Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Turtlicious posted:

Hold down the right click, you fire out the icicles faster then you'd think. You're shorter then most heroes, and theirs a slight drop to her shots, and hit boxes are very generous for headshots, so aim up a bit. Use Icewall before shooting, they'll stand still when they back up into it.
Thanks :). If nothing else, these weekly brawls are great at forcing players our of their comfort zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Junkrat Talk.

A friend of mine said "Hey Junkrat isn't always the best choice for every map man..." So I played support for a bit, because I think he just wanted to stop playing Lucio.

BUT... Is that true? Where does Junkrat fall behind and how? I like Junkrat on Payload, because I can defend the payload really well, and his traps are so mobile. I like him on KotH and CP for the same reason, I can zone people out, and keep them off the objective to attack while on Offense, and I can do the same on defense. I am not sure where Junkrat would be terrible, but it would strike me as absurd if Blizzard actually made a hero that's always a #1 pick on any map.

i've been wondering this myself honestly, but i think the answer is, he's a great character and you can play him any time, but... well, there is no but. he's just really well balanced.

i think he is still better at defense than offense. he's not gonna be in every game in competitive/ranked mode cause he has to compete with pure dps classes like pharah and s76, which if you have any aiming skill will outshine him. pharah being in every game now sucks for junkrat especially cause he has a real hard time taking her out of the sky.

but all that being said, nobody should ever yell at you for bringing a junkrat. even a bad junkrat is better than a bad hanzo or widow.

at least that's what i tell myself, as i stare in sorrow at my 39% junkrat winrate :smith:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

the only balance changes we've seen have been nerfs of a very sledgehammer variety
I really don't think McCree and Widowmaker were nerfed, they were balanced so that they couldn't cheese kills.

Bolow posted:

How are you supposed to develop a counterplay option that can counteract a 2 second 720 damage burst? The Torb nerf is solely because console players can't aim for poo poo
They could buff console options with keyboard and mouse support.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Junkrat Talk.

A friend of mine said "Hey Junkrat isn't always the best choice for every map man..." So I played support for a bit, because I think he just wanted to stop playing Lucio.

BUT... Is that true? Where does Junkrat fall behind and how? I like Junkrat on Payload, because I can defend the payload really well, and his traps are so mobile. I like him on KotH and CP for the same reason, I can zone people out, and keep them off the objective to attack while on Offense, and I can do the same on defense. I am not sure where Junkrat would be terrible, but it would strike me as absurd if Blizzard actually made a hero that's always a #1 pick on any map.

Usually if there's any hero that's above him and far away, junkrat struggles to hit them. Pharas can counter him pretty hard if they just stay away from his mine range and hit a couple of direct rockets. He's situationally pretty good but also pretty bad sometimes.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bolow posted:

How are you supposed to develop a counterplay option that can counteract a 2 second 720 damage burst? The Torb nerf is solely because console players can't aim for poo poo

Well, that's about how long Zarya's shield lasts, so there's a start.

Obviously, it would be a more difficult, complex and nuanced change than just swapping out a number for a lower number. It would likely impact multiple characters and require a hefty amount of experimentation and playtesting. Still, that's the kind of thing Blizz said they would be doing, and I was really excited to hear that they were planning to put that level of dedication into balancing the game in a more advanced way.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mechanism Eight posted:

Hanzo's a cheating scumbag. Now's not the time to be making acute puns.

Any Mei players want to chime in on how to reliably land shots with her alt fire? I've spent some time trying her on this week's brawl and I'm aghast at just how poorly I play

Lower your sensitivity

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fadam posted:

What an awful post.

Hanzo main located

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

Junkrat Talk.

If you can reliably hit directs with his grenades so that you can do grenade + mine combos in close then he's pretty good all the time and you shouldn't feel bad about playing him.

His trap is realllly annoying when I play tank

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mechanism Eight posted:

Hanzo's a cheating scumbag. Now's not the time to be making acute puns.

Any Mei players want to chime in on how to reliably land shots with her alt fire? I've spent some time trying her on this week's brawl and I'm aghast at just how poorly I play
They're to my knowledge classed as projectiles but the only projectiles with damage fall-off, so treat it like a gun rather than a shuriken or arrow.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Whale posted:

Usually if there's any hero that's above him and far away, junkrat struggles to hit them. Pharas can counter him pretty hard if they just stay away from his mine range and hit a couple of direct rockets. He's situationally pretty good but also pretty bad sometimes.

So if Pharah is on the enemy team, he is bad is what you're saying? Or are there other times he's bad as well?

I have a 52% Win rate with him, and I'm not sure how I match up?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Turtlicious-1489

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

wit posted:

I really don't think McCree and Widowmaker were nerfed, they were balanced so that they couldn't cheese kills.

It is a nerf since McCree no longer has a favorable matchup against Genji

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Junkhog, Pharah, and Soldier 76 are all at least decent in almost every situation, and they are also very fun.

Concidentally those are the three characters I play the most, but there's nothing wrong with that!! :mad:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Are you getting wrecked by the other team, can't ult effectively and have less than gold/silver medals? Consider switching.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Just played 2 games and got both potg's. Feelsgoodman.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone post your Master Overwatch, so I can compare myself to you.

You know you want too, it'd E-dick waving.

Dooooo it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/mcvey-1629 get some

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Turtlicious posted:

Dooooo it.

i dont think Master OW tracks custom games, and since most good players are scrimming or playing in tournaments, it doesnt mean too much

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It's also supposed to be balanced by matchmaking so if you have 20 eliminations per game average and so does someone else, that doesn't necessarily mean you're anywhere close in skill level.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Turtlicious posted:

Dooooo it.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Croaker-1710

If you consistently hover around 52% does that mean your mmr slowly goes up?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What is the top-tier skin for D.Va? I really dig the Junebug mech, but I hate the hairdo it puts on D.Va, and the Junker skins are pretty cool but the colors are about as boring as possible.

I've got 2k gold saved up, so I'm also weighing Safari Winston, either of the Mercy legendaries, Gundam Pharah, and I dunno, Goth Zarya? She's the one I actually like playing the most, but her skins all kinda suck.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

It is a nerf since McCree no longer has a favorable matchup against Genji
He can't be a good at long range, fatal close range and anti-flank, and anti-tank. Nobody wants to play with the kid who's power is all the powers you guys have.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phenotype posted:

What is the top-tier skin for D.Va? I really dig the Junebug mech, but I hate the hairdo it puts on D.Va, and the Junker skins are pretty cool but the colors are about as boring as possible.

I've got 2k gold saved up, so I'm also weighing Safari Winston, either of the Mercy legendaries, Gundam Pharah, and I dunno, Goth Zarya? She's the one I actually like playing the most, but her skins all kinda suck.

scavenger and carbon fiber > junebug line

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Countblanc posted:

i dont think Master OW tracks custom games, and since most good players are scrimming or playing in tournaments, it doesnt mean too much

I haven't gotten a loot box in two weeks because of this D:

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
D.Va skins are pretty underwhelming imho. I hope they add some different mech suits.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

nerve posted:

I haven't gotten a loot box in two weeks because of this D:

it's seriously loving insane that custom games don't give even partial exp.

e: tho it is funny seeing people like Enigma being level 13 or whatever and being in tournament grand finals

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

Well, that's about how long Zarya's shield lasts, so there's a start.

Obviously, it would be a more difficult, complex and nuanced change than just swapping out a number for a lower number. It would likely impact multiple characters and require a hefty amount of experimentation and playtesting. Still, that's the kind of thing Blizz said they would be doing, and I was really excited to hear that they were planning to put that level of dedication into balancing the game in a more advanced way.

The length of Zarya's shield wouldn't do poo poo since it pops in half a fan. You're trying to pull some :smuggo: gotcha bullshit with what Blizzard said in regards to balance and you picked quite possibly the dumbest loving examples to toot your horn over

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Grammaton posted:

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Croaker-1710

Win percentage is apparently irrelevant. What matters is how you do in each game, medals and stuff.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

wit posted:

He can't be a good at long range, fatal close range and anti-flank, and anti-tank. Nobody wants to play with the kid who's power is all the powers you guys have.

Yeah but killing squishy flankers is supposed to be his main job and he almost always loses to Genji now. He shouldn't be so strong against tanks but that's why the nerf failed, it over nerfed him against flankers and while he's still very good against tanks.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Dooooo it.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/shared/1b5d59130d103a5d

Slowly but surely dragging my W/L rate with Zarya up to 60% :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Grammaton posted:

D.Va skins are pretty underwhelming imho. I hope they add some different mech suits.

If they had a skin like Junker or B.Va but in pink like the default I'd be on that so fast

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

custom games and the brawl don't get tracked

those comp players do have some time in quick play but it's not a lot. you can find them easy through the esports tab, plus the compare thing suggests some random high level players to compare yourself to so you can feel bad about yourself

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

So if Pharah is on the enemy team, he is bad is what you're saying? Or are there other times he's bad as well?

I have a 52% Win rate with him, and I'm not sure how I match up?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Turtlicious-1489

It's very map dependent. A lot of heroes can shoot you from outside your effective range like 76, mccree, or widow but Phara can do that no matter what map it is. It's what makes her good against junkrat. You will probably have to trust other people to deal with her.

It also depends on where the other team chooses to fight you. If you're on offense on Hollywood, but nobody on defense is taking the roofs after the first point, then you can still do well on garbagerodent.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Countblanc posted:

it's seriously loving insane that custom games don't give even partial exp.

e: tho it is funny seeing people like Enigma being level 13 or whatever and being in tournament grand finals

I think India has enough game based cottage industries without overwatch levelling farms popping up, especially when you consider that level rewards technically have a purchase price on them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Turtlicious posted:

Dooooo it.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/teagone-1545
I play lots of Lucio, am starting to play a bit of Mercy. Waiting for the DVa buff before I start playing her more.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Grammaton posted:

I don't necessarily think so. Maybe you win a lot of games against low-skill players but tend to lose when it matches you higher.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

feel free to bask in my awfulness

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Kerrzhe-1984

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Main Paineframe posted:

The angle of the scatter arrows seems to depend on the angle that the initial arrow hit at. If it hits the wall/floor at a low angle, the scatter will tend to go basically the same way the original arrow went. If it hits the wall/floor straight-on, it'll tend to reflect the arrows back the way they came. In general, anyway. So if you're at the same level as someone, aiming a scatter arrow to hit the ground just a bit in front of them should get them with pretty much all the arrows, which should instakill basically any character.

Okay

So how do I avoid being on the receiving end of this, short of waiting for scatter arrow to go on cooldown?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Macaluso posted:

If they had a skin like Junker or B.Va but in pink like the default I'd be on that so fast

Yeah, this. It would be awesome if the Junker skins came in any color besides dull orange and muted green, really. I have the same issue with the Pharah skin that comes with the Origins edition -- it's not a bad skin, but it's this dull camo brown color that's so boring that I'd rather use one of the 75g color tints on her default costume.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

wit posted:

Right now though he's not particularly good at long range, he's not especially good at close range, he sucks vs everyone except Tracer in anti-flank (his flash is being used as tank crowd control since he's so bad at anti-flank), and lol no tank should ever lose to a McCree now you have to be aggressively bad.

This doesn't mean weakening FTH wasn't a good thing, but IMHO they did it the wrong way/halfheartedly. A 3s cooldown on a 50x6 FTH with strong vertical spread only and his minimum LMB set to 50. It'd also be cool if his flashbang didn't stun but disabled activated abilities (Shift and E). The biggest issue when dealing with Tracer/Genji/Reaper/Mei, etc is that they can escape or counter McCree, I'd definitely trade the annoying stun away for being able to make them defenseless for a longer period. This is also mechanically more focused on dealing with flankers and supports compared to tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

wit posted:

I think India has enough game based cottage industries without overwatch levelling farms popping up, especially when you consider that level rewards technically have a purchase price on them.

i'm absolutely heartbroken that some broken human being is going to bot custom games for 10-20% exp gain