Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

beefnoodle posted:

Is there a kayak thread? I just moved to Washington State and want to pick one up. Need to get up to speed on what I should look for, etc.

What do you want to use it for? Knowing that will help narrow it down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Some fishing, paddling along the coast in Puget Sound, some sloughs/rivers. I'm pretty sure I want a rudder to help deal with wind, based on limited past experience.

e: this looks interesting: https://www.rei.com/product/868034/boreal-ookpik-kayak-with-rudder

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 22, 2016

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What's your price range? There are a few of us that fish out of kayaks here, I have been fishing out of one for over 8 years now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm settling into my Port Orchard house right now and I want to buy a peddle kayak pronto. I tried a hobie and I loved it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm settling into my Port Orchard house right now and I want to buy a peddle kayak pronto. I tried a hobie and I loved it.

I fish out of my Hobie Outback and I love it, I have done just about every type of water, except shallow streams and that is due to the fact I'm lazy and hate paddling. I have tried a few others and I keep coming back to it, I rigged it with a depth finder and I'm set, all the built in items rock too.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Rythe posted:

What's your price range? There are a few of us that fish out of kayaks here, I have been fishing out of one for over 8 years now.

Less than $1200 would be good.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
Hey, any info or good guides for someone getting back into fishing? A beginner as it were? I've started fishing streams, but I still don't really know what I'm doing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mukulu posted:

Hey, any info or good guides for someone getting back into fishing? A beginner as it were? I've started fishing streams, but I still don't really know what I'm doing.

I have had a ton of people ask me how to get into fishing. I find the best way is to look around for a charter boat/guide and have them teach you. In Florida, there is no shortage of boats and crews for hire for both salt and fresh water. Yeah, you might pay a decent amount, but if you tell them you want to learn, its worth the cost. One session is usually all you need to get started.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Rythe posted:

That is a nice looking kayak and that seat looks amazingly comfortable. Have you had a chance to paddle it yet?

I have not unfortunately. They are made just outside of Atlanta where my in laws are, so I am hoping for a trip down to get a peak. Biggest problem is finding them in stock. They sell out anywhere practically immediately.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

hagie posted:

I have not unfortunately. They are made just outside of Atlanta where my in laws are, so I am hoping for a trip down to get a peak. Biggest problem is finding them in stock. They sell out anywhere practically immediately.

If you have any kayak dealers in your area you can probably have one ordered and put on hold for you, I did that with my Outback, nearest store was 2 1/2 hours away. Hopefully you can get a chance to paddle that boat before you buy, you can learn so much about the kayak from that initial paddle. Also if you get a chance, get out and paddle as many boats as you can, find a dealer that does open paddle at a lake and try out everything.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I got in touch with vibe and they sent me a local dealer.

Hopefully I can catch up with him soon to give it a shot

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Finally got out for a fish after spending the last month studying for my exams. Ended up with a few pike and a goatfish. No gummy sharks unfortunately.

Pike? You mentioned gummysharks so I'm guessing your maybe southern hemisphere? What are your kind of pike? The ones we call pike up here are freshwater and almost always in lakes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheDon01 posted:

Pike? You mentioned gummysharks so I'm guessing your maybe southern hemisphere? What are your kind of pike? The ones we call pike up here are freshwater and almost always in lakes.

Yeah, those are ::inhale:: The Australian barracuda, arrow barracuda, Australian sea pike, sea pike, snook, or shortfin barracuda. Sphyraena novaehollandiae, so most definitely in the barracuda family.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Sweet, are they 90% bones and teeth like our pike?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

TheDon01 posted:

Yeah, I'm in Australia, I do 90% of my fishing here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Port

As the other poster said, those are shortfin pike which are a saltwater species not at all related to the freshwater pike from the northern hemisphere. A lot of our fish (and other things) are named after European species they have no relation to because the early settlers thought they looked the same. For example, Australian Salmon (Arripis trutta), whiting (Sillaginidae) and Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii).

TheDon01 posted:

Sweet, are they 90% bones and teeth like our pike?

Nah, the bones are pretty big and easy to remove, I would have got close to a kg of fillets off a 70cm fish I think. They do have sharp teeth though and I prefer to use cheap lures when I think there are pike or couta (Thyrsites atun) around because they are notorious for biting you off. They fight like a wet tea towel, half the time I'm certain it spat the treble only to see the fish is still on when I get it near the yak. The flesh is fairly sweet but soft and bruises easily, and they don't freeze well so I tend only keep enough to eat in the next day or so. They also make one of the best gummy shark baits.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gay picnic defence posted:

A lot of our fish (and other things) are named after European species they have no relation to because the early settlers thought they looked the same. For example, Australian Salmon (Arripis trutta), whiting (Sillaginidae) and Murray cod (Maccullochella peelii).

Yeah, I was trying to remember some specific examples for that. Your wrens are robins and your robins are chats ( and thrushes!)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 27, 2016

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone done much fishing in the Gila Wilderness in NM? I am just starting to plan a hiking trip and I figure I can haul along some fishing gear. If you have been what did you go after and what places did you like?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you haven't heard about it yet, you should just go ahead and watch pretty much every episode of Niggas On Da' River , a new educational fishing youtube channel/show from a rapper out of Portland. He takes his friends out and they fish and smoke blunts and bullshit about stuff. I think this episode is my favorite because of the uncle who's just scared shitless of the fish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x9C4siCguI

The one (7? 8?) where they take kayaks is both hilarious (black people afraid of the water!), and then a little bit shocking in just how racist the people working in the shipyard end up acting, and how the white guys with them are tripping on how many times they get messed with on the water in one day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPbE9UzJps

These guys need to be the next Viceland show, some sponsor seriously needs to get them in a drift boat.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

coyo7e posted:

If you haven't heard about it yet, you should just go ahead and watch pretty much every episode of Niggas On Da' River , a new educational fishing youtube channel/show from a rapper out of Portland. He takes his friends out and they fish and smoke blunts and bullshit about stuff. I think this episode is my favorite because of the uncle who's just scared shitless of the fish.

The one (7? 8?) where they take kayaks is both hilarious (black people afraid of the water!), and then a little bit shocking in just how racist the people working in the shipyard end up acting, and how the white guys with them are tripping on how many times they get messed with on the water in one day.

These guys need to be the next Viceland show, some sponsor seriously needs to get them in a drift boat.
That was glorious, thanks for that. I watched NODR's entire channel. Jesus that was some utter bullshit they endured at the shipyard but awesome when the coast guard showed up and said "I'm a fan of your videos! Keep it up!" then basically told the shipyard to gently caress off.

In my fishing update, I had the pleasure of canoeing down Central Michigan's Au Sable River and slamming trout along the way. I caught mostly stocked rainbows hardly large enough to keep, but the more serious fishermen were catching beautiful big browns. The water was moving around 2-5mph, so unfortunately I didn't have my phone handy for any fish pics. But here are some pics along the river:

Good scenery to slam rainbows:

Look out point:

One of our campsites - fishermen across the bank were slamming browns up until 2am.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's great because it's actually a good fishing show and after the first couple shaky episodes they go out of their way to start trying to explain their rigging, show knots etc. Also it's loving hilarious because I've got a neighbor up from LA who really keeps harassing me on "where da fuckin' MEAT at?! I wanna catch some loving monsters and feed my fams!", he keeps wanting to go fishing but keeps making up excuses, showing him this poo poo got him super interested in going out for real instead of bullshitting about it... But the dude tripping on letting go those "boots" (dark salmon, looks like old leather) is hilarious because it could be a twin for my neighbor.

"What is that a bigass carp!?!?"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 30, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I only watched the fist one but any fishing show with actual editing and decent audio is worth my time. I have no idea why people put poo poo out with such poo poo production values.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The audio quality comes and goes but it's mainly because of amateurs standing next to a river. Their camera setup got jacked flying home from CA if I read the timelines right though so they are starting again after ep 8 I think

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I haven't watched many episodes of this show but what I have seen is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hni5TqDbYJM

It's based in NZ so there will be some different species to what you Americans are used to.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Usually use dry flies and poppers while fly fishing, but I tried a bead head wooly bugger with a strike indicator yesterday... my god that's a fun way to fish. Caught a few 1-2 pound largemouth and some decent hybrid sunnies and had a blast in one of the few 10+ foot water clarity lakes in my area. With about a 7 foot leader from where the indicator was to the fly, I could watch the fish come up from the deep submerged weed bed and strike. I don't know if I'll be able to go back to spinning setup and bobber fishing after that.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

I'm beginning to hate perch. Is that wrong? Does anyone else hate perch?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Very sharp small filet knife is the cure.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mukulu posted:

I'm beginning to hate perch. Is that wrong? Does anyone else hate perch?

I hate that it has been too swelteringly hot and scorchingly bright out the last week, which has caused me to no want to go out and chase them.

White perch on a UL rod is one of the best things ever.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I've always wanted to live on/have access to water with yellow perch. They're like super pretty mini walleye!

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

WTF BEES posted:

I've always wanted to live on/have access to water with yellow perch. They're like super pretty mini walleye!

A lot of the perch in my area are covered in little black spots... I've always assumed they were some kind of parasite but have no idea why the other fish wouldn't also have them. Anyone else find perch like that? I have never kept any to eat because I have been terrified of aliens busting out of my chest or something.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

YarPirate posted:

A lot of the perch in my area are covered in little black spots... I've always assumed they were some kind of parasite but have no idea why the other fish wouldn't also have them. Anyone else find perch like that? I have never kept any to eat because I have been terrified of aliens busting out of my chest or something.

Are they this stuff?

MN DNR has a page on it as well.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Oh yeah, that's totally it. Thanks!

"Safe to eat if cooked well" = I'm still not going to eat any with spots now that I've found out it is totally a parasite. How close is the taste between perch and walleye, anyways? Pretty much indistinguishable?

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Perch are just too tiny and keep swallowing hooks. I feel like a monster.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Something's eating the perch you know...

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Mukulu posted:

Go barbless, then all you need is a small stick with a Y at the end to push it out super easy. Or a pair of hemostats, what ever.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So apparently I am an abysmal failure at catching catfish. I was in an area today (Lyons Ferry State Park in Washington) that's very heavy (visibly!) with channel cats. It's a breeding area for them.
I caught a smallmouth on my second cast with my baitcaster setup. Little while later I had something much bigger on that same pole. I had to adjust my drag mid-fight to reel him in. Unfortunately I had failed to properly set the hook so whatever it was got away.
Meanwhile I have my plunking pole in the water, pretty far out. It's rigged with a 1oz sliding weight above a swivel. The size 6/0 circle hook on a 1-ft leader is attached to that and was baited with cut bait made from herring and, anchovies and also chicken livers. Something ate the bait quite often without me ever seeing a strike indication.
I later put the baitcaster away and set up a second plunking pole.
Still, nothing in about 4 hours of fishing. Meanwhile, two older Russian guys in the same area kept pulling them in at rate of about 1 every 15 minutes. Nothing under 10lbs, either. It's too bad I am a socially awkward goon, otherwise I may have talked to them. :(

I'm open to any suggestions here.

Edit: I should have kept the smallie I caught and used it for cut bait.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I spent the last two days chasing tuna from the kayak, it didn't turn out very well, 35km of trolling for just a couple of small couta. I also stacked while coming in through the surf and lost my drift chute, a couple of rod holders and snapped a rod tip. However it was stunning offshore, about 10km from land. There were seals everywhere, flocks of gannets dive bombing baitfish and even a flock of little penguins; unfortunately I was having issues with the camera so I didn't get any photos. The guy I was fishing with got a small tuna though.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That is extremely badass! Were you on a pedal or paddle yak?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Guys:

New from zman, coming out at ICAST. A small, buoyant, nearly indestructible tube designed to work on an external jighead and spiral on the fall? Sign me the gently caress up.

I am going to catch all the loving smallmouth. All of them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

tesilential posted:

That is extremely badass! Were you on a pedal or paddle yak?

Paddle. The guy I was fishing with has a Hobie PA 14 but he's done a few modifications to the mirage drive and gets along a fair bit faster than a typical PA. He did 39km in a single day, probably similar on the second day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Mukulu posted:

Try circle hooks (so you don't need to set the hook) or larger hooks.