Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Maoist Pussy posted:

Did you know that the state of New York is not in the EU? Millions of jobs will be lost in Manhattan alone.

Maybe a few thousand, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Moltke posted:

you're failing to understand the significance of what it means when the value of your currency suddenly drops to a 30 year low overnight. all of those "people who have lots and lots of pounds" are moving them out of the UK, and the resulting credit crunch will have a major negative impact on the british economy. hundreds of major corps are already talking about shifting their offices out of the UK resulting in the loss of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of jobs-- you can't possibly believe this is a good thing no matter your political ideology

You make it sound like the entire world economy depends on the rich playing a game of "Prisoner's Dilemma". Why would you be upset if the entire system crumbled and we started over from scratch?

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Capital is an essential part of any economic system and on the earth where we're presently standing most capital is controlled by a relatively small cadre. Had the referendum been one to strip bankers and billionaires of their fortunes at knife point you might have accomplished something.

I dont really care what happens to bog island or the eu but Boris Johnson nailed his dick to the floor and everyone is cheering it as a masterstroke and I think it's pretty funny.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Chichevache posted:

You make it sound like the entire world economy depends on the rich playing a game of "Prisoner's Dilemma". Why would you be upset if the entire system crumbled and we started over from scratch?

Why would you believe for even a second that this moves 'the system' any closer to collapsing? A smaller number of very rich foreigners are now more easily positioned to extract more from the UK. The only thing that will happen is that the average Briton will get slightly poorer relative to their international peers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

emoji posted:

Why would you believe for even a second that this moves 'the system' any closer to collapsing?

Why would you assume that I ever believed that? Am I the one making chicken little posts about the Brexit?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Why would you assume that I ever believed that? Am I the one making chicken little posts about the Brexit?

I'm just reading what I quoted in your post. The post you quoted was saying the British economy will be worse off relative to its peers, which is not a stretch. Nothing about 'the entire system crumbling' as you said. Which by the way, would not be good for anyone, especially the lower classes.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Moltke posted:

Capital is an essential part of any economic system and on the earth where we're presently standing most capital is controlled by a relatively small cadre. Had the referendum been one to strip bankers and billionaires of their fortunes at knife point you might have accomplished something.

I dont really care what happens to bog island or the eu but Boris Johnson nailed his dick to the floor and everyone is cheering it as a masterstroke and I think it's pretty funny.

lol absolutely none of the British banks are going to stop leveraging their asses up by buying up sovereign debt so they're exposed to the Eurozone Crisis even after Brexit

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

emoji posted:

I'm just reading what I quoted in your post. The post you quoted was saying the British economy will be worse off relative to its peers, which is not a stretch. Nothing about 'the entire system crumbling' as you said. Which by the way, would not be good for anyone, especially the lower classes.

When did you stop beating your wife?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Sancho posted:

I bet not a single one of those guys actually voted

my guess is that most of them arent even brits

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

cool and good posted:

If he actually had, they'd probably be much better off than they are now. The US hosed russia up in the 90s

lol

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

emoji posted:

Why would you believe for even a second that this moves 'the system' any closer to collapsing? A smaller number of very rich foreigners are now more easily positioned to extract more from the UK. The only thing that will happen is that the average Briton will get slightly poorer relative to their international peers.
I don't know about 'collapsing,' but it hardly seems like this would be a move that would strengthen high finance, given that it imposes additional hurdles for them and removes a strong free-trade element.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
D&D leaking into this thread again, almost forgot I was here to laugh at dumb english people

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
'And on the daye of our lorde
June 23rd the brave islanders of Englande
Chose to reject the hungry Islamic horde
With bravery and courage shewn
And wrought through bloodied crusader steel.
The tender virgin daughters of this noblest of electoral pwns
Will now never know what it is to feel
The hungered thrust of dusky penis twixt milky thighs
Unless they move to Rotherham or any other poverty ridden northern shithole'

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

BULBASAUR posted:

D&D leaking into this thread again, almost forgot I was here to laugh at dumb english people

http://i.imgur.com/goxswZa.mp4

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Half of the country of England voted to tank their economy for no gains

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Do you think it's possible to introduce a bill into the parliament/senate/congress of every country that reads as such:

1: Execute all liberals by any means necessary

I think it would pass, one of the few things all parties should agree on

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

No you see its because the EU wants an army and the citizens didn't elect anyone in the EU!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I for one look forward to an extended period of misery, and some really good art coming out of the UK! Look at everything Thatcherism brought us. Basically young british art would be unthinkable without it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Archer666 posted:

No you see its because the EU wants an army and the citizens didn't elect anyone in the EU!

That's hilarious because the EU already have one. It's called NATO. It's headquartered in Belgium and Turkey's even a member of it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lol at everyone who thinks that britain isn't in a whole mess of trouble

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Young Freud posted:

That's hilarious because the EU already have one. It's called NATO. It's headquartered in Belgium and Turkey's even a member of it.

no but you see jean claude van junckerdamme wants an official EU army because he tweeted about it that one time and i am scared of ideas i dont understand so brexit is good

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

henpod posted:

I'm sad and surprised this happened. As I work and live in London I have lots of friends who are immigrants both from and outside the EU. Pretty much all my fellow Brits that I know were voting to remain like myself. Bit of a shock, but I guess we are in a bubble of enlightenment here in London whilst others are more upset about immigrants and browns in the rest of the land.

One of the things that made me proud to be British was our acceptance of others but this has not proven to be the case for my countrymen. A lot of my friends (and my gf in fact) are from the EU and love this country just for that reason and now they don’t feel welcome anymore. My gf said to me today she never felt like an immigrant until this morning. It’s weird how one of the things that Britain has always been proud for has been lost for the sake of ‘taking back the country’.

Well, let’s see what happens I guess.

Wow I wonder why so many people voted leave...

As somebody who lives in London and isn't from London, the way Londoners have been talking about the rest of the country has been as embarrassing as some of the rubbish coming out of the leave side.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zzulu posted:

pride is priceless zzulu....

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

lol at everyone who thinks that britain isn't in a whole mess of trouble

most of us are american and dont really give a gently caress

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
If you're ever caught cheating on your bennies just say it was an extrapolation

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/746994066190180352

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Sancho posted:

most of us are american and dont really give a gently caress

can't blame you, i'm british and I barely care

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Something that will be interesting is to see what happens as millennials gain more power to sway elections compared to the boomers. Will there be a backlash against the old people and country folk who hosed them over?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Berious posted:

If you're ever caught cheating on your bennies just say it was an extrapolation

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/746994066190180352

So what the gently caress are they actually going to do with all that money? Tax cuts for the rich I assume?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Lol no, they will be staving off attacks from the new generations of rascals

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

So what the gently caress are they actually going to do with all that money? Tax cuts for the rich I assume?

There is no money, we got all that money back through EU funding and grants and subsidies lol.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yep, followed by benefit cuts and privatization because of "austerity".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Plugging a tiny spec in the giant chasm of our tax revenue when financial services up sticks and gently caress off to the hated continent

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

David Cameron: ultimate schemer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Something that will be interesting is to see what happens as millennials gain more power to sway elections compared to the boomers. Will there be a backlash against the old people and country folk who hosed them over?

they'll have to start actually turning up at the polls first

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Archer666 posted:

Honestly the image is basically correct.,

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Would the EU let them back out unscathed at this stage? The last thing they want is article 50 being an election issue in every UK election for the next few decades, and all the uncertainty that would bring.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
EU has every excuse to gently caress Britain's poo poo up and make an example of for those who try to follow

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know about 'collapsing,' but it hardly seems like this would be a move that would strengthen high finance, given that it imposes additional hurdles for them and removes a strong free-trade element.

That's what I'm saying. Given the choice between a strong domestic finance industry that employs millions generating huge tax revenues and a handful of Roman Abramovichs (when the large firms decide the risk is too high and take substantial business elsewhere leaving a gap), the choice seems pretty clear to me. It's not like there are other alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Would the EU let them back out unscathed at this stage? The last thing they want is article 50 being an election issue in every UK election for the next few decades, and all the uncertainty that would bring.

britain's not getting out of this without a paddling, one way or another

• Locked thread