Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

<In extremely Sam Stoddard voice>: Whoopsie daisy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Is there a single effect they could print in EMN that would reduce the dominance of GW Tokens? Seems like a 2 mana and/or instant speed answer to Planeswalkers a la Dreadbore would go a long way towards that. Or a card with something to the effect of "creatures your opponents control can't have +1/+1 counters on them." Or, if a guy can dream, a decent counterspell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hmm, maybe they shouldn't have put some of the strongest cards in the past 6 sets in two colors.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

Is there a single effect they could print in EMN that would reduce the dominance of GW Tokens? Seems like a 2 mana and/or instant speed answer to Planeswalkers a la Dreadbore would go a long way towards that. Or a card with something to the effect of "creatures your opponents control can't have +1/+1 counters on them." Or, if a guy can dream, a decent counterspell.

Bring back WIther and reprint Kulrath Knight

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mehall posted:

Bring back WIther and reprint Kulrath Knight

Wither is the best representation of creatures applying -1/-1 counters they've done.

Shadowmoor is a great set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/Chosler88/status/747140947201359872

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This Living End game :captainpop:

Tony Le plays Scavenging Ooze, uses both birds to eat Fulminator Mage and Pale Recluse, passed.

David Pierce draws, plays Demonic Dread, cascades into the topdeck living end, trigger on the stack, uses his last forest to cycle Deadshot Minotaur, draws Street Wrath, cycles that into another Street Wraith, into a Faerie Macabre, pitches two Macabres to exile the Raging Ravine in Le's graveyard.

Living End Resolves.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 26, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

stinkles1112 posted:

This chart doesn't show dominance from GW tokens, it shows dominance from GWx decks. Yes, tokens has the most representation, but Bant Company+Bant Humans isn't far behind, and Rites is there too.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

SCG regionals all over US and Canada.

Proceeds to show the only canadian regional is in Calgary

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hey goons is anyone at GP Pitt? If you are look for the tall ginger hobbling around on a crutch badly. I'm over by the stores right now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

stinkles1112 posted:

Sure, reprint Flashfires.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

Sure.

gently caress Green and White
Sorcery
1RB
Deal 2 damage to all creatures and players. In addition remove 2 counters from all permanents in play. (permanents with no counters can't lose counters)

So Volcanic Fallout, but a sorcery, and the black aspect removes counters. This would be in Color Pie, and roughly what a Gold card at that CMC could do. Of course this card murders planeswalkers (even though thats in color pie for black as well). But they won't ever print it because spells cant be good anymore. It's all about Planeswalkers and creature combat.

It would also make Grixis like actually really good in Standard cause it comboes with Thing in the Ice. But R and D is on a "gently caress Grixis" train lately so.....

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

anglachel posted:

Sure.

Sorcery
1RB
Deal 2 damage to all creatures and players. In addition remove 2 counters from all permanents in play. (permanents with no counters can't lose counters)

So Volcanic Fallout, but a sorcery, and the black aspect removes counters. This would be in Color Pie, and roughly what a Gold card at that CMC could do. Of course this card murders planeswalkers (even though thats in color pie for black as well). But they won't ever print it because spells cant be good anymore. It's all about Planeswalkers and creature combat.

Print that at uncommon, please and thank you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

anglachel posted:

Sure.

Sorcery
1RB

It would also make Grixis like actually really good in Standard cause it comboes with Thing in the Ice. But R and D is on a "gently caress Grixis" train lately so.....
They could print that at 2RB and it would still be a loving 4-of in any deck that could support it even a little.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LMAO. Local grinder makes it big.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

They could print that at 2RB and it would still be a loving 4-of in any deck that could support it even a little.

Only because of GW tokens though I think. It's not a ridiculously powerful card, which I guess is the point!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They could reprint Damnation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

anglachel posted:

Sure.

Sorcery
1RB

If you're going to make a card to complain about the dominance of Avacyn and Sylvan Advocate, could you actually make it do something about Avacyn and Sylvan Advocate?

It doesn't even pop Reflector Mage or Matter Displacer...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you're going to make a card to complain about the dominance of Avacyn and Sylvan Advocate, could you actually make it do something about Avacyn and Sylvan Advocate?

They aren't going to ban cards in standard. That being said, Sylvan Advocate is better than Goyf would be in this standard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
reprint the following three cards: lightning strike/bolt, dreadbore, snapcaster mage

E: also mana leak

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

GeneX posted:

reprint the following three cards: lightning strike/bolt, dreadbore, snapcaster mage

Yes, yes, no and yes

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Decks enabled by those would still have Avacyn at the top of the curve.

We're stuck with her unless they make a better haymaker. Reprint Baneslayer Angel.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A playable lightning strike would deal with Sylvan Advocate and Reflector Mage. And as far as Avacyn goes, there's lot of cards already in print that can deal with Avacyn. Just not her deal with when she's negating a Boardwipe cause you have to wait till turn 5 to play Wrath's so you they get to hold 5 mana open if they went first to negate your wipe the rest of the game.

Note the card I suggested doesn't actually hurt Always Watching focused strategies like at all

Also it's cards like Tireless Tracker and Giddeon that I think really push Green and White over the top. Sylvan Advocate and Avacyn would be perfectly fine if they were like the most powerful cards for their colors. But they aren't.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 26, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, yes, no and yes

Why not Dreadbore?

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM DAAAAAAAAAAAAAVISSSSSSSSSSS

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cernunnos posted:

Why not Dreadbore?

Because he is an idiot.

Mae posted:

JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIM DAAAAAAAAAAAAAVISSSSSSSSSSS

Only he would refuse to concede an infinite combo of life on game 1.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 26, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cernunnos posted:

Why not Dreadbore?

Dreadbore was the second suggestion. The third was Snapcaster.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Is there a single effect they could print in EMN that would reduce the dominance of GW Tokens?

No, usually when token decks get good cards they are really, really hard to beat. This time around they have 2 planeswalkers that both make and pump tokens, they have a superefficient instant speed token maker, they have a "gently caress your Wrath" card in Avacyn, and Westvale Abbey to turn a bunch of 0/1s and 1/1s into a real threat. There's no Maelstrom Pulse to knock out multiple tokens, there's not even a Firespout to clear out tokens early. Noncreature permanents, especially planeswalkers, that make creature tokens are notoriously powerful and hard to deal with in Constructed: Garruk Wildspeaker, Xenagos, Bitterblossom, several Elspeths, Mastery of the Unseen. The list goes on. Maybe Secure the Wastes, Dromoka's Command, and Hangarback Walker rotating out will be enough to kill the deck, but Gideon + Nissa is still a really powerful combo.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lets Pickle posted:

No, usually when token decks get good cards they are really, really hard to beat. This time around they have 2 planeswalkers that both make and pump tokens, they have a superefficient instant speed token maker, they have a "gently caress your Wrath" card in Avacyn, and Westvale Abbey to turn a bunch of 0/1s and 1/1s into a real threat. There's no Maelstrom Pulse to knock out multiple tokens, there's not even a Firespout to clear out tokens early. Noncreature permanents, especially planeswalkers, that make creature tokens are notoriously powerful and hard to deal with in Constructed: Garruk Wildspeaker, Xenagos, Bitterblossom, several Elspeths, Mastery of the Unseen. The list goes on. Maybe Secure the Wastes, Dromoka's Command, and Hangarback Walker rotating out will be enough to kill the deck, but Gideon + Nissa is still a really powerful combo.

Declaration in stone is a cheaper maelstorm pulse for tokens.

Edit: Why aren't people bringing Rites decks. Don't they have an advantage against G/W tokens, and lose to B/W control which is only seeing less and less play.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 26, 2016

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Reprint Night of Souls' Betrayal.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

The Midnight Scavengers art hasn't been seen anywhere yet, so I guess this is real? They apparently did this mechanic in Duel Monsters.

(from here)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Minority Deport posted:

The Midnight Scavengers art hasn't been seen anywhere yet, so I guess this is real? They apparently did this mechanic in Duel Monsters.

(from here)

Mechanics where other cards are named is cool. I think I remember reading that they don't do those often because of having card names in other languages.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

loving CALLED IT

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really want it to be real.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neato. Some predicted this based on that two part Endbringer that I think was randomly found in a booster.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
One step closer to yugioh

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I wrote this on on my Facebook on April 18:

"So, a thought for my MTG friends.
I know Ken Nagle tried to design cards that had two "halves" like BFG for NPH. It didn't end up working for a variety of reasons, many of which should be obvious.

However... it strikes me that double-faced technology is the perfect venue for such a thing to exist. Consider two cards:
Nahiri's Cult and Nahiri's Lodestone

The Cult is a creature on its front face. The Lodestone is a mana rock artifact. The Cult has the ability "10, T: if this creature and a card named Nahiri's Lodestone are both on the battlefield, transform them both and link them." Link being the new keyword here.

The back sides of Cult and Lodestone are each half of a giant Emrakul, Devourer of Innistrad. Each half of Emrakul, Devourer of Innistrad is just half a card with no independent existence, but they are never seen in that state-- to get them to transform, they must both be present when the trigger resolves. That gets around the problem of "half-cards" that do nothing unless you have the other half. Cult and Lodestone both function alone.

Emrakul is obviously a completely bonkers giant creature in this scenario.

In order to get around corner cases you could keyword the transform ability "Meld" or whatever, and add a section to the comp rules that says "If a card with Meld would transform by any means other than its Meld ability, it does not transform."

I would like to hear what you all think."

even nailed the name

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Neato. Some predicted this based on that two part Endbringer that I think was randomly found in a booster.

I'm surprised I never saw this, but a quick Google later:

Edit: it also occurred to me today that we probably won't see clue tokens in EDM because the "mystery" has been solved.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I hope they reprint B.F.M. in this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm surprised I never saw this, but a quick Google later:

Edit: it also occurred to me today that we probably won't see clue tokens in EDM because the "mystery" has been solved.

In the mythos you don't fight the monsters, but instead research the proper spell to banish them, so there's still room for Investigate. I don't think they explored Investigate's design space enough so I hope to see more of it in EMN.

e: Also I guess the Hanweir card is a Meld creature on the other half and that's the reason we only saw one of its faces yet.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 26, 2016

• Locked thread