Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's far too common for people to ignore their backups.

And of those who ignore their backups, a significant percentage wants to blame someone else when they can't restore.

I dealt with a ticket today where a guy's backups have been failing for a month. He wasn't monitoring them. The failure was as simple as his backup disk being full. Could have been resolved in minutes if anyone spent even five seconds' worth of effort in the last 30 days.

But no one did, and when his computer died, he lost a month of research data. He's trying to blame it on us and make us pay for the recovery, despite all responsibility for monitoring being on his end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Re: Booze chat- 1792 is excellent.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I can't drink any rum that's not Cuban now. Havana Club 7 year all the way. Last time I came back I brought so much rum through the border that I got pulled in to Secondary screen and almost ended up on Border Security. Cost me $66 in import taxes but at $7.50 CAD equivalent per two six it was still a fuckin great deal.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
It made me so happy when the last client who had an "Oh poo poo we might have lost the SAN" moment had a full tape backup less than a day old.

Would have been better if it was a replica on spinning disk which is something we at least attempt to sell every time we sell storage. Thankfully I was able to remap the LUNs and the volume came back up but the first thing I did was check their tape backup.

Then there's the client who wanted to back up a remote site (~20 terabytes or so) over a ~20 mbps MPLS/WAN connection (they weren't too specific). At it's top speed it would have taken at least 50 days to complete the first sync if I did my math right.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'll give it a shot. The more expensive ones might be more complex, at least, right? I don't mind sweet, I drink bourbon. It's just that I don't get anything else from it.

We were talking about screen locking pranks earlier. Is there a way to make my computer's lock screen look like it's unlocked? I know I can change the background, but can I hide the ctrl-alt-del prompt? I would also have to make it look like my second monitor is unlocked, too. I wouldn't be surprised if it can't work.

The only thing I can think of is to have a hot corner to kick off the screensaver, and set the computer to lock when the screen-saver engages. Then make the screensaver a static image of your desktop. Not sure how you'd do it across multiple monitors. It's been a while since I've worked on a Windows workstation, but doesn't the screen saver only run on the primary and blank the others?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

pr0digal posted:

Then there's the client who wanted to back up a remote site (~20 terabytes or so) over a ~20 mbps MPLS/WAN connection (they weren't too specific). At it's top speed it would have taken at least 50 days to complete the first sync if I did my math right.

Why not drop the 20 TB to tape or disk and ship it? Only gotta do the first sync once.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Someone had a hoverboard in their bag, which proceeded to catch on fire while almost everyone was out to lunch.

I'm told that one of the maintenance guys met the fire department with a key to the room, and the fire department politely declined the key and proceeded to take an axe to the door and bust it down. :black101:

It then took the fire department over an hour to shut the sprinkler off in the room because they couldn't find the very obvious sprinkler shutoff right outside the loading dock.

At least 10 computers got rained on for over an hour, the water proceeded to flood the 2nd floor of the building, seeped through parts of the floor and flooded/damaged a bunch of stuff on the first floor, and ran down the stairs and would have flooded the basement if there weren't a few floor drains down there.

Management is convinced the computers will still work because "its just water"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can't stand people who can't understand that. "It's just water!" yeah, that's the loving problem. Most electronics don't do water. I've had this conversation with 3 guards at the freight yard, about bringing the patrol cart charger inside when it rains. "But it's heavy! And it's just water!" :argh:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Maniaman posted:

When I've had people say that to me, I laugh at them. One time, I got a manager very mad at me when I asked them why they don't multitask by using a toaster in the shower. It's just water, right? :v:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Maniaman posted:

Maybe you need to have them re-watch the Louie the Lightning Bug PSAs?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm supposed to be traveling to Ithaca to see my new nephew this morning, but instead I'm working on a SYSTEM DOWN.

The client's network crew made some DNS changes last night, "but nothing that should have affected the webapp! Your program is broken!"

Well, I've confirmed with the application admin that all the services are running, no Windows Updates have been applied, and the application itself has had no changes whatsoever.

2 hours later, I've had it. "Let's remove SSL from the equation and just try logging in with HTTPS - OH LOOK THAT WORKED." :colbert:

"...Maybe we have a problem with our new certificate."

"Maybe you do. And maybe you should have mentioned your new certificate earlier."

Fortunately, We just provide support for their helpdesk software. Networking and cert management? That's their problem.

Ugh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's one nice thing about being a contract hourly employee. Nobody wants me to pull overtime because they would be paying my recruiting company extra, too.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GreenNight posted:

Why not drop the 20 TB to tape or disk and ship it? Only gotta do the first sync once.

This was my suggestion. Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway!

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can't stand people who can't understand that. "It's just water!" yeah, that's the loving problem. Most electronics don't do water. I've had this conversation with 3 guards at the freight yard, about bringing the patrol cart charger inside when it rains. "But it's heavy! And it's just water!" :argh:
[/quo

[quote="Arsten" post="461434694"]
When I've had people say that to me, I laugh at them. One time, I got a manager very mad at me when I asked them why they don't multitask by using a toaster in the shower. It's just water, right? :v:

They could just be thinking "Water is H20 right? What's wrong with that?" Oh, all the dissolved salts, minerals, metals, etc., of course.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Lightning Jim posted:

They could just be thinking "Water is H20 right? What's wrong with that?" Oh, all the dissolved salts, minerals, metals, etc., of course.

That's not what they're thinking.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lightning Jim posted:

I don't think that spraying your computer down with distilled water is going to go much better.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't think that spraying your computer down with distilled water is going to go much better.

Why not? It's just water.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Maniaman posted:

If it's just water, you won't mind putting your phone in this glass of water for 20 minutes then, right?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If it's just water, you won't mind putting your phone in this glass of water for 20 minutes then, right?

My phone is iOS 7 :smug:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Pure h2o is pretty much nonconductive. It's the impurities that make water both dangerous and useful.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Re: Boozechat

I actually prefer wine and beer to liquor. There's nothing like a chianti from a freshly opened bottle.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

skooma512 posted:

Re: Boozechat

I actually prefer wine and beer to liquor. There's nothing like a chianti from a freshly opened bottle.

But none of that old stuff. I want something fresh. I want some made this year wine!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

But none of that old stuff. I want something fresh. I want some made this year wine!

Can I interest you in some toilet wine I made with oranges and grapes after my last cocaine bust? Fresh vintage. Hints of IT worker despair and leather.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

larchesdanrew posted:

And it better have a little paper umbrella with it!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Maniaman posted:

I've been in places where sprinkler systems went off one more than one occasion, and whatever black liquid came out of those pipes was more than "just water."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Pure h2o is pretty much nonconductive. It's the impurities that make water both dangerous and useful.

What do you know. Learn something new every day - off to submerge my computer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wouldn't all of those electronic parts and rocks in there create impurities?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure that's actually oil, not water.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've built distilled water cooling rigs, they are very touchy (to say the least) about any form of contaminant. Mineral oil is a lot less insanely delicate to work with.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What do you know. Learn something new every day - off to submerge my computer.

Unless you're building it in a clean room it will almost instantly become contaminated with all sorts of garbage and promptly fry your computer.

Please record it and post it on youtube.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Won't the various components electrolyze and create their own crud even in the purest of water environments?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think they apply a thin coat of spray on waterproofing when doing those sort of builds.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

topenga posted:

I treat them like stocking stuffers now. That and memory cards for cameras. Crazy poo poo, yeah?

When Gateway went out of business in town, I bought a Creative 128MB mp3 player that slid out as a stick. For quite a bit of money (no idea how much. Too long ago) for what it was. 128MB.

Edit: HOLY poo poo!
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-NOMAD-MuVo-Player/dp/B00006JHWQ
The MuVo was loving amazing. I finally had to give mine up because managing its tiny space was getting increasingly cumbersome over USB 1.0

I wish Creative would do an update.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Varkk posted:

I think they apply a thin coat of spray on waterproofing when doing those sort of builds.

They do. Its just a layer of clearcoat, but its enough to protect everything.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yeah. You have to be very careful with its application and not miss any spots too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah. You have to be very careful with its application and not miss any spots too.

The pcb itself already has a coating to seal it, you just need to make sure you coat any exposed metal contacts(don't swap CPUs or RAM without resealing them)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Or you could just, you know, not do any of that like a normal person.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gilok posted:

Or you could just, you know, not do any of that like a normal person.

Look, when I take chicks to my bedroom I want them to ask questions about my rig

the more the better. duh doi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

The MuVo was loving amazing. I finally had to give mine up because managing its tiny space was getting increasingly cumbersome over USB 1.0

I wish Creative would do an update.

The only problem I had at the time was that their idea of a playlist was the order in which you put the files on the drive. Great for the gym, though.

• Locked thread