Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I considered that one; how is it? Is it basically a sci-fi version of TLD?

Edit: Referring to Solus; Firewatch looks neat but I'm cheap.

I've played an hour preview on Xbox, and it was pretty fun. It was vaunted as being like 'The Martian: the game', and it's not too dissimilar from that concept. Crashed ship, find water, find food, make fire, explore, sleep, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So far the Solus project has been me spending an hour in a nearly linear cave so I haven't gotten any survival out of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You didn't land on a beach and have to find shelter and light a fire and whatnot?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

fennesz posted:

Sticks. 7 sticks burn for ~1 hour and they're absofuckinglutely everywhere. I've honestly stopped chopping wood and just amass sticks. It's a little more tedious but I typically make the rounds around my shelter and see if there are any deer easily chased into wolves for a free meal and collect sticks while I'm doing it. The best thing is if you get a pack full of meat or other supplies instead you can just drop them any old time and they'll be waiting for you.

Sticks man, sticks.

Also for anyone else returning to TLD: meat deteriorates more quickly while indoors. Unless the newest updated revered it (haven't played it yet) store your meat outside.

Sticks also are your best bet for fuel used for starting fires, can be converted into tinder plugs quickly with no tools, and don't require tool degradation to obtain. Sticks are amazing and should be the centerpiece of your firemaking strategies.

Do car trunks count as outside for storing meat? I tend to use the coastal house near the quonset hut gas station as my house, and there are a couple cars lying around that I can move my meat to.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I considered that one; how is it? Is it basically a sci-fi version of TLD?

Edit: Referring to Solus; Firewatch looks neat but I'm cheap.

Firewatch isn't a survival game. It's more like a first person adventure game. Walking around, some light puzzles, lots of dialogue and a great story. Some people are let down by the way the story ends but I liked it quite a lot. It's only around 3 hours long though so ymmv.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

You didn't land on a beach and have to find shelter and light a fire and whatnot?

On Normal difficulty as long as you don't hang around trying to find every +1% bonus artifact you'll find enough supply caches to keep you going without much stress. It's mostly a linear story and the survival stuff feels secondary.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aphex- posted:

Firewatch isn't a survival game. It's more like a first person adventure game. Walking around, some light puzzles, lots of dialogue and a great story. Some people are let down by the way the story ends but I liked it quite a lot. It's only around 3 hours long though so ymmv.

Yeah, it looks cool but being a short "walking simulator" means my threshold for spending money on it is somewhere around $5. Nothing against the game or people that like them, just not what I go for.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah, it looks cool but being a short "walking simulator" means my threshold for spending money on it is somewhere around $5. Nothing against the game or people that like them, just not what I go for.

Just so you know, the quality is an order of magnitude higher than just about anything else you could label a walking sim. The voice acting alone is some of the best in video games.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm trying to decide between buying The Long Dark and Subnautica today - any opinions on which has more longevity?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Depends on what you like. Subnautica is a sandbox, The Long Dark is a true survival sim.

If you like building bigger underwater bases as your game play and like building, Subnautica.

If you want to stress your survival game play and don't care about building, Long Dark.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
To expand on Subnautica a bit, it does have some survival in it but it's all the usual short term food, water, and oxygen type stuff. As long as you're remembering to grab fish to cook you'll never have any real worry. They've also added farming since last I played so it's gone even further in the direction of exploration with the purpose of finding resources and research to make a better base.

It's a tough choice as both are pretty unique in the survival sim space in that they have interesting settings that are well realized and mesh with the mechanics. Both are the cheapest they've ever been, you can get both for cheaper than the full price of either, and both get substantial updates.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gotcha, thanks! I think I will just go ahead and pick up both. May not get around to playing one or the other for a while, but that's probably not a bad thing with Early Access games...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I went into the Distress Pistol challenge in TLD without reading up on it. I'm only in the coastal highway with just over a day left. I don't think I'm going to make it.

As soon as I stepped out of the Hunter's Lodge I hit a -20 degree wind. Then later a -40 degree. It's been rough.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That loving game.

Pretty keen on No Man's sky though, looks like the perfect game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know. Without multiplayer it seems like it's going to be pretty hollow. Especially because they'll be charging 60 bucks for it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Subnautica is pretty cool so far. Got set up with a few essentials (knife, scanner, fins, radiation suit) and am gonna start building a shelter near what I *think* is a heat vent (hoping there is thermal generators since I've discovered solar snd biogenerators).

The seaglide handhrld propeller thing has been great for scouting around. Found an area that started looking like it went deep but then I spotted some big and scary looking in the murky water and decided "nah I'll just go this way instead".

Is the map randomly generated? And do fish not regenerate? I've noticed there a almost no fish left around my pod. So either I've eaten them all or they've learned to avoid the area.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:ohdear: Subnautica has big open areas of ocean where you can't see the bottom or basically anything, doesn't it?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:ohdear: Subnautica has big open areas of ocean where you can't see the bottom or basically anything, doesn't it?

Judging by the store page screenshots you can go deep enough the sun doesn't reach at all. Pitch Blackness. :ohdear:

But this is about as deep/open as I've gone so far:

I pretty much immediately RTB when I notice the sun is getting low. Night is scary. :ohdear:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It does.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is the map randomly generated? And do fish not regenerate? I've noticed there a almost no fish left around my pod. So either I've eaten them all or they've learned to avoid the area.

The map is pre-made. Fish do breed and regenerate (I think), but you can very easily cull their populations faster than they can breed. Catching a few to breed in your bases' aquariums is a good idea if you want equilibrium in the ocean.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hooboy. Phobias are really dumb, especially when it's a video game. I don't like water that I can't see the bottom of. Won't stop me from trying!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
They did recently make it so that fish respawn, but if you build a large aquarium and put two or three different kinds of fish in it they breed faster than your hunger goes down so it ends up being a pretty much infinite food supply and you'll have to do less chasing fish around.

I love the game, I think it's one of the best looking survival games out right now. My one quibble is that the teeth you need to gather to build the big submarine are way too hard to find.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Follow the stalkers in your sea moth as they play with metal. They drop them when they do that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

You can actually encourage them to drop teeth by bringing them scrap metal. Just swim close enough to get their attention, drop the piece of metal and they'll immediately home in on it and ignore you. Follow them and they should start dropping teeth.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 26, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made it through the Whiteout challenge in TLD once I realized that when you have all the supplies you win, you don't have to survive the full 30 days. Then I tried the bear challenge and holy christ was that tense and scary. You start in Pleasant Valley, nearish the big house, at 8-10% condition after a bear mauls you. There is a basement nearby with a few supplies so you can rest and heal yourself before heading out.

The bear will absolutely loving follow you, appearing at very inopportune times and charge you very fast. You can shoot it with the Distress Pistol that you get in the basement and it will run away for a bit but God help you if you miss your shot. You have to go all the way through the dam (is the wolf there always passive? It didn't even look at me) then all the way to Trapper's Homestead. I had to stop at the Logging Cabins because I was drat tired and cold. I leave in the morning, belly full, sun shining, and here's Mr. Bear! I miss TWO flare shots (missing means he runs away but comes right back instead of disappearing) and I got mauled bad. 9% condition again but I have meds so I treat myself and move on in a rush, hoping he'll stay away and I can save my one flare. Then a wolf instagibs me before I can get a flare out and light it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hooboy. Phobias are really dumb, especially when it's a video game. I don't like water that I can't see the bottom of. Won't stop me from trying!

I'm with you on that, but fortunately the only time you find yourself in that situation is when you're surfacing for air and going back down. There isn't really anything you're looking for that isn't near the bottom/a cliff face, and there is one thing you're trying very hard to avoid anyway there. Once I got the Seamoth even that stopped being a problem, because running out of O2 is suddenly not a problem anymore.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

e: Does anyone know where you find the research materials recently added to TLD? The books I had in my house don't seem to be the right ones.

Paracelsus posted:

Do car trunks count as outside for storing meat? I tend to use the coastal house near the quonset hut gas station as my house, and there are a couple cars lying around that I can move my meat to.

Yes. Any container outside should count. Not sure about caves/covered patios.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 26, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did you know Subnautica was one of the first survival games to add virtual reality support? :unsmigghh:

(I've heard it's loving terrifying)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

(The Long Dark) Does storing things outside actually make them degrade slower? I can't seem to find any documentation of that aside from that storing things in containers in general makes things degrade slower and at some point there was a bug that made things in containers outside not degrade at all while you were indoors.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bremen posted:

Did you know Subnautica was one of the first survival games to add virtual reality support? :unsmigghh:

(I've heard it's loving terrifying)

Buy me a VR set and I'll be the guinea pig :v:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

(The Long Dark) Does storing things outside actually make them degrade slower? I can't seem to find any documentation of that aside from that storing things in containers in general makes things degrade slower and at some point there was a bug that made things in containers outside not degrade at all while you were indoors.

Only meat I believe. It's true. I tested it myself. Again, haven't played much the most recent patch so unless they rolled back this change, storing meat outside does make it decay more slowly.

One of the devs posted on the subreddit a month or two ago and said as much.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

does it matter what state the meat is in? Cooked/fresh?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I picked up Subnautica based on recommendations here. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I will always recommend Subnautica, especially if you have a healthy fear of The Black Abyss

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

does it matter what state the meat is in? Cooked/fresh?

Nope. Putting meat outside keeps it fresher, longer no matter the condition.

My understanding is that degradation now works like this. Meat on your person degrades the fastest. Meat indoors, not in a container is next. Meat in an indoor container is next. Meat outdoors is second slowest to degrade. Meat outdoors in a container degrades the most slowly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've played 4 hours of Subnautica so far. Haven't even starting building bases yet but I'm having a great time with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If I have two multipurpose rooms on top of each other with an alien containment in each, am I allowed to have 20 fish in the merged tank?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Met posted:

If I have two multipurpose rooms on top of each other with an alien containment in each, am I allowed to have 20 fish in the merged tank?

Yes. You can even grow creepvine in them for harvesting oil/rubber if you plant the seeds.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just grow creepvine on a planter in the middle of my base. Free lighting! :v: And yeah, stacked tanks can hold a huge amount of fish. Honestly, now that I have a filtration machine and the stillsuit I think I might just clear out my Airsack tank and use it for raising eggs or something. Hell, I barely do anything with my Peeper tank either, since I got a small arboretum going and even just two lampfruit trees produces more than enough food.

Currently sitting with my Seamoth sitting tucked inside a wreck in the Mushroom Forest, waiting for night to pass. Its scary at night this deep down. :ohdear:

Also I didn't realize the devs of this game were the same ones as Natural Selection until I found an NS2 poster. :v: Somehow sharing Alterra Corp just passed right over my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 28, 2016

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm glad Subnautica took off. I got the game a year ago back when it was significantly less refined (but still pretty good) and obviously had fewer working features, and at the time they were a little bit slow on the updates and I remember there being a bit of doom and gloom on the Steam forums about whether it was going to turn into another dead game like so many other EA titles. Yet now it's being held up, along with the Long Dark, as a shining example of how to do EA right, and also seems to be one of the best-selling titles in this genre going by Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 28, 2016