Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

These systems weren't part of our duties really. I see in this picture that the UHF antenna has a warning sign not to stand next to it. Ours never did which would explain maybe why I don't have children.

Disability lawsuit incoming in 3...2...1...

Lawyer: "Why didn't you get this documented at SEP?"

B4Ctom1: "I didn't know. Why didn't you do a fertility test at my separation physical?"

Cut to every service member at the sep physical going, "I have to do what now? Into that cup? Can I get a magazine?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Or, have a documentary about Swedes flying Viggans, riding bicycles, and landing on motorways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoQtnugT6A4

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

B4Ctom1 posted:

I see in this picture that the UHF antenna has a warning sign not to stand next to it. Ours never did which would explain maybe why I don't have children.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

If it's anything like an AWACS there's a decent chance it will instead make you only have daughters.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Oh man

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Woohoo, first post in the thread!

bewbies posted:

I think the two biggest legitimate complaints about the brad are 1) the weight, which really wasn't as big of a deal when we kept 100,000 dudes forward deployed in Europe (it is a much bigger deal now as we have to move them from Hood to wherever and that is hard), and in any case in order to meet those protection levels it had to weigh that much, and 2) it can't carry a whole squad, which makes moving around with mounted dudes more awkward than it needs to be.

It should be noted here that when the US Army did decide to have both high protection and a full squad, they ended up with a concept (GCV if I'm correct?) which weighed more than the M1 tank...

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Xerxes17 posted:

Put it up on your google docs and then PM the share link. You might be a capitalist bastard but I'm hardly going to try and mess with you fam :v:

Actually, before when we were talking about Clancy, someone brought up that the RF joined NATO in the Bear and the Dragon. What was going on in regards to that during the 90's? Did Russia ever make any sort of overtures towards joining?

Check your PMs

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Apparently america wouldn't have been able to make a second strike against Russia if they nuked us first back in 1979 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

Edit: grammar

Tythas fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 24, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tythas posted:

Apparently america wouldn't have been able to make a second strike against Russia if they nuked us first back in 1979 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w

Edit: grammar

Pretty much the entire plot of the first part of First Strike depended on the USSR rolling twenties on every throw and us trying to eat the dice.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm surprised the Eurofighters don't have as big a fuselage taper as the Gripens. Are they achieving area rule some other way?

I know this is a few pages back but I didn't see this answered. I guess I had assumed that area ruled fuselages were a requirement for supersonic flight, or is it simply a case of thrust>aerodynamics?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slothrop posted:

I know this is a few pages back but I didn't see this answered. I guess I had assumed that area ruled fuselages were a requirement for supersonic flight, or is it simply a case of thrust>aerodynamics?

Area rule doesn't require Coke-bottle fuselages. You can gain the advantages of the area rule in other ways.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slothrop posted:

You can fly supersonic without following the area rule, it's just stupidly inefficient so why would you?

The answer to “Are they achieving area rule some other way?” is almost certainly “yes”.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty much the entire plot of the first part of First Strike depended on the USSR rolling twenties on every throw and us trying to eat the dice.

and that would be because it was financed by the CPD/Team B shitheads who were trying to justify spending eleventy-billion more dollars a year on nukes.

OH NO THERE IS A MISSILE/BOMBER/BOMB/EVERYTHING GAP (no for real this time not like the last two times we've pushed this line of argument and its turned out to be complete bullshit)!!!!!!1111

it was complete bullshit this time too. As it was the fourth time when a whole bunch of the SAME loving GUYS led the charge to invade Iraq

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Team B was basically flat out insane.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Smiling Jack posted:

I'd do an effortpost on just how insane Team B was, but I'm really tired right now, so I'm requesting that.

From 2010 :downs:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And misses the point that only 1 submarine is necessary to blow them up.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
NASA released retro explorer posters for the Mars Missions

http://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/resources/mars-posters-explorers-wanted/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The stuff that seems contingent on Brexit seems much worse than the actual consequences of Brexit: "Britain’s Exit From Europe Raises Questions About Security Council Role"

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The worst part of Brexit by far is the ~*~searing hot takes~*~ by pundits about WHAT THIS ALL MEANS. Well it's the worst part if you're a masochist like me who follows political twitter.

Also, lol a bunch of my public sector pension clients have us do their fund valuations after each fiscal year, which is Thursday, so they're all in outright panic mode that they'll be underfunded (for legal purposes) due to short term Brexit-related stock movements.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Next step: Trump Presidency leading to American exit from NATO.

Putin would orgasm so hard he'd have a heart attack.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The stuff that seems contingent on Brexit seems much worse than the actual consequences of Brexit: "Britain’s Exit From Europe Raises Questions About Security Council Role"

LOL, no Brexit isn't going to take the UK off the security council. Remember that the loving island of Taiwan was "China" as far as the security council went clear until the early 70s. The seat has noting to do with relative power and everything to do with the question "Were you one of the major allied powers that defeated Germany and Japan in WW2, Y/N?"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cyrano4747 posted:

LOL, no Brexit isn't going to take the UK off the security council. Remember that the loving island of Taiwan was "China" as far as the security council went clear until the early 70s. The seat has noting to do with relative power and everything to do with the question "Were you one of the major allied powers that defeated Germany and Japan in WW2, Y/N?"

Or France

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

China and France's contributions to defeating the Axis are roughly the same.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Infidelicious posted:

True, but the P5 are also the five NPT nuclear weapons states. That is probably not a coincidence.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Infidelicious posted:

China kind of tied up a huge chunk of the IJA in their version of the eastern front.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

China kind of tied up a huge chunk of the IJA in their version of the eastern front.

The IJA was straight up drafting civilian employees of the IJN to feed that war (and also because they could).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

☨ Free France ☨

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It won't take them off the council, but if brexit happens Scotland will be out of the UK (possibly northern Ireland too) and it will be interesting to see the bickering over whether the nukes of what's left of the UK get to remain on Scottish soil. That little loch gon' be used for a whole lot of leverage.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://breakingdefense.com/2016/06/nuke-missile-collaboration-now-up-to-air-force-navy-vadm-benedict/

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

How about a series of posters that show all the areas they have intentionally blurred. Not the ones that are accidentally/technicality caused. Just the intentionally blurred ones.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

If the SNP don't want the UK nuclear deterrent at Falsane then they'd most likely be relocated to King's Bay in the US. There's already the infrastructure and the foundations of the Trident training and maintenance agreements are there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

B4Ctom1 posted:

How about a series of posters that show all the areas they have intentionally blurred. Not the ones that are accidentally/technicality caused. Just the intentionally blurred ones.

Uh?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

making a bad :tinfoil: joke

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

Its the low frequency geomagnetically induced current that gets you. This is a high voltage circuit breaker operating normally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkNY5xjy5k

Now imagine it doesn't extinguish because theres a massive solar storm that is magnetically inducing a fuckton of current.

Not disagreeing with anything you're saying here, but that's not really operating normally That's a big air switch, coupling the line voltage to reactive power banks for power factor conditioning. It's in series with not one, but two, small switches in sulfur hexafluoride bottles that are supposed to open simultaneously to split the voltage stress when they open. What's *supposed* to happen is that first those two small switches open very rapidly, and the SF6 is there to quench any arcs that form. Then, once the current is interrupted, then the big air switch opens and the two little switches have done their job and can close again. But one of those two high-speed switches fails to open, you can see that the initial arc forms there, as the arc jumps the switch that did open; you can also see that the that open high-speed switch closes soon after, so the arc across it disappears, but by that time the big air switch has opened up, and it can't open up anywhere near fast enough to prevent an arc from forming. That arc would have kept going until it arced to ground or to another phase, but utility personnel were there on that day with the camera set up because what was going on was precisely what they were trying to troubleshoot, and they manually tripped the upstream breaker

When you set a bomb off at high altitude, the first thing flying out of it are gamma rays from the nuclear reactions. These smack into atmospheric atoms and scatter electrons off of them, each gamma producing many, many electrons as it collides, loses a bit of energy, but then still has plenty more to keep going through multiple collisions. Those electrons are now forced to move in spirals by the earth's magnetic field, which means they radiate synchrotron radiation, which is your EMP. Since this is all happening at pretty damned near the speed of light, the rise time of this pulse is effectively instant, on the order of a few nanoseconds. That rise time also means it's effectively broadband, it contains all frequency components. This is the pulse that's going to kill electronic equipment, that rise time is far, far, far faster than your typical surge arrestor can stop, and at the component level you're going to see field strengths in excess of breakdown voltage, the traces on your circuit boards and the circuitry in your ICs is literally going to have induced currents in it that arc across to places they shouldn't, your chips are dead.

Then, later on a bit, over a period of minutes, the big bubble that the bomb and all those Compton-scattered electronics have created in the Earth's magnetic field is going to relax, and that's where you get the geomagnetic current you're talking about, and this is what generates current in transmission lines, transformer windings, and so forth. This is pretty much exactly the same thing that happens when a big solar flare hits us, and snubber circuits and things aren't going to help a whole lot because current is being induced everywhere, across a huge area. You can have an interrupted in between two ends of a transmission line and that would stop the current from propagating from one end to the other, but the current isn't being induced just at one end, it's being induced on every piece of the line. Which means no matter what you're doing on the transmission line itself, the currents induced in the windings of your transformers is going to do bad things to them.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 25, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mr Crustacean posted:

If the SNP don't want the UK nuclear deterrent at Falsane then they'd most likely be relocated to King's Bay in the US. There's already the infrastructure and the foundations of the Trident training and maintenance agreements are there.

If I was playing the UK government, civ style, it would be a good chance to rebuild my own infrastructure somewhere (playing the game of "try and find a naturally good location" vs "gently caress it they will get it with enough nukes anyway" is fun) and provide jobs and some element of the "we've got to have it and it's got to have a bloody union jack on it" ala Bevin, but as this is the MoD just pay £££2 and hang onto your ankles

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Since we're on EMP talk...can you give us a brief overview of how EMP hardening works for electronics? Costs, efficiency, anything would be kinda neat.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Here's 5 Secretaries of Defense talking about America's role at the end of the Cold War in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fPzvG7qFRI

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A partially declassified report on developments in charged particle beam weapons from the Cold War, including figuring out "How will we deflect Soviet beam weapons?". There's some heavy redaction still in it but it's not a subject that usually gets discussed when talking about Cold War experiments.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

good detailed stuff

That's really nasty. I think if North Korea only had a few missiles/atom bombs, they would detonate them high in the atmosphere to get this effect for maximum destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

B4Ctom1 posted:

Hey its my old house!

We used to have someone stand like they were guarding the hardened UHF antenna, then take the new guy out to relieve him and let them stand out there for a few hours guarding the "warhead".

B4Com1, you were never assigned to "Papa" flight, were you?