Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i derive a lot of satisfaction from the probable house price crash - a lot of spivs are going to wind up cold and hungry at the end of this - and also that london for once is being told what to do by the rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

Gibraltar should not go to Spain, it should become a 100% independent country with it's own separate government, police force, healthcare system, school system, army, navy, air force, olympic team, each of these staffed by like 15 people

Gibraltar should become part of Morocco, just to mess with Spain.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

chaosbreather posted:

"When the Daily Mail comments section of leave voters are concerned you know we're well and truly hosed."

They made their bed, now they have to sleep in it :ughh:

Feel bad for the 48% though :(

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

gleebster posted:

Gibraltar should become part of Morocco, just to mess with Spain.

no, they should give it to catalonia

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ewan posted:

To be fair, the meltdown is far from limited to D&D. The resentment is widespread among Londoners and more broadly younger voters across the country. There has for a while been some resentment towards the older generation, as it is often perceived their reckless finances of the 80s and 90s has caused today's younger generation to grow up in a world of debt, where buying a house is nigh on impossible for anyone but the richest, with the older generation having seen their assets multiplied hugely and with gold-plated pensions often backed by the taxpayer. It is now this same older generation that, based on long-entrenched anti-EU prejudices, have voted for a future that disadvantages the younger generation while likely having little effect on them.

There is similar resentment towards those Leave votes who did it for the immigration. It is clear that there are plenty of Leave voters who did so based on views that the economy would be better off outside of the EU. These voters I respect. But there is a large chunk of Leave voters who did it as they have been brought up to blame their life's problems on the EU and immigrants, and others who fell hook, line and sinker for the "take back control" argument which has no real basis in reality.

This comment from the Financial Times website sums up the feelings very articulately.

http://imgur.com/kIhnUFd

Hahaha that comment is loving awesome. They actually list missed friendship opportunities as a real tragedy stemming from the Brexit. No wonder these spoiled children are getting obliterated by common sense and reality on both sides of the ocean.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Give Gibraltar to France and start a glorious war against Englands long time enemies

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hahahah it's almost worth losing to see everyone who thought they won eat so much poo poo.

Wait until petrol goes up a couple of pence in a few weeks. That'll be the apocalypse.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

what happens to that aircraft carrier blighty is sharing with the frogs?

:ohdear:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Berious posted:

Wait until petrol goes up a couple of pence in a few weeks. That'll be the apocalypse.

FEELING THE PAIN AT THE PUMP : THE PRICE OF FREEDOM IS 3p TOO HIGH

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

what happens to that aircraft carrier blighty is sharing with the frogs?

:ohdear:

is that the one with no planes?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hogge Wild posted:

is that the one with no planes?

yeah that one

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
So Scotland want's to vote again to break away from England ? Didn't they just have a Referendum ?

So now we're just going to keep voting until the "right" result occurs ?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Decebal posted:

So Scotland want's to vote again to break away from England ? Didn't they just have a Referendum ?

welcome to Europe!

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
the british are far too cowardly as weak as a people to ever form their own nation and all of this dumb poo poo will be water under the bridge in a few weeks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cock hero flux posted:

you're assuming the EU is a thing that is going to continue to exist

other countries are now pushing for exit referendums. If the EU tries to really crack down on Britain for trying to leave they show themselves as exactly the kind of union you don't want to be a part of, and if they don't and a bunch of other countries vote to leave the EU will slowly deflate and die

the only real hope for the EU right now is that they give the Brits a fair deal and then really commit to reforming, and then other countries that hold leave votes don't pass them. then it could survive.

look at you acting all surprised that the EU is striving for an ever greater Union when it's written in their constitution lol

here's what happens in the next 20 years:

eu falls apart as xenophobic sentiment rises and is bolstered by Russian money and the left sinking in the rut of identity politics

Russia annexed everything it wants to annex

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Decebal posted:

A lot of the Scots voted to stay in order to have the protection of the EU which wasn't guaranteed if they left. There was a lot of lies from London too, which they're well aware of in hindsight. I bet if the Scots leave now, the EU will keep them in with no issues just to spite the remains of the UK.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lichy posted:

look at you acting all surprised that the EU is striving for an ever greater Union when it's written in their constitution lol

here's what happens in the next 20 years:

eu falls apart as xenophobic sentiment rises and is bolstered by Russian money and the left sinking in the rut of identity politics

Russia annexed everything it wants to annex

I think russia wants the entire Ukraine dude

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Decebal posted:

Maybe this will be a chance for the Monarchy to start playing a more prominent role in politics ! That way, if the democratic results are inconvenient they could just override them

I love the rule of the mob too

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Decebal posted:

They have a good case. No told Scots the only way to guarantee EU membership was to reject independence. Scots love them some EU and voted heavily to remain. The SNP campaigned and won on a manifesto of another vote if we vote out.

They should run for the hills IMO

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

hemophilia posted:

sorry that was a typo meant to say it annexes

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hemophilia posted:

nah the western bits are kinda lovely and make for a decent buffer against NATO, they just want the good bits

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gaze upon the face of the man with no fucks to give. Shorts britain, votes leave, hails satan every day.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

EL BROMANCE posted:

A lot of the Scots voted to stay in order to have the protection of the EU which wasn't guaranteed if they left. There was a lot of lies from London too, which they're well aware of in hindsight. I bet if the Scots leave now, the EU will keep them in with no issues just to spite the remains of the UK.

this will be glorious :allears:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lichy posted:

sorry that was a typo meant to say it annexes

More like "annexes everything it wants to annex and economically intimidates whatever it can't annex by shutting off the natural gas pipelines".

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

wit posted:

Gaze upon the face of the man with no fucks to give. Shorts britain, votes leave, hails satan every day.

This guy owns. Congrats again to the UK for taking your country back!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

eric posted:

This guy owns. Congrats again to the UK for taking your country back!

He is our new god.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

plain blue jacket posted:

this will be glorious :allears:

Spain have already attacked that scenario because they fear THAT would cause the Basque region to do the same. This kind of poo poo is why EU Parliament are running at the GB exit with bolt cutters, trying to get it over and done with.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Decebal posted:

scotland voted reasonably solidly to remain. You can make a pretty good argument that they have been screwed over by the rest of the UK by being dragged out. In any case, this is certainly the kind of big material change in circumstances that would justify a second referendum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Does anyone have a small graph of what happened to the US economy in 1776? I would like to examine a single day of it so that I can extrapolate the entire future from it and retroactively determine whether leaving the BE was a sound financial move.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

wit posted:

Spain have already attacked that scenario because they fear THAT would cause the Basque region to do the same. This kind of poo poo is why EU Parliament are running at the GB exit with bolt cutters, trying to get it over and done with.

Merkel said there is no rush and as we know she calls the shots. My last hope is that the economic turmoil gives enough people cold feet that leaving gets really unpopular and the government quietly forgets about it at least begs to stay in the single market.

Hope is a mistake though.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

wit posted:

I just mean from the point of British people freaking out even more as the semblances of their empire crumbles around them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chichevache posted:

Does anyone have a small graph of what happened to the US economy in 1776? I would like to examine a single day of it so that I can extrapolate the entire future from it and retroactively determine whether leaving the BE was a sound financial move.

the USA had a revolution over sending less tax to the UK than the UK currently sends to the EU :v:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

"When the Daily Mail comments section of leave voters are concerned you know we're well and truly hosed."

"scaremongering", Hmm yes, when people have been saying what would happen as a result of this for what seems like forever, and you vote to leave anyways.

You made your own monster.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Decebal posted:

Blue & orange hair think we should keep voting until we achieve the desired democratic result !!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

hahaha. pro-click, yall.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

hahaha. pro-click, yall.

Not that it matters but I am one of the 2 million plus people who have signed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maoist Pussy posted:

hahaha. pro-click, yall.

Also lolling at London saying it wants to leave the UK.

good riddance

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Berious posted:

Merkel said there is no rush and as we know she calls the shots. My last hope is that the economic turmoil gives enough people cold feet that leaving gets really unpopular and the government quietly forgets about it at least begs to stay in the single market.

Hope is a mistake though.

All it takes is another terrorist attack and revelations about cumbersome EU institutions/agencies to throw a bit of cold water on to that fire.

The Calais situation will be interesting to watch, from a distance ! :)

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Never before has there been a more appropriate time to rewatch "the Wall" at highest possible volume; clears a lot things up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The city of London is a pretty cyberpunk concept especially how companies are allowed to directly vote for local issues.

Just bypass the middleman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

etalian posted:

The city of London is a pretty cyberpunk concept especially how companies are allowed to directly vote for local issues.

yeah and theres that one skyscraper with all the crazy pipes and poo poo on the outside

• Locked thread