Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Even with the hitbox showing I keep losing it when things get hectic. I really do think part of it is because it's at the feet of the sprite instead of at the center and that projectiles fire from the top of your sprite. There's a lot of things pulling your attention away from the dot at your player's feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Meridian posted:

Buy a bunch of new games, end up playing Isaac forever.

It's sad because I just can't stand the Isaac artstyle and memes. I'd probably like playing it if it weren't for those.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Viral Warfare posted:

It's sad because I just can't stand the Isaac artstyle and memes. I'd probably like playing it if it weren't for those.

Deathstate or Gungeon yo :v:

After playing them both a bit, I think I personally prefer the style of Deathstate, which is really cool, but Gungeon has, well, guns. Gungeon is also more involved with aiming/shooting/dodging/blanks/weapon switching/item usage, blah blah

One thing I don't get about Deathstate, it uses the right analog stick for dodging, but the triggers are unused, and your abilities are on the buttons, so you're constantly moving your thumb on and off the dodge 'button'. If you could assign a button to dodge in whatever direction you're moving, it'd really be a one stick shooter and you could keep your thumb on the abilities at all times.

Losing a tiny bit of control in dodging direction for a big gain in usability would be a win for me at least.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Deathstate or Gungeon yo :v:

After playing them both a bit, I think I personally prefer the style of Deathstate, which is really cool, but Gungeon has, well, guns. Gungeon is also more involved with aiming/shooting/dodging/blanks/weapon switching/item usage, blah blah

Having seen videos of Gungeon, I just can't fathom why I would play it when Nuclear Throne exists. Like, in the time it takes to play one level of Gungeon, tediously plinking at a half-dozen enemies per room, I could have blasted through 2/3rds of a loop in Nuclear Throne with a kill count in the hundreds.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

play nuclear throne instead, yeah. it's not as 'expansive' as binding of isaac but it's way more polished.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Having seen videos of Gungeon, I just can't fathom why I would play it when Nuclear Throne exists. Like, in the time it takes to play one level of Gungeon, tediously plinking at a half-dozen enemies per room, I could have blasted through 2/3rds of a loop in Nuclear Throne with a kill count in the hundreds.

I played Gungeon before I had played Nuclear Throne and I still agree with this. Plus Nuclear Throne feels more fluid to me, though that's just a personal preference thing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The game's gotten better since they fixed the ammo drops being bugged. The game was supposed have a flat chance (around 15%, I think) to drop an ammo box on beating any room, ignoring any other aspect of the random loot drop system. However, if you had your infinite ammo starter weapon out, the game didn't drop that flat chance ammo because it assumed you didn't need. This caused a downward spiral where you used your starter weapon more because you ran out of ammo for your cooler/useful guns, and then proceeded to continue not getting ammo because you were using your starting gun. This meant winning runs were either plinking everything for the first 2-3 floors to conserve your guns for when you actually needed them, or getting lucky with a gun that had enough max ammo to sustain between ammo drops for the early game.

That said, it is definitely a very fun and lovely game that is brought down by a ton of small, paper-cut level issues. If you do pick it up and start to get annoyed by it, don't hesitate to pull out CheatEngine and fix one or two of the things that are bugging you, because it will improve your enjoyment of the game almost immediately.

I would also recommend Nuclear Throne over Gungeon for just shooting a bunch of stuff, though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I've been playing One Way Heroics today and I'm really enjoying it. Extremely straight forward and not at all overwhelming.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am not good at Desktop Dungeons. :saddowns: Does anyone have any tips on how to beat...well, anything? I like playing as the Fighter and the Wizard, but I'll take tips on anything, please.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is that roguelite with giant robots fighting over a country in some sort of match 3 called?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is that roguelite with giant robots fighting over a country in some sort of match 3 called?

Ironcast!

edit: Is it actually good? It's been on my wishlist for ages, and I love good match 3, but I'm still on the fence.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

victrix posted:

One thing I don't get about Deathstate, it uses the right analog stick for dodging, but the triggers are unused, and your abilities are on the buttons, so you're constantly moving your thumb on and off the dodge 'button'. If you could assign a button to dodge in whatever direction you're moving, it'd really be a one stick shooter and you could keep your thumb on the abilities at all times.

Losing a tiny bit of control in dodging direction for a big gain in usability would be a win for me at least.

I could see this working, if I get a minute I might add it as an option in a patch.

In non DS news, I banged away with perlin noise for a while and I'm starting to be pretty happy with the results. Needs refinement and more detail, but there are interesting shapes forming, and it's feeling more like a place.

And I made a lovely gif!

http://imgur.com/5vTS87q

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

superh posted:

And I made a lovely gif!

That almost looks like a 3D Caves of Qud in the canyon areas; very cool!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

superh posted:

I could see this working, if I get a minute I might add it as an option in a patch.

In non DS news, I banged away with perlin noise for a while and I'm starting to be pretty happy with the results. Needs refinement and more detail, but there are interesting shapes forming, and it's feeling more like a place.

And I made a lovely gif!

I am really liking what I see, without even peeking at the gif (all my bandwidth is kind of tied up right now after having to rebuild a machine). Put me down to beta?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ironcast!

edit: Is it actually good? It's been on my wishlist for ages, and I love good match 3, but I'm still on the fence.

It's vaguely ok for a match 3 game but post release support went pretty crazy with the nerf bat.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

superh posted:

And I made a lovely gif!

With the way your dude moves I'd almost call it Spaghetti Night Western. He's just dancing the wasteland away!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It's vaguely ok for a match 3 game but post release support went pretty crazy with the nerf bat.

Great. Thanks, I've shoved it way down on the wishlist, pending removal. :sigh: What's a girl gotta do to get a good match 3 roguelike/rpg?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

check out tomb of tyrants http://store.steampowered.com/app/340360/

not exactly match 3 but it fits the theme

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ironcast!

It's pretty luck-based. Even if you're really good at the match 3 stuff it's not guaranteed you'll get decent upgrades to your machine's equipments, which can lead to you getting hosed later. It's got a global unlock thing whenever you die, but that doesn't really help much.

What's kinda lovely is they added another pilot as DLC who gets better equipment as a passive, so it seems like they knew about that flaw.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Awesome! posted:

huh, that actually looks like a really cute and slick as hell concept for a game. does anyone have experience with it? it looks fun, especially for 4 bucks.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Awesome! posted:

Ha, I bought this a long time ago because the screenshots were so confusing, I just had to know what it was like. It's pretty fun, takes hours to get a hold of all the mechanics, but after that it's pretty easy to break it and get bored of having an unconquerable tomb.

e: Looks like there's a couple changes in the change log to late game difficulty, so maybe it's better now, but it all seems pretty minor.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 26, 2016

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Update on the run that triggered that post: up to 9 consecutive wrecks cut short by slime. :suicide:

Is this going to be business as usual now that they've started spawning? Just tell me now so I can stop wasting my time with this game if it is. I'm sure I can adjust to some extent by learning to move faster before I've even figured out if there's slime around, but a game of speed and reflexes is absolutely not what I signed up for. :downs:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

huh, that actually looks like a really cute and slick as hell concept for a game. does anyone have experience with it? it looks fun, especially for 4 bucks.

When I was trying (and failing) to find a PC Puzzle & Dragons rpgish clone, I grabbed that. The concept is really cool, but the execution is just eh. It's not horrible, especially for the price, but I didn't find it super engaging.

(If someone would kindly make an rpg match 3 with puzzle & dragon's specific gameplay mechanic, I'll buy five copies, thanks, roguelike tag optional)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What are the thread's thoughts on the Grimrock games? I don't know if those really qualify as roguelikes, I haven't played them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Meridian posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on the Grimrock games? I don't know if those really qualify as roguelikes, I haven't played them.

As I understand 'em, they're solid first person rpgs in the oldschool style, but they aren't roguelikes. (No randomness, for one.)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Meridian posted:

Really good updates of the Eye of Beholder formula. You can pretty safely buy the double pack if you even think you'll like them, but the first game is a steal at 3 bucks.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Not wholly what you guys are looking for (regarding match 3 games), but look into Gyromancer. It's a bit old and the Ui can be a little finnicky, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was actually the first game I ever bought on Steam.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

They are amazing but not even remotely roguelikes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am not good at Desktop Dungeons. :saddowns: Does anyone have any tips on how to beat...well, anything? I like playing as the Fighter and the Wizard, but I'll take tips on anything, please.

The key is to focus on above-level kills. Every class has abilities to let them punch above their weight for short bursts other than the Fighter, who has the XP bonus so the finer strategic points aren't as necessary. Sometimes the RNG or the level design will really screw you when it comes to what enemy types you're facing, but generally a situation that one class has trouble with, some other class will thrive in. Your goal is to maximize those situations for your class - so a magic resistant enemy is generally a bad target for a wizard until it's outleveled, while fragile first-strike enemies are likely to be possible to kill even if you're level 3 and they are level 5, for example. You usually need several above-level kills to get strong enough for the boss. Also, save level 1 and 2 enemies to cap off levels with - if you're 1 XP from level up and have a level 1 enemy sitting around that you can kill in one hit, the level 1 enemy effectively can act as a full heal potion if you kill it in the middle of a fight with a really nasty enemy. This can allow you to start tackling an enemy that is 3 or maybe, if they're weak to your class, even 4 levels higher than your initial level, and then finish them off without expending actual resources for a big bonus.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

They are amazing but not even remotely roguelikes.

Wish I could code/draw. I would like a turn based EoB roguelike with modern graphics (and not having to use DOSbox). I played the hell out of them back in the day. Dwarven Fighter/Cleric FTW!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Justin_Brett posted:

It's pretty luck-based. Even if you're really good at the match 3 stuff it's not guaranteed you'll get decent upgrades to your machine's equipments, which can lead to you getting hosed later. It's got a global unlock thing whenever you die, but that doesn't really help much.

What's kinda lovely is they added another pilot as DLC who gets better equipment as a passive, so it seems like they knew about that flaw.
35% off and the DLC has it higher. Disappointed with that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Meridian posted:

I've been playing One Way Heroics today and I'm really enjoying it. Extremely straight forward and not at all overwhelming.

:hf:

I really like OWH, though I would have liked it more if it wasn't QUITE so shallow. OWH+ is worth getting.

Viral Warfare posted:

The thing I can't stand about isaac is how if you don't get really lucky with damage upgrades everything takes FOREVER to kill later on. Half the time I don't lose because the game gets too hard, I lose because in the time it takes me to clear Sheol with a halo, rubber cement, and 6 range upgrades, I could just replay the first 8 floors.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 26, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Wish I could code/draw. I would like a turn based EoB roguelike with modern graphics (and not having to use DOSbox). I played the hell out of them back in the day. Dwarven Fighter/Cleric FTW!

The puzzles are part of what I love about this genre. I just don't think it would stand up as a roguelike. The best environmental puzzle design in roguelikes that I've seen is in Brogue, and even that is just nowhere near deep enough.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jazerus posted:

The key is to focus on above-level kills. Every class has abilities to let them punch above their weight for short bursts other than the Fighter, who has the XP bonus so the finer strategic points aren't as necessary. Sometimes the RNG or the level design will really screw you when it comes to what enemy types you're facing, but generally a situation that one class has trouble with, some other class will thrive in. Your goal is to maximize those situations for your class - so a magic resistant enemy is generally a bad target for a wizard until it's outleveled, while fragile first-strike enemies are likely to be possible to kill even if you're level 3 and they are level 5, for example. You usually need several above-level kills to get strong enough for the boss. Also, save level 1 and 2 enemies to cap off levels with - if you're 1 XP from level up and have a level 1 enemy sitting around that you can kill in one hit, the level 1 enemy effectively can act as a full heal potion if you kill it in the middle of a fight with a really nasty enemy. This can allow you to start tackling an enemy that is 3 or maybe, if they're weak to your class, even 4 levels higher than your initial level, and then finish them off without expending actual resources for a big bonus.

This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for; thank you! (Note to self, don't petrify enemies so that they block corridors and seal you off from the boss...)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

more short term tips:

the early shop items available once you set up the level 1 bazaar are actually really strong, if straightforward. pick up a fancy sword and locker it and take it on literally all your early runs, it makes things much simpler. the spoon is good and you should take it almost every time

spell uses that might not be immediately obvious:

the teleport glyph is actually really strong because it slows monsters, which gives you a free last hit on anything near death that doesn't roll lucky on magic resistance and gives you 1 more xp for the kill, as well as being useful for opening up the dungeon for exploration when you're blocked by nasty spawns (just consider your position carefully when you use it!). summoning isn't as tactically useful but also opens up the dungeon and lets you turn low level monsters into even better xp packages for later via the same slow effect for cheaper cost

putting a monster next to another monster and smacking their heads together with the knockback glyph is deceptively strong, especially if you find ways to increase your base damage (and if the monster that's being smacked into has physical resistance it doesn't save it at all?)

the wallbreaking glyph lets you turn tile exploration that would be otherwise wasted into temporary physical resistance (20% per 6 tiles, capping at 65%). this makes a really good opener against nonmagical monsters

the small dodge bonus from the first strike glyph adds up over time and can make the difference in a fight with a tough monster, so use it on things that you don't necessarily need to use it to beat and use it hetween hits if you don't have anything better to spend magic on

long term tips:

take on dungeons to the east/west/north/south because they can have subdungeons that unlock gods and gods give you a shitload of power potential for characters

generally push forward and take on new content as you unlock it because boss trophy prices will decline to a pittance if you wait too long to take on the boss of the game's main "plot" such as it is (they rebound to twice the minimum after)

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 26, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,a kindly Goon (Fart of Presto on Steam) just gifted me Sproggiwood. Any good tips for starting out? I don't play many roguelikes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Once you have found the weapon for your current class that gives you a line of fire on hit, buy it from the store so you can start with it forever. It provides you with some extra DPS and it'll carry you to the midgame where your skills take up the slack.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

So,a kindly Goon (Fart of Presto on Steam) just gifted me Sproggiwood. Any good tips for starting out? I don't play many roguelikes.

If you're fighting slimes, be careful about where you kill them so they don't clog up hallways with their goo. If you're fighting anything else, drag it back into hallways for bottlenecking. Good luck!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, Sproggiwood on Normal is pretty easy to get a grip on. Enemy gimmicks can be figured out without them being run-enders, as a rule. It's when you play on Savage that you'll start running into trouble...

I will say that the farmer's Pumpkin Bombs are amazing and you should learn to love them. Use abilities freely, in fact; there's a reason you regenerate MP with every kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Samizdata posted:

Put me down to beta?

Consider yourself down! I don't have any timeframe in mind yet, this is my nights-and-weekends project for now.