Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wish we'd gotten a kit of the ones in IBO :sigh:.

The Recten and Recksnow really should've had a kit though, because they were prevalent right to the end.

You mean I can't get a model of those sweet square bots? Wtf japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Im watching Reconguista since it's on Hulu.

That was uhh, certainly a first episode i guess?

tip for watching reconguista: it's a show that expects you to pay attention, don't watch it while doing something else.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Who loves Gundams more, Monday or Setsuna?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Setsuna stayed with Gundam for like 60 years.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Setsuna stayed with Gundam for like 60 years.

And then dumped it in a field somewhere.

Setsuna is and always will be the worst robot boyfriend.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
And then turned Marina young again and married her, abandoning his old, faithful waifu to become a flowerbed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember any of this.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't remember any of this.

it only happened in the manga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's why then

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Im watching Reconguista since it's on Hulu.

That was uhh, certainly a first episode i guess?

Tip for reconguista: The people in reconguista live in the universal gas leak century and many of them do not behave in any rational way you would associate with humans. Similarly a lot of them don't seem to understand or care about the concept of death.

On my first watch I thought it was a garbage show. In retrospect it is okay, it just a very Tomino show.

In all seriousness though I enjoy it a lot more after watching Zeta again. Tomino characters do weird things, and if you can ignore that weirdness it is a decent gundam show.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Nasgate posted:

You mean I can't get a model of those sweet square bots? Wtf japan.

Be prepared for more disappointment

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

Tip for reconguista: The people in reconguista live in the universal gas leak century and many of them do not behave in any rational way you would associate with humans. Similarly a lot of them don't seem to understand or care about the concept of death.

No, they don't understand the concept of War. The Capital Army all think it's going to be jolly good fun and over by Christmas.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The people in Reconguista basically are from a place that has been peaceful for so long that you have people going "man, I bet war isn't that bad, what a bunch of pussies, we can wreck this poo poo and be done."

Which sounds ridiculous if you don't consider the fact there are people in the actual real world who think in a slightly more complex version of that way right now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The people in Reconguista basically are from a place that has been peaceful for so long that you have people going "man, I bet war isn't that bad, what a bunch of pussies, we can wreck this poo poo and be done."

Which sounds ridiculous if you don't consider the fact there are people in the actual real world who think in a slightly more complex version of that way right now.

Fairly close to home for Tomino, too. G-Reco is very pointed social commentary.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they don't understand the concept of War. The Capital Army all think it's going to be jolly good fun and over by Christmas.

Understand, Understand
Understand, Understand
Understand, Understand
The concept of War
Huh!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Very much a pre-1914 mentality.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh this is absolutely true as well, but I'm talking specifically poo poo like the finale where Klim Nick performs space 9/11 on the leader of a country and a crowded square full of civilians. I know it is supposed to be a comedy scene but a show about the dangers of treating war as a game really shouldn't end with a mass scale terrorist attack for the lols.

Don't get me wrong, I am much more mellow on the concept of g-reco, I just wanted to let the poster know what worked for me in case he had the same annoyance on his first go round.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

And then dumped it in a field somewhere.

Setsuna is and always will be the worst robot boyfriend.

That's not true, heero was by far the worst robot boyfriend. He abandoned the wing all the time and treated his suits like crap!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mika is by far the most faithful to his Gundam. Guy gave up the use of an eye and an arm for Barbatos, now they only work while he's plugged in. If that's not dedication I dunno what to tell you.

I hope S2 Mika has a cool eyepatch :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

Mika is by far the most faithful to his Gundam. Guy gave up the use of an eye and an arm for Barbatos, now they only work while he's plugged in. If that's not dedication I dunno what to tell you.

I hope S2 Mika has a cool eyepatch :allears:
And then maybe the Martians will start dropping poo poo onto the Earth too, and then we'll get an Aldnoah powered Gundam!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh, I thought IBO was only okay but don't jinx the second season like that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raxivace posted:

And then maybe the Martians will start dropping poo poo onto the Earth too, and then we'll get an Aldnoah powered Gundam!

Any time anyone complains about wasted second season potential in Gundam, I can at least believe that it won't be as disastrous as Aldnoah S2.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think I am going to start basing my entire sense of style after the fashion of Gundam, is this a wise decision?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I think I am going to start basing my entire sense of style after the fashion of Gundam, is this a wise decision?

It really depends on who you're basing it on.

(Basing your fashion sense on Harry Ord is the wisest decision)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The ZZ cast had proper 80s flair, hair and lack of sleeves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Base it on Jojo instead. Harry Ord can be an honorary jojo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'd go X-style so I can make generic 90s anime outfits REALITY.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Raxivace posted:

:(

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I base my style on Loran because it's easier to choose between pretty dresses or nothing at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsieurChoc posted:

Base it on Jojo instead. Harry Ord can be an honorary jojo.

Lets not get crazy here, you can look too good

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Go full Wing, pseudo 19th century militsry uniforms or get the gently caress out of Tallgeese.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Go full Wing, pseudo 19th century militsry uniforms or get the gently caress out of Tallgeese.

Wing's old-school as gently caress, it's more 18th than 19th even.

I feel Gundam Wing is simultaneously over- and underrated, if that makes any sense. I feel that there's a lot going on in that show that's sort of brushed under the rug when it's bashed.

My read of Wing is that it's totally intentional that our "heroes" accomplish nothing of significance throughout the entire show. War is pointless and inevitable. Being really good at war just means you experience even more of it, even though the war in question has nothing to do with you. I think all five of them at various points went into a suicidal berserker fugue where they dreamed about just dying in combat and getting it over with.

I don't think that the Gundam pilots in Wing are remotely good people or that they're heroes in any way, but they're as much victims of the war as anyone else.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The thing about Wing is that it has a lot of interesting ideas, but the plot moves so fast and there are so many things happening, it doesn't really focus in on any of them.

Like the whole conflict between mobile dolls and Treize's romantic view of war. Or the zero system being so powerful it causes hallucinations of the future. Or what Operation Meteor was even supposed to accomplish in the first place.

There is enough plot in Wing for a show three times as long. But it's all mashed together in a big mess instead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Wing's old-school as gently caress, it's more 18th than 19th even.

I feel Gundam Wing is simultaneously over- and underrated, if that makes any sense. I feel that there's a lot going on in that show that's sort of brushed under the rug when it's bashed.

My read of Wing is that it's totally intentional that our "heroes" accomplish nothing of significance throughout the entire show. War is pointless and inevitable. Being really good at war just means you experience even more of it, even though the war in question has nothing to do with you. I think all five of them at various points went into a suicidal berserker fugue where they dreamed about just dying in combat and getting it over with.

I don't think that the Gundam pilots in Wing are remotely good people or that they're heroes in any way, but they're as much victims of the war as anyone else.

Hence glory of the losers.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Begemot posted:

Or what Operation Meteor was even supposed to accomplish in the first place.

i thought the answer to this was literally "pfff i dunno, we're terrorists that didn't think that far ahead"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ninjewtsu posted:

i thought the answer to this was literally "pfff i dunno, we're terrorists that didn't think that far ahead"

Yeah. iirc, the original Operation Meteor was to drop actual meteors on the earth, the old guys talked it down to sending the Gundams just to gently caress poo poo up. No real end goal, just terrorism.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The original goal of Operation Meteor was to drop colonies on the earth, then send the Gundams to clean-up and ultimately the Barton Foundation will rule the world. It was to be under the false pretense of revenge for the original Heero Yui.

The plan was changed basically because the scientists sabotaged it with their personal pilots.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, why in gods name would you trust those sinister but goofy looking scientists that look like they are all straight out of a Mega Man game?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

they built the giant death robots that are absolutely essential to your terrorism plan (i assume they use the gundams to perform the meteor/colony drop in the original plan, since i guess the terrorists don't actually have any other armed forces)

i don't think the terrorists really had much choice, also it sounds like the terrorists were actually the insane ones while the scientists were (reasonably) sane (in comparison). maybe the terrorists were too crazy to question it and too happy about having giant death robots developed for them to care enough to question it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I would honestly wish we saw what those terrorists dressed up like. Maybe even more wilder than any Harry Ord themed fashion fever dream!