Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

look at that old fat dude go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Odds on Tony dnfing a few more races and missing by a point

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

zero

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

exploding mummy posted:

Smoke has looked like old Smoke the last couple weeks. He may DNF a couple times but he's solid enough to make it with the combination of how he's running and Smith, Scott, Ragan, Mears, Cassill, Bowyer, and Danica directly ahead of him in the standings.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
lol that last corner. Denny "I'm gonna pull over and let Stewart win so NASCAR gets headlines' Hamlin.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you think Hamlin pulled over you prolly have an undiagnosed head injury

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

VikingSkull posted:

if you think Hamlin pulled over you prolly have an undiagnosed head injury

This is correct. I can't imagine a professional driver in any series ever taking a dive so someone else can win.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Oh he tried to make it look accidental, but I can't imagine a second-place driver with the dominant car being all smiles in his post-race interview after losing the race in the final corner. He knew what a win would mean to Stewart, and he hosed it up in turn 7.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

This is correct. I can't imagine a professional driver in any series ever taking a dive so someone else can win.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

anotherblownsave posted:

I also can't imagine anyone on the internet is a retarded conspiracy theorist

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For the first time in 21 years as a race fan, the driver I call my favorite in Sprint Cup wins a race and it wasn't Jeff Gordon.

Fun being emotionally invested in a finish again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anybody here been to Daytona since the renovations? I usually go infield, but since I have some extra cash those new renovated grandstands look worth it to me. Looks a hell of a lot better for rain, much more space to hang and wait it out under the stands now. If anybody has been I'd love to hear how it was.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

https://twitter.com/LASTCARonBROCK/status/747204994445639680

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

leica posted:

Anybody here been to Daytona since the renovations? I usually go infield, but since I have some extra cash those new renovated grandstands look worth it to me. Looks a hell of a lot better for rain, much more space to hang and wait it out under the stands now. If anybody has been I'd love to hear how it was.

Haven't been in the stands but the whole setup is pretty dang nice

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Necromancer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Haven't been in the stands but the whole setup is pretty dang nice

Yeah from what I've seen on the website it looks great. Was not impressed at all the last time I was in the stands, but it looks like a huge improvement. I was hoping to get a before/after comparison from someone that has been in the stands before to kinda get a feel for what I should do, but I think I'll give it a shot either way it looks that good.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

leica posted:

Last year's rain delay was definitely roomier than previous ones. Plenty of space under the stands. Wider seats and cup holders are a nice plus. You don't feel crammed in like the old stands. Biggest downside of the new stands imo is the bathrooms. Bring back the troughs so I can get in and out asap none of these drat urinals. Just sit far enough up that you're out of the splash zone at the finish.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Ungratek posted:

Two years in a row a driver comes back from injury and wins at Sonoma

Obviously only a coincidence.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

fuseshock posted:

Obviously only a coincidence.

you'd figure if they were going for that angle they would've at least mentioned Kyle doing it last year once

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfXgu37iyI

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

leica posted:

I'm shocked at the number of seats still available. I haven't been there since the project was completed, but from two races in partially-completed Daytona Rising (482, 473, both last year):

The good:
-Wider seats, concourses, and cupholders are nice features. The only problem with the concourses is that the floors are smooth concrete- use extreme caution if it's wet.
-Escalators are a dream come true, especially the higher you go. There are still lines for the elevators.
-Apparently there's WiFi now, which is nice if you need it and it works (which it doesn't in the upper bowl at Nationwide Arena; YMMV).
-TV monitors throughout the concourses allow you to keep an eye on what's going on if you have to leave your seat.

The mixed:
-They ditched the section and seat numbering system honoring drivers in favor of a more stadium-traditional 100, 300, and 400 level numbering system. Sitting in Petty Y had a charm to it, but finding 480 vs. 402 makes sense in its own right. Wish there could've been a compromise, but that's me being picky.

The bad:
-The bathroom situation is awful. They downsized them to create additional, unnecessarily large concession space and went from troughs to urinals. A trip to the men's room used to be easily completed under caution because you could pack 30 guys shoulder to shoulder to drain the snake; now, with like 7 purty urinals, the best bet is to haul rear end once the caution comes out.
-There are only, at most, two escalators per injector and, naturally, everybody wants to ride the escalator out after the race. I've heard the escalators are also prone to breaking down- I saw it myself after the February NXS race last year and another friend saw it during Speedweeks this year. The backup is walking, which is faster, but:
-The staircases are dual gauge until you get to the bottom, at which point some retard decided to put a single lane gate and it jams up.
-The prices are still slightly inflated. Not so much where I'm sitting, but down low. $130 for the 100 level Kyle Larson 3D meet-n-greet experience seats with the free racecar part souvenir? No, thank you. (e- You can sit in Section 370 or 470 for $120. So, you can have "kinda high" or "really high" for the same money, but less money than sitting where nobody really should want to. :wtc:)
-I just remembered they crunched up the DIS sign instead of leaving it where it loving was or putting it in a museum. God damnit.

Much of your opinion will ride on the perception on what attending a race is supposed to be. If part of the charm is grungy grandstands with troughs in bathrooms and walks up staircases to get to your seats, you might be disappointed. If you want nice and new, squeaky clean, Social AreasTM* (I still don't get the point. Did the designers think there was going to be halftime?), and an experience intended to rival an NFL stadium, you'll be in good shape. The upper levels of the stands weren't awful before, but the facelift is visually appealing. I won't get to explore the completed "stadium" until Friday, so I'm going off limited experience.

e- *I'm on the DIS site and what is the point of dropping $140 on a race ticket if you're going to go to the Busch Bar, sit on a barstool, and then go play cornhole while watching the race on a TV screen? :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/746922113785823233

Must...resist..."You're about as talented a driver as JWT" Tweet...

He used to wrestle for Nazareth high school, and now helps his Dad coach the Liberty high school (in nearby Bethlehem) wrestling team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Brian France hints at the possibility of multiple title sponsors for Cup next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWL-tSKfCA

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 27, 2016

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bridgestone Presents the ChampCar World Series Powered By Ford

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Brian France hints at the possibility of multiple title sponsors for Cup next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWL-tSKfCA

I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone that's been paying attention.

edit: Finished watching the Brian France vid. It was eye-opening to see how candid he was in shooting down some of the ideas. Whether or not you think he's full of poo poo is up to you, but there was a bit of real info to be gleaned from that vid (by me, a guy who doesn't hang on every column coming out of the top tier.)

theacox fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for all the info. I've gone a bunch of times, almost every race in the 90's but it was all camping in the infield back then, I did the stands once and hated it, although I was way too low to really see anything.

With the renovations and plenty of seats left (was surprised at that too) it's a good opportunity to take my son who's already been to an Indy race and loves racing, it will blow his mind the first time at Daytona I'm sure, I'll never forget the first time I went :)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

theacox posted:

I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone that's been paying attention.

edit: Finished watching the Brian France vid. It was eye-opening to see how candid he was in shooting down some of the ideas. Whether or not you think he's full of poo poo is up to you, but there was a bit of real info to be gleaned from that vid (by me, a guy who doesn't hang on every column coming out of the top tier.)

I expected him to be "All is excellent! Move along, nothing to see here", but he actually seems to be somewhat realistic in that weekday races, a road course in the Chase, and a primetime Daytona 500 probably aren't happening. You could see him touch on the idea of halftime before moving along.

I wonder if he's actually been humbled in the last few years. He conceded in that LA Times article NASCAR's arrogance has hurt it in recent years, especially with the CoT.

leica posted:

Thanks for all the info. I've gone a bunch of times, almost every race in the 90's but it was all camping in the infield back then, I did the stands once and hated it, although I was way too low to really see anything.

With the renovations and plenty of seats left (was surprised at that too) it's a good opportunity to take my son who's already been to an Indy race and loves racing, it will blow his mind the first time at Daytona I'm sure, I'll never forget the first time I went :)

I give credit to anybody who can camp in July Florida heat.

Ask about special pricing for your son, as I think there's a price break below a certain age. 300 or 400 level seats will give you a great view. The first few sections left and right of the new tower in the 300 level are the former Earnhardt and Petty Tower seats. I think Petty's identification system started at Section Z and ended at K, with A-J available in the event of future expansion.

If you're interested in seeing the garage/FanZone from above, sit in the Turn 4 end. The cars are also lined up on that end of pit road before they roll off.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'll catch a poo poo ton of heat for his, but for some reason I just don't like Tony Stewart or Stewart Haas for that matter. (Harvick is alright I guess...helluva driver.)

I don't know why that is. I did like him a lot better during the JGR days for whatever reason, but I'm not a fan of the guy for whatever reason. It's something I can't quite put my finger on.

Perhaps it's because I really like the Hendrick stable? I also find the #smokewillrise #standwithsmoke hashtags pretty annoying. I don't know..he also seems like he's been miserable since 2011 or so.

Am in the minority for disliking a particular driver in that sense? I know Kyle, Kenseth, Keselowski and Kurt have their detractors, but I was always sorta "meh" on them. (well with the exception of what Kurt did to his ex...).

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 27, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Must be a K thing for you.

You can like or dislike whoever you want, it doesn't matter. There doesn't need to be a groupthink about it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wait, #smokewillrise is a thing? is he trying to be lewis hamilton

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pz0TX01wss

Keep being awesome, SRA, all you did was try to defend yourself and de-escalate in my book. Hopefully the penalties reflect that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd forgotten I'd set Tony Stewart as my favorite driver in the Fan Council's season-opening survey and got a "Congrats, your driver won!" email this morning.

Dang ol' feels good, man. :3:

FuzzySkinner posted:

Am in the minority for disliking a particular driver in that sense? I know Kyle, Kenseth, Keselowski and Kurt have their detractors, but I was always sorta "meh" on them. (well with the exception of what Kurt did to his ex...).

You're in the minority 'round these parts not liking Smoke, but everybody's entitled to their racing opinions. For me, beyond his abilities in any racecar he's driven and (mostly) likeable personality, the dude bought a racetrack and, despite being loaded and fully capable of handing duties off to other employees and sitting on the roof enjoying his toy, drives the water truck and graters to prepare the track for the race. Easy candidate for second all-time on my list.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Smoke!! C'mon big guy :dukedoge:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Smoke is a grumpy old man. Tweeting support for JWT was the straw that put him on my poo poo list.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Elephanthead posted:

Smoke is a grumpy old man. Tweeting support for JWT was the straw that put him on my poo poo list.

say what you want about JWT, but he came out swinging with no helmet on

that's decidedly something Smoke would respect

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

When SRA took his helmet off while he was sitting in his truck I was like "nooooo what are you doing?!!"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he was being an actual man

nothing gets my dander up quite like a mad race car driver gesticulating wildly at another driver with a helmet on, nut the gently caress up you pussy

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

wicka posted:

wait, #smokewillrise is a thing? is he trying to be lewis hamilton

It is, and it's annoying as gently caress.

CBJSprague24 posted:

You're in the minority 'round these parts not liking Smoke, but everybody's entitled to their racing opinions. For me, beyond his abilities in any racecar he's driven and (mostly) likeable personality, the dude bought a racetrack and, despite being loaded and fully capable of handing duties off to other employees and sitting on the roof enjoying his toy, drives the water truck and graters to prepare the track for the race. Easy candidate for second all-time on my list.

It's a weird thing.

I respect what the guy has done from a driving standpoint and from a racing biz. standpoint.

just lately I've found out I really can't stand how grumpy he's been. That may change some day, but he seems kinda miserable in cup right now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Fuzzy expects a competive champion who hadn't won a race in 3 years while getting hosed over by the France family, killed a man, and then cost himself his last chance at the Daytona 500 in a freak accident to be happy all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

gret posted:

When SRA took his helmet off while he was sitting in his truck I was like "nooooo what are you doing?!!"

I had a feeling something might happen given their history, NASCAR Discipline Procedures be damned.

I just didn't realize it was going to be THAT.

• Locked thread