Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i am not happy and not cool with random violence to people because you disagree with them, especially with the political turmoil of the last few days.

like there is a wave of violence and intimidation going on against Poles and anyone who looks foreign going on in the UK right now and seeing anyone celebrate violence makes me sick to my stomach at the parallel.

bleh.

Beating up a Polish person for being Polish and beating up a Nazi for their Nazi ideals are way different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i am not happy and not cool with random violence to people because you disagree with them, especially with the political turmoil of the last few days.

like there is a wave of violence and intimidation going on against Poles and anyone who looks foreign going on in the UK right now and seeing anyone celebrate violence makes me sick to my stomach at the parallel.

bleh.

On the other hand Cable Street

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yes, infringe any rights as long as it gets guns out of people's hands.

Sounds like a good plan.

Agree. Infringe all rights as long as they're gun rights. Make it a felony to exist in the US, then commute all sentences, then get rid of the law. Boom, we're all felons and ineligible to possess guns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

nutranurse posted:

Beating up a Polish person for being Polish and beating up a Nazi for their Nazi ideals are way different.

Speaking of, I wonder how a Polish person would react to that equivalency.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
lol, Nazis trying to claim that rally as their victory because they stabbed a few people, despite every video I see shows the skinheads getting hit in the head with various blunt objects multiple times

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

bleh.

Whoa, being Polish isn't as bad as being a fascist, dude!

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Whoa, being Polish isn't as bad as being a fascist, dude!

It's almost as though all the concern trolling about violence itt isn't really well thought out.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The goal of civil society should be to make the standard of living good enough that no one says to themselves "Hmm but what if I was in a better place than [theoretical underclass]?"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RZA Encryption posted:

You'd probably have to prove in court that the speech was the reason for lack of prosecution. Maybe the cops were just too busy that day. 🙃

You really shouldn't be okay with this kind of thing, no matter how horrifying the speech in question.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Deteriorata posted:

Pretty sure it was $5 per day. Also, in his later years Ford allegedly said paying his workers well was a huge mistake.

He also worked his son to death, Ford kinda lost his poo poo later in life.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

He also worked his son to death, Ford kinda lost his poo poo later in life.

Historically, how many leftist stances have directly ended up with more dead leftists than "pretty sure we can legitimize the idea of violent mobs as long as it's only against bad guys"? I mean, I'm sure there are some, just wondering how high on the list it is.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Beat the poo poo out of Nazis every day.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

You really shouldn't be okay with this kind of thing, no matter how horrifying the speech in question.

Nah, I think Nazism has earned itself a special exception to being treated civilly. They don't get to be treated as just an alternative viewpoint. Would you feel better if we amended some laws to say "note: this does not apply to Nazis, gently caress those guys."?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
disclaimer: I've owned like eight Ford cars

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah it's ok to beat up Nazis since they're actively trying to remove the rights of not Nazis.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Paradoxish posted:

Nazis should always have their faces acquainted with the pavement. Civil discourse with them is not possible, and they are in fact scum.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why stop at beating them up?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Honestly I can understand the desire to punch a Nazi's lights out and I certainly find it harder to feel empathy when it happens to them then when it happens to other groups. That said, we should not make a space within our political ideology where in violence towards a specific group is acceptable. Deciding that one particular group is so vile/rotten that the normal rules of behavior do not apply to them is exactly how nasty poo poo starts. Once you have a target that violence is socially acceptable for, you will without a doubt attract people into your movement who will drive things into terrible places. It will never ever stop with just one group.

I can understand the violence directed against Neo-Nazi's today, and I'll not lie that there's a certain catharsis in seeing it happen. But I also want the people who hurt the Nazis to face the full consequences of the law. I also stand against their use of violence.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 27, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

disclaimer: I've owned like eight Ford cars

I drive a BMW and a Mercedes :gonk:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Fascist have proven over and over again that if you let them get into power peacefully they will kill anyone on their poo poo list no matter how much they protected the rights of the fascists. Bashing the fash is self defense.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The fascists are actively counting on you to use non-violence, which is why bashing the fash is okay

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don't care for fascists, me

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MC Nietzche posted:

It's almost as though all the concern trolling about violence itt isn't really well thought out.

I dont think you know what concern trolling is, and there's been way more celebration of violence than condemnation of it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

The fascists are actively counting on you to use non-violence, which is why bashing the fash is okay

You think they don't secretly want to fight some commie punks too? Attacks play into their narratives.

Mocking them non-violently is more useful and engages them within the framework you supposedly are supporting too.

Tuba dude > idiots with pepper spray

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thump! posted:

Nazis should always have their faces acquainted with the pavement. Civil discourse with them is not possible, and they are in fact scum.

Except I wasn't responding to whether or not fascists should have the poo poo kicked out of them, I was responding to whether the people doing the poo poo kicking should be charged. I'm not comfortable with cops making that kind of judgment and you shouldn't be either.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

The $5 a day wasn't really a salary - that's a common misconception. In reality, only half of it was regular pay. The other half was a bonus, only available to workers living up to Ford's ideal of the good and moral American life. That was enforced, too - Ford had a Sociological Department that would regularly inspect employees' homes to make sure that they were keeping things clean, that they didn't have any alcohol around, that they were married at the proper age to a proper woman, and so on. If the inspector didn't feel that you met those conditions, he'd revoke the bonus and your pay would be cut in half.

Also, the high pay wasn't out of a spirit of generosity or goodness to workers either. The fact of the matter is that Ford's hyper-capitalist assembly-line floor was far more miserable to work at than other factories of the time, and employees were constantly quitting or walking out or refusing to come into work, which impacted production heavily since the assembly line requires a fully-manned line. He gave that bonus because he was desperate to increase retention; in the year before he implemented the pay rise, yearly employee turnover was about 370%. His factories were so much more miserable to work at that he had to pay above market rates just to keep his employees.

Huh. This second paragraph is a part of the Ford mythology that they don't teach you in Detroit-area schools.

I've always been kind of curious about this, so I'll ask the thread: if there are "titans of industry" in your local history, what sorts of things do you learn about them, and what sorts of things are suppressed? For Henry Ford, we got the full push-pull of unions vs. "welfare capitalism," and my remembrance is that it was reasonably balanced... but we certainly didn't hear about the anti-semitism, and he was certainly painted as someone who had personal concerns for the workforce beyond the standard of the day but also did not have much interest in giving up any more than what would be necessary to recruit new people. So things like "he later regretted the $5 workday" and "he had to do the $5 workday because the whole workforce told him to gently caress himself" were definitely not in the curriculum.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

You know who else faced a struggle and imprisonment to express his views......

Lenin?

Mr Hootington posted:

Why stop at beating them up?

The innate benevolence of the non-fascist seeks to give them the opportunity to mend their ways as well as their bones.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Fascist have proven over and over again that if you let them get into power peacefully they will kill anyone on their poo poo list no matter how much they protected the rights of the fascists. Bashing the fash is self defense.

Is letting them gather in a park to play dress up and sing songs letting them into power? It's not like I feel all that sorry for the dipshits, but it just seems like bad policy to designate an group as a proper receptacle for violence in a society that's trying to get away from violence as an acceptable form of problem solving. Maybe I've just known a few former skin-heads who managed to turn their lives around and be decent people, and I don't like the idea that they could have never had that chance because someone looking for a fight figured bashing the fash was the way to get one with the least amount of social penalty. It's not like fascists are non-violent themselves; is it so much to ask that we let them hit first before bringing out the 2X4?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Except I wasn't responding to whether or not fascists should have the poo poo kicked out of them, I was responding to whether the people doing the poo poo kicking should be charged. I'm not comfortable with cops making that kind of judgment and you shouldn't be either.

But the judgement is pretty easy. Has the targeted group advocated for or actually committed genocide? If yes, go ahead and beat the poo poo out of them.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

RZA Encryption posted:

But the judgement is pretty easy. Has the targeted group advocated for or actually committed genocide? If yes, go ahead and beat the poo poo out of them.

Not sure if our society could withstand open season on all white Americans.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

AMERICAN REBEL: America's Patriotic Brand

Does. Not. loving. Compute.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Killer robot posted:

Historically, how many leftist stances have directly ended up with more dead leftists than "pretty sure we can legitimize the idea of violent mobs as long as it's only against bad guys"? I mean, I'm sure there are some, just wondering how high on the list it is.

Uh, basically all of them? Because leftists never were the first ones starting street fighting gangs in any of those countries, so that one has ended up with 0 leftists, by not happening.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

there wolf posted:

Is letting them gather in a park to play dress up and sing songs letting them into power? It's not like I feel all that sorry for the dipshits, but it just seems like bad policy to designate an group as a proper receptacle for violence in a society that's trying to get away from violence as an acceptable form of problem solving. Maybe I've just known a few former skin-heads who managed to turn their lives around and be decent people, and I don't like the idea that they could have never had that chance because someone looking for a fight figured bashing the fash was the way to get one with the least amount of social penalty. It's not like fascists are non-violent themselves; is it so much to ask that we let them hit first before bringing out the 2X4?

Very much this post. We're all animals and it's the laws and desire to seek out ways to address issues in a civilized way that sort of keeps the whole civilization thing going. Everything about this is atrocious and anyone thumping their chest for antifa cred should take a long hard look at themselves. I usually just lurk but seeing so many people get their cheer on for some violence if it seems like the target is acceptable is really pretty disturbing and I'm wondering if I'm in a minority for feeling this way. If everyone had just surrounded these people and gave them a right round of embarrassment with some 1st-A back the situation would have come out with a lot less stabbing and blood and head-whackings. The views that these individuals were espousing is vile, yeah - but please don't forget that we're all idiots and do some pretty stupid poo poo at various points in our lives. I'm not defending anyone in this post - but it's really icky to see the multiple posters who jump to get in front of each other to cheerlead violence.

(Edit: I'm not trying to say the fascist folk are not being very supremely stupid - they are.)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nazi: hmm, these people have been synonymous with hatred and vilified my entire life. They killed millions recently enough to where survivors are still alive. I'd like to join them and march to show others that this is an acceptable belief system.

People in this thread: it would be an injustice to harm this person based on their political beliefs.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Violence is not supposed to be the cure all to the existence of horrible people. The use of violence against others because of their views is an aspect of facism in and of itself, is it not?

Also, I am deeply uncomfortable with making Nazis actual victims.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Nazi: hmm, these people have been synonymous with hatred and vilified my entire life. They killed millions recently enough to where survivors are still alive. I'd like to join them and march to show others that this is an acceptable belief system.

People in this thread: it would be an injustice to harm this person based on their political beliefs.

All strawmanning aside..I get that some people want to have a straight up war with the 1488 crowd, but you'll have to excuse me if there's some people out there that would rather not see stabbings/mace and fighting in the streets. Totally fine with anti-demonstrating by the way - and making them to feel like fools. Just not going to be one of the violence fans. Sorry?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah, what Sunset and there wolf said. I think that if anything we need more safeguards against fascist ideas gaining any sort of political power whatsoever (hello, Donald Trump), but assaulting them for displaying their opinions in public gets it more or less backwards.

Fascism should be seen as some sort of societal non sequitur, something so inimical to our democracy that putting it into any sort of public policy or party platform is an utter non-starter, but you should still be able to hold a sign for it in public. And if someone takes a swing at you for it? Sure, if that's what they want to use their 'get arrested for assault' card for, that's their prerogative. I don't think they should, but in the end I'm more sympathetic to it than to most reasons for assaulting people.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
"lol just make fun of them and make them feel like fools" :downs:

Nazis don't feel like fools jesus loving christ they lack any form of self awareness

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are you guys talking about neo-Nazis now or time machine Nazis from the past or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

"lol just make fun of them and make them feel like fools" :downs:

Nazis don't feel like fools jesus loving christ they lack any form of self awareness

Yeah, "make everyone else see what fools they are" is probably more appropriate

• Locked thread