Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Balon posted:

Took BW taxes to modern night last night, after replacing flickerwisp with vrynn wingmare and did MUCH better than usual.

Hmm might try that next week, I took out my Thoughtseizes for Aven Mindcensors last week and went 2-2 and swapped to Blade Slicer this week and ended up... 2-2. I'm going to swap those out for the new Thalia once MoonMoon hits. The one match up that felt really terrible to play against is Blue Moon, the version I played had at least 3 Anger of the Gods main, with Goblin Dank Memers to flash those back to repeatedly wipe my board. Not to mention being able to flash back Ancestral Visions even if you process it with Stranglers. Also Blood Moon shits on the BW Haters, I imagine the mono-white one would be a lot better vs that match up.

My current list. I am going to take out the 3 Ghostly Prisons, swap one for new Thalia, and maybe disenchants for the other 2 open slots. We have like 1 guy that plays Affinity in my LGS and he usually plays Standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who do we root for between Jim Davis and this 15 year old who's been to "35 countries".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Who do we root for between Jim Davis and this 15 year old who's been to "35 countries".

The 15 year old is quick to move around, unlike Jim Davis.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If he played at a reasonable speed I would root for reanimated Hitler over Jim Davies.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Zur going up uP UP?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If he played at a reasonable speed I would root for reanimated Hitler over Jim Davies.
New thread title.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Is that judge next to Joe Losset sending out SOS via his eye brows?

Edit: YEAHHHH FOG!

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 25, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thisuck posted:

Is that judge next to Joe Losset sending out SOS via his eye brows?

Edit: YEAHHHH FOG!

That Losset match is a great example of why Eye is the card that made Tron a T1 deck.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Odd thing: that reddit thread they posted about how they're changing the rules for controlling another player so you can't look at their sideboard ever has been deleted. Not sure what this means; Tabak doesn't have anything about it on his Twitter or Tumblr, so...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Count Bleck posted:

Can you post your list? I've been looking at hatebears forever and I already have the vials from Merfolk.

Deck: BW Taxes

//Lands
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Godless Shrine
2 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp

//Spells
4 Path to Exile
2 Thoughtseize
4 Æther Vial

//Creatures
4 Eldrazi Displacer
4 Leonin Arbiter
1 Reality Smasher
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Vryn Wingmare
4 Wasteland Strangler

//Sideboard
1 Spellskite
1 Pithing Needle
2 Zealous Persecution
2 Timely Reinforcements
3 Stony Silence
2 Sunlance
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Rest in Peace

Display deck statistics

Thisuck posted:

Hmm might try that next week, I took out my Thoughtseizes for Aven Mindcensors last week and went 2-2 and swapped to Blade Slicer this week and ended up... 2-2. I'm going to swap those out for the new Thalia once MoonMoon hits. The one match up that felt really terrible to play against is Blue Moon, the version I played had at least 3 Anger of the Gods main, with Goblin Dank Memers to flash those back to repeatedly wipe my board. Not to mention being able to flash back Ancestral Visions even if you process it with Stranglers. Also Blood Moon shits on the BW Haters, I imagine the mono-white one would be a lot better vs that match up.

My current list. I am going to take out the 3 Ghostly Prisons, swap one for new Thalia, and maybe disenchants for the other 2 open slots. We have like 1 guy that plays Affinity in my LGS and he usually plays Standard.

I'm not certain what I'll cut for NewThalia, but she has a place in the list. I might try a 2/2 split with Wingmare and see how it does. You'll see I have RIPs in the sideboard for the scenario you're mentioning, plus it's relevant against a lot of other decks like anything running Goyfs, Snapcasters, etc. I've been considering trying mono-white as well with the topend being Archangel of Tithes to stop aggro strategies cold. I've even been considering putting 2 Ghostly Prisons in my sideboard to stop aggro matches as well, as Chord is typically a tougher match for me and they can't go infinite (immediately for the win) with a prison on board.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I can't fathom cutting flickerwisp but who knows. Vial+wisp is an insanely versatile interaction. It's been too good to me to want to cut. I'm going to try to find room for a 1-of Mangara of Corondor because the interaction with it and displacer seems like a fun idea.

I have seen a lot of variety in the lists so a wisp-less version might work. Deck is super fun though, probably the best deck under $500 in modern right now.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I can't fathom cutting flickerwisp but who knows. Vial+wisp is an insanely versatile interaction. It's been too good to me to want to cut. I'm going to try to find room for a 1-of Mangara of Corondor because the interaction with it and displacer seems like a fun idea.

I have seen a lot of variety in the lists so a wisp-less version might work. Deck is super fun though, probably the best deck under $500 in modern right now.

I like the whisps interactions a lot too, but they're only good if you have a vial on 3 or a displacer on the field. Otherwise they're very clunky and I find a LOT more use from Wingmare, especially because your can go Thalia in to Wingmare, and because Wingmare taxes stack unlike Thalia's.

With that being said I still think it's one of the weakest cards in the list, which is why I'd consider dialing them back for NewThalia.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Minority Deport posted:

Odd thing: that reddit thread they posted about how they're changing the rules for controlling another player so you can't look at their sideboard ever has been deleted. Not sure what this means; Tabak doesn't have anything about it on his Twitter or Tumblr, so...

It probably means whoever posted it didn't have permission to and just got overzealous. Unless it was Tabak or someone? Either way, I don't remember them ever announcing major rules changes first on Reddit.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Balon posted:

I like the whisps interactions a lot too, but they're only good if you have a vial on 3 or a displacer on the field. Otherwise they're very clunky and I find a LOT more use from Wingmare, especially because your can go Thalia in to Wingmare, and because Wingmare taxes stack unlike Thalia's.

With that being said I still think it's one of the weakest cards in the list, which is why I'd consider dialing them back for NewThalia.

You mentioned your deck seeming weak in the aggro department, and Flickerwisp helps a lot in that department. Gets a blocker out of the way, and then is 3 power with evasion.

Also consider cutting a swamp for Sea Gate Wreckage if you want some late game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Infect really does promote non fun, terrible, Magic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Infect really does promote non fun, terrible, Magic.

Says the Tron player.

Also yes welcome to the modern format.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

little munchkin posted:

You mentioned your deck seeming weak in the aggro department, and Flickerwisp helps a lot in that department. Gets a blocker out of the way, and then is 3 power with evasion.

Also consider cutting a swamp for Sea Gate Wreckage if you want some late game.

After last night yes, im 100% in favor of adding a wreckage.

And again I just felt Whisp was clunky. The double white cc was aggrivating as well, as is Sculler's wheb your opener is Caves & Ghost Quarter w/o vial.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Jesus Christ, Jeskai Control is a deck.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Balon posted:

After last night yes, im 100% in favor of adding a wreckage.

And again I just felt Whisp was clunky. The double white cc was aggrivating as well, as is Sculler's wheb your opener is Caves & Ghost Quarter w/o vial.

Yeah one of my test draws was 4 Scullers, 2 Ghost Quarters, and 1 Path, I'll try the Winged Mares instead of Flickerwisps next week and up my Displacer count. What do you guys typically cast for your 2 drop? I'm leaning Sculler over Leonin Arbiter and Thalia right now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

Yeah one of my test draws was 4 Scullers, 2 Ghost Quarters, and 1 Path, I'll try the Winged Mares instead of Flickerwisps next week and up my Displacer count. What do you guys typically cast for your 2 drop? I'm leaning Sculler over Leonin Arbiter and Thalia right now.

Depends entirely on what I think my opponent is playing. Against something fast like infect, Thalia. Against greedy manabases on the play, arbiter. If I have Ghost quarters available and I'm on the play, also probably arbiter. Against midrange stuff, probably sculler.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Minority Deport posted:

Maybe they realized that if they're going to come after that rule to curb slow play - on something that is far and away a corner case that won't come up too often - maybe they should address the actual rules for slow play so that Jim Davis actually has to play more than one game.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Thisuck posted:

On the play, Arbiter. On the draw, Sculler or Thalia. On the play you want to be able to catch them with a fetch in hand they can't use, then use Thalia to snowball that lead ahead or a Sculler to pick their early plays. On the draw, unless you're against a search heavy deck, Arbiter is just for making your ghost quarters and paths that much better - you really want to either tax their next turn plays or pick out their removal/threats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Are there recordings of today's modern? Any highlight matches, particularly with unusual decks?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are there recordings of today's modern? Any highlight matches, particularly with unusual decks?

For the Jim Davis matches you can heat up some lasagna and stare at a deck of cards you shuffled and placed across the table from you

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Star Man posted:

Jesus Christ, Jeskai Control is a deck.

This bodes well for Risen Executioner!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
On the play I would cast Thalia to gently caress up their turn 2 but it really depends on hand. If you can drop arbiter on 2 and then a 1 drop plus Thalia on 3 that's great. No 1 drop for turn three though means I'm putting her out on the play turn two.

Turn two on the draw is really situation dependent though. It's tough. I'm used to mono white though

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

I'm used to mono white though

Cast Leonin den guard, equip Leonin scimitar

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

A new LGS has opened in my city and it appears a good number of locals have defected to it already. First time I think this has actually happened in my city, there's only ever been two stores in the city itself.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I witnessed the flipside happening recently where a newly opened LGS failed to take any customers from the other major one despite everybody seemingly hating playing there

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

Count Bleck posted:

:frogsiren: GET YOUR ZURS NOW!!! :frogsiren:

Good post imo.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Judge conference promo support is changing. When I saw the headline, I was worried they were going to really cut the promo support for conferences. I know that there was this concern about "promo farming" where judges who never really judged would go to the conference just to make some money. But the announcement is that we're going to get only four cards, most of them from an exemplar wave two waves back. It's less individual cards, but the value is going to be mostly the same. I definitely appreciate it more than getting the same old commander cards every time.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
topdeck become immense off a gitprobe to infect an opponent to death.

G/U infect is loving stupid and degenerate.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Dallas open fun facts.

First time the open has hit its cap. 2nd largest open ever.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

uggy posted:

On the play I would cast Thalia to gently caress up their turn 2 but it really depends on hand. If you can drop arbiter on 2 and then a 1 drop plus Thalia on 3 that's great. No 1 drop for turn three though means I'm putting her out on the play turn two.

Turn two on the draw is really situation dependent though. It's tough. I'm used to mono white though

But then you risk them just playing and popping a fetch and a 2-drop creature. I think the far safer play is to lead with the Arbiter. Additionally, your turn 3 is then open to 2-drop + shambling vent or hold up a white mana to represent a path if you haven't played a Thalia. With an arbiter on board a LOT of people will avoid playing a creature if you're holding up path mana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sheesh

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

red deck loses :(

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Standard.jaypeegee

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Eela6 posted:

red deck loses :(

the only red deck in the format at this point, I think, is the weird UR 2/1 flier deck, there might be a few of those in "other"

E: also what is sultai midrange
E2: I don't think Bant Humans and Bant Company are all that different either, so 31 tokens and 27 bant colored company decks(plus rites)

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

E: also what is sultai midrange

A rock-ish GB Advocate Languish deck splashing for Silumgar and Negate

• Locked thread