Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
To be clear I didn't recommend the no chaos invasion mod because the invasion is hard, but because with no chaos invasion, the various factions grow and engage each other in interesting ways.

The western vampires in my current empire campaign have annihilated all human factions and it's been tremendously fun fighting them back. A dwarf faction DOW on me and VC has eaten up outside its borders. Have never seen VC thrive in any campaign before. Haven't checked on the orcs yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Karl Franz's last stand in my 300ish something turn campaign. Laughed out loud when the start of the 1v1 duel with Sigvald didnt go too well.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
When does the chaos invasion trigger? Is it just random or somehow dependent on your actions?

I'd like to support my Empire bros when playing dwarves but i need all my stacks fighting greenskins or Grimgor's murdertrain will roll over all my border towns, and when Ironhide is finally pacified the Empire is mostly a smoking ruin

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Illegal Username posted:

When does the chaos invasion trigger? Is it just random or somehow dependent on your actions?

I'd like to support my Empire bros when playing dwarves but i need all my stacks fighting greenskins or Grimgor's murdertrain will roll over all my border towns, and when Ironhide is finally pacified the Empire is mostly a smoking ruin

it triggers when you get the full cutscene that pans around the map while the narrator tells you poo poo's hosed and ends on a shot of archaon's army

you could try sending a stack up to sack/raze the vampire counts towns on the border so they don't have to worry about them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

successful rebellion in their home province

I had a rebellion in Mousillon who promptly conquered the city... and razed it. When my army got there there was no sign of the rebel stack.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

That seems to be what any Vampire rebels my corruption started would do in my VC games. Like every time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Deified Data posted:

What's everyone's opinion of the Varg/Skaeling nerf mod? Does it make things too easy?

I like it. The whole "norscans/chaos are destroying the world" thing was cool the first couple times, but now I'm pretty sick of the top half of the map being ruins filled with unending stacks of the most tedious unit types in the game. And wiping them out completely could not possibly be more irritating. I think TW:Warhammer has a bit of an issue with the map getting boring late in a campaign since almost everyone has been destroyed or confederated, but with nerfed norscans you tend to have a lot more factions still intact up north which helps alleviate that problem.

Kraka Drak even survived on my last playthrough, although just barely with one city remaining, and I gave them like 60k gold to keep em afloat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Canopus250 posted:

That seems to be what any Vampire rebels my corruption started would do in my VC games. Like every time.

Rebel Chaos and Vampire Count rebels won't become new empires. Instead they just raze the city to the ground. Apparently one of the tables containing data is set to have it this way. Is there a mod out yet to fix this for the vampire counts?

Personally, I think it's a mistake for VC to be this way. Chaos is understandable since they're a bunch of edgy self destructive teenagers horde based nation. But for VC it gives other nations a potential huge advantage over a long period of time when dealing with them due to being a settlement based state instead of a horde. All you have to do is take them out once and you can forget about their territories forever.

This essentially makes it so that VC's corruption mechanics are heavily defanged when on the defensive. Part of the threat of it is that if you don't baby sit any place they taint the undead will rise up and ruin what you've built there. Except as it is they just disappear rather than resurrect a faction, leaving a ruin. Which means that all you have to do is recolonize the place and let the rest of the vampiric corruption run out since it can't actually be increased once the faction is set to conquered due to the lack of an ability for the VC rebels to take over the territory.

Defensively VC's corruption is a form of mutually assured destruction that seems like it's been nerfed to being a mutually assured annoyance. You may kill the VC nation, but those motherfuckers will come back at least once. Which forces you to take troops off the front lines in other wars. Except the AI isn't allowed to take advantage of this advantage.

quote:

Varg/Skaeling being bullshit

The easiest way to deal with this is to have an attrition specced army sail north as the Empire to sack and raze their ports. They're actually not that hard. The problem is that unlike many nations the Skaeling and Varg start with a poo poo ton of settlements and no competition except each other. So one way or another they're going to spend their entire time honing a bunch of armies designed to gently caress you over if you're not spending your time making their lives a living hell.

Hitting their ports cripples their income on any non-masochistic difficulty and forces them to spend both time, troops, and money on rebuilding. Couple that with the fact that they're often all at war with each other before Chaos shows and they'll be all kinds of hosed. As a bonus they often don't have any army nearby ready to defend it. So you can dip in and out and just hit them in succession.

It also gives you a ton of money. I got like 20K just from sacking the Skaeling's southern border ports. Which as the Empire means you're basically set to be a juggernaut.

Edit: The reason you want to hit their ports is because if you start your turn close enough to the port you can land, sack it, and then re-embark onto the water in the same turn. This makes it so you don't suffer the batshit crazy attrition many nations suffer in the frigid north.

When you want to get your troops/HP back you just sail back to Marienburg in about two turns and chill there for a bit. Alternatively you can get military access with Nordland. Doing that gives you rapid regeneration once you're allied with them.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 26, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kholek is my favorite Pokemon :allears:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The easy norscan mod would be better if it compensated by making chaos spawn with more hordes or spawn directly into the heart of the map.

Illegal Username posted:

Chaos is first announced on turn 22 which can cause the norscans to become aggressive if they can see your provinces and have a higher power rating. From then on the exact turns depend somewhat on your imperium--mostly how many provinces you own--but the latest chaos itself will spawn is turn 50. The latest the legendary lords/lord of change will spawn and begin the big event is turn 100.

Difficulty level doesn't play into their spawn time, but it does alter the number of stacks they spawn with, ranging from 2-5 for the first event and 4-7 for the legendary lord finale. As well, the number of times the wave can respawn if you don't wipe them is dependent on difficulty ranging from 0-4. If you're playing Chaos then the AI starts reacting to you on turn 30 default.

I think somebody earlier asked if it'd be possible to randomize their spawn location and the answer is yes. There's a lua script called wh_chaos_invasion.lua which controls everything about it. It's well commented and all you'd need to do is call an RNG on the part of it that controls the zone in which they spawn. You'd have to add some logic to make sure the ordering is right so you'd get real dimensions but it wouldn't be too hard. The biggest wild card would be spawning them into the ocean somewhere out of bounds, if such an area exists. Or just into deep sea attrition though it'd be easy enough to make chaos immune to that just in case.

If you want to figure out how the dimensions work/correspond the easiest way would likely be to check the other scripts used for spawning things for other factions/placing the camera. That should give you an idea of where everything is relative to co-ordinates.

Decus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 26, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've never used or seen outriders with grenade launchers used before. About to recruit my first 3 or 4. Hope they're as awesome as you'd hope.

Also, I was delighted to find that apparently the AI can global recruit while in Encampment stance at the same rate that they'd recruit while in a settlement. Middenheim's last army, on the ropes and in enemy territory, magically teleported 15~ units from their last surviving region

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Global recruitment should really lose the turn time increase, the doubled cost and lack of building and province bonuses is enough of a hindrance without making you wait 4-6 turns for a decent unit.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Global recruitment should really lose the turn time increase, the doubled cost and lack of building and province bonuses is enough of a hindrance without making you wait 4-6 turns for a decent unit.

It should scale relative to the distance you are away from the thing that can produce it imo

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Vampires in general seem to have a problem expanding outside of Sylvania. In the Greenskins game I just finished, I rolled up there fairly late. I'd razed the Border Princes and all the Empire states around the VCs were dust as well, but there they were, chilling with their Schwartzhafen bros 100 turns in having barely moved. I think Schwartz had taken the Moot and Averheim and maybe one other, but thay was the entire Vampire expansion.

The Schwartz guy even has 'ruin-dweller,' why was he not crawling all over the ruins bordering his area on every side?

Living Image fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 26, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For those using Molay's mod: what's your preferred Battle Wizard? Light mixes buffs and utility spells with some damage, Fire is all about the pain, and Celestial... I dunno what Celestial's deal is.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Newbie just chiming in here. You know that scene in the Godfather where the bartender seems all nice for a moment, then he stabs the guy in the hand while another garrots him? That's what playing the campaign feels like to me. I'm soooo poo poo. Most of the problem comes from honouring treaties. Should I be one of those types who 'joins' a defensive war and then just sits back cheering?

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
Poor Luca Brasi.

Also has anyone made an effort post about a bunch of good mods? I noticed a couple as I was reading the thread a couple of weeks ago but I can't find any of them anymore.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Should just turn slayers into the missing assassin hero for Dwarves. It's a crime we don't get a Gotrek model anyways.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There's something very fitting about a Warhammer game being full of units which don't really work for their intended purpose, or similar units in different armies having wildly different costs (one of which is far too cheap, another of which is far too expensive).

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

For you guys who went for the VC long victory did you have to eliminate them to get anything done?

Beat them to a quivering pulp, then the peace offers came. Took a while though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turns out steam tanks don't count as artillery for the purpose of sieges. Lesson learned, always bring your witchhunter. (Why aren't wizards the ones to blow up walls? Seems like something they'd be good at. And have witchhunters have 'damage buildings', they like burning poo poo.)

My new vassal hates me on account of the killing and conquering, which is no matter except that I can't force them to trade with me. Need a 'threaten' diplomatic option.

The orcs in this game got so beaten down that the Border Princes came up through Black Fire Pass and conquered Averland. Maybe I shouldn't have given the Dwarfs all that gold.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I was terrified of pissing off the savage orcs. They held like 11 settlements and crushed all the other orc factions but when I finally engaged them they only had like 2 stacks and 2 waaaaghhs.

Killing them off was super hard because I'd been fighting dwarfs and hadn't bothered with buying decent cav and was super surprised how nasty their boars were when I didn't really have any mobile counters but still kinda weird the AI hadn't built anymore armies.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Shoot savage orcs with goblins. Dead savage orcs

Also, I like how the strategic map generally looks very different from game to game. In my current Empire game I have Middenheim, Marienburg, Hochland, and Reikland - Kislev and Ostland have taken everything else north of the mountains except Sylvania. Seeing Kislev occupying Nuln is pretty weird, but the AI generally seems better at having large, consolidated enemies that are actually worth fighting against - compared to Rome 2, where you'd just roll effortlessly through 1 or 2 region civ one after the other

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 26, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Savage Orc armies generally also have a lot of boar riders (which are pretty good), so be sure to bring some anti cavalry units.

And yeah, since they have no armor or shields units like goblin archers are actually very effective against them.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Vampire Counts short victory complete at turn 124. I'll probably give them a break for now since the remainder is basically mopping up the ruined cities to occupy 20 provinces. I'd be lying if I said that would be trivial however, as I'm sandwiched between the world's 2 great superpowers with Skaeling in the north and Greenskins in the south. When I pick that save back up I'm going to start losing settlements very rapidly, I think. For you guys who went for the VC long victory did you have to eliminate them to get anything done?

Next campaign is Empire, also the last race I've yet to beat the game with. Their initial difficulty says normal but if the stories I've read are to be believed their start is arguably worse than Chaos. I've heard starting tips like go for Marienburg immediately and play nice with the neighbors. Skaeling attack is pretty much a restart, then?

My experience with VC showed that its a pretty good idea to force vassalize dwarfs to your east. They will not confederate with other dwarfs because they are a vassal and they will colonize the southeast and your capital will be safe.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How much can you trust vassals that hate you though? I have this fear that the moment I march an army off to do something my vassal is going to stab me in the back.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How much can you trust vassals that hate you though? I have this fear that the moment I march an army off to do something my vassal is going to stab me in the back.

Grind rep with them by attacking their enemies, mainly. At a certain difficulty level you might as well just raze them though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Decided to pick up my VC campaign again after all - I don't like leaving it at a short victory unless the long terms are just stupid, like for Dwarfs.

The main Dwarf faction went down very early thanks to the Greenskins (who grew on my dime), so there's no one left to confederate them. Except now I'm reaping what I've sown with the Orcs continually knocking on my back door from Zhufbar. Welcome, new neighbors. Razing it and retreating back to Drakenhof seems to be enough to keep them at bay for now.

In the north I'm mopping up all of the remaining imperial provinces by following behind the Norscans (who I'm neither at war or peace with) and settling the ruins before their former owners can. Using another faction's blind aggression to my advantage feels very sneaky and appropriate for VC.

And I just saw a Top Knotz horde enter my territory? Since when were there non-Chaos hordes? How have I never seen them before in my Dwarf or Greenskin campaigns?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

And I just saw a Top Knotz horde enter my territory? Since when were there non-Chaos hordes? How have I never seen them before in my Dwarf or Greenskin campaigns?

There's a Savage Orc horde rambling around in the northern Empire at game start. They never really take off.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Lone Badger posted:

(Why aren't wizards the ones to blow up walls? Seems like something they'd be good at. And have witchhunters have 'damage buildings', they like burning poo poo.)

witchhunters are assassins so presumably they're murdering the people manning the gatehouse and arranging for the gate to be left open

most wizards in-setting aren't great at destroying stone walls except A) extremely powerful ones that the empire isn't going to let anywhere near the front for fear of them being murdered and B) skaven wizards

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Decided to pick up my VC campaign again after all - I don't like leaving it at a short victory unless the long terms are just stupid, like for Dwarfs.

What was so bad about the dwarf long victory? I just finished one where the final chaos lord armies invaded by turn 68 once I took over the entire badlands, had a short victory by 90 and a long victory by 100 by the time my armies settled the final northern lands.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

There's a Savage Orc horde rambling around in the northern Empire at game start. They never really take off.

And they're Top Knotz savages? If so they're still in the game at turn 146.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What was so bad about the dwarf long victory? I just finished one where the final chaos lord armies invaded by turn 68 once I took over the entire badlands, had a short victory by 90 and a long victory by 100 by the time my armies settled the final northern lands.

I had completed every condition for the long victory except clear all grudges, and the only grudge I had left was to level an engineer to 15. I didn't have an engineer recruited at the time so I'd have started from nothing. It wasn't compelling enough to sit around sack-spamming a weak settlement for an hour.

In the future I'll just recruit an engineer early and be prepared, since they're actually really good heroes for my playstyle.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 26, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Nah, some other tribe. Maybe the Top Knotz broke off from the Badlands and wandered somewhere else?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That horde was apparently the last of the Top Knotz. I wonder if there's some mechanic that turns their stacks into hordes if they run out of settlements.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Deified Data posted:

That horde was apparently the last of the Top Knotz. I wonder if there's some mechanic that turns their stacks into hordes if they run out of settlements.

Can confirm this is the case. In my greenskins campaign I took out their settlements, they turned into a horde that proceeded to migrate north and loot stuff.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Im pretty sure the Savage Orcs have the Attila goth-horde mechanics where they can settle but also abandon towns and turn into hordes. I've noticed several references to this in the files but I never looked deeper.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mazz posted:

Im pretty sure the Savage Orcs have the Attila goth-horde mechanics where they can settle but also abandon towns and turn into hordes. I've noticed several references to this in the files but I never looked deeper.

If this is the case I'm really curious why normal orcs can't do this. Horde mechanics actually fit orcs and goblins to a tee but I understand that they wanted a settled faction to compete with dwarfs.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I am poor and my computer can't run this yet, and I won't have a new one for a few months. Is there a decent LPer on youtube that I can watch who doesn't gently caress up his cavalry or demolish all the buildings in his settlements and then forget to build new ones?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I had completed every condition for the long victory except clear all grudges, and the only grudge I had left was to level an engineer to 15. I didn't have an engineer recruited at the time so I'd have started from nothing. It wasn't compelling enough to sit around sack-spamming a weak settlement for an hour.

In the future I'll just recruit an engineer early and be prepared, since they're actually really good heroes for my playstyle.

I never got that grudge, guess that explains it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a reason reinforcements in this game are so moronically set up?

For example, I have 2 stacks adjacent to one another on the campaign map. A computer army with his 2 stacks attacks me. We go to the battle map and my adjacent armies are now split up and one is reinforcing the other from across the battle map.

• Locked thread