Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

monkeu posted:

If you care about sound quality so much pay some money to Jayz I guess. If you think Spotify is vastly superior quality to Apple Music then you're only playing yourself I'm afraid, and all the independent tests support that

Android as well hahah. Living the ghetto life

Id like to see these independent tests about sound quality of spotify vs apple music could you please link ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Youtube red 4 lyfe

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Youtube red 4 lyfe

word

I love no longer having any ads at all on YouTube. Also some of the YouTube Red originals (like CollegeHumor's Bad Internet) are a lot of fun.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

thathonkey posted:

Id like to see these independent tests about sound quality of spotify vs apple music could you please link ?

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/apple-music-vs-spotify-is-there-a-difference-in-sound-quality/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/7/8872115/apple-music-tidal-spotify-audio-quality-test

https://smartdns.com/blog/1355/apple-music-vs-spotify-vs-tidal-vs-google-streaming-wars/#chapter2

Unless you're an idiot who thinks bigger numbers are automatically better (even though Apple uses a superior format) everyone agrees the difference in sound quality between Apple Music or Spotify is either negligible or non existent, and if you really care about sound quality so much you should subscribe to tidal.

So it comes down to library size and exclusives, and Apple Music shits all over Spotify in both departments

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ok calm down man i just wanted the links because i was genuinely curious (couldnt find much info on apple's format and details as is typical of apple) so thank you for that

edit: ah yeah i figured apple was using AAC but i wanted to know the bitrate to be able to do any meaningful comparison b/w it and another compression format. i did not know spotify uses ogg vorbis. very interesting ! so no you can't perform a straight bitrate comparison between these two formats, you gotta dig a little deeper. it's true that pretty much anything greater than 128 bit ogg starts to perform about the same as AAC (and other lossys). ogg's real strong suit (other than being open) iirc is making gains in the <128 range against other formats. some extremely rare individuals would be able to tell the difference between a 320 ogg and 256 aac though but youre right not many and certainly not my ears.

is there no way to adjust stream quality on itunes desktop? the ios app has a high vs low switch. i assume high is probably the 256 aac. any idea what the low quality switches it to? i didnt finish reading all three articles yet. need to check to see what mine is set on that could explain why i think apple sounds kinda lovely. i see sometimes itunes music mentioned as mastered "specifically for itunes" (no idea what that means, could be marketing bullshit -- the cnet article mentions itunes gets the same version as CD and other digital stores).

anyway genuinely thanks for the info i love reading about this stuff and sorry for the derail :downs:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 26, 2016

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

no way a bitch texts you back when she sees the green bubbles

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

God bless

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
NEW FUTURE TAPE DROPPED

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
biting on a whole other level

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What did Future do to deserve this...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

release lazy projects in 2016?!!!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Every song is basically a hook repeated 30 times on every song. What is Future even doing at the end of Da Day?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

got caught slipping

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

yall just being slanderous at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqTiIA-C3Fg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isU7n-XNSbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JomoIEIdVNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zn4jqpup1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUyf8SMPUAI

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is straight up creepy

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Beautiful weather to listen to that new Rae Sremmurd album OH WAIT

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress Mike Will

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Beautiful weather to listen to that new Rae Sremmurd album OH WAIT

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

40 lbs to freedom posted:

oh yeah i forgot id rather pay $20 a month to jayz for no reason or listen to tin can quality music on apples poo poo rear end app on my android phone

Android phone hahahaha

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I watched the XXL Freshman Freestyles and Anderson .Paak won by a margin. I think I skipped through Malibu when it first came out and passed it off as a Kendrick clone/baby.

Revisiting Malibu and I'm thinking I'm in for a treat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Housh posted:

You are, it's great

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgl8u6EmDw4

FUUUUUUUUCK

Vince :allears:
James B :allears:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
malibu is way too woke for me.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Housh posted:

Ya. Check out his last one too if you like it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Android phone hahahaha
I wonder how many kids get busted from logging into a music streaming service on their burner.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gently caress Mike Will

still waiting for ape poo poo :colbert:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

why are you guys turning this into an apple vs android debate like its 2009 rn

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Vince said in a recent Fader interview that he's dropping an EP this summer with James Blake production on it. Really interested in hearing it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

why are you guys turning this into an apple vs android debate like its 2009 rn

dunno but i think it started right around this post:

oh yeah i forgot id rather pay $20 a month to jayz for no reason or listen to tin can quality music on apples poo poo rear end app on my android phone

but the debate is still relevant cause android is still turrible

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I switched from Spotify to Apple Music (for ~3 weeks now?) and the Apple Music UI/menu loving SUCKS to find music, especially if you're going to try add albums/songs to your Library via your computer.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah itunes desktop is a terrible clunky mess and i already regret moving over to apple music a few months ago but i'm tired of porting library/playlist back and forth. guess they grinded me down and won over my business so kudos to apple or whatever

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Google Play Music is loving awful. I have the free trial and FML.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Spotify owns.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm super tempted to get a Tidal account just because I'm tired of searching for mirrors all the time, but then they'll massively gently caress something up and I'm like "ehh nevermind"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
spotify is by far the best overall in terms of service, apps, etc. ive used them all pretty extensively now. unfortunately their library is suffering because they didnt get in on the exclusives game early enough. if they recover from that i will change back.

tidal's mobile app is a blatant ripoff of spotify's which means that it actually has a competent UI. unfortunately they did not have a full fledged desktop app when i tried it early this year which kinda sucks ... their web app aint too shabby though. i assume they'll come out with a desktop standalone app soon if they havent already. i like to have music running in a separate program from my browser.

honestly tidal and spotify should merge and go on to dominate apple and google.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get an Apple Music account because it's inevitably going to win. They're investing incomparable resources into Apple Music. It'll get more user friendly. And it's only $5 for students.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm not gonna help apple get more stupid exclusives. gently caress this new age streaming poo poo.

Also people unironically like this Desiigner poo poo and I'm confused.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's kinda crazy to me how people poo poo on Drake for not writing his own stuff but Desiigner gets a pass for literally copying Futures whole style.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

Get an Apple Music account because it's inevitably going to win. They're investing incomparable resources into Apple Music. It'll get more user friendly. And it's only $5 for students.

i'm inclined to agree. they've made a few incremental improvements like an option to not add everything you add to a playlist into your library but nothing sweeping yet. like itunes need a full-scale rewrite (which they probably very well know and are working on god willing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Can I use Apple Music without installing iTunes?

Because that is a deal-breaker.