Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Junpei Hyde posted:

Nintendo's official DLC schedule doesn't have the hot springs, yeah.

An anime without a beach episode is like an episode of Seinfeld without Jerry Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's plenty of anime games without hot springs or beach sequences

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Tae posted:

They're not real anime.

Signed: Anime expert :colbert:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

all the good ones though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The music won't get out of my head

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
so itsuki's got a skill that boosts sp gain if a session has more than two combo hits, but how do i make that happen?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked Reincarnation but most of the music so far has just kind of sounded like typical Jrpg music to me.

I expected battles to have lyrics because for once they have a actual excuse for it but nope. (And for the record, not saying it's bad. It's just been kinda there.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Inflammatory posted:

so itsuki's got a skill that boosts sp gain if a session has more than two combo hits, but how do i make that happen?

I was wondering that, I think it's badly worded and means more than two hits total, ie if the third person attacks as well. Unless there are later skills that let you chain more but it's weird that it's unlocked way before them unless I'm missing something.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just saw a locked skill on a character that seemed to make them able to join Session attacks if they are on the bench.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what are the exact mechanics behind first strikes again? I feel like I don't always get one when I should

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

what are the exact mechanics behind first strikes again? I feel like I don't always get one when I should

You should always get one if you knock an enemy down with your sword and then walk into them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

I think knocking them down just gives you a fairly high percentage chance of getting one not a guaranteed one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

You should always get one if you knock an enemy down with your sword and then walk into them.

It doesn't always unless it's possible to walk into them before they're fully in the 'down' position and not get one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When I knocked them down I was sometimes getting normal starts. I knocked them down and walked into them from behind and have gotten nonstop first strikes sense so I figured that was it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are ways to increase the chance of getting a first strike, so I don't believe it's guaranteed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nah it's random. Knocking them down is just what makes it possible to do one.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Man, Illusory Shibuya is pretty confusing. So many branching paths, especially in the second half of the dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Nah it's random. Knocking them down is just what makes it possible to do one.

I guess I've just been lucky then.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I like Kiria's pirate hatsune miku outfit and the kickass mic stand. I think I read some people here not liking it.

I dont recognize Tsubasa's Atlus DLC costume. i'm going to guess that it's from something Persona since I haven't played any of those yet.

If this is anything like persona though, I'm starting to lean towards getting a PS4 or something in the future so I can play those and the back catalogue of SMT games I never checked out from their shop.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

SylvainMustach posted:

I like Kiria's pirate hatsune miku outfit and the kickass mic stand. I think I read some people here not liking it.

I dont recognize Tsubasa's Atlus DLC costume. i'm going to guess that it's from something Persona since I haven't played any of those yet.

If this is anything like persona though, I'm starting to lean towards getting a PS4 or something in the future so I can play those and the back catalogue of SMT games I never checked out from their shop.

It's from Persona Q.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are zero Persona games available on the PS4. Persona 5 will be the first. If you want to play Persona, your best bet is actually the Vita, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tsubasa's blonde DLC is Rei from Persona Q, a spin-off crossover between P3 and P4 on the 3DS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dunban posted:

Man, Illusory Shibuya is pretty confusing. So many branching paths, especially in the second half of the dungeon.

Yeah, I just found the third warp point and I think I missed a bunch of stuff between that and the second. At least if you just want to explore you can knock stuff down and avoid them.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I haven't played more since getting to the first intermission after the first chapter, but this game really needs more transformation sequences and I hope it delivers in the future

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

MrAristocrates posted:

There are zero Persona games available on the PS4. Persona 5 will be the first. If you want to play Persona, your best bet is actually the Vita, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Well I do prefer handhelds. Can you download the other SMT games on that?

Edit:

Dunban posted:

It's from Persona Q.

That explains it. I haven't played that one.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Just finished the first "real" dungeon (not counting the prologue one), and I'm liking this game. Just figured out how to change Tsubasa out of her... unfortunate battle outfit. It's a neat design but... couldn't they have given her a full skirt, at least? Yeesh.

Question: is there any way to tell if buffs/debuffs are still in effect? Or do I just have to count the rounds?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Just finished the first "real" dungeon (not counting the prologue one), and I'm liking this game. Just figured out how to change Tsubasa out of her... unfortunate battle outfit. It's a neat design but... couldn't they have given her a full skirt, at least? Yeesh.

Question: is there any way to tell if buffs/debuffs are still in effect? Or do I just have to count the rounds?

Look at the right hand side of the screen with your health and stuff. All buffs and debuffs have icons there.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dunban posted:

it looks worse than it really is; most of the branches either put you by an unavoidable camera or just funnel into the same areas anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SylvainMustach posted:

Well I do prefer handhelds. Can you download the other SMT games on that?

Edit:

That explains it. I haven't played that one.

Here's a list of what SMT games are on which handhelds:

3DS:
Strange Journey (DS game)
Persona Q
Soul Hackers
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
Shin Megami Tensei IV
The upcoming Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, which is a sequel to IV

Persona Q is an Etrian Odyssey-style dungeon crawler with the casts of Persona 3 and 4. The Devil Survivor games are SRPGs. Soul Hackers is a rerelease and a little clunky. I haven't played Strange Journey but I've heard many people say things that lead me to believe it is absolutely not for SMT beginners.

Vita:
Persona (PSP)
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1, and the sequel to Innocent Sin)
Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Warning: this is a rhythm game)

Persona 1 and 2 are pretty clunky overall, but Persona 2's got a great story. Yes, there was a PSP version of Eternal Punishment, but it never made it stateside. Don't play Persona 1. When you mention modern Persona, however, people are thinking of 3 and 4, which are very good. Note about P3P: they very heavily changed the presentation due to space constraints. In my opinion it doesn't really matter because 3 doesn't do much with its cutscenes but others feel more strongly. For these reasons (and also because I think 3 is kinda worse overall) play P3P before P4G. Also play P3P as the lady because the dude sucks.

The standouts here, especially in relation to TMS, are probably SMTIV and Persona 3 and 4. I'd snap up a cheap 3DS or Playstation TV. The 3DS is where mainline SMT lives, but if you want to play Persona, it's all on Vita, at least until 5 comes out.

e: also the Persona games are only tangentially related except IS and EP, don't worry about order.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 25, 2016

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The tiny circles on the gamepad background keep making me think I might have sneezed on it.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 25, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I kinda wish I could've played chapter 2 without having been exposed to the internet whining about the changes because I probably wouldn't even have noticed

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light
If you're in the US I'd recommend a PS3 honestly. You can get the PS2 versions of Persona 3 and 4 on PSN. Persona 5 will also be on PS3 and I'm pretty sure that would be worth getting over the first two games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SylvainMustach posted:

i'm going to guess that it's from something Persona since I haven't played any of those yet.
that was a very brave thing to admit on these forums :ohdear:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The dark Hee Ho Mart clerk has the greatest voice acting of all time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:gonk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm glad Franziska von Karma dyed her hair blonde and decided to become an actress

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Funny I took this exact same screenshot

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Ethiser posted:

I just saw a locked skill on a character that seemed to make them able to join Session attacks if they are on the bench.

Everyone besides Itsuki will eventually learn Radiant Skills that allow them to join Sessions from the backline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Is the clerk at Anzu supposed to be Cath from FE6?

• Locked thread