Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Toxxupation posted:

That is possibly the faintest-rear end faint praise you're damning Cyborg with.

I'm just surprised they didn't transplant Cyborg from the Teen Titans cartoon wholecloth into the DCU. Seriously I'm trying to think of a better character rehabilitation in general than Cyborg pre-and post- the Teen Titans cartoons and coming up short. Maybe, ironically, Starfire from Teen Titans as well?

I feel like almost every character in that show was the best they've been in modern media, minus Robin, who was a weird mishmash of Dick, Jason, and Tim's personalities, and maybe the Doom Patrol.

Lot of C-D list villains and Titan's got to be cool in that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I never liked the original Legion, at least not as engaging fiction. They make for some hilarious panels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I think it has more to do with the fact that Cyborg was in Super Friends and Johns is too addicted to his nostalgia

I won't disagree with this but he could have easily had a fondness for a less terrible character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really don't care for Cyborg, but that's mostly because the character is pretty much been depicted most times as a plot device and is devoid of any good characterization. I'm not resistant to the fact that someone could turn him around. In fact John Semper said some things during that DC Rebirth intro panel that got me curious about his new series. So much so that I think I might actually buy at least the Rebirth issue. He'll have to be a miracle worker though for me to follow it past that as I can't imagine anyone buying two Cyborg comics a month for any reason.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like almost every character in that show was the best they've been in modern media, minus Robin, who was a weird mishmash of Dick, Jason, and Tim's personalities, and maybe the Doom Patrol.

Lot of C-D list villains and Titan's got to be cool in that show.

I wonder what rewatching the series now would be like, if it still holds up a decade-plus after it aired.

I'm really surprised that, for an animated series as beloved as it was, that Teen Titans didn't exactly have a blowback legacy like BTAS did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BTAS followed on the heels of the Michael Keaton film and they were telling timeless, classic Batman stories that still hold up to rewatching today.

TTG had the most annoying opening music imaginable and had no massively successful film franchise to ride in on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Toxxupation posted:

I wonder what rewatching the series now would be like, if it still holds up a decade-plus after it aired.

I'm really surprised that, for an animated series as beloved as it was, that Teen Titans didn't exactly have a blowback legacy like BTAS did.

I rewatched it with a nephew and niece who are big fans of it now thanks to reruns and that shittier, newer show. It still holds up pretty okay, and it's kind of nice to see each season kind of revolved around one of the titans (Except startfire who's slot went to Terra for season 2). Hell, even Cyborg got season 3's main plot all to himself and the Teen Titan's east with Brother Blood and HIVE.

Also Mas y Menos were super fun and I wish they transitioned back into the comics, but given how DC writes things they'd probably become monsters or worse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

TTG had the most annoying opening music imaginable

Hey, kids loved that opening. I know because I was like...seven, at the time. (I literally squealed when Nightwing showed up that one time)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Hey, kids loved that opening. I know because I was like...seven, at the time. (I literally squealed when Nightwing showed up that one time)

But when you go to revisit it 10 years later you wonder what the hell was wrong with you as a child.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I've been thinking and I'd be fine with Cyborg in the League, but not as one of the original members. They need to acknowledge his time with the Titans and how he earned his spot in the JL. Kinda like how Dick did when he was in the JL briefly.

Then let's get this poo poo big again! Get Green Arrow, Black Canary, the Atom, the Hawks, Captain Marvel, Firestorm.

And I love original LOSH. I just enjoy the size of it and the diversity. Also loved post-Zero Hour. But the story-arc in Action Comics followed by the stuff in Adventure Comics and the 6th volume of LOSH is extremely my poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

But when you go to revisit it 10 years later you wonder what the hell was wrong with you as a child.

Nah it still rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Nah it still rules.

You made it almost a whole week before you made a bad post.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

You made it almost a whole week before you made a bad post.

I'm too much of a weeb to not love everything about it's semi-cringy faux anime set up, and that includes the Japanese pop stars.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So he loves Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, and Cyborg...

That's just sad.

It's not just sad, it's annoying. Hal is a lame GL, Barry is prolly the worst Flash, and Cyborg is prolly the worst Titan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SeannieDarko posted:

Then let's get this poo poo big again! ...the Hawks...

Nope.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Awwwwwwww man

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hawkgirl & Dove

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I was gonna say, having Hawkgirl around would be pretty cool, but then I forgot the only version of Hawkgirl I liked was the Justice League cartoon version, and in comics she's not really like cartoon Hawkgirl at all.

DC has a lot of characters that are a lot less interesting/fun in comics than they are in the animated stuff. Hawkgirl, Cyborg, basically everyone in Young Justice (including Aqualad, who despite having a much dumber name than Aquaman and not being king of Atlantis, totally managed to be a cool character that wasn't hindered by being an Aquaperson).

(also, Travis343, my avatar isn't The Flash, it's from a music video that I'm not linking here because it's NSFW and not particularly comicbook related. Google the text under the gif, you should find it)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrProsek posted:

DC has a lot of characters that are a lot less interesting/fun in comics than they are in the animated stuff. Hawkgirl, Cyborg, basically everyone in Young Justice

Strong disagree there, unless you're specifically talking about New 52 versions.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

X-O posted:

Strong disagree there, unless you're specifically talking about New 52 versions.

Oh yeah, should have added that qualifier; my bad :v:.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Batman Eternal.

I really loved one specific element of that final issue - the idea that, for one day, everyone in Gotham decides to be Batman - and all the Bluebird/Spoiler/Julie Pennyworth/Catwoman stuff was great.

I also really liked the idea of who the ultimate Big Bad is, but the last-minute swerve so it'd be Marsh yet again is an altogether-too-convenient way to give the Cluemaster his moment of triumph without upsetting the status quo.

I guess for a story being told that's that long and has such a strong central mystery of "Who is doing this and why", the reveal of it being "Batman's brother, again, and also that lame rear end in a top hat version of the Riddler" comes across as distinctly unsatisfying. It's also frustrating when Cluemaster's plan, such as it is, is "Get a bunch of better villains into Gotham and have them tire Batman out to the point where I win, I guess", which is basically Bane's plan in Knightfall anyways.

It also sucks that Cluemaster's plan is "get everyone to Gotham where I don't really have a guiding plan", so all the different ongoing things - the Arkham zombie poo poo, Aslyum blowing up releasing its prisoners, Hush's mega-longand super convoluted plan, the Blackgate mess, Spoiler's stuff, the Catwoman stuff - it doesn't really cohere into a central vision because the whole point of it was anarchy, so it sort of reveals the strings of being a whole bunch of convoluted wheel spinning until the endgame finally got setup. I also don't really get Bard's arc in Eternal and how, even by Gotham's incredibly loose standards, a sitting Commissioner could orchestrate the deaths of a whole platoon of cops under his command and not get thrown in jail. It doesn't really...track or anything.

Also Hush just kinda sucks so the fact that he's the number two or three big bad in Eternal sucks poo poo. Hush is lame.

Eternal ended up feeling like kind of a mess that didn't really know where it was going or what it was doing. Although it had awesome individual stuff, it feels sort of aimless and wheel-spinny for a lot of its run, especially in retrospect when you have no idea who the person behind it all could be.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 26, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I assume you're now going to speed into Batman and Robin Eternal? I never heard much good about Batman Eternal but I have heard a few people that liked the that series.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No, that isn't on my shortlist. Currently I have a bunch of Batgirl comics to read (including the beginning of the Batgirl of Burnside run), then Gotham Academy into Endgame, Grayson, We Are Robin, Robin, Son of Batman, then Superheavy and Robin War. Where should I wedge Batman and Robin Eternal into that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

No, that isn't on my shortlist. Currently I have a bunch of Batgirl comics to read (including the beginning of the Batgirl of Burnside run), then Gotham Academy into Endgame, Grayson, We Are Robin, Robin, Son of Batman, then Superheavy and Robin War. Where should I wedge Batman and Robin Eternal into that?

I think there's a couple month hiatus between the two. Someone that actually read it might be better at answering that question. I just heard it was an improvement on Eternal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was also half as long so they didn't have to pad it out with bullshit subplots.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I'm too much of a weeb to not love everything about it's semi-cringy faux anime set up, and that includes the Japanese pop stars.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a WickedHate post but I guess this is the hill I die on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did somebody say the new Teen Titans show sucked and this passed without comment?

The new Teen Titans show loving rocks. It's the best.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
TTG is a huge example of hit and miss. It's got some pretty nice gags here and there but it's mostly aggressively mediocre.

TwoPair posted:

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a WickedHate post but I guess this is the hill I die on.

I can't believe people are only just now acknowledging who I am. I didn't even get a single "welcome back"! Pretty rude, yall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

TTG is a huge example of hit and miss. It's got some pretty nice gags here and there but it's mostly aggressively mediocre.

I can't believe people are only just now acknowledging who I am. I didn't even get a single "welcome back"! Pretty rude, yall.

Last time that jinxed you so I just let it slide. I didn't expect your next downfall to be over loving Teen Titans Go.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Teen Titans Go is a good cartoon that happens to use DC characters. The new iPhone game based on the show is also delightful. Batman is quite a dick and you play as Robin as he slowly descends into madness.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wasn't one of the reasons that Cyborg was added into the Justice League because Dwayne McDuffie was a fan of his, and they did it in his memory?

I remember reading that somewhere before, but now that I'm looking into it, I can't find a source on it...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Last time that jinxed you so I just let it slide. I didn't expect your next downfall to be over loving Teen Titans Go.

Wait, are we talking about the original Teen Titans cartoon or the new(er) one? I don't even remember what Go's intro theme sounds like.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm starting the Batgirl of Burnside run and is there any specific reason why they didn't just call it a new volume? I'd be more fine with Barbara moving and not bringing Alysia along if it didn't, you know, directly contradict the entirety of the previous issue. I just think a new creative team (and apparently a new canon?) would have worked better if they didn't pretend that this was a direct sequel to the final issue of the previous run being all about how Barbara realized that she was shutting people out, she had to embrace the family she built on top of the family she was born with (basically only her father at this point), she can't just leave people she's close to, yadda yadda.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maybe the previous run wasn't very well received? Plus I don't think a new creative team should be shackled into something the previous team does on their way out if they don't want to be. And from how popular the Burnside stuff is they probably made the right decision.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wasn't there a massive uproar over Gail Simone leaving the book?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a big uproar when she got fired and then rehired (I think) but that was mostly because it was during a time when DC could do nothing right and because she has a pretty vocal dedicated fanbase of her own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

There was a big uproar when she got fired and then rehired (I think) but that was mostly because it was during a time when DC could do nothing right and because she has a pretty vocal dedicated fanbase of her own.

Yeah I remember that but I think there was a similar reaction when they said she was out for reals.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well I think most people forgot that when the Burnside stuff became probably the most popular Batgirl stuff in years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well I think most people forgot that when the Burnside stuff became probably the most popular Batgirl stuff in years.

Well yeah, why anyone would yearn for the horseshit she was shoveling would baffle me but before the first issue dropped her fanbase was doing the butthurt mambo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

Maybe the previous run wasn't very well received? Plus I don't think a new creative team should be shackled into something the previous team does on their way out if they don't want to be. And from how popular the Burnside stuff is they probably made the right decision.

No doubt, I'm more saying that that was the prime moment to just call it a new volume and reset the numbering.

It's that it's called issue 35, a direct sequel to issue 34, and not something that ignores previous canon that's the issue.