Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibrish
Oct 1, 2006
My helicopter goes soi soi soi
I haven't played in 5+ years and came back with a skill remap. Currently sitting at about 7mil sp - I'm thinking I should just train skills that I get the most SP / Hour out of until I hit a certain skill point level then remap them into something that is useful. Is this wise or should I just wait and find someone to review my current skills to see if they are worthwhile? I've had trouble finding someone wiling to do the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Reverand maynard posted:

I still think sp rewards for a questline would be amazing, especially for new players. Their method though was trivial effort and trivial reward. It could also be tied in with new opportunities. Your first fully mined asteroid gives sp, first completed mission gives sp, exploration, FW kill, etc.

I also think that after a new account has been subbed for say, three months they get a special skill extractor that when used immediately injects the sp back in as unallocated sp. The min/max of training punishes players that dabble in mining, dabble in industry while also trying to pvp. Hell, this would be a radical change but why can't new players train 1 industry skill at the same time as 1 pvp skill? Revamp civilian modules and give them good base stats but make them unaffected by skills. Civilian 150mm autocannon that is not modified by any gunnery skills but with base stats that make it the equivilant of a 150mm auto 2 used by a character with every gunnery skill to 3.

Or make the SOE epic arc give a bump to fitting skills (shortcut to CPU5/PG5 maybe, or your choice of frigate 5 and small weapon 5) rather than standings, or even just a skill injector. It's modest but not insurmountable :effort: for a genuine newbie and shortcuts them around skills that really only serve as time gates for new players (and cash grabs in terms of training time for alts).

The balance of the universe will not be shifted if Little Johnny gets into a reasonably competent T1 frigate a couple weeks sooner, but he might keep playing after his 3 week trial if he has a taste of real progression.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elsa posted:

for what, who wears a bigger bra?

And here I was worried people would think my tongue in cheek post was goony creeping instead :v:

Also my phone tried to autocorrect think to thong I'm just bringing out the worst in everything today :ohdear:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Reverand maynard posted:

I still think sp rewards for a questline would be amazing, especially for new players. Their method though was trivial effort and trivial reward. It could also be tied in with new opportunities. Your first fully mined asteroid gives sp, first completed mission gives sp, exploration, FW kill, etc.

I also think that after a new account has been subbed for say, three months they get a special skill extractor that when used immediately injects the sp back in as unallocated sp. The min/max of training punishes players that dabble in mining, dabble in industry while also trying to pvp. Hell, this would be a radical change but why can't new players train 1 industry skill at the same time as 1 pvp skill? Revamp civilian modules and give them good base stats but make them unaffected by skills. Civilian 150mm autocannon that is not modified by any gunnery skills but with base stats that make it the equivilant of a 150mm auto 2 used by a character with every gunnery skill to 3.

Morris posted:

Or make the SOE epic arc give a bump to fitting skills (shortcut to CPU5/PG5 maybe, or your choice of frigate 5 and small weapon 5) rather than standings, or even just a skill injector. It's modest but not insurmountable :effort: for a genuine newbie and shortcuts them around skills that really only serve as time gates for new players (and cash grabs in terms of training time for alts).

The balance of the universe will not be shifted if Little Johnny gets into a reasonably competent T1 frigate a couple weeks sooner, but he might keep playing after his 3 week trial if he has a taste of real progression.

these both sound completely a-ok (and have the side effect of letting me make unknown alts very quickly :getin:)

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6539576

Skinner box attempt failed, no more treats for us.

That's a drat shame. I really liked this feature. I gotta say they're probably right in the effect it had on peoples login behaviour though. If I wasn't planning on playing that character that day anyway I would just log it on -> warp to belt -> kill rat and dock up and log off again. In order to keep new players logging in they need to make missions/quest lines reward SP so that you have something to continually work towards.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
It's almost like ccp is learning the same lessons blizzard did 3 years ago. Logging in daily may correlate strongly to the account still being subscribed next month, but boring rear end repetitive chores aren't going to up your subscription numbers. At least it only took a few minutes and they figured it out fast enough.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just completed the SOE epic arc... I think? I captured a dude and stuck him in a box out in space and now the primary quest giver doesn't have any more missions for me.

At no point did it ever reward me anything other than credits which I thought was pretty disappointing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Just completed the SOE epic arc... I think? I captured a dude and stuck him in a box out in space and now the primary quest giver doesn't have any more missions for me.

At no point did it ever reward me anything other than credits which I thought was pretty disappointing.

Thats not the end, the end will be trying to kill some guy and you'll be like: how the gently caress do i kill this guy i cant break his shields !?

Theres a way to trace your steps using the journal i think somebody help me out

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah that was the dude I captured and stuck in a box in the following mission. His shield ship was a pain in the rear end because all of my damage came from Hammerheads which suck rear end against shields.

I got mail from another Sisters of Eve guy with a "Storyline - Distribution" tag asking me to bring 1000 veldspar to a different station, but there was no followup. :confused:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 24, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

oh well then you done

most people run that for a faction hit the reward is poo poo i.e. nothing

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Yeah I did the Caldari epic arc tonight and while it was kinda cool to get no poo poo blops dropped by Gallente Navy (Sin recons and bombers even) it was also p dumb and took my faction standing from like 5.3 to 5.8 which was not the "massive standing gains" I was expecting. poo poo the storyline I got because it's a 15 mission arc gave more than the drat epic arc did.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Syndic Thrass posted:

Yeah I did the Caldari epic arc tonight and while it was kinda cool to get no poo poo blops dropped by Gallente Navy (Sin recons and bombers even) it was also p dumb and took my faction standing from like 5.3 to 5.8 which was not the "massive standing gains" I was expecting. poo poo the storyline I got because it's a 15 mission arc gave more than the drat epic arc did.

At least it's nice that the epic arcs are all slightly different. The Caldari one demands more stealth (there's one mission leading you through NPC-NullSec, for example), the Minmatar one mixes archaeology into it and Gallente and Amarr are about endless waves of battleships to kill. The Gallente epic arc also has some stealth-missions, I think. From the Amarr one I only remember endless combat against swarms of red crosses. :shepface:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ah well, at least it gave me enough starting cash to get more PI set up, and I can do that and mine until my industry skills get up to speed.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Cross-posting from the unchill thread:

ullerrm posted:

I hate to interrupt the chill-i talk, but patch notes for next week's launch are up. Notable changes for those who haven't been watching Sisi:

Balance changes:
  • PLdotte succeeded at abusing carriers until CCP felt compelled to nerf them into the ground, Drake-style:
    • The Networked Sensor Array got loving nerf-hammered -- max lock bonus removed, scan res bonus cut in half, and it now stacks with sebos/sigamps.
    • All fighters now have an actual lock range
    • All fighters got their F1 buffed and their F2 nerfed into the loving ground. Rest in piss, Heavy Rocket Salvo.
    • Fighters can't run MWDs/MJDs if they're getting scrammed by a ship.
    • Station/sentry guns will murder any fighters within 125km if you aggressed on the same grid, even if your ship was 125km+ away when you aggressed.
    • Long range FiBos now scale their damage output with sig radius -- no more entertainment from Laz getting stream-sniped by nano Hels :911:
  • Sieged dreads and triaged FAXes are now immune to ECM, but are more vulnerable to damps. Likewise, Marauders are finally immune to ECM again while in Bastion mode (thank god).
  • Naglfar now has 3 turret hardpoints, and has lost its +50% damage role bonus; it got some cpu and grid to compensate.
  • All Capital Shield Extenders lost 10% of their HP bonus, because the Phoenix clearly hadn''t been cornholed enough.
  • If you're a blops outside a citadel, running your bridge doesn't break your tether. (thank loving god)
  • All boosters (even Standard/Improved/Strong) are now legal everywhere -- and can be put in contracts!
  • Serpentis LP stores now have a new set of pirate implants that boost active armor reps (aka armor Crystals).
  • RIP, Thrill of the Hunt free SP.
Quality of life:
  • Tactical overlay now shows movement line for your ship's direction/speed, a mouse-over showing speed and %-chance-to-hist for locked targets, and indicators of orbits for drones.
  • New visuals for triage on FAXes.
  • You can trade items / redeem items in Citadels (but still no contracts) and activate skill extractors / injectors / PLEX.
  • You can now have 8 overview tabs (up from 5).
  • Multi-fit!
  • You're now allowed to reprocess a Rorqual while its docked in a L or XL Citadel (because that's basically the only good use of a Rorqual at the moment).
Content:

CCP posted a video walking through it all if words are hard.

ullerrm posted:

Also, CCP's finally announced their timetable for AT14; they've pushed it back to late November, with the final matches taking place on Thanksgiving weekend. :sigh: :ccp:

https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/alliance-tournament-xiv-is-coming/

You need to be in the member of the alliance you plan to compete in by July 1st, so PL folks, time to pull all your tourney alts out of Broski and PH :P

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Hey ullerrm I've been looking for you on jabber because this seems like something right up your alley. Why is peak regen at 33% shields? Like how does the math work there.

I have gotten tons of ashimmu burners and it rolls a RLML XLASB onyx with 2 EM wards and 2 extenders to make enough EHP for you to tank a whole asb reload cycle. I rep like 20%per charge so I've been letting myself get to like 10% before boosting it back. The difference in passive regen/overall tank is massively different from 50 to 30%. I mean like 4 volleys to go from 50 to 30 and like 9 or 10 to go from 30 to 5. Why is that?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Syndic Thrass posted:

Hey ullerrm I've been looking for you on jabber because this seems like something right up your alley. Why is peak regen at 33% shields? Like how does the math work there.

I have gotten tons of ashimmu burners and it rolls a RLML XLASB onyx with 2 EM wards and 2 extenders to make enough EHP for you to tank a whole asb reload cycle. I rep like 20%per charge so I've been letting myself get to like 10% before boosting it back. The difference in passive regen/overall tank is massively different from 50 to 30%. I mean like 4 volleys to go from 50 to 30 and like 9 or 10 to go from 30 to 5. Why is that?

Peak is actually at 25%. :) We use 33% as a goal because it's a safe margin -- i.e. you don't risk having a big incoming wrecking shot that drops you below 25%.

Easy explanation: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Shields:_How_They_Work#Technical_Section:_Shield_Recharge_Rate

Hard math (shield and capacitor both follow the same formula): http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Capacitor_Recharge_Rate

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 24, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

quote:

You can now have 8 overview tabs (up from 5)

This is the most important thing to me as a relative newbie, and I loving love it.

Also whatever multi-fit means might also be really great.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Also whatever multi-fit means might also be really great.

Push button on fit and it fits multiple versions of that ship+fit as long as available modules/hulls/ammo allow.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

ullerrm posted:

Push button on fit and it fits multiple versions of that ship+fit as long as available modules/hulls/ammo allow.

:vince:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
:ullerrm: How long term reliable would you say the Rev will be as top dread?

:ccp: being what they are. I'm forced to train into a new Dread now that the Phoenix is broken. The Rev looks great but I don't like how cap dependant it is. I was going for the Naglfar because that has always been a reliable dread. Though it's a lot less tanky than the Phoenix or Rev.

I'm worried that the Rev will be nerfed soon and then I'll just be stuck with a cap heavy standard quality dread.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Also I am guilty of minor market fuckery. I have purposely kept the price of ECCM scripts on the Jita market unusually low since they were released because miniluv uses them. (and I could no longer directly send miniluv scripts since I'm Horde)

I built over 3 million of these scripts and flooded the market with them to crash the prices and keep them low to prevent people from artificially inflating the price.

I wuv you Boney.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i'm sure boney is appreciating the sub 30,000 isk bonus per ship destroyed

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
2 unscripted sebo to pod pods thats all I need

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Zakrello posted:

2 unscripted sebo to pod pods thats all I need

u do know that one with a sensor strength script is better than two with no script right

right????

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

nigga crab pollock posted:

u do know that one with a sensor strength script is better than two with no script right

right????

But then you're supporting Big Script and they're bad people because capitalism.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

right????

I tested this in EFT

For sensor boosters one with a sensor strength script and one with a targeting range script will give less of both than two unscripted.

However two Missile Guidance computers unscripted will have diminishing returns for application and range. As opposed to two who have one script each.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

right????

seems u haven't ganked things like I do. try it out yourself

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
and mind that sebo now give 3 bonuses not 2, the 3rd one is sensor strength and is loving important, think before u script

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yall wanna know what my four favorite words are?

Leers > isk sent cyno up

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Are there any ships that are aesthetically similar to the Tristan, with a more vertical "face" design than looking like traditional starship things? Something about it is just really nice to look at and I hate having to use ships that aren't it.

If you look in the back of the curse, in between the stuff that's jutting out there's a face of a monkey wearing sunglasses.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is hole squad fairly active in EU timezone ?
I'd like to experience the wormhole life but I'm a filthy casual.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Reverand maynard posted:

yall wanna know what my four favorite words are?

Leers > isk sent cyno up

OMG he didn't use Chribba

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

CashEnsign posted:

OMG he didn't use Chribba

His 5 favorite words

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Are there any ships that are aesthetically similar to the Tristan, with a more vertical "face" design than looking like traditional starship things? Something about it is just really nice to look at and I hate having to use ships that aren't it.
the maulus is another gallente t1 frigate that has less of a traditional shape. the vexor is... vaguely a big maulus? you might like it.

the oracle kinda has that design but its the amarr combat battlecruiser

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Tangerines posted:

Here's a handy guide for getting your alt into Goonwaffe VG. It explains and provides links for the mystical API aspect.

https://wiki.goonfleet.com/Joining_GoonWaffe_101

I never have a problem getting back into GF. I always have a problem learning all the new features and all that has changed with the corp since i last played. I'm an on and offer.

Every time I rejoin there seems to be a new big enemy and our capital system changes to like 200 warps away from where it previously was.

The gf website really needs a timeline page or something with clicky links.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 27, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Imapanda posted:

The gf website really needs a timeline page or something with clicky links.

this is a good idea. I could see myself perusing it.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm getting into multibox mining, using 1xOrca and 4xProcurers in highsec, I use an MTU and stuff the Orca full then use one of the miners to haul stuff to the closest citadel, is this setup viable?

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Also one of my alts can fly an Occator, what on earth would one use this thing for?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

bluegoon posted:

Also one of my alts can fly an Occator, what on earth would one use this thing for?

It's tankier than a normal transport, and since it's cargo is not stored in the cargo hold, you can fit whatever mods you want to the ship, there's no need to gimp the align time/warp speed/ or tank in order to fit cargo space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

bluegoon posted:

a properly fit cheap DST can sit on 125k EHP with MJD and MWD/Cloak which means it's effectively unkillable for 99% of gankers in eve.

unless you get caught by the russians who just neut you out with a battleship and kill you with 30 thrashers

• Locked thread