Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AtomikKrab posted:

My thoughts

Benjamin is not going to die soon or if soon in any means easily. those nen beasts are driven by will and he got a "gently caress YOUR poo poo" stance this chapter showing off his determination. Oddly he does not seem to be interested in outright murdering the other princes, not that he has any problem with them killing each other off, but his first and foremost goal is not being killed himself. This is actually a logical move from his part as he is the first prince and thus presumably the one with the biggest target on his back, he may simply see playing defensively as his advantage until they reach the point that he can safely unleash his troops to wrap things up.

This was mistranslated. Benjamin is going to play defensively. But he is not talking about himself dying. He is saying the other Princes should hope that they get killed by someone else. Because he will do more then just kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The biggest question about these murders is "why did none of the nen users get targeted?". All the guards that were killed were presumably normal people and all the hunters are not being corralled by Kurapika. It makes some sense if the Nen creature is the one consuming them and it's smart enough to notice that people with a stronger aura aren't viable targets at the moment.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

The biggest question about these murders is "why did none of the nen users get targeted?". All the guards that were killed were presumably normal people and all the hunters are not being corralled by Kurapika. It makes some sense if the Nen creature is the one consuming them and it's smart enough to notice that people with a stronger aura aren't viable targets at the moment.

It could be building strength before risking taking on a nen user.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That's what I think. If that's the case I wonder how the other Princes are experiencing similar situations. Or maybe Wobble's has to resort to this because it's source is an infant and the amount of aura she can contribute is minimal. I'll be interested to see if any other prince is also dealing with mysterious deaths next chapter.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Maybe it's just statistics: most guards are just normal people, bodyguards, guns for hire, etc, only a few will be hunters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clarste posted:

Well, I suppose there are enough third parties already, but honestly I can't see much of a motivation for anyone but the people we already know. It's not like being on the boat has any intrinsic value.

So a prince can have deniable assets, of course.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Crain posted:

I'm like 60% sure Gon is going to become a Rock Lee kinda character. Kid is freaky strong without Nen already, and he's not even hit puberty.

Anyone who becomes extremely proficient in something develops Nen. Hell, Netero probably discovered his own Nen from his punch meditation (and then founded the school that codifies all discussion of Nen).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Gon just needs a full on Nen baptism or he could maybe acquire some spooky powers from the Dark Continent

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't wanna see Gon in this arc in anything other than maybe a cameo appearance, but I'd be surprised if they didn't discover some miraculous way to get him is nen back while exploring the Dark Continent.

Tangentially, I'd also be surprised if Prince Benjamin didn't already know a little nen himself. Say what you will about the guy, he seems the most inclined toward pushing his body past the normal limitations of human ability.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe someone told Tserreidnich that nen was a special power inside of you so that's why he's slicing up beors to try and find the nen glands.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nen isn't that big a secret when you consider the audiences at the arena. Every person in that audience must be able to at least perceive aura or else there would be no point in watching. I'd guess that all of the frontrunner princes are at least aware nen exists even if they cannot use it themselves.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

That's the biggest problem I have with Nen. It's supposed to be all hush-hush, Hunter Organization secret, but you cannot stop people from disclosing these things to friends, family, the public, etc. Hey man, go ask for a pitcher of water and watch as I turn that poo poo into beer.

By the way, Phinks learned his nen ability because he was a master class masturbater. Decades of dedication gave him that OP ability.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Please speak to a doctor because either you're masturbating wildly incorrectly or have the world's most novel penis

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

If nen was real what ability would everyone have just by sheer dedication without even about knowing about nen? I'd be Goku because I dream about being him all the time.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Someone up earlier in the thread mentioned the relay island for the actual dark continent expedition possibly being Whale Island. If that were true, I think that would be a good time to reintroduce Gon, and maybe Killua to the story. They could wrap up Kurapika and Leorio's Succession War arc, and then continue to Whale Island and pick up the homeboys for the actual Dark Continent arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I kind of doubt that whale island has a fuel depot large enough to accommodate a boat the size of a city. Heck, the boat is probably bigger than every settlement on whale island combined. It is the booniest of the boonies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think it makes any sense for Whale Island to be the refueling station, geographically. Whale Island is supposed to be in the middle of an ocean with a lot of traffic, since they talk about sailors stopping there a lot. Not to mention that both Leorio and Kurapika had to go through it to get to the Hunter Exam. It simply doesn't make any sense for it to be right on the edge of the known world.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I don't really have much trouble believing nen is a secret thing because training it is such a personal experience that it just can't be transmitted to the masses at large, and at any rate humans in the HxH world are more than capable of performing superhuman feats without having the slightest clue about its existence. Gon was freakishly strong for a 12 year old, and Killua was leaving afterimages behind him just walking around. Nen is not really something you 'get' until you feel it in your literal flesh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nen isn't that big a secret when you consider the audiences at the arena. Every person in that audience must be able to at least perceive aura or else there would be no point in watching. I'd guess that all of the frontrunner princes are at least aware nen exists even if they cannot use it themselves.

Nah that's not true. Every single fight we have seen in the arena it did not really matter if one could see Aura or not. Most people watching probably just think they have weird powers, but have no idea how it works.

Bad Seafood posted:

Tangentially, I'd also be surprised if Prince Benjamin didn't already know a little nen himself. Say what you will about the guy, he seems the most inclined toward pushing his body past the normal limitations of human ability.

He did wrestle a Lion to death while talking with someone on the phone. It's also stated he has a lot of Military Experience so I would not be surprised ether. With East Gortou we even saw that some of the Palace Soldiers had Nen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

On the other hand whale island had a buncha supertornados aroudn it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It probably helps that most uses of nen are invisible to the uninitiated, even when recorded. Also, when Hisoka was really obvious about it most of the witnesses figured it must be some kind of trick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

It probably helps that most uses of nen are invisible to the uninitiated, even when recorded. Also, when Hisoka was really obvious about it most of the witnesses figured it must be some kind of trick.

He is a Magician

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nah, this isn't true. Heck, the announcer's comments in some fights show that the people there can't see a lot of the weirdness that goes on there, even among the staff. (The one lady having no idea what Hisoka was doing when Gon and Killua tried to enter the 200th floor that one time is another bit of evidence there.) Though most of the time that doesn't matter; while they can't see Hisoka's Bungee Gum, for example, they can still see his cards flying around, and things like Kastro's double (a conjured clone) or Gido's tops (real tops controlled by nen) don't need nen to be observed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't really see why anyone would risk their lives to watch a fight they where they were incapable of understanding what was going on. What's more, that would mean they did so regularly without ever seeking out answers about why the fights on floor 200 and up were special.

The manga never really said either way, but I think it makes more sense that they could at least perceive nen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hisoka's fight against Kastro was cool as gently caress even without knowing the nen shenanigans, and knowing 'this guy has magic tops' or 'this guy is so fast it's like he can be in two places at once' is good enough for comprehension. Hisoka's "I am a literal stage magician" gimmick works well enough, and he's flashy enough to please the crowd.

Remember how he did that card trick in the middle of the fight for no reason? That was badass.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't really see why anyone would risk their lives to watch a fight they where they were incapable of understanding what was going on. What's more, that would mean they did so regularly without ever seeking out answers about why the fights on floor 200 and up were special.

The manga never really said either way, but I think it makes more sense that they could at least perceive nen.

It did say. The announcer and the audience in general literally couldn't see some of the things that happened; she explicitly stated that what she was seeing should be impossible and couldn't tell why some things were happening. Unless she was putting on a show for people who didn't know nen and was trying to keep it a secret, at a place where you're arguing literally everyone who would be watching would know about nen and they wouldn't care about it being secret anyway, that makes no sense.

Besides that, if you're saying that this couldn't work because it doesn't make sense, does it make sense that they'd risk their lives to watch it if they could see all the stuff going on, and thus understood how potentially deadly the fights actually are? No. The people just don't think they're going to die when they go watch a fight. That's why things like Hisoka and Chrollo's fight having a major death toll like that was treated like a big deal and was reported on the news the way a terrorist incident would be. Normally, the people there generally don't expect to die horribly because they went to watch modern gladiatorial combat. If they did, they just wouldn't go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They didn't run away screaming. They stayed to watch the match, even after Hisoka started killing everyone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's killing audience plants. I mean look, they're all running out of the seats to fight him!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are hisokas cards conjured or real? :can:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Emitted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He'd be pretty poor magician if he couldn't keep a card or two hidden on his person at all times.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I always thought the cards were real, and just really sharp or sharpened with Bungee Gum.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

I always thought the cards were real, and just really sharp or sharpened with Bungee Gum.

They're real, but it's just a basic nen trick; Wing does the same thing with a page of paper when he's teaching Gon and Killua about nen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

They didn't run away screaming. They stayed to watch the match, even after Hisoka started killing everyone.

Something Hisoka remarked was weird.

People that were caught in the fight did panic and run away screaming, along with some people in other stands. Coco told the audience to calm down quite a few times as panicking would make things worse. The audince getting caught up in the fight is not something that happened normally there. If it was the news would not have reported on it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MonsterEnvy posted:

Something Hisoka remarked was weird.

People that were caught in the fight did panic and run away screaming, along with some people in other stands. Coco told the audience to calm down quite a few times as panicking would make things worse. The audince getting caught up in the fight is not something that happened normally there. If it was the news would not have reported on it.

And then it was revealed that a large portion of the audience were actually clones that Chrollo had made ahead of time. They didn't run away because he didn't order them to.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

They're real, but it's just a basic nen trick; Wing does the same thing with a page of paper when he's teaching Gon and Killua about nen.

they're also so basic he could conjure them easily

like the steel beams from the hisoka side chapter

can conjured steel beams be melted by jet fuel

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 25, 2016

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Could you transmute your aura into crystals? Or would that be conjuring? It'd be cool if someone could like, turn their aura into a diamond-consistently to make both cool barriers around them or rad claws/blades.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

they're also so basic he could conjure them easily

like the steel beams from the hisoka side chapter

can conjured steel beams be melted by jet fuel

Why would he bother, though? They're so cheap, plentiful, and easy to obtain that devoting valuable time and headspace (remember his lecture to Kastro before he killed him) to them is just not worth it; he could either spend aura on the cards and maintain them, at a distance at that (Conjuration may be adjacent to Transmutation, but Emission is not), or he could drop some jenny every so often on as many cards as he wants and have the exact same utility (beyond being able to make cards out of nothing, but he's such a skilled magician that he has no need to cheat) without anywhere near the effort or the drawbacks making the cards would entail.

Also in that same Kastro fight it's explicitly stated that Bungee Gum and Texture Surprise are his only two powers and he prides himself on only needing those to be as powerful as he is, but even setting that aside there's really no reason at all he'd waste time on conjuring cards.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well other than smashing the poo poo out of things and cards not really counting and also being easy to lose even with the powers of rubber and gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I don't really remember that part very well. Whenever they go into details of explaining nen I don't pay much attention to it