Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The funny part is that all those references will be dated by the time the movie comes out, and then the movie will be criticized for containing too many old memes or something. I feel like there should be a bullet point that adds that Spider-man should, at some point, yell "YOLO!" to the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's something I've been wondering: If Spider-Man 3 had been more popular with audiences, how long do you think they would have kept making movies with MacGuire? Would they have kept it going until Civil War came out? Would they have given us stories of thirty something Spider-Man?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

greatn posted:

Of all the characters Sony could do standalone, wouldn't Black Cat be the no brainer? Sexy femme fatale with a decent backstory of having to fight organized crime. And a cool power set that could be very cinematic, just grab someone from the final destination flicks.

Ah yes I'm sure a standalone movie about a cat themed heroine who is a reformed criminal won't be a flop at all.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

That EDM stuff pretty much did end up in ASM2 with Electro, too.

And it was one of the best parts of the movie, so I feel like folks who rag on that millennial Spider-Man email are at least a little misguided

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If the snapchat thing was a marketing suggestion that could have been great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The MSJ posted:

I hope they go with either the team that had Bullseye, Venom and Ares or the one with Red Hulk, Leader, Agent Venom and Ghost Rider.

Supposedly there was an interview with a Marvel exec back during the big reveal of Phases 2 and 3 that they did have a strong interest in doing Thunderbolts and had their eyes on Loki, Ultron, and Justin Hammer for it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Here's something I've been wondering: If Spider-Man 3 had been more popular with audiences, how long do you think they would have kept making movies with MacGuire? Would they have kept it going until Civil War came out? Would they have given us stories of thirty something Spider-Man?

Spider-Man 4 was happening and set for release in 2011 until Raimi left because the schedule was way too tight. I think Sony would have basically done an ASM style project with a recast Spider-Man and a new director afterwards, though, in response to the MCU ongoings.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cythereal posted:

Supposedly there was an interview with a Marvel exec back during the big reveal of Phases 2 and 3 that they did have a strong interest in doing Thunderbolts and had their eyes on Loki, Ultron, and Justin Hammer for it.

What a well-rounded line-up. You have the God of Mischief and the Terminator and also the guy who can go toe to toe with Starlord in a dance-off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rough Lobster posted:

Ah yes I'm sure a standalone movie about a cat themed heroine who is a reformed criminal won't be a flop at all.

You must be a Hollywood executive. "A really lovely movie having no ties to the character it spun off of that people actually care about and starring an actress comic book fans really dislike for some reason flopped! The problem was she's cat themed! Cancel all projects with cats in them!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

Wait, that email is real? It isn't a joke?

The hack revealed that the inner workings of Sony are a complete disaster. They considered suing Bill Murray because his refusal to read the scripts was prohibiting them from making Ghostbusters 3, for heaven's sake.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Timby posted:

The hack revealed that the inner workings of Sony are a complete disaster. They considered suing Bill Murray because his refusal to read the scripts was prohibiting them from making Ghostbusters 3, for heaven's sake.

And these are the people in charge of Spider Man...pull the trigger piglet

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

HIJK posted:

And these are the people in charge of Spider Man...pull the trigger piglet

Nah, not really. There was an interview recently where they're like "Marvel knows how to make money so we're letting them make the calls."

Basically, Sony actually got smart. They saw how Marvel films make money and receive good reviews from audiences and critics and turned Spidey over to them. They practically lose nothing at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, not really. There was an interview recently where they're like "Marvel knows how to make money so we're letting them make the calls."

Basically, Sony actually got smart. They saw how Marvel films make money and receive good reviews from audiences and critics and turned Spidey over to them. They practically lose nothing at all.

Well, and also that they're in big trouble financially and can't afford to be spending half a billion advertising Spiderman.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nicolas Winding Refn wants to make a Batgirl movie.

http://www.businessinsider.my/nicolas-winding-refn-wants-to-make-a-superhero-movie-2016-6/

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

greatn posted:

You must be a Hollywood executive. "A really lovely movie having no ties to the character it spun off of that people actually care about and starring an actress comic book fans really dislike for some reason flopped! The problem was she's cat themed! Cancel all projects with cats in them!"

I think, just a guess here, they were referring to the Catwoman movie.

Which is silly, of course. Elektra was also terrible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hodgepodge posted:

I think, just a guess here, they were referring to the Catwoman movie.

Which is silly, of course. Elektra was also terrible.

To be fair Ike Perlmutter brought up both those films in his leaked email about why he was ruling out female led superhero movies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd rather he get on the Incal project already. Actually imagine Watchmen as directed by Refn for a second. Everything else aside, it would have looked exactly like the comics.

Suicide Squad marketing has hit a new high/low here in Germany as they tied it in with the European Championship. Couldn't find a shot of the posters, but they look like this, and they're everywhere in Berlin.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
If there is any possibility of there being a world where Snyder, Ayer, Affleck, and loving Refn have contributed to an anthology of Batman movies, WB/DC would be suckers to not take them up and give them 100% creative control.

Seriously.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

!!!!!

This is good.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

As much as I'd love to see this, haven't most of his movies done poorly at the box office?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'd be impressed if DC would take on Refn in addition to Snyder and basically give the finger to $1 billion returns and critical adoration for the films that would undoubtedly emerge. But the buzz around Justice League sounds like they're trying to move more toward broad appeal, not the surreal abstract.

But hey, the director of Nightcrawler is following that up with Kong: Skull Island, so who knows.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Electromax posted:

But hey, the director of Nightcrawler is following that up with Kong: Skull Island, so who knows.

You're thinking of Dan Gilroy. Jordan Vogt-Roberts is directing Skull Island.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Dan actually did a pass on the Skull Island script, so you're both right. Kinda.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, Dan Gilroy is one of four screenwriters on Kong: Skull Island. He wrote The Bourne Legacy and Real Steel prior to directing Nightcrawler, so he's not exactly foreign to summer blockbusters. That said, it's not like he'd be a weirder choice than who they went with. The only previous movie of the director, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, is The Kings of Summer, an indie dramedy that nobody saw.

Anyways, I give DC a lot of credit for sticking with Snyder and recruiting David Ayers and Patty Jenkins, but Refn would be a whole nother thing. As much as I'd be entertained to see a summer blockbuster with a dialog-less five minute scene of Batgirl inverted on her grapple, flexing in her costume as she spies on her father Jim Gordon in a bondage rack, I have my doubts. Particularly when Refn's sales pitch is that even he finds the idea of giving him a franchise movie with a budget for major special effects to be hilarious.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 27, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Particularly when Refn's sales pitch is that even he finds the idea of giving him a budget for major special effects to be hilarious.

You can hear the gears turning in his head with ideas for how to use an SFX budget in the craziest way possible.

I'd really like it if they gave him a movie to do in the DCCU but I agree with Electromax that it would be extremely bold to basically say "screw the dollas" given their recent efforts to restore "trust" or w/e. Refn's Batgirl would be extremely cerebral in the best ways though.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MacheteZombie posted:

You can hear the gears turning in his head with ideas for how to use an SFX budget in the craziest way possible.

I'd really like it if they gave him a movie to do in the DCCU but I agree with Electromax that it would be extremely bold to basically say "screw the dollas" given their recent efforts to restore "trust" or w/e. Refn's Batgirl would be extremely cerebral in the best ways though.

They should just let him have that Harley Quinn movie they're talking about. They already want Batgirl in it anyway, make it a bloody two-fer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

They should just let him have that Harley Quinn movie they're talking about. They already want Batgirl in it anyway, make it a bloody two-fer.

You know how a lot of Batman fans keep clamoring for a grounded detective movie with Batman finding clues and solving some grizzly murder case? Let Refn do that, from the criminal's POV, with Batgirl and, to throw out a villain, Mad Hatter. Refn style Maniac with DC Characters.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

MacheteZombie posted:

You know how a lot of Batman fans keep clamoring for a grounded detective movie with Batman finding clues and solving some grizzly murder case? Let Refn do that, from the criminal's POV, with Batgirl and, to throw out a villain, Mad Hatter. Refn style Maniac with DC Characters.

Refn might actually be able to nail noir Gotham rather than it just being a postmodern affectation. Like, Bronson is already pretty close to a 'real-life' Joker movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Refn might actually be able to nail noir Gotham rather than it just being a postmodern affectation. Like, Bronson is already pretty close to a 'real-life' Joker movie.

:respek: Refn's aesthetic would be right at home with a noir Gotham

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't want a grounded Batman. I want to see the Giant Penny and T-Rex in his Batcave.

Refn DCU movie would be sweet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Refn would be perfect for a The Question movie. Whichever version.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/747591212173922304

Leto has grown on me

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Theory: Jared Leto's Joker is the one who rigged up the green light bulbs in Batman's nightmare in BvS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

When they first showed Leto's costume, it immediately reminded me of Grant Morrison's take on the character.

I know Leto is one of those love em or hate em people, but I'm really looking forward to another different take on the character.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Some behind the scenes stuff from the Ultimate Edition are making their way to the internet

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/747611207121571840
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/747628618839252992

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The best joker is still Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVu9MmGlD6A

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Create your own Suicide Squad skull

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This movie is going to do really well with women age 16-30 I bet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lots of Spider-Man: Homecoming set photos.

Tom Holland looking way too happy that we can see him grabbing his crotch.

"Tony told me to meet him here for donuts."

"We lost out Rihanna tie-in to Star Trek so we have to make do with his."

Friendly Neighborhood Stupid Sexy Spidey.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 29, 2016

• Locked thread