Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benem
Feb 15, 2012
Like most "tactical" things, stand-to is not bad on a tank.

"Everyone dressed? Tank running? Gear stowed? Cool, nod off for another hour"

Of course you're a fat gay tanker living in a metal box with 3 other fat gay tankers, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Vasudus posted:

most of my field time involved sitting around waiting to participate in some BN/BDE level exercise, which more often than not would be called off or changed to not require our involvement

or setting up kms of triple strand over 3-4 days, then taking it down over 3-4 days

do you know how hard it is to use a picket pounder when it's -20 outside

So glad to see this hasn't changed since the 90s. Did you guys have to put in triple strand in riverbeds, trying to drive pickets through solid rock?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
My field experience in Korea consisted of sleeping in a tent in our motorpool located 5 minutes (walking) from our barracks, ADA is retarded.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ace of Baes posted:

My field experience in Korea consisted of sleeping in a tent in our motorpool located 5 minutes (walking) from our barracks, ADA is retarded.

Don't worry sequestration means that also happens in the US bases now!

lol one unit went like 30 km out and we he to cut off their fuel supply and shut down their systems for them to acknowledge that they had no funds.

benem
Feb 15, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

Did one BDE-mandated training event in Korea where we slept in the snow on a -10 degree night DIRECTLY OUTSIDE THE BARRACKS.

Purpose was to "build confidence in cold-weather sleep system."

To the CO CDR's credit, we only stayed out there for a little over 3 hours before saying "gently caress this" and going inside.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I did the same thing at Drum. Slept in our bags outside a heated building, then got woken up in the middle of the night, told to stow all our gear and move inside.

God drat the army is dumb.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i loving LOVE trying to coordinate a section of armored cars and send up a bunch of imaginary reports after 72 hours without sleep, it's so nice to just get away from civilization and enjoy the beautiful scenery in fort polk LA in MOPP2-4 weeks at a time

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I love when camping that they bring in tubs full of lovely bacon and give you 2 slices and a plastic spoon full of eggs and undercooked rice. No you can't have more we have to make sure everyone gets enough (throws it all away/hordes it)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I also love when camping your unit discovers that the water buffalo is full of dead rats, and just marks it off limits and you really don't get anymore more water for the next 2-3 days

oh and then those soldiers doing 24 hour decon missions in the middle of one of the hottest most humid places in the country are loving PUSSIES if they fall out because of that

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Reading this makes me love the idea that I want natty guard and not active duty

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Rape victim: well at least I don't have uh AIDS

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I unironically love land nav training. A 5-hour block of being alone outside and no one is allowed to talk to me? gently caress yes.

Shame that gets more rare as you move on.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I loved Land Nav in OCS because it was the first time in months I was able to be by myself for hours at a time. It pretty much rained non stop on us during Land Nav but it would have been hot outside otherwise so I didn't mind it, felt great. Benning

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MurderBot posted:

Reading this makes me love the idea that I want natty guard and not active duty

yeah im also very happy that i did guard instead of full blown army

i was able to finish college (in double the time!) and i made stacks off of it

also i was able to look at a regular army nco attempting to quiz me on regulations for the e-5 boards they were about to run in country and say "gently caress that poo poo, im guard" and he conceded

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've never done land nav in groups smaller than 5 people. Somehow it's always the 5 dumbest people.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All that bs happens in the guard, too. You just get 28 days to recover from it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

I've never done land nav in groups smaller than 5 people. Somehow it's always the 5 dumbest people.

I've almost exclusively done solo land nav unless mounted. It owns.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Aranan posted:

What the gently caress is the point of land nav in a group?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I love when camping that they bring in tubs full of lovely bacon and give you 2 slices and a plastic spoon full of eggs and undercooked rice. No you can't have more we have to make sure everyone gets enough (throws it all away/hordes it)
Grey reheated mince from last nights mess dinner getting hotboxed to you for breakfast :barf:

Geirskogul posted:

It's just a fact of life for me now that 1 in 5 weekends is just gonna disappear down a black hole.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah im also very happy that i did guard instead of full blown army

i was able to finish college (in double the time!) and i made stacks off of it

also i was able to look at a regular army nco attempting to quiz me on regulations for the e-5 boards they were about to run in country and say "gently caress that poo poo, im guard" and he conceded

Never in my life have I participated in an activity that is more pointless, loving retarded, fake and god drat bizarre than a promotion board. Holy jesus gently caress it was unreal. Like field stuff is dumb as poo poo in that special way that only the Army can do, sleeping in the cold outside your barracks and stuff but it is at least in theory related to something you might do if you were actually in the field. It's not related, but in theory it could maybe be if you sorta squinted real hard and looked sideways.

A promotion board though? gently caress, I just cannot describe how surreal it all felt. Like the universe itself was on some kind of bad acid trip. Sitting at the position of attention? I had been in for years at that point, all over the world and didn't even know that was a thing. How the gently caress does someone take themselves seriously when they're evaluating how well someone can sit "at the position of attention?" Why the gently caress does a grown man have a rule out measuring stuff I'm wearing on my clothing, and how does someone manage to have such a complete lack of self awareness that he never questions what the gently caress he's doing while he's staring at my dick to check my "gig line"? Who the gently caress uses a word like that in the first place?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I actually liked my time in the guard, even while being in a scout platoon attached to the battalions HHC the worst thing that seemed to affect us was being bored for 2days. Fortunately smart phones were starting to get good around that time so weekend drills weren't terrible.

Field time wasn't too bad either. Maybe that's why I wanted to re-up in the marines. That or I ate too much lead paint chips living on base as a child

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

MurderBot posted:

I actually liked my time in the guard, even while being in a scout platoon attached to the battalions HHC the worst thing that seemed to affect us was being bored for 2days. Fortunately smart phones were starting to get good around that time so weekend drills weren't terrible.

Field time wasn't too bad either. Maybe that's why I wanted to re-up in the marines. That or I ate too much lead paint chips living on base as a child

Its the second one.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh we are camping everyone practice NOISE discipline dont laugh in your tent or you'll get LIT THE gently caress UP

company hq tent has 8 generators pumping AC into them 24/7

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

oh we are camping everyone practice NOISE discipline dont laugh in your tent or you'll get LIT THE gently caress UP

company hq tent has 8 generators pumping AC into them 24/7

I laughed my rear end off the time they called ENDEX at 2300 and we instantly started tearing down cammo and turned on every white light on base, because the pilots called the tower after we blinded the shot out of them with their NVGs.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

There are a few armor nobles floating around here. BOLC is honestly a blast, just don't take it too seriously and learn what you can from the 2 or 3 good instructors. 90% of the dudes will be tools but you'll have the opportunity to get piss drunk with a few cool guys. Like Mustang said, don't live at IP (I lived with a few guys up near flat rock park and it was great). Make sure you get ARC afterwards, you'll learn a poo poo ton if you pay attention (and don't fall asleep behind a .50 at 0330). Try to get another school so you can chill in TRADOC for another few months. I got IMLC and it was p cool, coolest thing was doing literally nothing except one formation a day for like 2 weeks between each school. I'd recommend against Ranger. I just don't really see the benefit of loving yourself up health wise unless you really want to be a General or something. My first real unit gave zero fucks about a tab. Now I'm about to get out, I have a top 25 undergrad degree debt-free, about to go to an Ivy at a serious discount (after declining two halfway decent job offers), have a pretty nice resumè, and have a solid group of friends spread all over the country.

There's a lot of negativity around, and much of it is 100% warranted, but I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be an rear end in a top hat, avoid hanging with assholes, have a little bit of luck, and you can do ok for yourself in the Army. Hail Satan.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That whole thing of "oh we're gonna do x to give you confidence in your equipment" only ever showed me not to ever trust anything the army has or gives you.

Gas masks? oh cool, I can barely breathe normal air and the purge valve doesn't work either. Brand new M4? oh cool, fires twice with every other pull of the trigger. Oh, and your magazines are all flogged out too. wet weather gear doesn't keep the rain out, cold weather gear doesn't keep the cold out. Those sleeping bags are a joke in a Korean winter.

Glad I'm out!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
for real though, and I know it's really a who cares thing, but the types of training and understanding of Chemical warfare is so misunderstood in the Army that if there ever was a legit CM attack you're all going to loving die like a bug sprayed with raid.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

:same:

The worst part of Korea was the entire Army.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

not caring here posted:

cold weather gear doesn't keep the cold out.

guess you didnt have a smoking jacket

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Ace of Baes posted:

God bless Suwon, those loving retarded field exercises were amazing in the summer because we'd have the aid station buttoned up and the A/C going full blast.

I think that was the first time I, being a PV2, got to blow up on some shithead SFC because I was running balls out to the DFAC for ice to treat an incoming heat casualty (LOL MOPP-4) and he decided to have a problem with me not even having headgear on.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

God bless Suwon, those loving retarded field exercises were amazing in the summer because we'd have the aid station buttoned up and the A/C going full blast.

I think that was the first time I, being a PV2, got to blow up on some shithead SFC because I was running balls out to the DFAC for ice to treat an incoming heat casualty (LOL MOPP-4) and he decided to have a problem with me not even having headgear on.

fffffffffffuck let me give an answer for this

SOLDIER if you don't have the GOD DAMNED DISCIPLINE TO WEAR A HAT OUT DOORS how can you be expected to TREAT A CASUALTY PROPERLY because if you CANT WEAR A HAT IAW AR670-1 you cant SUTURE poo poo

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

guess you didnt have a smoking jacket

I got a smoking jacket, and the michelin man suit.

Come at me, bro <:mad:>

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

fffffffffffuck let me give an answer for this

SOLDIER if you don't have the GOD DAMNED DISCIPLINE TO WEAR A HAT OUT DOORS how can you be expected to TREAT A CASUALTY PROPERLY because if you CANT WEAR A HAT IAW AR670-1 you cant SUTURE poo poo

TRANSLATION

I AM A RETARD WHO REGURGITATES BULLSHIT

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TRANSLATION

I AM A RETARD WHO REGURGITATES BULLSHIT

So thoroughly railed out by the green weenie that they can only poo poo through their mouth onto subordinates.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

How many GiPpers were at that vortex of poo poo that was Suwon? Looks like at least 4.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
AREA 1 or you're human garbage

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i was at castle

we gave it back to the roka in 2006

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

i was at castle

we gave it back to the roka in 2006

in 08 I went to castle to pick up mattresses or something. What a weird place because it was basically across the street from Casey? Or was it CRC? Can't remember.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

in 08 I went to castle to pick up mattresses or something. What a weird place because it was basically across the street from Casey? Or was it CRC? Can't remember.

Castle was up the road from Casey and was home to just 2EN (which fell under 2-72), there was also a place called "Castle North" about a mile further up which was this hosed up logistics outpost that was half shared with the ROKA. No idea what unit was assigned there.

Castle was pretty awesome because we were away from *most* of the gently caress gently caress games that went on at Casey, and our motorpool was across the highway via a sky bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Vasudus posted:

Castle was up the road from Casey and was home to just 2EN (which fell under 2-72), there was also a place called "Castle North" about a mile further up which was this hosed up logistics outpost that was half shared with the ROKA. No idea what unit was assigned there.

Castle was pretty awesome because we were away from *most* of the gently caress gently caress games that went on at Casey, and our motorpool was across the highway via a sky bridge.

Wonder when the bridge went in. Probably after a terminator took out someone

• Locked thread