Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Scotland would probably enter into the same kind of agreement that the "EU, but totally not EU" other countries have .

Ddraig posted:

Salazar of Portugal. He suffered a brain hemorrhage, or possibly fell in the bath, and suffered brain damage. A new successor was appointed, but when he regained lucidity they didn't tell him he had no power and let him sign a bunch of documents and pretend he was running the country until he died.

Basically he was Ronald Reagan's last year in office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

Scotland would probably enter into the same kind of agreement that the "EU, but totally not EU" other countries have .

Why wouldn't Scotland want to be in Schengen?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I've got it. The EU and the British government should conspire to create the illusion that we are no longer in the EU, whereas in fact we still are...everyone pretends to sign Article 50, everyone pretends to go through the motions...blah blah blah..just fake it all. We all conspire to keep the illusion up like this until all the stupid old idiots who voted for this die off in about 15 years time. Meanwhile we just quietly go about business as normal. EU immigration will not be noticed anyway because the Leavers don't live in immigrant-heavy areas anyway.

No, the EU is sick of England's poo poo.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hollismason posted:

That wouldn't change the point about immigration, although it's possible they'd prefer to stay out of Schengen to accommodate the UK. Like Ireland.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hollismason posted:

Basically he was Ronald Reagan's last year in office.

scotland will take what it's offered rather than stay in the bed england just shat so thoroughly. I don't think the EU will mess around cutting deals, if it offers anything at all it'll be a minor miracle.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Scotland in Schengen would cause all sorts of problems, creating an extremely easy way for illegal immigrants to enter the UK. I'm not sure how that could work without a patrolled border.

I can't begin to imagine how they'd sort that out.

Also, some people seem to be advocating the EEA ("Norwegian") route to solving the Brexit conundrum. However, there would appear to possibly be three rather large stumbling blocks to this (outside of the usual, "Have to implement the EU rules + FoM" thing):

1) Don't the EU and EEA members have to vote unanimously to let us in?
2) The EEA members are in Schengen. How likely are they to want a member who isn't?
3) The EU doesn't seem to particularly like the EEA and would probably be loathe to see it expand

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36629745

quote:

HSBC would move up to 1,000 staff from London to Paris if the UK left the single market, following Britain's vote to leave the EU, the BBC understands.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Crossposting from the EU thread: (and GaussianCopula, ugh)

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is there any particular reason why Scotland shouldn't be accepted with open arms in the EU? They're a European nation who believe in the project. For the same reason, is there any particular reason why Scotland wouldn't just accept a regular membership?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

That was more than I was expecting. Have they expanded on how exactly this poll was carried out? Newspapers are poo poo so this could well be a poll of the "we put some radio buttons on our website" variety

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joda posted:

Is there any particular reason why Scotland shouldn't be accepted with open arms in the EU? They're a European nation who believe in the project. For the same reason, is there any particular reason why Scotland wouldn't just accept a regular membership?

There's been some stories about how Spain may block them because of the Catalonia? region also wanting independence from Spain and going into the EU. I think that's what I remember.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Joda posted:

There's no "we're not with these guys" clause to invoke. Scotland's part of the UK so it will leave the EU with the UK. Even if the UK disintegrates during the process of leaving the EU Scotland won't be the successor state (this was one of the threats during indyref - that Scotland as a new nation would not be a member of the EU). Presumably it will have to go through the regular accession process, even if it's fast-tracked.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Joda posted:

The one problem is Spain because it sets a precedent for Catalonia. Everyone else is pretty welcoming I think.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Joda posted:

It was suggested the Spain would veto acceptance (all EU member countries must accept) because they are worried about Catalan/Basque separatism but as England wants to drag out Scotland against it will, that isn't really separatism (though Scotland will need to vote for independence in a referendum so....go figure).

efb!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Angepain posted:

That was more than I was expecting. Have they expanded on how exactly this poll was carried out? Newspapers are poo poo so this could well be a poll of the "we put some radio buttons on our website" variety

I found this on their twitter:

https://twitter.com/andrewpicken1/status/746761400106778624

No mention of who did the polling though but it does seem like an actual poll, to some extent at least

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The Belgian posted:

The one problem is Spain because it sets a precedent for Catalonia. Everyone else is pretty welcoming I think.

Spain might not give a poo poo if the UK is out of the EU when the split happens.

E: Romania and I think France have similar issues with respect to the Hungarian-populated territories in Transylvania and Brittany so wouldn't have supported Scotland joining the EU after the indyref. No idea if they care now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

There's no "we're not with these guys" clause to invoke. Scotland's part of the UK so it will leave the EU with the UK. Even if the UK disintegrates during the process of leaving the EU Scotland won't be the successor state (this was one of the threats during indyref - that Scotland as a new nation would not be a member of the EU). Presumably it will have to go through the regular accession process, even if it's fast-tracked.

Unless Scotland managed to finagle independence before Brexit, when... they'd be an independent nation applying for membership.

Just maybe they could get away with it if they gained independence DURING the two years between A50 and Brexit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can imagine Westminster throwing Gibraltar under the bus to ensure that Spain still blocks Scotland, because there's a large section that runs solely on spite.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

thespaceinvader posted:

Unless Scotland managed to finagle independence before Brexit, when... they'd be an independent nation applying for membership.

Just maybe they could get away with it if they gained independence DURING the two years between A50 and Brexit?

there's no precedent for a thing like that - usually if a state splits one of the states inherits successor status and the others are new entities. For instance if scotland broke off it wouldn't get to share the UNSC seat, England would probably be considered the successor just as Russia was to the USSR

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it'd gently caress up the British Army as well aren't there a good number of Scots in the British Army?

Also, they have Nuclear Weapons.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is all an interesting antidote to the idea that big business controls government because surely if they did, none of this would have happened.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Hollismason posted:

I think it'd gently caress up the British Army as well aren't there a good number of Scots in the British Army?

Also, they have Nuclear Weapons.

I'm sure there's a military contingency plan somewhere to ensure ARE NUKES don't fall into Scottish hands.

VVVVVV

But if they did

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think Scotland wants the nukes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Catching up with the chaos and

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think an alien invasion is about the only thing that can unite the world at this point.

Agreed. #TeamAliens

Wipe us out. We deserve it

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

UK/England wants to keep Gib because of supporting its citizens and also the naval base. They'd only give up Gib as a really last resort.

Poor old Falkanders... :(

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Joda posted:

For the EU accepting Scotland, it comes down to red tape and box ticking. EU memberships are extraordinarily complex, there will be a million things that have to be negotiated and forecast first (Scotland still wouldn't have a central bank, for instance). But I think everyone sort of expects some kind of fast track negotiation.

For Scotland, I don't think there's emotional resistance to joining as a "normal" member, including adopting the Euro. But the practical difficulties of having your only land-border be with a non-EU member (who would be your largest trading partner, speak the same language, lots of businesses have branches in both, family members now separated by a passport border) means that Scotland has to make the call of which membership benefits it more - EU or UK. The problem is that there's just been such a stark difference in the vote, and Scotland has now had a completely unwanted change imposed on it (I think more than any in the history of the Union, despite what the Yes campaign would have said) that people are now far more willing to tell the rest of the UK to gently caress off. No won in 2014 because the majority of people didn't feel a wall of separation between Scotland and the rest of the UK (actually meaning England), but they certainly will now.

edit: Let's say it takes 3 years for the UK to officially leave the EU. There will be a second Scottish referendum before that time, which Yes will win. If there's only a few months overlap between UK leaving the EU and Scotland leaving the UK, I can see Scotland just sort of ignoring everything and existing in this interim legal state. But if there's 18 or 24 months, what happens then? They change the passports twice?

Hoops fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 25, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Spain might not give a poo poo if the UK is out of the EU when the split happens.

E: Romania and I think France have similar issues with respect to the Hungarian-populated territories in Transylvania and Brittany so wouldn't have supported Scotland joining the EU after the indyref. No idea if they care now.

howd those hungarians get into brittany

i bet it was those bastards in the eu again

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
All I know is that Scotland didn't get to have a recount so neither do the Vote Leave. It doesn't matter how many you petition, you hosed up, the pound dropped, gave the world trade a heart attack, and the EU have seen the clear ignorance and hatred that unearthed itself, and there's no backsies.

Also I'm pretty sure we have that rule still in effect you can only have another referendum once every so many number of years. That's solid, that's why Sturgeon didn't automatically say "yes another referendum", she has to look through the laws and legals of it to see if we're entitled to another referendum due to the sudden shift in policies from Westminster.

This entire campaign is a loving travesty, lies and ignorance founded in racism won out in England and Wales and now the people have to pay for their egregious mistake. The Remain voters I feel sorry for the most because they knew this was coming.

Guavanaut posted:

I can imagine Westminster throwing Gibraltar under the bus to ensure that Spain still blocks Scotland, because there's a large section that runs solely on spite.
Spain generally hate Catalonia anyway because despite their economic strengths they have abhorrent public services and are kinda lovely to Spain itself. Also, whereas Scotland is an actual country within the larger country of Britain, Catalonia is not. So I think the legislations aren't going to be severe enough to scare Spain into going "wow we better not encourage this".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

This is all an interesting antidote to the idea that big business controls government because surely if they did, none of this would have happened.

I'm sure a lot of big business is chomping at the bit for "reform" of workers rights

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

The papers are a sort of big business.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Then it's up to Scotland to become as dysfunctional as possible. Or resort to violence. Either one is good and valid.

FinalGamer posted:

All I know is that Scotland didn't get to have a recount so neither do the Vote Leave. It doesn't matter how many you petition, you hosed up, the pound dropped, gave the world trade a heart attack, and the EU have seen the clear ignorance and hatred that unearthed itself, and there's no backsies.

Also I'm pretty sure we have that rule still in effect you can only have another referendum once every so many number of years. That's solid, that's why Sturgeon didn't automatically say "yes another referendum", she has to look through the laws and legals of it to see if we're entitled to another referendum due to the sudden shift in policies from Westminster.

This entire campaign is a loving travesty, lies and ignorance founded in racism won out in England and Wales and now the people have to pay for their egregious mistake. The Remain voters I feel sorry for the most because they knew this was coming.

Spain generally hate Catalonia anyway because despite their economic strengths they have abhorrent public services and are kinda lovely to Spain itself. Also, whereas Scotland is an actual country within the larger country of Britain, Catalonia is not. So I think the legislations aren't going to be severe enough to scare Spain into going "wow we better not encourage this".

Not sure how this helps anyone. If there was somehow a chance for the leavers to reverse what they've done then i'm all for it. You're obviously insulated enough that you just want to enjoy the show. Some of us aren't.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 25, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

For Scotland, I don't think there's emotional resistance to joining as a "normal" member, including adopting the Euro. But the practical difficulties of having your only land-border be with a non-EU member (who would be your largest trading partner, speak the same language, lots of businesses have branches in both, family members now separated by a passport border) means that Scotland has to make the call of which membership benefits it more - EU or UK. The problem is that there's just been such a stark difference in the vote, and Scotland has now had a completely unwanted change imposed on it (I think more than any in the history of the Union, despite what the Yes campaign would have said) that people are now far more willing to tell the rest of the UK to gently caress off. No won in 2014 because the majority of people didn't feel a wall of separation between Scotland and the rest of the UK (actually meaning England), but they certainly will now.

I think for Scotland to get independence the SNP has to make it happen now, while emotions are high.

Because, pragmatically, it doesn't make sense for Scotland to leave one economic and political union for the sake of another one with which it has less in common and relies on less economically. I also can't see Scotland receiving the same kind of fiscal transfers it enjoys while remaining in the UK.

The longer the Brexit/Independence process takes, the more chance there is for this feeling of injustice to fade and for economic reality to erode nationalist fervour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

This is why Cameron ceding the leadership, probably to Johnson, is a perfect poison chalice. Does Johnson alienate his backers in the London finance world, who certainly have more money than the proles, or half of his potential voters. There's no way that he gets out of this smiling.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

This is it guys. Night of the long knives for Corbyn is officially a go, and Benn is the instigator.

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn faces a coup by members of his shadow cabinet, led by Hilary Benn this week, the Observer can reveal. It is understood that the shadow foreign secretary called colleagues over the weekend to suggest that he will ask Corbyn to stand down if there is significant support for a move against the leader. He has also asked shadow cabinet colleagues to join him in resigning if the Labour leader ignores that request. A spokesman for Benn declined to comment.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Or we could combine the two and have them move to Scotland. Which would be hilarious and terrible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

This is it guys. Night of the long knives for Corbyn is officially a go, and Benn is the instigator.

Good.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Peztopiary posted:

249ish or thereabouts. It's a glorious read, have fun.

I read it all, and I don't think a sequel will ever capture the magic.

zakharov posted:

I'm sure I'm late on this but I'm still amazed that it take a 67% popular vote for California to raise taxes but the UK can rip itself apart with 50%+1.

Watch this space for California to have the 5th highest GDP.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i think either way we're hosed political bitterness wise

its not going to clear the air or anything stupid like that, its just thrust right to the forefront a bunch of class regional and generational divisions and torpedoed the economy probably making way for another recession more austerity and a bonfire of rights

and we all have to live together in the mess half of us just made

right after a really ugly referendum where a far right terrorist killed a sitting mp

the sheer grief and anger is going to tear this country apart and good loving riddance tbh

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

jabby posted:

[quote]Jeremy Corbyn faces a coup by members of his shadow cabinet, led by Hilary Benn this week, the Observer can reveal. It is understood that the shadow foreign secretary called colleagues over the weekend to suggest that he will ask Corbyn to stand down if there is significant support for a move against the leader. He has also asked shadow cabinet colleagues to join him in resigning if the Labour leader ignores that request. A spokesman for Benn declined to comment.
You know Blair coming back is really the poo poo cherry on top of this poo poo cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Scotland wants the nukes.

We're taking them. And yer banks.

• Locked thread