Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Old James posted:

Wow, a tax break for donating to a private school? That sounds vile. Anyone have more detail, I'm sure it is written so that the CEO can write a scholarship to fund his son's private school education and get a tax break for it while helping to defund public schools in the process.

At a guess, it's this - it looks like it's a scholarship fund for poor students to attend private schools. Now the weird bit is, I spent a bit of time trying to figure out which schools qualify, and the only thing I can find is: "A 'qualified school' is any nonpublic school that provides education to elementary and secondary students, has notified the state board of its intention to participate in the program and complies with the requirements of the program." The actual text of the bill is here (sections 55 - 61) - and I can't find any sorts of requirements for schools in there. Lots of requirements for the scholarship granting organizations. Some requirements for students. But the only thing it says about "qualified schools" is the line of text I quoted. It's kinda weird. There's also a list of schools available on the Kansas State Department of Education's website. Looks like it's mostly religious private schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Old James posted:

Wow, a tax break for donating to a private school? That sounds vile. Anyone have more detail, I'm sure it is written so that the CEO can write a scholarship to fund his son's private school education and get a tax break for it while helping to defund public schools in the process.

Bolded for emphasis. This is the whole Brownback plan from the get go. Don't let the kids go to those liberal public schools, they need a good conservative educating to make sure Republicans stay in power.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Exactly. The state isn't failing, it's all according to plan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

effectual posted:

Well, no, it is failing, because there isn't a Coservative Government in the Federal portion to keep them in position, and with their threats to defund the Judicial Branch and continue breaking their education system, they depend on having a Conservative Federal government to help keep them on course.

And it doesn't look good for a Conservative Federal government in the future either.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

effectual posted:

I used to think I was crazy for feeling this way, but as time goes on it just seems more and more likely that this is the case. If things go wrong blame the liberals, blame the media, blame ISIS, blame Ebola, blame everything but their policies. They will always have the FREEP crowd to vote Conservative no matter what. It's an us vs. them mentality and it scares the gently caress out of me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If there is another major tax short fall for June like what was seen in May (so say ~$75 million) will this all just repeat again at the end of July or what?

If so it sounds like both the KS R's and D's are scraping the bottom of the barrel of things they can cut to patch holes in the budget and things will come to a head by the end of the year almost no matter what if they don't increase tax revenues by reversing current policies. What exactly are the KS D's angle here then? Am I just underestimating how stupid they are by assuming they even have a gameplan to deal with that situation that doesn't involve more tax cuts or what?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If there is another major tax short fall for June like what was seen in May (so say ~$75 million) will this all just repeat again at the end of July or what?

If so it sounds like both the KS R's and D's are scraping the bottom of the barrel of things they can cut to patch holes in the budget and things will come to a head by the end of the year almost no matter what if they don't increase tax revenues by reversing current policies. What exactly are the KS D's angle here then? Am I just underestimating how stupid they are by assuming they even have a gameplan to deal with that situation that doesn't involve more tax cuts or what?

It's all gravy, they'll just borrow $900,000,000.00

:v:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
So they get a year (edit: as near as I can tell the Kansas PMIP fiscal year ends June 30) to hope and pray something comes along to throw billions at Kansas's economy to make everything right and then they have to pay back the loan and are then double extra super screwed is what I'm getting from that article.

quote:

The money is borrowed from the Pooled Money Investment Board, a state board that manages the state’s investments, and is then deposited into the state’s general fund. The money must be paid back by the end of the fiscal year by statute.

“Essentially borrowing from ourselves,” Sullivan said.

Senate President Susan Wagle, R-Wichita, who for several years has pressed Brownback to pursue deeper budget cuts, was the only member of the council to vote against the certificate.

“This isn’t the way I manage my finances. This isn’t the way I manage the finances of my business. … This is like me putting groceries on a charge card and praying that the money comes in,” Wagle said.

That even the idiot who thinks they should be cutting taxes more realizes this is a dumb idea is a nice piece of schadenfreude I guess.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 25, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I, too, deliberately move to lower my own income so that I can't pay off my credit card bill after going grocery shopping.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Senate President Susan Wagle, R-Wichita, who has never been hungry and prayed for money to eat with posted:

“This isn’t the way I manage my finances. This isn’t the way I manage the finances of my business. … This is like me putting groceries on a charge card and praying that the money comes in,” Wagle said.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ah, so she's one of those types. Credit is bad, borrowing is bad, pay everything in cash and if you can't well you don't need it. To the point where buying groceries with a credit card is just bad fiscal policy.

She's not asking for taxes to be cut, she's asking for spending to be cut. If you can't pay for a road up front with tax money then you just don' need it. If you can't cover the cost of the school year on the first day of class then you just can't afford it. It's a really loving dumb way of running a government, but at least it's way more reasonable than cut all the taxes and watch the money poor in.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Government spending doesn't work like a household budget or a business because unlike those examples the government can print and control its own currency. It's ridiculous how so many people do not understand bare basic economics.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

They also have a completely different mandate. People who want to run government "like a business" seem to forget that businesses go bankrupt daily and simply disappear. How would society function if the police simply stopped existing because pension payments bankrupted the department?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

punk rebel ecks posted:

Government spending doesn't work like a household budget or a business because unlike those examples the government can print and control its own currency. It's ridiculous how so many people do not understand bare basic economics.

States can't, but then again even states have billion and billions of dollars in assets which means that their budgets don't function the same way as household or regular business budgets. Also they're immortal entities whose imperative is to help the people who reside under their power succeed.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Kansas should just apply for a bunch of credit cards. Think of all the points they could get!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

There's a better chance that Kansas just descends into even poorer funding and continues the cycle as people move away.

I've been grappling with this for a while now, because aside from the politics, I genuinely love it here

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Christmas Present posted:

I've been grappling with this for a while now, because aside from the politics, I genuinely love it here

That's a real common problem in the American economic and political system overall. Like...I live in Pennsylvania. I adore the terrain and climate here. It's wonderful. Trees and hills and water and clay and life. We get four distinct seasons and most of the year isn't hot. The wilderness is fantastic and we have loads of forest land that you can't mess with unless you want to commit political suicide.

Pretty much everything else about the state is awful. We had similar problems to Kansas in that our poo poo bag Republican governor was all gung ho about fiscal responsibility, cutting spending, balancingbudgets, attracting businesses, blah blah blah. He simultaneously wanted to cut the entire state's education budget in half (all of it...not just college literally all of it), build a bunch of new prisons (think of the jobs they'll create which might be in your town if it's conservative and white enough), and give all sorts of favors to fossil fuel companies because jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs. If we cut their taxes they'll invest in drilling and revenue will go up!

Except that everybody hates them because they pillage and burn whatever they touch, don't hire locals, and gently caress up the water. Then they leave. Thankfully we voted that clown out of office but now we have a state legislature treating our D governor like Congress treats Obama complete with a deliberate Cruz style budget impasse!

All told it's partly hopeful in that these chucklefucks are losing support but terrifying in how much influence they manage to keep by screwing up the system. How do you vote people who aren't Republican into office in the face of gerrymandering? What do you do when the Republican prick trying to burn everything down loses but it does no good because his cronies just sabotage the system anyway? Then they blame the other side for not compromising.

Meanwhile the state's recovery is dismal, people are suffering needlessly, and everything gets worse every year. But I'm sure it isn't conservative policy being incredibly loving delusional.

It's incredible that they just double down on the crazy and try to pass the blame. Every time they try these things the result is a garbage fire.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's a real common problem in the American economic and political system overall. Like...I live in Pennsylvania. I adore the terrain and climate here. It's wonderful. Trees and hills and water and clay and life. We get four distinct seasons and most of the year isn't hot. The wilderness is fantastic and we have loads of forest land that you can't mess with unless you want to commit political suicide.

Pretty much everything else about the state is awful. We had similar problems to Kansas in that our poo poo bag Republican governor was all gung ho about fiscal responsibility, cutting spending, balancingbudgets, attracting businesses, blah blah blah. He simultaneously wanted to cut the entire state's education budget in half (all of it...not just college literally all of it), build a bunch of new prisons (think of the jobs they'll create which might be in your town if it's conservative and white enough), and give all sorts of favors to fossil fuel companies because jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs. If we cut their taxes they'll invest in drilling and revenue will go up!

Except that everybody hates them because they pillage and burn whatever they touch, don't hire locals, and gently caress up the water. Then they leave. Thankfully we voted that clown out of office but now we have a state legislature treating our D governor like Congress treats Obama complete with a deliberate Cruz style budget impasse!

All told it's partly hopeful in that these chucklefucks are losing support but terrifying in how much influence they manage to keep by screwing up the system. How do you vote people who aren't Republican into office in the face of gerrymandering? What do you do when the Republican prick trying to burn everything down loses but it does no good because his cronies just sabotage the system anyway? Then they blame the other side for not compromising.

Meanwhile the state's recovery is dismal, people are suffering needlessly, and everything gets worse every year. But I'm sure it isn't conservative policy being incredibly loving delusional.

It's incredible that they just double down on the crazy and try to pass the blame. Every time they try these things the result is a garbage fire.

I'm not saying we should carpet bomb everything between philly and pittsburgh but maybe it should be on the table?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Gyges posted:

States can't, but then again even states have billion and billions of dollars in assets which means that their budgets don't function the same way as household or regular business budgets. Also they're immortal entities whose imperative is to help the people who reside under their power succeed.

True, but states are merely an arm of the larger federal government.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Feinne posted:

I'm not saying we should carpet bomb everything between philly and pittsburgh but maybe it should be on the table?

You wouldn't really be able to tell a difference after the bombing happened.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Feinne posted:

Philly PD tried that once; it ended... poorly.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/jun/24/former-kansas-governors-unite-against-brownback-su/

Our last 4 governers (2 Republican, 2 Democrat) have formed a joint political action committee because they feel Brownback's tax policies are destroying everything they built.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fishmech posted:

Sure you would, there wouldn't be any orange barrels on the roads after the bombing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

fishmech posted:

Well it'd be a faster way to go than their current 'slowly die of despair as their home and way of life is choked to oblivion by the inexorable march of history' at least.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My wife is a Johnson County native and I am transplant (originally from Boston) and it is basically impossible to convince her that Kansas is going down the drain since everything still seems pretty reasonable in our little bubble. We are basically the stereotype of a lovely JoCo family (our kids are likely destined for private school and the wife has a high paying job), so she is content to stay put and play the part of Nero while the state burns around us :argh:

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My wife is a Johnson County native and I am transplant (originally from Boston) and it is basically impossible to convince her that Kansas is going down the drain since everything still seems pretty reasonable in our little bubble. We are basically the stereotype of a lovely JoCo family (our kids are likely destined for private school and the wife has a high paying job), so she is content to stay put and play the part of Nero while the state burns around us :argh:

At least you have front row seats?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

When the paychecks to the (R) legislators start bouncing, then they'll start negotiating in good faith.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

:sever:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

:madmax:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That what I was saying earlier, until these budget failures start effecting JoCo nothing will really change. I just drove past Jerry Morans district office and it took every ounce of strength that I had not to stop there and poo poo in the front lawn. I love living in Kansas, I just hate everything about living here.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SalTheBard posted:

That what I was saying earlier, until these budget failures start effecting JoCo nothing will really change. I just drove past Jerry Morans district office and it took every ounce of strength that I had not to stop there and poo poo in the front lawn. I love living in Kansas, I just hate everything about living here.

This is absolutely true. It is so frustrating that there can be a huge grass roots movement to stop a goddamn Starbucks in Prairie Village from getting a drive through window, but anything having to do with the budget crisis is just hand waved away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DeathSandwich posted:

I feel like the ultimate endpoint of this is more Mad Max than Corporate Feudalism.

Pretty good, but if you've ever driven across Kansas outside of the pipeline between KC and OKC, it's more like the Road Warrior.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
In case anyone is still keeping track, Friday they passed a bill to fix the standoff funding schools a little more. Johnson county didn't get their "hold harmless" clause in so they lose $12m in funding. This of course is jut the precursor to the court case next year that will judge if schools are actually adequately funded. That could be worth upwards of $500m a year in additional school funding, which pretty much ends the failed experiment or bankrupts the state outright.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

I agree with Fishmech. With not a hint of irony. :negative:

Seriously, gently caress Central PA.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

This is absolutely true. It is so frustrating that there can be a huge grass roots movement to stop a goddamn Starbucks in Prairie Village from getting a drive through window, but anything having to do with the budget crisis is just hand waved away.
Please tell me that the opposition was because a drive-through would attract Those People.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gail Wynand posted:

Please tell me that the opposition was because a drive-through would attract Those People.

Close

http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/controversy-brews-over-prairie-village-starbucks

quote:

PRAIRIE VILLAGE, Kan. - There's a growing controversy brewing in Prairie Village over a new Starbucks after the coffee shop announced its plan to move to a different location.

The Starbucks off Mission in the Prairie Village shops is moving across the parking lot. It may seem like a small change, but now customers are moving to boycott it.

The developer said the new one will be bigger, with a patio and a drive thru.

When Chuck Dehner learned his quaint Starbucks in the shopping center was about to expand, he said he believes it will take a little piece of the quiet community away.

"(People like to) walk, there's community and young families walking babies in strollers. Homes sell in two weeks here because people like to live like this," Dehner said.

Dehner started a boycott campaign and has begun to ask friends to join and put signs in yards in an effort to stop Starbucks from taking a little piece of the small community away.

But another resident, Mike, who just moved back from Seattle, said a more convenient Starbucks won't take any of the small community feel away.

"They're not super sizing Starbucks," Mike said.

The mayor said the new Starbucks is not going away. The planning commission did what he feels the majority of residents want.

The commission has already voted, the building is already being built and is expected to be done in the next few months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"I like to get my coffee from my quaint little franchise of a giant multinational corporation. The suggestion that I'd have to get it from a slightly larger franchise is loving madness, how DARE you suggest such a thing!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've got to be honest. I can't process that complaint or boycott effort at all. Please, someone explain to me how anyone could possibly even care, let alone believe that their home value could possibly be affected by a Starbucks with a slightly different layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I understand not wanting a drive through in a nice neighborhood. Cars are the bane of urban planning and strip malls follow in their wake, like the sea of mud churned up by a plague of cows falling from the sky.

• Locked thread