Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone else miss the small white soapstone? I really liked how you could use it to coop in early areas of the map, fulfill your duty and unhollow, without having to commit all the way to boss. And it also meant that hosts didn't feel obligated to push all the way on through the fog gate without resting at a bonfire on behalf of the phantoms they summoned at the beginning of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I absolutely miss it. In DS3 there are some loving huge areas, and the fact that you don't get a reward or Estus refresh or repair at any point makes it really hard to leave your sign at the start of the zone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
As someone who's not very good at PvP, I don't really have a problem with any of the mechanics. I've invaded and been invaded 1v1 semi-regularly. Maxed out Aldritch and purple over the course of a couple evenings without any trouble. Didn't get many wolfbro summons which sucked. The only thing I wish they'd fix is for bluecops, maybe make it so if you got summoned as one you'd get a covenant item either for killing an invader in the host's world or just for beating the boss like sunbros just because there's such a low chance of getting regular summons and the RNG for farmed drops is a loving joke.

I just expect invasions as part of the game, and unless the invader is doing something annoying or cheap like estoc spamming I just throw a Hello and get to business. If I lose, oh well. Same when invading. If I wander into a 3v1 where the world is seeded I just do my best, get murdered horribly and move on to the next one. Yeah some people are assholes and like invading in the Settlement with muled endgame gear but if I don't want to deal with it I can not ember or summon some help. If I do get invaded and they want to play hide and seek then I'll seed because I got things to murder. I guess I don't see it as a big deal either way :shrug:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

super fart shooter posted:

Does anyone else miss the small white soapstone? I really liked how you could use it to coop in early areas of the map, fulfill your duty and unhollow, without having to commit all the way to boss. And it also meant that hosts didn't feel obligated to push all the way on through the fog gate without resting at a bonfire on behalf of the phantoms they summoned at the beginning of the map.

That was the most inexplicable decision in 3.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Pushing level 200 now, and what do you do to make the Crypt Blacksword even stronger? Powerstance it with the Bell Hammer :black101:

SMASH SMASH SMASH, it's so much fun.

You should infuse it with Dark and then buff it with Dark Weapon

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Paracelsus posted:

That was the most inexplicable decision in 3.

It's quite explainable, like a lot of DS3's problems: It's based off of DS1 which did not have code for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Octo1 posted:

You should infuse it with Dark and then buff it with Dark Weapon

Yeah I thought I was posting in the DS2 thread. That is exactly what I'm doing. An L2 does like 1500 damage. There's not much like it in DS3 although landing the weapon art for the DSGA feels pretty drat good too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I loved the small white soapstone and was really disappointed that it isn't in DS3.

Sometimes I would even use it as a sunbro because the reward that you got was actually very useful. Trading it to the crow sometimes you'd just get another channeler's trident or something but it would often give you titanite chunks and sometimes even a titanite slab.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Regarding invasions, the lack of a bluecop invasion mechanic is inexplicable. Both of the previous games had such a thing, so I guess the devs just ran out of time to implement a sin mechanic. It wouldn't even be hard, you'd just need to check to see if someone has tongues or shackles in their inventory. That's it. Or you could make it so that people equipped as Rosaria's, Aldrich Faithful, or Mound-Makers are always eligible for bluecop invaders (not Watchdogs though, those guys are cool).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I would be very very surprised if a Blue Eye Orb wasn't included in the DLC

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I would be very very surprised if a Blue Eye Orb wasn't included in the DLC

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if it is. New multiplayer items haven't been added to any of the previous games after the fact. I'd be more inclined to think a dragon covenant is going to be added since just about everything associated with one is already in the game except for the covenant itself.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Or just do the DS2 thing and have it give significant regeneration.

Way less odious than DS1 insta-backstab crap.

I actually liked lifegems in dark souls 2, it was easy enough to pop one off between mobs of enemies but you couldnt spam it in the middle of a fight and tank hits.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DS2 mechanics were like 100 steps ahead of DS1 mechanics and then the DS3 devs were like "nah we don't need any of this DS2 crap, let's just start with DS1 and then remove blue cop orbs and disable poise"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

RyokoTK posted:

Re: the Invasion talk. I'm not entirely sure that From actually is happy about invasions. They probably feel like they have to keep them in (since you can't really go back on a feature like that), but here's the thing. Invasions as a mechanic are almost entirely fueled by spite....

eta: I think the paradigm that From wanted for invasions was the idea of a lone guy slogging his way through a level, and then an invader coming in and fighting them, and that paradigm only really works if both players are at a similar level of gear and skill. This probably worked back when Demon's Souls was a super niche game, but it sure isn't going to work now that there's such a large audience, so of course this isn't really the case. Invaders are naturally compelled to be as geared/twinked as possible and get plenty of PvP practice, whereas the game host is not compelled to play the same game, so in an even world where every invasion was 1v1 the win/loss ratio would be horribly skewed to invaders.

Miyazaki talked about this in an interview, it was inspired by an experience he had where people were helping push each others' cars up a snowy hill or something, I don't remember the details but the idea is that if you step out of your closed and predictable singleplayer world you're exposed to both the cruelty and the kindness of strangers, and you can't have one without the other. It was never meant as a fair-fight versus mode, and has never worked as one, so I guess it strikes me as weird to think that was ever the plan when they took so many specific measures against it working that way.

QuarkJets posted:

Regarding invasions, the lack of a bluecop invasion mechanic is inexplicable. Both of the previous games had such a thing, so I guess the devs just ran out of time to implement a sin mechanic. It wouldn't even be hard, you'd just need to check to see if someone has tongues or shackles in their inventory. That's it. Or you could make it so that people equipped as Rosaria's, Aldrich Faithful, or Mound-Makers are always eligible for bluecop invaders (not Watchdogs though, those guys are cool).

They changed it from punishing invasions to intervening against them. The old way doesn't help the victim at all really

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

QuarkJets posted:

Regarding invasions, the lack of a bluecop invasion mechanic is inexplicable.

Again, it is easily explained, and once again the answer is: It's based off of DS1.

The devs are not complete idiots. They probably figured out that most reds are ineligible for counter-invasion because they killed the boss.

You have to realize that, in the end, a blue spirit in DS1 was nothing more than a slightly edited red spirit internally. Hell, that's how purple spirits work. In DS3, a bluecop is a slightly edited white phantom where the game runs a constant check if reds are present and kicks you out if there isn't.

Whoever is behind how invasions work in DS3 simply did not want to do the radical departure from DS1 invasion mechanics that would be required to make a bluecop counter--invader function. That is the final answer.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

swamp waste posted:

They changed it from punishing invasions to intervening against them. The old way doesn't help the victim at all really

DS2 had both though. I always thought of blue orbs were intended for the ~considerate invader~ who didn't want to gently caress up some poor, reluctant single player's game, but still wanted to invade people who were looking for pvp or who had it coming.

And the blue auto summons were way better in DS2 anyway, because they didn't interact with enemy mobs, only invaders. Which made them better at saving hosts, because they could 1v1 an invader while the host deals with the mobs. In DS3 being a blue cop is just like being a regular white phantom, except you get auto summoned.

I don't know why they threw out all the good blue covenant ideas, it's so lame now. I don't even bother equipping my blue covenant anymore, most of the time I seem to get called into 3v1 fights where my help is barely needed, or I get called in against a red who runs away forever and makes the invasion last for 10 minutes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In DS3 being a blue cop is just like being a regular white phantom, except you get auto summoned.

That is because you literally are just a white phantom under a different name. Full stop.

In DS2 they had different internal settings for whether you were invading red, invading blue, summoned red, summoned blue, shade, full phantom, ad nauseum. There was no nonsense like reds and blues sharing the same phantom type and then having some wacko modifier after the fact.

Hell, they even had different invasion and summon settings BY COVENANT RANK. A rank 0 invading red would for example be assigned type 1600, aura rank 1 would be 1601, etc. (Not sure if those are the correct numbers but the idea holds.)

It cannot be understated how well done the work behind DS2's multiplayer was.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 25, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

edit: nm

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 25, 2016

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Obligatum VII posted:

My policy is to hold off from healing until I see the other person do it. It's not about e-bushido, it's just about making the fight not a slog. I'd prefer to die in one minute than win over the course of 20.

This guy gets it! None of the other pvp issues bother me at all really, I just want estus free duels and I'll be happy. Hoping the dlc delivers. Speaking of which, they've been pretty tight lipped about them right? Isn't the first coming out in like a month?

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 25, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The game was really built around everything but 1v1 invasions. There's no real point in not using estus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus was just watching the DS2 video and got enraged all over again at how poo poo the stats screens are.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Here we go again. Final boss of DS3 at level 1. http://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198040145109/ Come watch me suffer if you want. I should be here a couple hours unless I win.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

skasion posted:

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if it is. New multiplayer items haven't been added to any of the previous games after the fact. I'd be more inclined to think a dragon covenant is going to be added since just about everything associated with one is already in the game except for the covenant itself.

Not a souls game but the confederates weren't in bloodborne until the DLC patch, so it wouldn't be a totally new thing for from.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Digirat posted:

Not a souls game but the confederates weren't in bloodborne until the DLC patch, so it wouldn't be a totally new thing for from.

That's true, but the League doesn't make any serious changes to how multiplayer functions as far as I know. It just adds another rune and some rewards for co-op, which works the same way as it always did. It seems like adding a whole new form of invasion after launch would be harder, though maybe not.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

argondamn posted:

The game was really built around everything but 1v1 invasions. There's no real point in not using estus.

The point is that dying and running back at literally any point in the game would be faster than a sloggy-rear end fight with estus spamming.

I've found a remarkable number of people will play ball because they understand this unspoken agreement not to waste eachother's time.

Also, the most fun I've had in this game is wacky 2 Vs 2 sessions where I summoned a buddy or wore the way of blue, popped a dried finger, and proceeded to clear through the area as normal. It's entertaining chaotic. I just wish the invaders couldn't hit each other, it puts them at a real disadvantage and I want a somewhat fair chaotic melee.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

The point is that dying and running back at literally any point in the game would be faster than a sloggy-rear end fight with estus spamming.

I've found a remarkable number of people will play ball because they understand this unspoken agreement not to waste eachother's time.

Also, the most fun I've had in this game is wacky 2 Vs 2 sessions where I summoned a buddy or wore the way of blue, popped a dried finger, and proceeded to clear through the area as normal. It's entertaining chaotic. I just wish the invaders couldn't hit each other, it puts them at a real disadvantage and I want a somewhat fair chaotic melee.
Actually it depends. It might be quicker to duel it out with estus than to slog it back to the beginning of the area and kill the pansy of a host.

You should do the same thing outside the pontiff room to get a couple of aldritch pals to fight you and your partner then.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Again, it is easily explained, and once again the answer is: It's based off of DS1.

The devs are not complete idiots. They probably figured out that most reds are ineligible for counter-invasion because they killed the boss.

DS1 has blue orb invasions; Darkmoon Blade covenant in DS1 can both invade sinners and be auto-summoned to invaded hosts. So I stand by my statement: it's inexplicable that a game based on DS1 wouldn't have blue invasions.

swamp waste posted:

The old way actually did both. DS3 is the only game in the trilogy without a blue orb, and blue cops have always been able to be auto-summoned for intervention against invaders.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 26, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus ng+ Grave wardens are no joke.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

DS1 has blue orb invasions; Darkmoon Blade covenant in DS1 can both invade sinners and be auto-summoned to invaded hosts. So I stand by my statement: it's inexplicable that a game based on DS1 wouldn't have blue invasions.

The old way actually did both. DS3 is the only game in the trilogy without a blue orb, and blue cops have always been able to be auto-summoned for intervention against invaders.

DS1 didn't have autosummon to invaded hosts. The Darkmoon ring autosummoned you to Dark AL.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008
Why does my thrust damage absorption drop by 20 when I do a backstep attack with the astora great sword? Noticed it by accident in the stats screen. The drop only lasts as long as the attack does. That's not counter damage, is it? Wouldn't it apply to all damage types?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The other issue is that Darkmoon invasions can be effectively ignored by killing the boss, making one of their DS1 functions useless.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Crazygamer posted:

Why does my thrust damage absorption drop by 20 when I do a backstep attack with the astora great sword? Noticed it by accident in the stats screen. The drop only lasts as long as the attack does. That's not counter damage, is it? Wouldn't it apply to all damage types?

IIRC it's -30 and it's during every attack with every weapon I actually bothered to test. I don't know why when there's already a separate counter system and it doesn't seem to apply to anything but player absorption. Could be wrong though.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

New Concept Hole posted:

IIRC it's -30 and it's during every attack with every weapon I actually bothered to test. I don't know why when there's already a separate counter system and it doesn't seem to apply to anything but player absorption. Could be wrong though.

Thanks, kinda surprised I haven't heard of this until now. So between counter damage, Leo ring, and this, thrust weapons can really gently caress you up if timed right.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I finally defeated the Soul of Cinder at level 1. 7 hours of my life I won't get back, but which I think are well spent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I finally defeated the Soul of Cinder at level 1. 7 hours of my life I won't get back, but which I think are well spent.

Congrats, I eventually gave up on that one

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

When using Carthus Rouge, how significant is the difference in bleed buildup between hollow and refined weapons (assuming 40str/40dex/40luck and max weapon level)? Or does Luck/hollow influence the damage you do on bleed proc?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Hollow just makes youre weapons scale with luck. Luck influences bleed build up.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Jordbo posted:

When using Carthus Rouge, how significant is the difference in bleed buildup between hollow and refined weapons (assuming 40str/40dex/40luck and max weapon level)? Or does Luck/hollow influence the damage you do on bleed proc?

The infusion type effects bleed buildup, but other than for bleed infusion, it's minor (Hollow Infusion is only one over the standard along with poison, for example, while the non-scaling infusions are 1 under standard). The reason you use hollow is because luck modifies the bleed proc (Plus the infusion gives free luck anyway), so you might as well scale with it. With the 40/40/40 stat spread you mentioned, Hollow is usually the best infusion, with refined trailing somewhat behind, and since you can just dump the str/dex in most cases, hollow usually ends up better with a bleed build.

Translation: Surprisingly for being an apparent dumpstat, luck is actually insanely good if you have the gear to use it. The real limitation is that that basically consists of Anri's sword, and anything you can infuse with hollow (and Man-grub staff if you're crazy), which isn't a huge amount of variety.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 26, 2016

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Jordbo posted:

Here's what I've found out about Carthus Rouge build up: with my +10 Hollow Warden's twin blades it takes 6 DOUBLE swings to proc bleed at 50 luck. With the Carthus Rouge it takes 2 DOUBLE swings to proc bleed. The bleed build up is enhanced incredibly. Hollow weapons only add +5 luck to your stats if you have them equipped on you, it doesn't do that much to your bleed capabilities on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Oh, okay. Maybe I'm slow, but... what's the point of leveling luck if the raw damage output is the same, and the bleed buildup is mostly from the Carthus Rouge? Like, if you're using a bleed weapon buffed with Carthus Rouge... how many hits does it take to proc bleed if you have 40 Luck and hollow infusion, and how many hits does it take if you have 10 Luck and refined? Is the difference significant?

I could just try it out for myself, I'm just asking in case any of you have tried it!