Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

steady posted:

They weren't doing too badly, it was just a lot of whining about immigrants (incidentally they bitched about Polish migrants who were doing menial lovely jobs they wouldn't do, but moochers from ex-colonies were OK) and the "terrible hegemony" of EU (read Germany) sucking their hard-earned monies to fund backward shitholes like Romania (never mind that two regions where majority of Leavers were are North England and Wales, the poorest regions of UK who depend on government and EU subsidies). No one yet said anything about if Brits bothered to keep their industry strong then maybe EU wouldn't be able to bully poor little them, because that's how things always go, stronger and bigger push the weaker around. All they had for themselves were tourism and international banking and banking will piss off to Germany now because money rolls where the strong economy based on real production is situated.

Whew, this felt like a DnD ramble but people need to be enlightened, I s'ppose.

Lol no banking isn't going to Germany. Banking didn't congregate in London because of the EU, it set up shop there because the UK is a satellite state of the US and they're pretty wishy washy on enforcement of banking regs for big spenders while retaining a veneer of respectability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

This is what super confuses me. Before all this happened the internet seemed to be behind neoliberalism and globalization being instruments used to slowly strip away worker rights and grinding the lower and middle classes into poverty, with the EU being the main proponents of it using the economic weight of the wealthier countries to crush countries like Greek into dust with crippling austerity after taking away all their monetary controls leaving themselves helpless to fix their own economy.

Now the UK leaves and all the sudden the EU are the good guys and everyone who wanted to leave are a bunch of uneducated racist hicks?

I honestly don't know which way is better in the end and what the long term consequences of this action are going to be, but the pivoting viewpoints are giving me whiplash.

The people complaining about neoliberalism and globalisation graduated from university and got jobs in multinational companies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

This is what super confuses me. Before all this happened the internet seemed to be behind neoliberalism and globalization being instruments used to slowly strip away worker rights and grinding the lower and middle classes into poverty, with the EU being the main proponents of it using the economic weight of the wealthier countries to crush countries like Greek into dust with crippling austerity after taking away all their monetary controls leaving themselves helpless to fix their own economy.

Now the UK leaves and all the sudden the EU are the good guys and everyone who wanted to leave are a bunch of uneducated racist hicks?

I honestly don't know which way is better in the end and what the long term consequences of this action are going to be, but the pivoting viewpoints are giving me whiplash.

Britain leaving the EU will do nothing to stem the Neoliberal tide, especially since those who most strongly agitated to leave tend to be the most craven worker-loving, public-sector-destroying vultures themselves, if anything the EU ended up enforcing various protections for workers and the environment against the wishes of many of the Reactionaries in Britain. You can see this in one of the most tediously long-lived memes that exists in Britain about the EU, that its all red tape and bureaucracy designed to keep down the captains of industry poor hardworking business owners who just need to dump tons of milk in the river over there.

There is a leftist argument against the EU that I was sympathetic to at the start of the campaign, but over the course of the last year its abundantly clear 99% of people who want to leave are viewing the issue through the lens of 'I hate the Muslims and Romanians/Make England great again!'. Its notable Greece practically never came up at all among the leave campaign.

In any event Britain couldn't be bossed around by the rest of the EU, things like them keeping the Sterling show that well enough. Instead they've been able to make huge demands that no other country has been able to match because of their economic clout. And wouldn't you know it they usually used that to try and suppress the free movement of people around Europe, truly a great leftist policy.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

bongwizzard posted:

Was England doing poorly before they joined the EU? I don't entirely understand the economic doom and gloom, like, England has been chugging along for a hundreds of years, what's different now?

They had to sell austerity which was known to be factually wrong but whatever so the press tied it to immigrants stealing jobs and ~~the economy~~ while the tories went on to privatise and sell everything to themselves & friends behind the facade of austerity & recovery by subservience to the financiers - at some point there were riots everywhere, the muslims invaded and a single issue party got millions of votes to kick out the immigrants but no seats to effect policy except by using a fog horn from the thames because the same people that voted for ukip got lied to by the same idiots into thinking that fair representation in counting votes was a mistake.

It's all become a pig loving farce and the fall guy has already fallen so now everyone who got angry about all the wrong people will spend another election cycle stumbling around thinking they did all this themselves and they caused billions in losses to a bloated, broken, infinitely wealthy financial sector that has stripped the country bare and wants to sell the shell back to us. The apathy and discontent is near complete in the youth and poor of the country, the youth already had their votes sold to the tories by camerons school friend, the poor are loving lost, with nobody able to reach them or explain rationally to them because the alarmist politics and warranted distrust, well let's not say warranted let's say casus belli on an entire system that has hosed them again and again for decades that its basically down to us vs them with them being whoever you personally don't quite like, but it works if we just say them or all agree on just saying muslim. It's hard to really describe the real motivations behind the vast unwashed masses but its so far removed from a middle class twitter persona the internet isn't the place to get to know the true complexities of a working class brittan but you can be sure they are victims of a brutal class system that acts without mercy, lawfully, without truth and shelved the logic that a country should work to the betterment of all.

Actually yea its everyone's fault for being an ignorant buck tooth pasty looking clown face mongoloid sounding club foot chinless inbred small minded post imperialist oval office but i digress

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

There are real, legitimate reasons for both leaving the EU and staying in it and neither side of the Brexit campaign used them. It was all racism and racism accusations

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Maoist Pussy posted:

Britain is a terrible shithole full of inbred racists, and we are upset that they won't join our union! - lefties
Wait what the hell, since when is the EU a leftist thing? The left in my experience tends to be fairly tepid about it because while they tend to be into international cooperation the EU tends to push a pretty neoliberal agenda. And the economic right tends to be much more strongly for it than the left. (Are people confused over the difference between the European and American meaning of 'liberal' or something?)

Maoist Pussy posted:

You don't change liberals' minds. You either intimidate them or just wait for them to die of AIDS.
also lol that gbs is basically freep with half of this thread just being people yelling LIBERALS :argh: at some amorphous strawman liberal built up from the expressed opinions of disparate groups of people including loving tumblr

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

cool and good posted:

There are real, legitimate reasons for both leaving the EU and staying in it and neither side of the Brexit campaign used them. It was all racism and racism accusations
What are these? They're getting drowned out by identipol horse poo poo but I really want to know. Link whatever please

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
The truth is somewhere in the middle guys

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Elukka posted:

Wait what the hell, since when is the EU a leftist thing? The left in my experience tends to be fairly tepid about it because while they tend to be into international cooperation the EU tends to push a pretty neoliberal agenda. And the economic right tends to be much more strongly for it than the left. (Are people confused over the difference between the European and American meaning of 'liberal' or something?)

also lol that gbs is basically freep with half of this thread just being people yelling LIBERALS :argh: at some amorphous strawman liberal built up from the expressed opinions of disparate groups of people including loving tumblr

a lot of EU skepticism comes from people who prefer a nation state, a motherland, to a very impersonal, distant and poorly legitimized EU. To the left, one shred of patriotism already equals Maximum Hitler.

That, and the whole Internationalism of the left: "Workers* of the world, unite."

*People that yell this the loudest are not workers themselves.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole brexit made me realize that the UK is run by revolting man pig hybrids

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

don't know, but they probably are not, because the covers so drat good

"as read by's" would be amazing. it would stimilate the economy, boris, your country needs you.

i dont see the bullet holes, is this supposed to be metaphorical?

etalian posted:

The whole brexit made me realize that world is run by revolting man pig hybrids
FTFY.

Velkest posted:

Maximum Hitler.

no, we are talking many megahitlers here.

fuuuuuuuuck.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 26, 2016

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Al Cowens posted:

What are these? They're getting drowned out by identipol horse poo poo but I really want to know. Link whatever please

look, i'll start at the beginning, the echr really stifles "self expression by those who really think torture is cool just fr the sake of it."
any questions.

man, I am just pissed off that I'm actually going to be affected by idiots and their reasoning. so much that I posted twice. gently caress.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Velkest posted:

a lot of EU skepticism comes from people who prefer a nation state, a motherland, to a very impersonal, distant and poorly legitimized EU. To the left, one shred of patriotism already equals Maximum Hitler.

That, and the whole Internationalism of the left: "Workers* of the world, unite."

That's a rather naive and rosy picture of nationalism you're painting there. You also have a false equivalence going because the EU is not an alternative to national sovereignty.

Can't say I've noticed a sentiment like that from the current European left. You're taking an old communist slogan and trying to apply it to to various social democratic parties for some reason. In any case, I've never seen the left portray the EU as some sort of union of leftist ideals.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Just lol if you think progressive liberals actually give a poo poo about the working class in any serious capacity.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Significantly more than neoliberals or reactionary conservatives do?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Luxury Communism posted:

Just lol if you think progressive liberals actually give a poo poo about the working class in any serious capacity.

The working class would matter more if they just took the time to get an education and learn to debate their points the same way we do.

And if they washed their hands, spent more time reading, and stopped putting physical fitness over mental pursuits.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Luxury Communism posted:

Who? Which liberals? While, sure, there's a lot of liberals who are also idiots, and I'm sure if you were to trawl Tumblr you'd find all sorts of absurdity, this sort of statement doesn't really make any sense. You do realize that if you care about such things as the working class, social security, healthcare and education, then by most peoples' definition you are a liberal or leftist?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luxury Communism posted:

It's kind of like owning and taking care of a pet that just won't stop biting you. Sometimes they just need to be drowned in a river.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Elukka posted:

Who? Which liberals? While, sure, there's a lot of liberals who are also idiots, this sort of statement doesn't really make any sense. You do realize that if you care about such things as the working class, social security, healthcare and education, then by most peoples' definition you are a liberal or leftist?

I mean the veneer of progressiveness coming from the political machinery of the EU.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The EU made Europe great again, now excuse us while we go starve some greeks to death.

Germans must get paid

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

brexit

put a donk on it

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Elukka posted:

Who? Which liberals? While, sure, there's a lot of liberals who are also idiots, and I'm sure if you were to trawl Tumblr you'd find all sorts of absurdity, this sort of statement doesn't really make any sense. You do realize that if you care about such things as the working class, social security, healthcare and education, then by most peoples' definition you are a liberal or leftist?

read the Guardian for examples of what he's talking about. They make all kinds of noises about worker's rights, health care and so on but if so much as a pound is shaved off their house prices or their stock portfolios (or worse, if poors move into the neighbourhood or they have to pay for coffee) then god help everyone

this song might also be instructive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

steady posted:

They weren't doing too badly, it was just a lot of whining about immigrants (incidentally they bitched about Polish migrants who were doing menial lovely jobs they wouldn't do, but moochers from ex-colonies were OK) and the "terrible hegemony" of EU (read Germany) sucking their hard-earned monies to fund backward shitholes like Romania (never mind that two regions where majority of Leavers were are North England and Wales, the poorest regions of UK who depend on government and EU subsidies).

Which is also hilarious because Romania works hard to maintain it's membership in the EU. It's probably the least corrupt country out of the former Soviet states, largely because of EU mandates regarding corruption. They don't have the oligarch problem like places like Ukraine have. They even have this anti-corruption police that has it's own COPS-like TV show, except instead of busting poor people for minor offenses, it's rich folks and politicians getting frog-marched into squad cars for bribes and kickbacks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao looks like Corbyn will probably be another casualty of the Brexit vote due to grumbling in the labour party over his leadership:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/25/eu-referendum-brexit-prime-minister-tory-mps-boris-johnson-leade/

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

etalian posted:

The EU made Europe great again, now excuse us while we go starve some greeks to death.

Germans must get paid

It will take a while

http://europe.newsweek.com/financial-distress-greece-said-be-fueling-childhood-obesity-330613

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Young Freud posted:

Which is also hilarious because Romania works hard to maintain it's membership in the EU. It's probably the least corrupt country out of the former Soviet states, largely because of EU mandates regarding corruption. They don't have the oligarch problem like places like Ukraine have. They even have this anti-corruption police that has it's own COPS-like TV show, except instead of busting poor people for minor offenses, it's rich folks and politicians getting frog-marched into squad cars for bribes and kickbacks.

now that's my kind of TV

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Romania was never a Soviet state, though it had a communist regime (and dictator) in place.

Rambling Robot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 26, 2016

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Rambling Robot posted:

Romania was never a Soviet state, though it had a Moscow-friendly communist regime (and dictator) in place.

who went retarded and got what was coming to him

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Young Freud posted:

last time i was there the town hall at Sinaia had a big sign out the front saying something like "we don't take bribes here anymore" which is kind of a weird thing for a country that's completely on the level to feel it needs to hang outside its city halls

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lord Binky posted:

he wasn't the moscow friendly one. he took an IMF loan, went retarded and got what was coming

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Lord Binky posted:

So did his wife. Good riddance!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

he wasn't the moscow friendly one. he took an IMF loan, went retarded and got what was coming

yeah I ruined his edit, whoops :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the last time i was in romania they reaired nikolai's execution in realtime on tv

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Velkest posted:

How incredibly drat naive. Just because your leftist friends are shallow and dumb doesn't mean a thing. How do explain the SNP (which I just learned about yesterday)?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Lord Binky posted:

yeah I ruined his edit, whoops :(

Yeah, I realized my error. So please shot me by a firing squad. :(

Orange Cat
Feb 26, 2013
Snagged a Warlord Titan for dirt cheap. Thanks brexit!

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

the last time i was in romania they reaired nikolai's execution in realtime on tv

It sure beats watching badly dubbed Cheers episodes.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rambling Robot posted:

It sure beats watching badly dubbed Cheers episodes.

that depends if its badly dubbed into english, and rupert everett does the voice of the angly little italian woman.

Velkest posted:

lol at people proving my point.

what do you drink to sleep at night?

staberind fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014
lol at people proving my point.

• Locked thread