Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Ok I just looked it up again to remind myself of it. I can understand liking the look and it at least looks like it could be put on by Geralt himself (unlike some armor in the game).

I know there's always been some "lol fat Geralt" commentary with Griffon but it's a pretty good armor look to me. Grandmaster looks amazing.

But hey I guess this is all personal preference. Still would love to know what the damned flaps are for. :(

Complaints about armor making you look fat are just a perfect way to tell the idiots. Having space between inside and out is the core function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There were some fists fights I wish I could've just ended with my sword cause like bitch you come at a Witcher and I'm forced to use my fists against you instead of just slicing you up?? This is hosed up

There are good fists fights though, like whenever you fight anyone from Skellige (like when you wash up on shore of Skellige for the first time)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

John Charity Spring posted:

They let you draw more cards.
Oh. So they don't let you place more cards from your hand - they allow you to draw two more cards [i]into[/] your hand? That's not at all how I read it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I don't understand why they would wear the Wolf armor open.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I know it's silly to complain about the card game but I think the mysterious elf card is just bad design. If anyone has it then they effectively are playing with 11 cards and not 10, and they get to spend a turn getting the extra card to draw you out. This seems to have been toned back since then but when I played on PS4 it seemed like half the motherfuckers in the world who played Gwent were sauntering around with the card once you got to novigrad or so. Seems to be less common now at least.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In a sense Mysterious Elf is weaker than the other spies, because you can can use the other spies repeatedly using decoys, medics and the third Nilfgaard leader ability (which lets you draw non-special cards from the opponents graveyard, including the regular spies you've played).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's more powerful than normal spies for exactly all those reasons, except the emhyr ability. There is no way for the other player to use it against you, and besides that ability, if you are ever playing a spy more than once it means the other player used it back on you.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Digirat posted:

if you are ever playing a spy more than once it means the other player used it back on you.

Sure, but this generally works in the favor of the person with the stronger deck (i.e. basically always Geralt from a certain point).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If there are no spies to decoy my favorite backup use of a decoy is to play that melee card that scorches the other side's melee cards, then swap it out and use it again. Oh did I just smash all your stuff? I'm sorry I didn't know it was yours

I will get really mad about that card as soon as other people start using it because I somehow ended up with 5 blue stripes commandos and my "strategy" is to use them

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay how do you hurt Debt Laugh 2.0?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 26, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Spies also stall a turn, which is really important. The basic overall goals of Gwent are to beat the enemy in score and run them out of cards. If you draw a spy or two you can play those, draw some extra cards, and force your opponent to play strength cards.

If you have a high spy count deck like Nilfgaard or Northern Realms, often you just play all your spies and decoys the first turn, then forfeit it. For the second and third rounds you'll have an enormous card advantage and should steamroll your opponent.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arglebargle III posted:

By hitting him with your sword.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

That the final fight with him? Cause he has a few phases. First phase is obviously pretty standard. The second phase is literally just "git gud" to be frank. You gotta be patient, and be really careful about his attacks cause they can gently caress you up. I died a few times against him before I got it down. Dodge out of the way of his impact when he slams on the ground then go ham on him til he goes back into the air. I have no idea how to avoid the bats to be honest. If you're talking about his third phase, kill the... things... around the arena. The like... puss balls or whatever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Main issue is I can't get away from those bats and he 2 hits me. My whole build is based on being aggressive and you can't hit him until he stops flying. Long fight=dead cat witcher. Yeah those bats take 60% of my life bar and I can't dodge them.

I can end the first part of the fight in 2 hits though...

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 26, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Damnit, I just fought in the melee tourney, won, but the game treated it as though I lost. My last pre-tourney save is hours before and I don't want to go back. What do you get for fighting the Mountain?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't try and dodge the bats, the timing is too weird. Just sprint, then dodge his divebomb and wail on him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Main issue is I can't get away from those bats and he 2 hits me. My whole build is based on being aggressive and you can't hit him until he stops flying. Long fight=dead cat witcher. Yeah those bats take 60% of my life bar and I can't dodge them.

I can end the first part of the fight in 2 hits though...

It's definitely a fight that doesn't award being aggressive. You'll need to do a lot of running and waiting for an opening.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I nearly 2 hit the second part of the fight as well. I'm just a tremendous glass cannon I guess. Yeah my issue is just I need a nearly perfect fight to survive the bats when they take most of my health bar.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 26, 2016

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Jack of Hearts posted:

Damnit, I just fought in the melee tourney, won, but the game treated it as though I lost. My last pre-tourney save is hours before and I don't want to go back. What do you get for fighting the Mountain?

You are awarded money and Geralts Sword, which is pretty good and I used it for a little before hanging it in my house. I guess that bug happened to a lot of folk. I feel pretty lucky that I got all the way through B&W with no real bugs other than a hooded woman not doing what she was supposed to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol check it out:

This is Geralt standing with a sword when the bats are happening, which is a thing that you should never do. Don't let the bats happen Geralt!

Uh oh, looks like the bats happened. Some people blame Gerald for standing with a sword near the bats when they were happening.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just bought blood and wine and going to give this a very deserved completionist run (haven't done hearts of stone yet as well, what a crime). So, is there a suggested playthrough order or something like that? Plus, are there any significant changes with the DLC in the overall gameplay? Thanks :)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Transmetropolitan posted:

just bought blood and wine and going to give this a very deserved completionist run (haven't done hearts of stone yet as well, what a crime). So, is there a suggested playthrough order or something like that? Plus, are there any significant changes with the DLC in the overall gameplay? Thanks :)

The DLCs both start off quests that point you to a notice board, so they're very unobtrusive, and they have listed recommended levels. A good order I've seen is:

Base game up to point of no return -> Hearts of Stone -> Finish base game ->Blood and Wine

You can do HoS at any time you're strong enough to handle it, but BaW only really makes sense after the base game is done.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

100% nice.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Anyone else using the Auto Apply Oils mod? Somebody in here mentioned it and it sounded great, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. No mod conflicts, no problems compiling the script on launch, I just never auto oil my sword :(

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My favorite looking armors are the enhanced cat and Wolf sets. The more crap on the armor, the less I seem to like it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ursine armor has always been my favourite even though Cat makes more sense for me based on my playstyle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In a couple levels I'll have to leave my chessboard panties behind and that makes me sad

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Ursine armor has always been my favourite even though Cat makes more sense for me based on my playstyle.

Grandmaster Ursine looks like it would literally kill you in Touissant/Southern France.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Rend worth picking up in a Cat build? Or do you really need to buff your Strong attacks to get the most of it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like using Rend because you often have a narrow window to do damage especially fighting monsters and bosses with some sort of gimmick.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why am I not able to hang up either the painting of Iris and Olgierd, or Starry Night on the Pontar? Van Rogh/Iris is a hell of a painter.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

RatHat posted:

Is Rend worth picking up in a Cat build? Or do you really need to buff your Strong attacks to get the most of it?

I'm doing a cat build too and rend is pretty awesome. Not only does it pack a punch even without other upgrades but it also makes your swordplay more versatile just thanks to guard breaks, staggers and timing counter slashes. Add the cat grandmaster bonus and you are already doing some big swings here and there so might as well.

http://webmshare.com/play/BXjdM

(Is this how I webm I dunno oh god)

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Just finished the base game. Beautiful game, beautiful story. I went Yen romance and Ciri becoming empress. Felt like a natural ending to me. I know the other endings involve Ciri dying or becoming a witcher, and frankly I'm not sure if I'd like that last one: too easy and straightforward for a story of this caliber, I think. I really really love the daughter/father figure relationship they let you develop between Ciri and Geralt (aided enormously I think by the impressive voice work done by Ciri's VA and the effort the animators went to in making her character model emote naturally). Absolutely superbly done storytelling and character development, which made it genuinely heart-wrenching when Geralt says goodbye to her. If she became a witcher and stayed with Geralt at Kaer Morhen, I dunno . . . that would be a nice ending obviously, but it's too 'easy,' for lack of a better word. (Then again, I'm also wondering: can't I just fast-travel to Vizima to see her whenever I want? Hell, I'll even still have the same potion buffs going since the last time I saw her :cheeky:)

I'm genuinely curious about something, though: How does Ciri get away from the White Frost world? There's the fakeout where the portal closes and you think, ok that's it, she's gone, but obviously she deals with the White Frost and escapes somehow. Is that clarified at some point, or do we just accept it as is?

Think I'll take a break now before starting the DLC. I put in about 150 hours (did tons of side-quest stuff) and I was absolutely exhausted by the end. Must be getting old or something because 10 years ago the prospect of a 100+ hour game would've had me salivating, but despite how amazing this game was, it was a real slog to keep going at the end, and I basically had to cut my losses with a lot of dangling quests and markers just to get the main story done while I still gave a drat.

On armour chat: I love the appearance of wolf except for the fact that it looks like Geralt is wearing an outer jacket that's about 2 sizes too small for him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Det_no posted:

I'm doing a cat build too and rend is pretty awesome. Not only does it pack a punch even without other upgrades but it also makes your swordplay more versatile just thanks to guard breaks, staggers and timing counter slashes. Add the cat grandmaster bonus and you are already doing some big swings here and there so might as well.

http://webmshare.com/play/BXjdM

(Is this how I webm I dunno oh god)

Cool, thanks. Should I pick it up before Whirl? Also are Crippling Strikes or Sunder Armor worthwhile?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Grandmaster Ursine looks like it would literally kill you in Touissant/Southern France.

Yeah and if it didn't you'd still smell like a hot leather sock. Still the best though, it's my villa centrepiece :allears:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

I'm genuinely curious about something, though: How does Ciri get away from the White Frost world? There's the fakeout where the portal closes and you think, ok that's it, she's gone, but obviously she deals with the White Frost and escapes somehow. Is that clarified at some point, or do we just accept it as is?

That's all there is to it, no mention or explanation at all. :effort:

Jack of Hearts posted:

Why am I not able to hang up either the painting of Iris and Olgierd, or Starry Night on the Pontar? Van Rogh/Iris is a hell of a painter.

You can't put up Iris but the other one should work.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Avalerion posted:

That's all there is to it, no mention or explanation at all. :effort:

It was a bit confusing to me at first because when you start the last part and you see everything is cold and wintery and then it becomes clear that Ciri has survived, I actually thought that meant she hadn't stopped the White Frost, instead choosing to come back and be with Geralt because they're just so drat awesome together. I thought the implication was that they were going to find some other way to defeat the White Frost that didn't involve her sacrifice, and perhaps setting up a sequel. But then it quickly became apparent that it was just plain old winter, and actually she kicked White Frost rear end and lived and now gets to be ruler? Well ok then!

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I don't mind applying oils myself but drat even after all these hours I can only tell a few of the oils and potions by sight. At the start of any fight not against a human or necrophage I spend two minutes going "uhhhh the blue one? Nope. Green? Ah." I can just imagine Geralt asking the giant venom spitting insects to just wait a minute while he rummages around in his big bag of bottles. Getting each one out and inspecting the labels one by one.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Drunk in Space posted:

If she became a witcher and stayed with Geralt at Kaer Morhen, I dunno . . . that would be a nice ending obviously, but it's too 'easy,' for lack of a better word. (Then again, I'm also wondering: can't I just fast-travel to Vizima to see her whenever I want? Hell, I'll even still have the same potion buffs going since the last time I saw her :cheeky:)[/spoiler]

It's not quite as straightforward an ending as that.

Ciri and Geralt travel together as a witcher team for a while then she strikes out on her own, solo. It's still quite bittersweet and involves a goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

All the guides to Nithral are full of bullshit. I don't know if he will keep stopping to summon dogs forever if you tarry, but there's (probably) not way to kill him before he automatically shields and summons portals at least twice.