Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

2house2fly posted:

Novac wasn't based on anything, iirc. There are dinosaurs out there though...

Yeah the FO wikia page says the same. Apparently the largest thermometer thing is also taken from a town in California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So... I got bored today

http://imgur.com/gallery/k0uvb/new

edit: I misspelled "Whiskey". I blame my day drinking and also general illiteracy.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 26, 2016

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

edit: I misspelled "Whiskey". I blame my day drinking and also general illiteracy.

Between this and the NV talk , I'm curious to see if anyone has rebuilt Goodsprings in FO4 settlements.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

That's amazing.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

This is beautiful. You should make robots to represent the Gang. Weird little protectron with ratstick arms for Charlie, a giant yet ineffective sentrybot as Mac.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

Hope you saved some dirty bathrobes and empty milk bottles

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I kind of want to go to the Mojave and see the New Vegas locations in real life, but I'm put off by one goon who did it and In Goodsprings they could tell instantly why he was there

Do this.

Well perhaps skip the Goodsprings part, but definitely check out the Mojave. Valley of Fire State Park (not in game) and Red Rock Canyon were two areas I visited, with the latter being the home base of the Khans. And of course the dam. You can see much without imposing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really want a mod that uses the contraptions DLC to let you build cool refineries for resources and stuff, building an actual ammo factory which runs off some kind of ore or something you can get your settlers to mine would be cool.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Back Hack posted:

The new contraption DLC is really starting to annoy me now that I've started to think about it; they added logic switches with the new DLC and a couple of different sorting devices for the conveyor belt, one that sorts by item and one that sorts by component, but they didn't add a sorting device that simplies alternates as items pass through it? Could of used 'it' along with the logic switches to make a programmable assemble line that distributes material evenly to several manufacturing machines :v:

It'd be a good suggestion to send to the creator of the Manufacturing Extended mod.

Deified Data posted:

Travis's schtick is that you mold him from a sadsack into a stereotypical radio personality like Three Dog, but I honestly prefer his old autistic self and go out of my way to avoid that questline.

Same here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks, folks. I spent way too long on Paddy's and ended up with not enough bottles to flesh out the bar.
I'll update it and make robot companions next.

Roadie posted:

It'd be a good suggestion to send to the creator of the Manufacturing Extended mod.

The more I think about it, the more I kinda dislike the DLC. It made a great framework for modders but it feels really half-baked.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Roadie posted:

Same here.

You can still complete the quest and use console commands to revert to his previous radio personality

code:
For PC players wishing to reset Travis' radio announcements back to normal after the quest has been completed, it can be accomplished using the following series of console commands:
ResetQuest ms14
set radiodctravisconfident to 0
I also wanted to share screenshots of my bar in Starlight Drive In - I wanted to work with the stock projector building, so I did. I clipped the cafe stalls from Better Stores and did some organizing. Looks pretty great I think!

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
All these buildings in FO4 you people are doing are great. I just do soulless, featureless boxes for my settlers. I probably have a great future in architecture.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I have made the first even FO4 build that I was happy with since the game was released.

I's stealthy/cloaky/sneaky build with max endurance and intelligence. No power armour. All armour pieces are moded for carry weight and stealth. (Survival)

Also cannibal because it's a great perk that means you never have to carry any food around ever. And after a fight you can restore your health by feasting on the losers. Note that the brotherhood of steel will attack you if you feed on one of their dead comrades after a fight. Which means you often end up eating them too.

Perks into sneaking, assassination and pistols/semi rifles/explosives

Weapons:

Silenced 10mm pistol (Delivered) for indoors sneaky stuff, raiders and other small to mid enemies
.44 for larger enemies
Silenced .50 sniper rifle for long ranges
Bottlecap mines for death claws and other really big enemies.

I took the Overseers Guardian (2 shot combat rifle) and modded it into a fully automatic (piercing) silenced Submachine gun. I use it in faster paced fights. Burst fire from the shoulder or hip full auto against multiple smaller targets.

Since the weapon already does double damage then it's a very well balanced automatic weapon when you don't put any points into the full auto perk. In contrast adding perks will make it unbalanced and just break the game.

What I really wanted was A silenced agile SMG close to say... an MP5 but the standard submachine guns in this game are all garbage that waste huge amounts of ammo for little return.

(I need to find better looking arm pieces)

I was out to collect the Endurance bobblehead. Because I play Survival I try to bring a fatman for anything larger than a mirelurk. I fired one in through the window and then went up to see the result.

The raider boss fell perfectly so his headlight made a stagelight for vaultboy.

A soldiers death for a worthy opponent... Not really. This supermutant had just defeated a sentry bot in hand to hand combat. The bot exploded like an atom bomb which crippled the mutant. All I did was sneak up and shot him in the head like Billy the kid. Even then I did it very carefully.

And the scariest looking mutant hound I've seen yet.

Now lets talk about the psychological effects of the cannibal perk. Turning enemies into food does a lot to change how the game feels. When you see a pack of ghouls and start sizing up how much health you can recover by eating them. As opposed to enemies to defeat.

I was really hungry at one point and I saw a raider up on a roof. I started considering how I could shoot him so that he would fall down to me and I could eat him. I opened fire on him but sadly he fell backward onto the roof instead of landing in my hands. I was sad at first but then I noticed that one of his arms had been shot off and it had landed on the ground so I could eat that instead.

Or when you aid a BOS patrol and after the fight decide to kill off the remaining survivors so you can eat them (no one will know)

Or when you're out in the glowing sea. Starving but you spot a lone ghoul and so you chase it down, tackle it to the ground and beat it to death just so you can eat it.

Stacking dead institute scientists in a pile "for later" so you can eat them when you need them. Separating them into "eaten" and "yet to be eaten" as you come back for more.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 26, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Is it just me or do logic gates straight up not work?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

I'm going to have to step my game up and redecorate

Edit: Mama Murphy ran the bar for about a day before complaining about needing a chair from all the jet she was taking so I built in their storeroom so she can enjoy the quiet. I don't think she can actually run stores.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Starshark posted:

I probably have a great future in brutalist architecture.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i turned the mechanist's lair into an underground hive settlement with lots of scaffolding pieces. this is completely safe. the mechanist's social anxiety notwithstanding her bunker is now home to 14 lucky(?) people who will never see the light of day. i sealed off the more objectionable entrances but you can still walk out to the brain extraction facility and look upon rows upon rows of horrific experiments. location is everything!

i wanted to decorate it more but i hit the item limit pretty much the moment i finished lighting the place

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 26, 2016

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

Nice work!

Maybe consider blowing the sign off the building to make the place more exclusive...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i turned the mechanist's lair into an underground hive settlement with lots of scaffolding pieces. this is completely safe. the mechanist's social anxiety notwithstanding her bunker is now home to 14 lucky(?) people who will never see the light of day. i sealed off the more objectionable entrances but you can still walk out to the brain extraction facility and look upon rows upon rows of horrific experiments. location is everything!

i wanted to decorate it more but i hit the item limit pretty much the moment i finished lighting the place

I cannot make heads or tails out of this place and therefore I love it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what's a good starting stat setup?

I haven't played a Bethesta Fallout in a while so I don't know what to use as my dump stat.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Want spoilers? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_perks Just read everything in the perk tree and figure out which stats you will need to access them all. Figure in a single free SPECIAL point from the book available in Shaun's room. You can also use a mod to change the amount of SPECIAL points you allocate at chargen, but that's kinda cheaty. I changed it to 40, because that's 5 in everything + 5 extra, just like previous Fallouts.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koorisch posted:

I haven't played a Bethesta Fallout in a while so I don't know what to use as my dump stat.

It's pretty hard to make a totally unworkable character. High luck and agility with pistols / rifles has been a very fun build. I also liked playing a sneaky sniper. I actively disliked my automatic weapon run, and apparently they're generally underbalanced.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Koorisch posted:

Thing is, in this particular Fallout game there are no dump stats. Though if it's your first time starting out and you don't use Vats much you can forego most of luck I suppose (but be sure to take Scrounger and/or Fortune Finder, as they make the game's economy considerably easier!)

If you set any attribute to 1, you're gonna feel it. 1 endurance makes you as flimsy as paper and enemies rip through you, plus you won't be able to sprint for poo poo. 1 perception makes your Vats aim terrible and prevents you from getting a lot of useful skills. At 1 strength you can't carry anything. At 1 charisma, prices will be way too high and you can forget about persuading people.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

The Sean posted:

Nice work!

Maybe consider blowing the sign off the building to make the place more exclusive...

Or you could replace it with one that reads "Carmines - a Place for Steaks" and then you could run a airline miles/chicken/steak scam from it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ada shatan posted:

Or you could replace it with one that reads "Carmines - a Place for Steaks" and then you could run a airline miles/chicken/steak scam from it.

great, now I want to recreate Sunny episodes in FO4. There goes this winter.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Koorisch posted:

The SPECIAL stats in this game can be increased every level. This game isn't like previous Fallouts where your stats determine your playstyle for the entire game. Instead of taking a perk at level up, you can add points to your stats.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Koorisch posted:

you want a fairly balanced build, the only starting stat allocation that can get away with leaving something at 1 is 1 int/high luck because one of the luck perks negates one of the disadvantages of having low int

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you don't care about settlements or followers at all, you can pretty easily dump CHR. The game is on rails, essentially, and no speech checks ever really matter, and the bonuses for passing them are poorly written exposition or 150 caps. Higher level CHR stuff is cool, but safely ignored in favor of just being able to kill stuff more efficiently.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

sector_corrector posted:

If you don't care about settlements or followers at all, you can pretty easily dump CHR. The game is on rails, essentially, and no speech checks ever really matter, and the bonuses for passing them are poorly written exposition or 150 caps. Higher level CHR stuff is cool, but safely ignored in favor of just being able to kill stuff more efficiently.

if you don't care about followers you probably want enough CHA for the lone wanderer perk

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

President Ark posted:

if you don't care about followers you probably want enough CHA for the lone wanderer perk

I've done it both ways, and I think it's up to the player. Not going for Lone Wanderer allows you to focus into other stuff that just makes killing faster, sort of replicating or negating the bonuses you get from it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inzombiac posted:

So... I got bored today

hxcorpse posted:

This is beautiful. You should make robots to represent the Gang. Weird little protectron with ratstick arms for Charlie, a giant yet ineffective sentrybot as Mac.

Dennis comes with an electric grip and poisonous grenade launcher for subduing his prey, Charlie is a garbage pile of scrap but he's ready to bash up a rat good, Dee has giant monster hands and some sorta wings because she's a giant bird, Mac is a beefcake with lovely melee attacks and Frank is also there.

Whoops, I uploaded Dee before I corrected her name. Oh well!
http://imgur.com/gallery/2PT7F/new

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 26, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I love you.

shloopo
Apr 11, 2016
oh man, that's amazing

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
What IS Frank? I want a Frank.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gasman posted:

What IS Frank? I want a Frank.

Barebones Robobrain torso and treads. No arms, no head.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Inzombiac posted:

Barebones Robobrain torso and treads. No arms, no head.

Thanks. Which mod do you use for multiple followers?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gasman posted:

Thanks. Which mod do you use for multiple followers?

I'm not. They are the only settlers assigned to Paddy's (Starlight) and just stand around most of the time.

Edit: But drat. Now I think I will and play The Cameraman and have the gang fight for me.

Oh poo poo, there is already a character named Cricket!

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not. They are the only settlers assigned to Paddy's (Starlight) and just stand around most of the time.

Edit: But drat. Now I think I will and play The Cameraman and have the gang fight for me.

Oh poo poo, there is already a character named Cricket!

Ah, gotcha. Missed the whole Paddy's thing there somehow.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Koorisch posted:

It depends on how you're going to be playing.

Do you like VATS a lot and want to max out your VATS potential? Will you be playing on Survival mode (the hardest difficulty level)? Would you rather focus on guns or melee weapons? Do you want to be sneaking some of the time, all of the time, or none of the time?

For almost any way of playing, you want Strength of at least 3, since that lets you get the Armorer perk, which lets you upgrade your armor. If you're using melee weapons, then eventually you'd want a strength of 10.

I usually take a Perception of 2, but that's because I don't care much about VATS. If you want to use VATS a lot, you'll want a lot more perception.

The Endurance perks all suck, and you probably don't want to take any of them, but the more Endurance you have the more health points you have.

You can probably get away with a Charisma of 1 your first playthrough. It mainly affects buying and selling prices, and speech checks. Buying and selling prices really aren't all that important, since there's nothing crucial to buy, and all the best stuff in the game you either craft yourself or find on the bodies of enemies or elsewhere in the game. Speech checks are mostly meaningless, they almost always just get you 100 extra caps. Many people want a charisma of at least 3 for Lone Wanderer, which is a really good perk if you don't bring a companion with you or if you just bring the dog with you. But you'll probably have companions with you the whole time, so won't get any use from it.

You will want an intelligence of at least 3 if you're using guns, as this allows you to modify your guns to make them much more powerful. The higher your intelligence, the faster you level up, but having an intelligence of 10 versus 1 only lets you level up 30% faster, so it's not all that important. Plus, as you level up, everything else in the game gets tougher too, so there's no huge hurry to level up.

Agility is useful for almost any way of playing, no matter what you're doing you will want a decent amount of agility. It gives you more action points and effects your ability to sneak. There are many highly useful agility perks.

I usually take a Luck of 1, but this is because I don't use VATS. The higher luck perks are very powerful in VATS, but you must have a lot of points in Luck to get these. The stat itself mainly just affects how fast your critical hit meter fills up, which only works under VATS.

To sum up, if you don't like VATS, you get to use both Luck and Perception as a dump stat. You can use Charisma as a dump stat as well for most playstyles. You probably will want to use VATS, though, as it's quite powerful and most people like it, so just give yourself a Charisma of 1 and set your other stats according to how you think you'll play.

Oh, and don't take any perks which add +10 to damage resistance, energy resistance, or radiation resistance. They all completely suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Amazing. I love that Mac is all arms and no core.

• Locked thread