Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WHOOPS posted:

It sounds like a left wing FWD: FWD: RE: FWD:

I'm unfamiliar with the story but there are quite a lot of studies suggesting that employee morale and employee retention are extremely handy things to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stultus Maximus posted:

This betrays my lack of knowledge on how any of this works but how does an increased minimum wage affect salaried workers?

With the Obama changes coming down, everyone salaried and exempt from overtime will already be making significantly more than the hypothetical minimum wage increase. Aside from that, the minimum salary would be the same as full time minimum wage work. So salaried employees get knock on raises the same as hourly workers.

If the minimum wage gets raised to $12, everyone making less than just under $25k is getting a raise and people making $25k - $35k are also likely getting fairly significant raises. $40k - $50k probably get minor raises, and who knows above that. Largely depending on how your employer calculates their pay scale. The County I work for probably gives every single employee a raise because all the pay level steps are tied to the previous level via a fixed formula. So if the lowest paid position gets a $4 raise from Florida's $8 minimum wage to the national $12 minimum wage, everyone gets a $4 raise. So a little over $8k yearly raise.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

duz posted:

10 years without a cost of living adjustment? They're actively paying you less each year.

Yeah, burn that fucker to the ground.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

how about south carolina being right beside dc

Both built from slave labor? Seems appropriate to me.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

With the Obama changes coming down, everyone salaried and exempt from overtime will already be making significantly more than the hypothetical minimum wage increase. Aside from that, the minimum salary would be the same as full time minimum wage work. So salaried employees get knock on raises the same as hourly workers.

If the minimum wage gets raised to $12, everyone making less than just under $25k is getting a raise and people making $25k - $35k are also likely getting fairly significant raises. $40k - $50k probably get minor raises, and who knows above that. Largely depending on how your employer calculates their pay scale. The County I work for probably gives every single employee a raise because all the pay level steps are tied to the previous level via a fixed formula. So if the lowest paid position gets a $4 raise from Florida's $8 minimum wage to the national $12 minimum wage, everyone gets a $4 raise. So a little over $8k yearly raise.

What about normal people that aren't government bureaucrats whose wages aren't based on some formula? I guess we are just supposed to be happy with folks making more money just because, rather than due to an increase in education or work skill. Makes me feel good about spending all that time and money to go to college so I can help redistribute my wealth downwards lmao.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

fits my needs posted:

What about normal people that aren't government bureaucrats whose wages aren't based on some formula? I guess we are just supposed to be happy with folks making more money just because, rather than due to an increase in education or work skill. Makes me feel good about spending all that time and money to go to college so I can help redistribute my wealth downwards lmao.

Welcome to the Republican Party!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fits my needs posted:

*tries desperately to drag the other crabs back down into the bucket*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stultus Maximus posted:

This betrays my lack of knowledge on how any of this works but how does an increased minimum wage affect salaried workers?

If you're somehow salaried below $30k and work a normal work year, you'd be bumped up to about $30k

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WampaLord posted:

*tries desperately to drag the other crabs back down into the bucket*

More money = better than

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fishmech posted:

If you're somehow salaried below $30k and work a normal work year, you'd be bumped up to about $30k

Okay.
I just recalled reading about people like fast food managers who are salaried but make the equivalent of $10 an hour and wondered how the minimum wage was structured for that.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Ahh, found it! It was Graham not Gingridge, but it was health benefits for soldiers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/30/nyregion/from-senator-clinton-a-lesson-in-tactical-bipartisanship.html

quote:

Her pairing with Mr. Graham was also awkward at first. It began three years ago when Mr. Graham invited a large group of senators, including Mrs. Clinton, to join him at a news conference to demand broader health benefits for National Guard members and reservists.

"She was the only one to show up," Mr. Graham recalled. "I felt weird, and I think she did too. The history is what it is. So I felt uncomfortable. But once we got into the news conference it flowed well, and I think we complemented each other, and we chose at that moment not to let history define us."

This isn't the original peice .. the one I found then was written by one of the reporters watching the gop politician fret in his empty hall with nobody showing. But it references the event happening and thats enough time spent sifting through google for me.

Anywho, It feels really weird when someone you've been super lovely so reaches out the hand of friendship to you. There's even a religion founded on the idea that forgiveness is really powerful. But anywho while I was looking for that I found another gem. Apparently Karl Rove hated the optics of GOP senators working with Hillary Clinton so much he ordered folks to stop doing it.

And they ignored the order.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/11/take-two-hillarys-choice/305292/

quote:

Her deft touch with conservative colleagues has thus far neutralized the Republican National Committee’s strategy of getting people to put her in the same mental category as bumbling liberals like Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean. She’s no easy target. Her partnerships were deemed so successful in moderating her image that Karl Rove, according to a source close to him, sent word last year to halt Republican cooperation with her—an edict that has been ignored. As the atmosphere in Washington has deteriorated, Clinton has emerged within the Senate as the unlikeliest of figures: she, not George W. Bush, has turned out to be a uniter, not a divider.

I know Obama ran in 2008 on how nobody works together anymore an partisanship was killing everything and how only his amazing charisma could fix things ... and I know a lot of Obama supporters on this very forum swallowed his narrative with uncritical enthusiasm. But Hillary Clinton is living proof that this was a false narrative. She was already doing what Obama was claiming wasn't happening. And crowd charisma isn't the same as 1-on-1 charisma. Obama has the former while Clinton has the latter. In the senate Obama was a wallflower loner. Hillary was a networking juggernaut. And then Obama made it even harder for himself by basically declaring in his run that when elected he would make people be bipartisan. Hillary's message of "We all want to do a good job we just have different ideas of what that is but in good faith can come together and talk it out" does not define working with her as "losing" the way Obama's message did so with him. Professional jealousy towards Obama was probably also a factor as he was a newbie on the hill that got jumped over people much more senior to him while everyone acknowledges that Hillary has earned her stripes and then some.

What I'm trying to say here is that Obama's inability to work in a bipartisan way isn't because he is amazing at it but politicians on the hill are just soo fractured its impossible. He's actually kind of *bad* at it and then he made it worse for himself by claiming to be good at it. We can expect less of this poo poo under Hillary because her coworkers actually like her in a way they simply don't like Obama.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

nachos posted:

More money = better than

Still one of the best sketches they've done

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm unfamiliar with the story but there are quite a lot of studies suggesting that employee morale and employee retention are extremely handy things to have.

I linked to the Futility Article podcast that talked about it. The whole thing fell apart when he died because so much of it relied on his personality and keeping people/workers invested in it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/paulsmith/status/747124605513535488

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not sure you understand how a NICS check works. It's not a job interview, it isn't the FBI saying, "hey, we do/don't like this guy/gal", it's a specific check if you're one of the categories of prohibited possessor set out on the 4473. Being one of those things requires some kind of due process, the FBI can't just add people to the denial list for no reason (yet.)

If we have a stupid, extrajudicial list of people too dangerous to fly, and you think that's a bad thing, further curtailing the rights of people on the list is not a good thing. If someone is too dangerous to fly or own guns, based on secret criteria, shouldn't the police be able to search their house at any time without a warrant? The 4th Amendment isn't unlimited after all, it's subject to exceptions, so that should be OK, yes? Just common sense.

If you actually think an extrajudicial list of people who don't get certain rights is a good idea, that's a different conversation.

Just straight up consider "buying a gun" to be the same thing as "passing a background check"

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Just straight up consider "buying a gun" to be the same thing as "passing a background check"

What do you think a NICS check is?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mandatory lesbian posted:

how about south carolina being right beside dc

or the subtle categorization of dc as a state :ssh:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armyman25 posted:

What do you think a NICS check is?

whoops, meant security clearance

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fits my needs posted:

It's nice to be thought of as a bureaucrat when I'm not actually part of the bureaucratic part of government.

Good news to the true saviors of capitalism in the private sector though, you're getting raises too! It'll be more haphazard, but the same reasoning applies. Status and keeping employees means the company is going to have increase payroll for people making under $50k in order to stay at the same competitive level against McDonald's as they are now.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
A Fort Bend County woman shot her two adult daughters Friday - killing one of them at the scene - before she was fatally shot by a responding police officer.

quote:

Christy [the mother] wrote on Facebook about her support of the Second Amendment, including a post in March that included a pro-gun commercial. She wrote “it would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semi-automatic handguns.”

Apparently the husband was there the whole time and wasn't hurt, I'm gonna assume he wasn't the head of the family.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

A Fort Bend County woman shot her two adult daughters Friday - killing one of them at the scene - before she was fatally shot by a responding police officer.

Apparently the husband was there the whole time and wasn't hurt, I'm gonna assume he wasn't the head of the family.

Who gets the honor of taking her gun from her cold, dead fingers?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Who gets the honor of taking her gun from her cold, dead fingers?

Obama.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

fits my needs posted:

I guess we are just supposed to be happy with folks making more money just because, rather than due to an increase in education or work skill. Makes me feel good about spending all that time and money to go to college so I can help redistribute my wealth downwards lmao.

This, but unironically.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

fits my needs posted:

Being salty because you can't lord your meager table scraps over those with less doesn't make me feel real bad about your predicament, not gonna lie.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So there's a neonazi rally in Sacramento that's currently turning into a mass stabbing of antifa according to Twitter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Luigi Thirty posted:

So there's a neonazi rally in Sacramento that's currently turning into a mass stabbing of antifa according to Twitter.

Details, please.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Not too many details other than twitter reactions. This article might get updated as info comes out http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-neo-nazi-stabbed-20160626-snap-htmlstory.html

From the twitters I read though it was the nazis doing the stabbing

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't have an article or anything but it's really amazing how people are helping the flood victims. Every organization I'm with has done something. Bonus; I'm getting paid to help and didn't have to volunteer.

Donald Trump may just give us prayers and poo poo but everyone here is really doing something. It's awesome people still help out.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

In 2033 President Duckworth will take the inaugural oath... then do some fuckin' awesome scooter donuts.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://twitter.com/ABC10Frances/status/747139514246672384

:stonk: Jesus that guy getting wacked on the head

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edit: This is the car for some show named American Rebel. Dude has that militia man w/ m4 tattooed on this arm too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

squidgee posted:

how about dc being included as a state

Speaking of which, has there been anything noteworthy since they announced they were taking their budget back for themselves?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Edit: This is the car for some show named American Rebel. Dude has that militia man w/ m4 tattooed on this arm too.

How do you get so beat up when you're fighting the 1770s British while wielding an AR15? Also why do you just have a modern gun and not anything else? Like at least bring one of those tactical tomahawks so you can do some sweet Mel Gibson Patriot moves with 21st century tech.

A very irresponsible use of time travel.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7mRG88KPbA

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Necc0 posted:

or the subtle categorization of dc as a state :ssh:

dc is basically a state so im less caring about that

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
How come people always attack these white wacko groups but there's never violence against Westboro or whatever

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

This town world needs an enema. :snoop:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

cravius posted:

How come people always attack these white wacko groups but there's never violence against Westboro or whatever

They used to get attacked all the time and suing their attackers was actually their primary source of funding at one point. One of the reasons they've been dying off is because the lawsuit money hasn't been coming in anymore because they haven't been getting attacked nearly as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

cravius posted:

There's a part in the Louis Theroux documentary about Westboro where someone throws a slushee at one of their kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaGWtYjojO4

I think they get attacked like this fairly regularly, but they've always got police protection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROiQ-RA5xqI

• Locked thread