Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
So I've been letting the engineers update stew for a bit because I was 99% sure it was gonna have :frontear: level bugs. I've got a Python with 2x Burst lasers and 3x Particle accelerators. With the new NPC AI, is this no longer a good idea? I was thinking of swapping to 2x beam and keeping the 3x PA and seeing if I couldn't get them to be eventually thermal conduit'd for some hilarious oneshotting. Or are 3x Large MC just the new hotness now because consistency? Also I need cargo space now?

I saw something like this:

https://coriolis.io/outfit/python/0pktkFflidussf57l7l7l0s0s0300040405054ff504326gv62f.Iw18eQ==.CwBj5BGbouGZ6iA=?bn=Multi-Python

Passed off as a good Python fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Ciaphas posted:

Refitting the Cobra 3 sounds like a good wheeze, especially since right now it's fitted for rares trading and balls to doing that again for a while. I'm not properly infected by Space Madness yet, not exactly booking for Sag A* or anything.

As far as optional internals go, I need the advanced discovery scanner, a good fuel scoop, an SRV hangar, shields... there's something I'm missing, right, something exploration related?

Detailed surface scanner is the other thing. It makes the payouts worth 50% or more over normal or some such. Helps level up the rank faster, too?

If you are doing a bare-bones exploration run, I'd recommend something like this to take advantage of Horizons: https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/0p5taFaldd0sdf4------33v443012f2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

If you don't want to land on planets, you can save ~2M spacebux: https://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/0p0tdFaldd0sdf4------33-43012f2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

For a Sag A* journey doing planetary landings, you probably want an Asp. I really want to recommend the DBX, but you can't have a cargo bay and a lander bay at the same time while keeping shields, so it isn't really viable if you want to do ~everything~.

Also, just to disagree with Torak above me: the difference between the 4B and 4A fuel scoop is pretty huge. Once you get your total refueling time under 45-50s, it doesn't really matter since you can refuel before the drive spools back up. But on a Sag A* run, the extra seconds between those will add up to hours of time spent doing nothing other than being parked next to stars watching a bar fill up. It doesn't matter for this fit, because the Cobra's tank is so small, but on a DBX or Asp, smaller scoops waste time that could be better spent in the bubble making extra money to buy a better scoop.

If you absolutely have to get the madness on that budget, this is what I would go with: https://coriolis.io/outfit/sidewinder/0p3t3F0l3d3s3f1----2o3u2i2f.Iw14AxkA.Aw1-EA==

It'll get you to some of the local tourist spots and closer nebulas, but you can't do planetary landing stuff. Dems da breaks with that cash limit, afaik...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What's more important with a vulture fit? Shields or armor? How do I fit this thing for max RES killing. Right now I've spent enough to get A grade power core and distributor, and shields. I kept a planetary landing bay in it (probably a horrible idea).

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

What's more important with a vulture fit? Shields or armor? How do I fit this thing for max RES killing. Right now I've spent enough to get A grade power core and distributor, and shields. I kept a planetary landing bay in it (probably a horrible idea).

The vulture has stupidly good shields.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

My vulture doesn't have the jump range to leave the system without an A class FSD?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

My vulture doesn't have the jump range to leave the system without an A class FSD?

The market you are buying from probably doesn't have the right size FSD. An undersized A class will have worse range than a low class of the right size.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

FSDs are the only component which will always offer a performance bonus over the previous model.

In other words: a 4E FSD will always take you farther than a 3A and a 4B will take you farther than a 4C!

That being said, it would be classic FDev to put it up for sale in a system you couldn't get it out of...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried unlocking Marco Qwent? He is supposed to be available after the Sirius Corporation sends you an invitation and well, I'm already allied and even docked up in Sirius itself, but no invitation so far.

I'm halfway through my list of engineers I want to unlock and that guy turned out to be an annoying roadblock. Liz Ryder had her invitation visible the entire time I ran missions to get high enough standing with her faction, so I'm guessing the missing invitation for Qwent could be a bug?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Libluini posted:

Has anyone tried unlocking Marco Qwent? He is supposed to be available after the Sirius Corporation sends you an invitation and well, I'm already allied and even docked up in Sirius itself, but no invitation so far.

I'm halfway through my list of engineers I want to unlock and that guy turned out to be an annoying roadblock. Liz Ryder had her invitation visible the entire time I ran missions to get high enough standing with her faction, so I'm guessing the missing invitation for Qwent could be a bug?

I unlocked him without problem ages ago (thanks Robigo), but there seems to have been some kind of bug with with the invitations going on afterwards. IIRC there was something about fixing it in the latest patch though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rectus posted:

I unlocked him without problem ages ago (thanks Robigo), but there seems to have been some kind of bug with with the invitations going on afterwards. IIRC there was something about fixing it in the latest patch though.

Well drat, looks like I have to send Frontier a bug report and wait for support to do something/a new patch if the invitation doesn't show up.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Libluini posted:

Well drat, looks like I have to send Frontier a bug report and wait for support to do something/a new patch if the invitation doesn't show up.

No, it happened to me too. I went there every day, for about 3 days. Eventually the mission popped. It seems like it is just a rare occurance on the mission table. You can just spam log out/log in between game modes according to some brown sea reports in order for it to come up.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Fit the largest biweave shield you can along with milspec armor and as many HRPs as you can fit. The vulture doesn't lose a whole lot of speed from weight and it's biweaves regen fast.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I apologise if that has been summarized before but I heard this game has undergone a great number of changes. I have not played for about 6 months and I am wondering what the big changes are. I heard a there was a lot of controversy with cheating AI and that interdiction is different. Is there a good summary. Also I was going to ask:

1. Is there any meta for shields/amour weapons. Back when I played amour had been buffed and shields had the biweave option that worked for certain ships. Shield boosters had taken a mild nerf but were not completely wrecked. Is there anything I should know here.

2. A bit simple but is the vulture still good or have they ruined it again?

3. Same as above but with the Federal Assault Ship

4. They changed missions. In what way did they do it? I take it that they have nerfed smuggling again?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luccion posted:

No, it happened to me too. I went there every day, for about 3 days. Eventually the mission popped. It seems like it is just a rare occurance on the mission table. You can just spam log out/log in between game modes according to some brown sea reports in order for it to come up.

Thanks, I'll try that again before reporting, maybe I'm lucky and it shows up.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Are huge plasma accelerators still crap? I keep experiencing envy whenever I loose a full circle of shields to a single volley from an NPC with regular ones.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

SkySteak posted:

So I apologise if that has been summarized before but I heard this game has undergone a great number of changes. I have not played for about 6 months and I am wondering what the big changes are. I heard a there was a lot of controversy with cheating AI and that interdiction is different. Is there a good summary. Also I was going to ask:

1. Is there any meta for shields/amour weapons. Back when I played amour had been buffed and shields had the biweave option that worked for certain ships. Shield boosters had taken a mild nerf but were not completely wrecked. Is there anything I should know here.

2. A bit simple but is the vulture still good or have they ruined it again?

3. Same as above but with the Federal Assault Ship

4. They changed missions. In what way did they do it? I take it that they have nerfed smuggling again?

1. I don't think this has changed much since. Armor is good, shield cell banks are good but require an investment in heat sinks to make work seamlessly. Losing your shields is a bit more dangerous now because missiles have been overhauled to do crazy AOE damage to ship systems, especially hardpoints. A small ship can quickly cripple a big ship with its shields down by spewing lots of missiles at it.

2 + 3. Both are still awesome, were they ever not awesome? The FAS might be the deadliest ship in the game when all is said and done.

4. Lots of stuff, mostly all for the better:

- Missions where you need to go find something like a particular kind of salvage or an assassination target now have a signal source mechanic to do so. You'll have a specific location to fly around like a planet and pretty soon a blue USS spawns which will have your mission objective in it. Surface missions work similarly, except the surface nav marker will readjust its location when you get close a couple of times until it narrows down the final location of the objective. It's pretty slick solves the issue of not having a clear method of locating your objective.

- Basic mission types are mostly unchanged, but the kinds of stuff that can happen in them is greatly expanded. On an assassination mission you may have to scan a nav beacon or data points at a surface outpost to find the location of your target. Hitmen may be sent to stop you on a salvage mission. A delivery mission might give you an updated location or an accelerated time limit for a bonus reward. There's way more variety, and the missions feel more like little mini-narratives with unexpected twists instead of sterile make-work.

- I think the long-range smuggling/mission cancel exploit stuff has been nerfed, but I'm not familiar with the details. Mission payouts can scale up higher than before with higher ranked missions (no longer locked out by your pilot federation rank) and higher rep status with the faction giving it. Apparently the BGS has been tweaked so that there are faster and more extreme swings in market conditions and mission giving conditions, so allegedly there's a lot more money to be made researching systems and looking for arbitrage opportunities.

- Temper all of this knowing that it's still Frontier and it's still a procedurally generated open-world game, so mechanics-breaking bugs still happen.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ok I am now rocking this vulture and can make 3mil an hour in a RES. Pulse lasers are kind of lame feeling though. What other weapons are good to use on this?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Blind Rasputin posted:

Ok I am now rocking this vulture and can make 3mil an hour in a RES. Pulse lasers are kind of lame feeling though. What other weapons are good to use on this?

A beam and a cannon or frag is fun.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shine posted:

A beam and a cannon or frag is fun.

Also multicannon :getin:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Both accurate answers.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When do I get to pilot real ships instead of varying sizes of fighters

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Cobra is about Millennium Falcon size IIRC, and a Corvette is about the size of the Normandy. But nothing gives that 'I am flying an office block with fifty souls aboard' feeling as far as I know. Never flown anything really big though so :shrug:

Sounds like a job for the walking about expansion

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phi230 posted:

When do I get to pilot real ships instead of varying sizes of fighters
When you buy one?

Happy grinding!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, I don't know if it's the new AI or what, but there really is no option of running anymore is there? I just got interdicted in an ASP. I submitted, but Frontier happened and I spun out for what seems like an insane amount of time. Started 2 pips shields (4 eng) and lost 50% before I realized how fast they were going down.

Tried 4 pips shields for a second, then just opted for 4 engines because they were down anyway. Boosting and using chaff couldn't buy me distance and I never got another chance to chaff. I have A rated thrusters and an A rated distributor. Would have even combat logged but didn't have enough time. My combat rank is novice. I was dead sub 10 seconds while putting 100% effort into getting away. Yes, I am running smaller class shields but my god.

Do I just have to git gud or am I doomed to meltdown?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Panch posted:

Man, I don't know if it's the new AI or what, but there really is no option of running anymore is there? I just got interdicted in an ASP. I submitted, but Frontier happened and I spun out for what seems like an insane amount of time. Started 2 pips shields (4 eng) and lost 50% before I realized how fast they were going down.

Tried 4 pips shields for a second, then just opted for 4 engines because they were down anyway. Boosting and using chaff couldn't buy me distance and I never got another chance to chaff. I have A rated thrusters and an A rated distributor. Would have even combat logged but didn't have enough time. My combat rank is novice. I was dead sub 10 seconds while putting 100% effort into getting away. Yes, I am running smaller class shields but my god.

Supposedly you have to keep playing the mini
game or you spin out.

Edit: while submitting that is.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 27, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Panch posted:

Kind of git gud, but in a very unintuitive form.

It involves picking up a weapon that for the longest time was utterly pointless: mines. I'm not even kidding here. Pursuing NPCs just can't handle them. Or, rather, they either too low ranked to handle them and just explode after having hit too many, or they're ranked highly enough to deal with the actual mines, in which case they're far too busy dodging those to keep a bead on you, much less catch up to you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tippis posted:

Kind of git gud, but in a very unintuitive form.

It involves picking up a weapon that for the longest time was utterly pointless: mines. I'm not even kidding here. Pursuing NPCs just can't handle them. Or, rather, they either too low ranked to handle them and just explode after having hit too many, or they're ranked highly enough to deal with the actual mines, in which case they're far too busy dodging those to keep a bead on you, much less catch up to you.

Doesn't help - mines don't work well in an Asp. The way the hardpoints are placed, the mines hit your own ship and go splat. You have to pitch all the way down as you're firing them in order to dodge your own mines. :frontear:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Doesn't help - mines don't work well in an Asp. The way the hardpoints are placed, the mines hit your own ship and go splat. You have to pitch all the way down as you're firing them in order to dodge your own mines. :frontear:
What about the two hardpoints under the cockpit? They should be low enough for the mines to get clear of the ship.
Though the fact that this is an issue at all is indeed very much :frontear:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SpannerX posted:

Supposedly you have to keep playing the mini
game or you spin out.

Edit: while submitting that is.

So you submit, which lets you charge FSD faster, but gimps you insanely by having you spin for a ton of time.

Or take your chances with the mini game and if you lose, you're gimped again. What's the purpose of submitting now? Also the mini game is sometimes straight up impossible if your escape vector starts what seems like behind you. I'm guessing there's some underlying mechanic or pattern to it that was never explained because it's Elite:Dangerous.

And then you essentially have to exploit the AI with a niche weapon to maybe get away?

Man I know I've drive-by meltdown'd a few times in this thread but I think I'm honestly out this time. I had a dream of raising enough cash to make a super cool clipper or cutter explorer with the engineer FSD buffs and exploring distant screenshots far and wide in Imperial luxury, but gently caress all the nonsense to get there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Also multicannon :getin:

I just put two C3 multi cannons on the vulture. You just made this game stupid hilarious. Anaconda power plants melt in a single clip. Since the thrusters on the vulture can keep you inside almost any ship's turn radius you can pop just about anything without even being in the firing arc of their guns.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

The Cobra is about Millennium Falcon size IIRC, and a Corvette is about the size of the Normandy. But nothing gives that 'I am flying an office block with fifty souls aboard' feeling as far as I know. Never flown anything really big though so :shrug:

Sounds like a job for the walking about expansion

I would spend my entire waking life playing ED if I could command a battleship. Even a little destroyer or light cruiser

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I don't know how it would be possible to afford a clipper or cutter when RES farming isn't really that profitable. Unless people are actually making 3mil an hour for like a month or two at a time.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

If you're spinning out even when submitting then you didn't submit in time. You don't spin out when you submit.

If you're still spinning out when you successfully submitted then it's a bug and you need to submit a bug report.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Main Paineframe posted:

Hmm… good point. I haven't tried it on an Asp and that would be a worry.

So I suppose “git gud” = “git 'nother ship” then. :cheeky:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Panch posted:

So you submit, which lets you charge FSD faster, but gimps you insanely by having you spin for a ton of time.

Or take your chances with the mini game and if you lose, you're gimped again. What's the purpose of submitting now? Also the mini game is sometimes straight up impossible if your escape vector starts what seems like behind you. I'm guessing there's some underlying mechanic or pattern to it that was never explained because it's Elite:Dangerous.

And then you essentially have to exploit the AI with a niche weapon to maybe get away?

No I mean that while you are submitting, throttle down, and continue to keep trying to keep the cross hairs for interdiction lined up. If you don't, you could end up spinning out. I had it happen to me when the 2.1 patch dropped. So keep playing the mini game even while you a submitting.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I love that you need commodities to craft blueprints but carrying said commodities spawns Elite pirates for my 1 ton of goods that cost 76cr.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What weapons would you all consider carrying on a Viper mk III besides two C2 gimbal multicannons and two C1 fixed pulse/beam lasers? They work but they feel kinda dull.

I tried two C2 gimballed frags but it was too difficult to be effective with tehm on anything smaller than an Anaconda.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 27, 2016

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rail guns are an option.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

I love that you need commodities to craft blueprints but carrying said commodities spawns Elite pirates for my 1 ton of goods that cost 76cr.

NPCs are just as desperate as players for engineer mats.
~verisimilitude~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah like I said before hauling 200 tons of literal poo poo through thousands of ly didnt attract any pirates, the moment I got a single reward from a missions I didnt jettison out of my ship I had pirates up my rear end in just about every jump and I barely got out of one alive while using a python.

• Locked thread