Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Marvel and DC's constant relaunches really has hosed with us. Used to as long as a book kept selling it never got reset. A story ends, a new one begins, new creative team or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

No doubt, I'm more saying that that was the prime moment to just call it a new volume and reset the numbering.

It's that it's called issue 35, a direct sequel to issue 34, and not something that ignores previous canon that's the issue.

Because DC doesn't like to do that when it should (Batgirl, Wonder Woman) except for the times when it does anyway (Deathstroke, Teen Titans, Earth 2).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gail Simone used to post here, around the time she was doing Atom

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Well yeah, why anyone would yearn for the horseshit she was shoveling would baffle me but before the first issue dropped her fanbase was doing the butthurt mambo.
I don't recall it being that big of an uproar. Gail left because she was having issues with the way editorial was pushing her to go darker. Ironically not long after she left we got Mark Doyle, who is basically considered the best editor at DC current.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lotus circle posted:

I don't recall it being that big of an uproar. Gail left because she was having issues with the way editorial was pushing her to go darker. Ironically not long after she left we got Mark Doyle, who is basically considered the best editor at DC current.

Eh, Doyle is no Eddie Berganza that's for sure. That guy can edit some books!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxx, as far as Batman & Robin Eternal it is one storyline that really happens in the middle of a lot of other books' runs, which makes it hard to say when you should read it. Like there is a point in Grayson, Batgirl, and maybe Robin Son Of Batman where the characters acknowledge that Batman is now a dude in a robot suit and Bruce is gone, so you've got to read it after Endgame but also after the beginning of Superheavy but not before the end of Superheavy, and due to the timing on the shipping there's stuff towards the end of Batgirl that obviously happens before the ending of B&RE but it came out after.

Robin War is pretty obvious because there are issues in both Grayson and R:SoB that have the characters basically say "Ok, time to go back to Gotham and deal with this!" with a blurb telling you what issue to read next. I want to say B&RE and Robin War probably happen around the same time because Dick and Damian are both globetrotting around the world in their respective books but come back to Gotham temporarily for the crossover, and all the Robins and Batgirls are hanging out together while Bruce is gone. Robin War is not great though.

And yes nobody was reading Gail Simone's Batgirl because it was bad and forgettable. A lot of people were still pissed about Barbara being Batgirl again and Cass and Steph ceasing to exist, and anybody who didn't care about that was turned off by the fact that they were just bad comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I don't recall it being that big of an uproar.

I do but I guess I follow the right folks on Twitter. IIRC, the real big deal was about them announcing a new creative team before telling her she was off, effectively canning her without the decency of a heads-up. Or maybe they just fired her with no warning? It was some stupid poo poo, you know S.O.P for DC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah there was a good stretch there where DC pretty much couldn't go a full 24 hours with some really terrible behind the scenes story coming to light. Like Fialkov leaving DC after they asked him to kill John Stewart then him telling people that and so people got mad and they decided to not kill him. It was a new editorial horror story all the time. And even for books people didn't necessarily care for like a Simone written Batgirl it was still just another instance of DC management being even worse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jason Todd gets a lot of poo poo but James Gordon, Jr. might legit be the worst Batman-adjacent character ever.

I finished reading the Batgirl of Burnside run up to Endgame and although I love the art, the totally changed canon while initially jarring is pretty interesting, and Batgirl's supporting cast is pretty cool, the absolutely cloying writing and #teens #Millenials #just2015things-ness of the book is really offputting. It feels like a message in a bottle comic that's already eye-rollingly dated barely a year since it came out and will only get worse the further it goes on. Although there are a lot of elements that are themselves interesting, it just feels like it's trying too goddamn hard to be current and my fave bae in a way that's kind of unnerving.

After getting Batgirl of Burnside talked up and raved about forever I was sorta expecting some amazing wondrous thing and it's just too cute and self-satisfied to be like this all-time classic over a good but already sort of dated comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
What years were these?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

What years were these?

I wanna say Simone and Fialkov were both in 2013? And then you had stuff like George Perez talking about how he couldn't wait to leave Superman because he didn't like editorial, and Andy Diggle who straight quit Action Comics for the same reasons right after he started. Stories like this were way too frequent at the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Jason Todd gets a lot of poo poo but James Gordon, Jr. might legit be the worst Batman-adjacent character ever.

I finished reading the Batgirl of Burnside run up to Endgame and although I love the art, the totally changed canon while initially jarring is pretty interesting, and Batgirl's supporting cast is pretty cool, the absolutely cloying writing and #teens #Millenials #just2015things-ness of the book is really offputting. It feels like a message in a bottle comic that's already eye-rollingly dated barely a year since it came out and will only get worse the further it goes on. Although there are a lot of elements that are themselves interesting, it just feels like it's trying too goddamn hard to be current and my fave bae in a way that's kind of unnerving.

After getting Batgirl of Burnside talked up and raved about forever I was sorta expecting some amazing wondrous thing and it's just too cute and self-satisfied to be like this all-time classic over a good but already sort of dated comic.

On one level you're right, but I said it at the time and I'll say it again, if you want comics to appeal to young people and especially young women, you go to where they are. It's why I roll my eyes when people bitch about Marguerite Bennet using tumblr stuff in her books. The audience that is being directly courted is EXACTLY the type of people who use hashtags in real life and are always on tumblr, Instagram and Snapchat and use Tinder for hookups.

I'll also say it eases back a smidge on those elements in the later issues because it's already established a brand.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To me, the gold standard of having a young-appealing series without feeling gimmicky, Gillen's YA, was able to strike the balance between having characters do stuff that feels reflective of the world in which characters actually live without going "Let's go to the EDM concert so we can SNAPCHAT our interactions and post them on INSTAGRAM, and maybe meet a cute guy or two on TINDER! #besties! So many baes!"

When Batgirl leans into the social networking dialog and "current" speak it feels so artificial and forced over naturalistic dialog, which defeats the whole purpose of including those lines in the first place.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

I wanna say Simone and Fialkov were both in 2013? And then you had stuff like George Perez talking about how he couldn't wait to leave Superman because he didn't like editorial, and Andy Diggle who straight quit Action Comics for the same reasons right after he started. Stories like this were way too frequent at the time.

God drat lol. Glad I checked out of DC just before this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never read Batgirl from Burnside stuff because I knew ahead of time that it wasn't something that would appeal to me. The way you describe it as feeling dated and trying too hard is exactly how I feel about Gillen's Young Avengers as well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Simone was canned once, mentioned it on Twitter and people complained. DC retracted and let her stay on. Then later on the new Batgirl costume was announced with new creative team. People were so in love with it that they forgot about Simone.
As for Fialkov, that sucked because I remember going to a con where he was pumped about writing Green Lantern Corps and then nadda.
Also feel free to check out clusterfuck that was Nu-52 Static and Voodoo for a good laugh at DC loving up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe people are only just now acknowledging who I am. I didn't even get a single "welcome back"! Pretty rude, yall.

No avatar means you're an unperson, sorry.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Toxxupation posted:

Hey, Year One and the Black Mirror are good. :colbert:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Maybe it's because I'm thirty four Goddamn years old now and I don't know how teenagers actually behave but I really liked Batgirl of Burnside. I went in knowing that it was for people half my age and accepted that there were going to be parts of it that didn't make any sense to me. The art is crazy nice, the supporting cast is solid, and the whole thing is really breezy and fun. The Endgame tie in is actually one of the best single issues I read last year. Definitely better than Endgame itself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

Maybe it's because I'm thirty four Goddamn years old now and I don't know how teenagers actually behave but I really liked Batgirl of Burnside. I went in knowing that it was for people half my age and accepted that there were going to be parts of it that didn't make any sense to me. The art is crazy nice, the supporting cast is solid, and the whole thing is really breezy and fun. The Endgame tie in is actually one of the best single issues I read last year. Definitely better than Endgame itself.

Also old over here, also loved BG of BS. And Gillen's YA. And Ms Marvel.

I'm really a teenage girl I guess.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Madkal posted:

Simone was canned once, mentioned it on Twitter and people complained. DC retracted and let her stay on. Then later on the new Batgirl costume was announced with new creative team. People were so in love with it that they forgot about Simone.
As for Fialkov, that sucked because I remember going to a con where he was pumped about writing Green Lantern Corps and then nadda.
Also feel free to check out clusterfuck that was Nu-52 Static and Voodoo for a good laugh at DC loving up.

Whatever happened to Static Shock? I loved that cartoon as a kid. Can he be a Teen Titan or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Whatever happened to Static Shock? I loved that cartoon as a kid. Can he be a Teen Titan or something?

Maybe. DC and Milestone worked out a new deal a while back. But Will Smith's fuckstick son is rumored to be in the running for a live action version so that will no doubt stink him up in the comics as well.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Reading the brief blurb on the Wikipedia page makes it sound like his book was a shitshow. Cancelled after 8 issues? Did it really sell that poorly?

One of his villains is named Rubberband Man. How can you not want to publish Static comics?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Reading the brief blurb on the Wikipedia page makes it sound like his book was a shitshow. Cancelled after 8 issues? Did it really sell that poorly?

One of his villains is named Rubberband Man. How can you not want to publish Static comics?

His N52 series was a mess, issues between the writer, artist and editor. It spent entirely too much time on the subplot of his sister having been duplicated and trying to determine which was real and then they never sort that out before it was canceled.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

He's good in Black Mirror.

Also The Joker's Daughter is worse anyway.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

SonicRulez posted:

Turns out putting out 52 titles is really hard. OMAC, Men of War, Hawk and Dove, Mister Terrific, and Blackhawks all also only lasted 8 issues out of the original 52, and I think I'd really enjoy some of those books under the right circumstances.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah Toxx. Read Black Mirror if you haven't. JG Jr was a much scarier character there than anyone Snyder tried to make scary in Batman.
Also Batwoman Elegy if you didn't back with all that late-old-universe Dickbat stuff. Especially with her all up in Detective.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 27, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Despite pretty much everyone else getting a reboot someone decided that Static should keep his continuity which lead to a super confusing first issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wasn't part of the issue of Simone getting canned that she wasn't actually told directly? Or am I thinking of something else?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I want to say she found out via the solicits or something, yeah.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

TTG had the most annoying opening music imaginable and had no massively successful film franchise to ride in on.
I just wanted to say that I definitely do not own more than one Puffy AmiYumi CD, nope, no sir, ha ha!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 27, 2016

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Travis343 posted:

I want to say she found out via the solicits or something, yeah.

She says email in the tweet.

http://www.themarysue.com/gail-simone-off-batgirl/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I just wanted to that I definitely do not own more than one Puffy AmiYumi CD, nope, no sir, ha ha!

Did you watch their cartoon tho. That was a surprisingly good cartoon.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Did you watch their cartoon tho. That was a surprisingly good cartoon.
I did not. Because once again, I am definitely not an adult male who enjoys Puffy AmiYumi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

I did not. Because once again, I am definitely not an adult male who enjoys Puffy AmiYumi.

How much of it did you not watch?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't think I've ever believed in a romance less than I believe in the Barbara Gordon/Luke Fox romance.

Batgirl of Burnside is doing a lot of things right (especially after the first arc which stops pushing on the TUMBLR TWITTER HASHTAGS BAE button so hard), but the sheer non-entity that is Luke Fox and the total ludicrousness that Babs would fall for him, combined with the insane overemphasis on it, makes for a pretty difficult comic to read at points. Their relationship just feels so, so fake.

Like the Luke Fox/Barbara Gordon relationship is somehow worse than a Jason Todd/Barbara Gordon relationship, which they kept teasing in Batman Eternal. At least that had something there, Batwing is such a non-entity it feels completely manufactured.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 28, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Barbara Gordon's true love was Dick Grayson, but his true love was Starfire. Barbara had to settle for friend zoning Ted Kord.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I don't think I've ever believed in a romance less than I believe in the Barbara Gordon/Luke Fox romance.
Whatever this amounts to, it still has to be better than Barbara/Tim in the Arkham games.

Gaz-L posted:

How much of it did you not watch?
I actually haven't see any of it!, I just know it was a thing at one time.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 28, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

redbackground posted:

Whatever this amounts to, it's still has to be better than Barbara/Tim in the Arkham games.

I actually haven't see any of it!, I just know it was a thing at one time.

That was so weird and out of nowhere. I definitely played the hell out of Knight, but reflection on it makes me wonder if I did that out of some kind of obligation after all the cash spent. It made some really confusing decisions. Granted, I'm also salty about noticing Widow wearing an arrow necklace during Cap 2 only for Avengers 2 to be like HERE'S VELMA WITH 3 KIDS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm just super tired of all the orchestrations to not do Dick/Babs. They're obviously the one true relationship or whatever and we haven't seen them paired up since...gently caress, over a decade now at least. I'd even be fine with them definitively putting the whole Dick/Barbara thing to bed if there wasn't some issue of Batwing or Grayson or Batgirl or whatever that doesn't have either Dick or Barbara staring at the other and sighing at what might've been or one confessing their true love to the other juuuuuuuuuust late enough so the other has to sadly turn them down with some variation of "The timing isn't right".

The amount of will they/won't they with Dick and Barbara has just gotten obnoxious and they need to pull the loving trigger on it or stop bringing it up.