Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Booyah- posted:

17 frame dash, 8 frame lag, the game

the walkspeed and poo poo. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

i get why they make throws bad, but not movement. why does movement feel like absolute garbage? its like some confusing mix of "slower and less intense > a good basic game" and "people really hate throws so make them less good"

if people go too fast then you cant have footsies. thats the rule

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

17 frame dash, 8 frame lag, the game

Nash's dash doesn't even start to move him until frame 8.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's okay for a character to have an unreactable dash, but a grab off of it should lead to a ton of damage and stun when's makoto

The real problem is everyone has makoto walkspeeds and basically have makoto dashes in 8 frame lag.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
All I want are the most oppressive normals ever, a safe buffer cancel, spd throw range and a slide.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Before SFV I never thought I would miss Rising Thunder.
But now I do, I miss it. The game actually worked.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Rising Thunder was worse than SF5.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Nash's dash doesn't even start to move him until frame 8.

hey, i'm sorry. maybe this game just Isn't For You

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Booyah- posted:

bhsman posted:

SFV owns; if you don't like it then maybe this game and its nine frames of imput lag isn't for you.

Unironically.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Just posted in the Discord, but the weekly battle lounge is up for anyone who's interested. Password is 3774.

Booyah- posted:

See, this guy gets it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Zhi has so many brexit jokes :v:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Rising Thunder was worse than SF5.

did they ever nerf the chinese robot or did it have a 1-character top tier until it died

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Edge was the best for the entire duration of the games life cycle.
He wasn't broken to the point where it wasn't fun to play him though.

Sure he had a dashing high/low mixup that went into 25% or 45% with super and was safe on block, but other characters were allowed to be good too.
I feel like everyone but Chun and Necalli just don't have buttons in SFV.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 26, 2016

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

bhsman posted:

Just posted in the Discord, but the weekly battle lounge is up for anyone who's interested. Password is 3774.

See, this guy gets it.

Yoooo what's your sfv name

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Gorp posted:

Edge was the best for the entire duration of the games life cycle.
He wasn't broken to the point where it wasn't fun to play him though.

Sure he had a dashing high/low mixup that went into 25% or 45% with super and was safe on block, but other characters were allowed to be good too.
I feel like everyone but Chun and Necalli just don't have buttons in SFV.

excuse me a certain ms.kanzuki wants to talk to you

alternatively not even chun and necalli have buttons, although in that case let's be honest, no one in Rising Thunder had buttons either

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doggir posted:

Yoooo what's your sfv name

Same as here, but in all caps.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Nodoze posted:

Zhi has so many brexit jokes :v:

I think that means making fun of Brexit is over now. Its gone the way of gangam dance and everything else.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dias posted:

All I want are the most oppressive normals ever, a safe buffer cancel, spd throw range and a slide.

That sounds like Kaiser Knuckle's 'General'.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I know this game sucks, 8 frames of lag, blah blah blah. With that out of the way, can I get some help with what to do against Dictator as Birdie? I seem to be... well... horrible at knowing what to do:

https://youtu.be/u2r6FK5-Mxg?t=9

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crayvex posted:

I know this game sucks, 8 frames of lag, blah blah blah. With that out of the way, can I get some help with what to do against Dictator as Birdie? I seem to be... well... horrible at knowing what to do:

God, I'm barely playing this game, so I can't give you specific matchup knowledge. You were just a bit too passive and respectful on that match, I feel. You didn't establish anything on neutral, no st.HPs or st.MKs, so Bison just rushed you down. Also, you missed like three crucial AAs, those put you in the corner and when you're in the corner as Birdie, you're kinda hosed. Other thing was trying for the chain grab on wakeup twice - why not just meaty first, Bison doesn't have great reversal options in this game.

One specific Bison thing is that he's negative on all scissor kicks except for EX.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crayvex posted:

I think the thing I like most about this game is that in the beginning picture Bison looks like he's trying to restrain himself from grabbing a boob in front of him.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Dias posted:

God, I'm barely playing this game, so I can't give you specific matchup knowledge. You were just a bit too passive and respectful on that match, I feel. You didn't establish anything on neutral, no st.HPs or st.MKs, so Bison just rushed you down. Also, you missed like three crucial AAs, those put you in the corner and when you're in the corner as Birdie, you're kinda hosed. Other thing was trying for the chain grab on wakeup twice - why not just meaty first, Bison doesn't have great reversal options in this game.

One specific Bison thing is that he's negative on all scissor kicks except for EX.

Oh god I see it all now. I'll meaty more with S.HK.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Crayvex posted:

-Know when it's safe to press buttons and when it's not
-cr.mp will anti-air devil's reverse pretty well, and he used DR to get in like 5 times.

I did a video about fighting bison a while ago so maybe that'll be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVVMD7z7r0

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Yeesh, I thought CEO would bring in more people at least for a little bit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That is more people

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reiley posted:

Give Smash 4 Ryu a chance, he's very strong and true to his source. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well he plays. All the manual inputs work, even 323 shoryu shortcuts.

Ryu's inputs in smash always felt weird to me because you can like, turn around. Ryu not looking at his opponent looks crazy

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

That is more people

wat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fighting games are still an extremely niche genre.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

Ryu's inputs in smash always felt weird to me because you can like, turn around. Ryu not looking at his opponent looks crazy

They actually had to patch his turnaround animation to have more delay before you change direction so half-circle inputs give you fireballs instead of tatsus in the wrong direction.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Dias posted:

He isn't negative on HK scissor.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

In Training posted:

Fighting games are still an extremely niche genre.

Yeah a niche genre that like have a steadily declining lifespan by default like all games, anime games, even guilty gear have expedited ones. To the point where some people don't even play long enough to over come the learning curves.

it's why a robust single player helps a bit with expanding the life of these games

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SectumSempra posted:

He isn't negative on HK scissor.

Isn't he? It's not UNSAFE, but he should be -2 after that. Perfectly spaced I'm not sure if you can have your turn but you might be able to poke after it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

Yeah a niche genre that like have a steadily declining lifespan by default like all games, anime games, even guilty gear have expedited ones. To the point where some people don't even play long enough to over come the learning curves.

it's why a robust single player helps a bit with expanding the life of these games

Im telling you, arcade mode, and then a have a big dumb score attack horde mode that helps teach people execution while also used as an engine to unlock colors for your characters. It would be a lot more fun that survival with cheating AI.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i feel like if you puss out because there isnt enough single player youre not the type of player to stick around either way

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Important SFV question: do you lose anything in xrd m.o.m. when you die other than your streak?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Dias posted:

Isn't he? It's not UNSAFE, but he should be -2 after that. Perfectly spaced I'm not sure if you can have your turn but you might be able to poke after it.

My bad you're right.

it's safe just negative.

it's -2.

It's also why I ended a lot of combos on mp psycho blast instead, 10 less damage but lots more space and safety and it's -1, scissors are pretty much only a better combo extender because they are way easier to v-trigger cancel out of than blasts.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Im telling you, arcade mode, and then a have a big dumb score attack horde mode that helps teach people execution while also used as an engine to unlock colors for your characters. It would be a lot more fun that survival with cheating AI.

Actually survival encourages bad behavior.

Saint Freak posted:

Important SFV question: do you lose anything in xrd m.o.m. when you die other than your streak?

No IIRC. I can't remember if you lose access to stages on the 'map' or not or if thats just from levels.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i feel like if you puss out because there isnt enough single player youre not the type of player to stick around either way

New people get frustrated when losing. If they are able to participate in a more fun mode they can look at the game in a different light than, "that game where everyone spams throw against me online"
Also no other outlet placed too much central focus on ranked scores, hence the rampant disconnecting made even EASIER by sf5's rear end architecture, (you can disconnect AFTER losing and deny both parties points)

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 27, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

pc modders are fed up with ken being so ugly (probably old but I don't keep up with this game)

even gave him a beard alt

http://imgur.com/a/UGXbD

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SectumSempra posted:

pc modders are fed up with ken being so ugly (probably old but I don't keep up with this game)

even gave him a beard alt

http://imgur.com/a/UGXbD

The beard alt is supposedly the "MD" or "Maximilian Dood" variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

teagone posted:

The beard alt is supposedly the "MD" or "Maximilian Dood" variant.

:barf:

still better than the one in game but :barf: