Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Ditocoaf posted:

Hell, even the bosses at my retail job are terrified of heat exhaustion, on hot days they're going around shoving water bottles in everyone's hands and making sure nobody's skipping their breaks. It is a big deal.

Everyone should receive training in recognizing the warning signs too. That's on the employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

squidgee posted:

The main group who will feel the squeeze from a $12-$15/hr minimum wage are the people making around $20-$30 currently. They're probably not going to get much in the way of a wage increase, but they'll see their purchasing power eroded by the price increases caused by the minimum wage increase.

Higher wage earners will have less of an issue, because any price increases will be a smaller percentage of their total income, but the $30k-$50k income brackets are probably going to have a tough time.

Other than those making under $12 an hour, the $30k-$35k bracket is precisely the bracket most likely to see a substantial increase in their income if the minimum wage approaches $12-$15 an hour. They're directly adjacent to what the new minimum would be and are most likely to get the lion's share of knock on raises. If you're already making $20-$30 an hour, that's like $40k - $60k a year.

Epic High Five posted:

Lol don't worry about competition from the fast food sector. Flipping burgers is way harder and less rewarding that what 99% of office drones could handle, despite what they may say.

Manufacturing may see some pressure from it but I doubt it - even now you can make 12-15 just by driving a forklift and it's a lot easier than running a grill and side stations for a rush

I didn't mean to imply that burger flipping and other such jobs were easy. Their use is due to the social stigma attached to them. I know I do jack and poo poo at my job and wouldn't leave to go flip burgers if the minimum wage was raised to the point where the pay was near comparable. However, if you want employee retention and recruitment paying the same wages as McDonalds is not a way to get there. "gently caress you, I'd rather work at McDonalds then this poo poo" is a much stronger insult than simply "gently caress you, I'd rather work somewhere else then this poo poo".

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm sure the local pizza joints are much more delicious too. Papa John's is only good when your choices are pizza hut and uh little caesars.

Nah, I'll take Little Caesars every time. It tastes about the same as Papa John's and costs way less. Plus people watching at the store if you have to wait is way better than waiting for a delivery driver.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DemeaninDemon posted:

17 people got heat exhaustion. The employer clearly isn't their part in preventing it. Working in a shop floor in summer is fine so long as steps are taken to prevent heat-related illness. It's the employer's responsibility to protect their employees.

They fixed the problem. They bought 12 new fans to replace broken fans.

Nobody has gotten sick since that day though which is good. If people still were I would report it. Not allowing ovens on anymore has had the unforeseen consequence of helping keep the temp down.

Edit: I just remembered that it was found out about 3 months ago we were had been using a nonapproved FAA material to make certain parts for the last 11 years. The reason? The material was unapproved 2 months after the owner had bought a new batch of said material. So we have a ton of parts out there that could fail. Luckily I'm the poor sap that repairs those parts when they are returned.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 25, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

DemeaninDemon posted:

17 people got heat exhaustion. The employer clearly isn't their part in preventing it. Working in a shop floor in summer is fine so long as steps are taken to prevent heat-related illness. It's the employer's responsibility to protect their employees.

Oh I agree completely, it's more that people have to get literally maimed before osha steps in oftentimes. Once they do get to conduct a full safety audit though they really have the ability to gently caress a company up if they don't comply.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Boss man is already planning on shuttering the place once all the old timers leave and just isn't telling you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Boss man is already planning on shuttering the place once all the old timers leave and just isn't telling you.

This is what everyone believes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The head of my department was like the 3rd employee of the company and is getting ready to retire and the succession plan is more or less operating like post colonial democracies trying to transition governments for the first time
i.e its a total loving mess and there are going to be several massacres

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

rscott posted:

Oh I agree completely, it's more that people have to get literally maimed before osha steps in oftentimes. Once they do get to conduct a full safety audit though they really have the ability to gently caress a company up if they don't comply.

Complaint with rampant heat exhaustion might be enough to get a surprise visit. Especially in the early summer.

It's no man in a tuna oven but it's still bad. Boss got lucky.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: I just remembered that it was found out about 3 months ago we were had been using a nonapproved FAA material to make certain parts for the last 11 years. The reason? The material was unapproved 2 months after the owner had bought a new batch of said material. So we have a ton of parts out there that could fail. Luckily I'm the poor sap that repairs those parts when they are returned.

:stare:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

just remember Mr. Hootington is a republican so this is the future he wants for himself and everyone

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The free market decided that those parts were fine after all

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

blue squares posted:

just remember Mr. Hootington is a republican so this is the future he wants for himself and everyone

lol wait is he really

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I work in QA in the same industry and this poo poo happens way more often than you think

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Gyges posted:

Other than those making under $12 an hour, the $30k-$35k bracket is precisely the bracket most likely to see a substantial increase in their income if the minimum wage approaches $12-$15 an hour. They're directly adjacent to what the new minimum would be and are most likely to get the lion's share of knock on raises. If you're already making $20-$30 an hour, that's like $40k - $60k a year.

Sorry, I messed up the annual income bracket I was talking about getting squeezed. Somehow I did the math in my head for $20*40*50 and got ~$35k. Not really sure how the hell I did that because that's stupid easy math, but hey, it's Saturday. But anyways, yes, I'm talking about households with incomes in the $20-30/hr range getting squeezed, since it seems unlikely that they'll see much in the way of significant wage increases from a $12-$15/hr minimum wage.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 25, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

blue squares posted:

Lol what gave you this idea?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol wait is he really

Apparently. I'm surprised too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Safety and skirting regulation is way more common than it should be.

Hell, my last job was cut because the suits didn't think a dedicated ehs person was necessary for a >>100M gross manufacturing company.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr Hootington posted:

I am adding this to XLS

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

To be fair, anime avatars are pretty good indicators that someone's a right wing shithead on most sites besides SA.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

:wrong:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am adding this to XLS

I don't know what this means.

Edit: figured it out and not surprising you have a file.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

To be fair, anime avatars are pretty good indicators that someone's a right wing shithead on most sites besides SA.

Yikes!

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 26, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It was your ridiculous abortion posts that made me think that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

blue squares posted:

It was your ridiculous abortion posts that made me think that.

Human lives are not ridiculous.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Human lives are not ridiculous.

*looks at your avatar*

i disagree

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

blue squares posted:

*looks at your avatar*

i disagree

That was earned by explaining common sense gun control friend.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Humans and their lives are totally ridiculous. See: Twitter

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know what this means.

Edit: figured it out and not surprising you have a file.

Yikes!

It's what's called ... a joke

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's what's called ... a joke

I was also joking. :glomp:

Edit: I only suspect two people of having excel sheets for SA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have officially determined Donald Trump's greatest crime......forcing noted bowtie enthusiast George Will out of the GOP:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/politics/george-will-donald-trump-leaving-republican-party-election/index.html

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
George will's only redeeming trait is loving baseball

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

emdash posted:

George will's only redeeming trait is loving baseball

And even then he has to be a complete dipshit about it

quote:

In Men At Work, a book that accomplished the not inconsiderable feat of being the most boring book ever written on baseball, he blamed football, and the cookie-cutter stadia that accompanied it in the 1970's, on the excesses of the '60's. This, of course, was profoundly stupid on many levels; the 1960's counter-culture rejected football — "Too militaristic, man." — and embraced baseball. Now, though, whoever's working the levers in Will's head is doubling down, although you have to admire an wandering space being who tries to pin college football on "progressivism" because Woodrow Wilson once was the student manager of his college team.

Rather than parse the whole seriously demented business, I would offer space-alien George Will a challenge: Go down to Oxford, Mississippi, on next Saturday afternoon, stand in the middle of the Grove before the Rebels play Texas, and explain to the assembled tailgaters how they are actually there for the purposes of "training managers for the modern regulatory state." I have never seen a man beaten with turkey legs before.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
So...George Will, Robert Kagan, Hank Paulson...anyone else getting a bit jumpy at all these fine, upstanding folks finding a lot to like about democrats all of a sudden?

Not sure I trust Rahm Emanuel, Tom Daschle and several other 'centrist' dems around such bad company. "Wow, cool wealthy people in suits are fundraising for us, why did we bother appeasing those hippies an union thugs again?"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Have they said nice things about Democrats? Seems to me they're just taking their ball and going home (to not vote in November)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Will isn't voting for Hillary. I think Paulson did endorse her. My biggest concern is that a lot of neocons are fine with her foreign policy. That should worry everyone. I think it's becoming pretty apparent that if she gets elected we are escalating in Syria. Maybe also Afghanistan but definitely Syria. Right now the State Department is upset with Obama for not doing more on Syria, and apparently John Kerry is in agreement at least somewhat on that. I appreciate Obama not bowing to the pressure to get us further involved in a situation that is clearly a quagmire.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

McAlister posted:

I get that being all cynical is cool and poo poo but do you guys have you no predatory instincts at all? No drive to greater aggression when you perceive weakness in your opponents? Are you seriously watching republicans shun their own convention while former gop primary winners advise republican voters to cast their ballots for the libertarian candidate and not scenting blood?

You hit on a broader point here: I remember 10-15 years ago when I started getting into internet forums more regularly, and my circle of in-person family, friends and acquaintances had always been right-wing people who always had near-apocalyptic fear of "the liberals", it shocked me to see how cynical and defeatist left-wing people came off online. I don't know if it's just the nature of people who are drawn to read/post about politics on web forums, but you really would think that people would be sensing the blood in the water and salivating at the opportunity to destroy the republicans once and for all, but I just don't see it. A few days back someone had to remind everybody what an utter blow to American conservatism a landslide for the dems would be this year and folks were blinking and going "oh yeah" like it had never even occurred to them.

And for the record: I admit that I, myself, don't think I have these predatory instincts. I'm not the guy who sees my enemy wounded, on his knees, and gets that bloodlust to drive my sword into his gut to finish him off. I see someone, even someone I hate, having a hard time and my inclination is to back off. In some ways it's probably an admirable trait - it's definitely empathetic and sportsmanlike depending on the context - but I probably would be that stupid character in a horror movie that knocks the killer out but ends up running off instead of using the opportunity to chop off his head.

Thing is, I always figured I was kind of weird that way. I don't expect other people to be like this, so I'm always nonplussed to see people seemingly not appreciate the advantageous position they're in.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 26, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Will isn't voting for Hillary. I think Paulson did endorse her. My biggest concern is that a lot of neocons are fine with her foreign policy. That should worry everyone. I think it's becoming pretty apparent that if she gets elected we are escalating in Syria. Maybe also Afghanistan but definitely Syria. Right now the State Department is upset with Obama for not doing more on Syria, and apparently John Kerry is in agreement at least somewhat on that. I appreciate Obama not bowing to the pressure to get us further involved in a situation that is clearly a quagmire.

None of those are that apparent.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sephyr posted:

So...George Will, Robert Kagan, Hank Paulson...anyone else getting a bit jumpy at all these fine, upstanding folks finding a lot to like about democrats all of a sudden?

Not sure I trust Rahm Emanuel, Tom Daschle and several other 'centrist' dems around such bad company. "Wow, cool wealthy people in suits are fundraising for us, why did we bother appeasing those hippies an union thugs again?"

I think about two months ago that the "serious thinkers" of the democrats were test ballooning the idea of the party pivoting to the center to pick up moderate republicans who abandoned Trump.

You can guess what happened in USPol with the usual suspects.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh my stars and garters, I've earned an anime avatar! I'd like to thank USPOL and my terrible posting.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I think about two months ago that the "serious thinkers" of the democrats were test ballooning the idea of the party pivoting to the center to pick up moderate republicans who abandoned Trump.

You can guess what happened in USPol with the usual suspects.

They all said it wouldn't be worth pivoting and they wouldn't actually do it, and they've subsequently been proven correct?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

lizardman posted:

And for the record: I admit that I, myself, don't think I have these predatory instincts. I'm not the guy who sees my enemy wounded, on his knees, and gets that bloodlust to drive my sword into his gut to finish him off. I see someone, even someone I hate, having a hard time and my inclination is to back off. In some ways it's probably an admirable trait - it's definitely empathetic and sportsmanlike depending on the context - but I probably would be that stupid character in a horror movie that knocks the killer out but ends up running off instead of using the opportunity to chop off his head.

After seeing the mass amounts of complaining about how horrible and racist the democrats were for trying to pounce on the gun bill using something the republicans had made a concession on instead of ineffectually introducing The Perfect Bill, I think a lot of Democrats will be reluctant to keep this up. Some people don't have the stomach for political brutality, others like the idea but don't understand the execution.

Republicans can do it because they only care about the outcome. Democrats struggle because, like always, anything that's not perfect is a total capitulation and essentially the same as Actually Being Republican, and politically savaging people usually means you're doing something other than being the Best Progressive. It's pretty clear from this election cycle that being loud and consistently "right" is more important to a lot of people than any sort of compromise or concession, and an environment like that makes it hard to effectively curb stomp your opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kalman posted:

They all said it wouldn't be worth pivoting and they wouldn't actually do it, and they've subsequently been proven correct?

The Republican didn't pivot and now the Democrats are pivoting to the right by not pivoting. Coincidence?

• Locked thread