteen to be the remote pilot in charge, so I think you need to have an adult on a buddy box. Either that, or maybe you just have to have an adult nearby making sure you don't fly your Super Cub into a 747. Consult your lawyer / your local AMA field's rules.

Tell that to this kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJs1gBLiuQ

There are videos of him just "flying" at 4.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

PCHOOOOO
(Air Force One on approach to Seatac)

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Zoom out a little and point the camera down and to the right a bit please.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drunkill posted:

Zoom out a little and point the camera down and to the right a bit please.

Annnnnd cue three pages' worth of 'the Connie is gorgeous/ugly' back-and-forth posting. :smith:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

PCHOOOOO
(Air Force One on approach to Seatac)

This right here is how trolling is done. Bravo. :golfclap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Connie is just an attempt to distract us from the interdimensional portal opening up to abduct Obama to force immigration reform.

"Call us illegal aliens, will they? We'll see about that, no-good overgrown pink monkeys..."

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Still wonder why they chose SeaTac over their normal Boeing Field stop for this trip...?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The presidential TFR would shut them both down equally either way.

Scheduled air carriers still get allowances to move around when the Pres isn't in the immediate process of arriving or leaving.

EDIT, Oh, I thought you said something about shutting the field down. Either an edit or I misread. Ignore me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Annnnnd cue three pages' worth of 'the Connie is gorgeous/ugly' back-and-forth posting. :smith:

Here I'll stave it off:

"The F-16 and F-18 are literally worse than a billion Hitlers and I get a lil' chub every time one crashes."

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

agreed, dta

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Here I'll stave it off:

"The F-16 and F-18 are literally worse than a billion Hitlers and I get a lil' chub every time one crashes."

If we still had the F-104 we could kill those billion Hitlers and be home in time for lunch. Where's my crying Starfighter emote?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Sat in a very cool chair today :cool:

So sad it was closed a couple weeks back, had to take pictures through the fence.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bonzoesc/albums/72157670222898775

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

hogmartin posted:

If we still had the F-104 we could kill those billion Hitlers and be home in time for lunch. Where's my crying Starfighter emote?

In a smoking crater in the desert

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a place where you can pay for seat time in a true simulator? I would absolutely love to try a 737 sim or something along those lines and would pay for the opportunity (within reason of course).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I thought certified sims were $beaucoup but an hour is only about £300. Hurray for brexit

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

Is there a place where you can pay for seat time in a true simulator? I would absolutely love to try a 737 sim or something along those lines and would pay for the opportunity (within reason of course).

Pan-Am Academy has a pilot-for-a-day program. They don't list prices, though. I know they have a location across the street from KMIA, and others elsewhere in the country.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Qantas allows you to trade a non-trivial amount of frequent flyer points for time in one of their 747 simulators, shared with another person. Many many years ago, I was lucky enough to fly a Cathay Pacific 747-200 simulator via the same arrangement, but I don't know if they still do this.

Edit: You can purchase the Qantas simulator experience for AUD$1,499. A bit steep, but also very cool.

Smirk fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 25, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slidebite posted:

Delta’s museum in Atlanta has a 737 sim.

quote:

Simulator guests will receive a 10- minute pre-flight briefing, 45 minutes of flight time and a 5-minute review at the end of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Deeters posted:

In a smoking crater in the desert Western Europe