Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
This LP made me buy Disgaea 5 (I don't have a Vita, so no D2), so I was already spoiled on Ladyharl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

It's already been said a couple time, but you really do have to give Laharl props here. First of all, who all remembers his fear of sexy women? Yeah, he's literaly his own worst nightmare right now. Secondly, how well do you think YOU would handle getting hit by Rule 63 magic? The fact we haven't seen him freak out, or even something to suggest he freaked out, is impressive, in my opinion.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Speaking of colors, is Sicily the first angel whose eyes are red? It seems like all the angels who had visible irises were all blue-eyed, and it was a big deal that all the blue turned to red for Flonne.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

Speaking of colors, is Sicily the first angel whose eyes are red? It seems like all the angels who had visible irises were all blue-eyed, and it was a big deal that all the blue turned to red for Flonne.

To be fair, she's presumably half-demon.

EDIT: vvv isn't Adell's demonic "species" explicitly a shapeshifter of some kind?

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 20, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

She has round ears though.
On the other hand, Adell is 100% demon and he believes so much he's human his eyes are blue.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

To be fair, she's presumably half-demon.

EDIT: vvv isn't Adell's demonic "species" explicitly a shapeshifter of some kind?

Sicily's situation is quite complicated, we'll eventually have an explanation for how exactly she came to be that will either answer the question of what the hell she even is or possibly just raise even more questions on that front.

I 'think' so yeah, Adell's parents were certainly able to seem totally human when they were living in the village before fake Zenon invaded.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that at some point after Laharl's gender-bending issue is resolved and he's male again, there'll be a bill you can pass in the Dark Assembly to turn him back in to his female form. Probably not until the post-game, though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that at some point after Laharl's gender-bending issue is resolved and he's male again, there'll be a bill you can pass in the Dark Assembly to turn him back in to his female form. Probably not until the post-game, though.

I will confirm, you can also put Etna into Player 2 colors again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't know plotwise how you could make it work, but I want to see Laharl and Ladyharl arguing with each other. :allears:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't know plotwise how you could make it work, but I want to see Laharl and Ladyharl arguing with each other. :allears:

I like to think it would just be them agreeing about how great they are and complaining about the size of female!Laharl's breasts, until Etna and Flonne violently kill them both.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I like to think it would just be them agreeing about how great they are and complaining about the size of female!Laharl's breasts, until Etna and Flonne violently kill them both.

Sounds about right.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Wouldn't they have to fight over who was the overlord?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think they wouldn't mind taking turns, seeing as the other one is by definition exactly as handsome and awesome as themselves.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
They'd both try to delegate any non-asskicking jobs to the other until Etna winds up making the prinnies do it.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Ardeem posted:

They'd both try to delegate any non-asskicking jobs to the other until Etna winds up making the prinnies do it.

To be fair, that's not really any different from what usually ends up happening anyway.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hoping to update today, though my health is still pretty lovely so it could always slip. Good news is I've stopped coughing, bad news is coughing for like three weeks does a number on your muscles, which in turn leaves you tired as hell while they're trying to heal.

Oh and fair warning current plan is we're on vacation next week, so probably only one update during that span.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fourteen: Gatecrashers

We’re heading to yet another familiar location from the original game, the Sea of Gehenna.

All of this chapter’s maps are portions of the concert venue and they also all have a story scene.

Video- “Ticket Booth”

Watch

Look at that crowd of demons.
Big Brother! Hurry, the tickets are gonna sell out!
Why would I need a ticket?
Huh? Aren’t we going in?
I’m not here as a fan. I’m here to put that Lanzarote girl in her place!
Ummm, Prince…you might not wanna say that so loud…
And here they come…

Looks like we’ve got to deal with some lovely fans.

What? Who are you?
We are the Lanzarote Brigade!
We are a gathering of like-minded individuals who follow her around and protect her from harm, without her knowledge or consent!
Sounds like they’d be annoying…
Leave this place at once, you disgraceful person!
If you don’t, we’ll swarm your blog!
Ummm, I’m sorry, but I don’t have a blog.
You didn’t have to tell them that…
Hmph! drat weaklings…
If you wanna try to stop me, I’ll just have to beat the hell outta you!

This chapter the game really stops playing around, let’s get right into it.

That red area is super rude, it’s No Ranged and No Lifting. It does give some extra Defense, but No Ranged especially is nasty. There’s a yellow area that increases the Movement of the characters on it by one as well. We’re up against Zombies at first, with some Ninja and Monks backing them up. Monks are Star casters, by the by. You need to push yourself past the red area so you can get more than three people into the fray, though you could take advantage of the defense boost and use a line of Defending characters if you wanted to make this a grind.

Video- “Merchandise Area”

Watch

That just goes to show how nice of a person I am.
It looks like you were threatening them.
Anyway, there are way more demons inside the venue…
Look! They’re selling Lanza merchandise over there!
Hmph, so where is that idol anyway?

We encounter a crazy person.

That’s the legendary Lanza Soda Flavored Ice Cream Bar!?
Lanza took one bite of it and got sensitive teeth. It’s legendary!
Can you even call that Lanza merchandise?
Etna, I want an ice cream bar. Go get that one for me. Do whatever it takes, even if that means you have to kill for it.
Say no more.
S-Stop! That’s just wrong in so many ways!
Huh?
You…want to steal my ice cream bar!? It cost me 20,000 HL!
drat! Why would you even buy it then…?

Seriously. Legit a crazy person.

Why would yo do that?
That’s what being a fan is all about, Big Brother.
You won’t be able to joke around much longer. Come on out, comrades!
Whoa…! We’re surrounded…
Getting all worked up over ice cream… How childish…
Coming from you, that’s gotta hurt.
Listen up, everyone! Take these girls’ money and spend it on Lanza merchandise!

This is a very tricky map honestly.

We start down here facing three martial artists, two gunners, and two sorcerers. The sorcerers are in a really difficult position too, we need to throw one of the nearby crates there to get up to them. There are also crates that channel us a bit as we enter the second area of the map.

There’s a second group of martial artists and more sorcerers as well here. Try not to engage them until you’ve finished everything below, they can hit super hard. If you’re having trouble here, you might want to take some time and level up before you move on, because it only gets rougher from here. Anyway this is where we’ll end for today, next time we’ll hit another pair of maps.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Manager. A familiar face returns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
...oh no. Axel and his director are here, aren't they?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It's even better.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ardeem posted:

It's even better.

Mid-boss? Seraph Lamington? Vulcanus (the D1 one)?

Feinne posted:

Getting all worked up over ice cream… How childish…
Coming from you, that’s gotta hurt.

Stones. Glass houses.
Although I believe someone mentioned this game takes place before D2? Still, stones, glass houses.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Omobono posted:

Mid-boss? Seraph Lamington? Vulcanus (the D1 one)?

Stones. Glass houses.
Although I believe someone mentioned this game takes place before D2? Still, stones, glass houses.

Nooot that good. I just checked a faq, and the character I thought it was unlocks after the next chapter and passing a bill.:sweatdrop:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah it's mostly just exactly who you'd expect to be in the role in question once you sit and think for a second.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you still get dialog between characters if you replay stages?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you still get dialog between characters if you replay stages?

I think the little dialog things you get when characters interact mid-stage are only in the first runs. A lot of the maps are actually radically different in second+ runs, for example that ticket booth map is a Clone gimmick map where you have to deal with endless Wind Spinners until you push your way to the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So ever since the last episode I've had this idea of a map that's got an advancing tide of flowers that act like some bizarre geo effect. It'd be kind of hilarious if a pleasant meadow was the biggest gatecrasher at the biggest concert of the year.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Glazius posted:

So ever since the last episode I've had this idea of a map that's got an advancing tide of flowers that act like some bizarre geo effect. It'd be kind of hilarious if a pleasant meadow was the biggest gatecrasher at the biggest concert of the year.

I feel like there is a map later on where we have to deal with some kind of negative Geo Effect on the areas with Yuie flowers. That just sounds like a thing that would exist.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I have recorded through the fight with Lanza, so I've got what I need to do an update while we're on vacation. That loving map is so rude oh my god.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Fifteen: The Manager

We continue our intrusion into the backstage of Lanza’s concert.

Video- “Restricted Area”

Watch

Sicily has yet to figure out that we’re not actually here for the concert.

Who cares? I’m the Overlord. I can go wherever I wanna go, whenever I wanna go.
…Are you really going to beat up Lanza?
That’s what I’ve been saying all along. That’s why we’re here.
But why…?
Huh?
She didn’t do anything wrong.
She’s been working so hard for her fans. That’s the only reason so many people love her!
What’s wrong with that!? Is that a bad thing!?
Sicily…

Everything about her is wrong!
I don’t get it… I don’t get any of it!
Prince…are those security guards heading this way?
Dammit… All this talking only created more work for us.
I can’t back down now. Let’s get rid of these fools!

This map is really, really hard. Just straight up.

So a group of Gunners is in the center of the map. There is a large group of Ronin to one side…

And several more supported by three Serpents on the other. Serpents by the by are basically Dragons, but with Ice gimmick evilities. The green areas are No Entry, though partway through the map the symbol will move and they’ll become clear. The Ronin are the real threat, they do 50% more damage when attacking a target from the front and have some really nasty sword skills. Don’t bunch up or they’ll butcher you with Nether Slashes. Throw people to the middle and deal with the Gunners immediately, you don’t need them shooting you while the Ronin are trying to drop you. Once they’re dealt with, try and take the Ronin a few at a time and you’ll be fine. If you try and fight them all together you’re doomed.

Okay, now to discover the mastermind behind this whole Lanzarote thing.

Video- “Green Room”

Watch

You may remember this rear end in a top hat from the original Disgaea.

I never thought an idol could make me so much money. * snort *
I will make this tour so successful, every demon in the Netherworld will spend money on her! * snort *
Wh-Who’s there!?
I see…so you’re behind all this, Hoggmeiser.
You’re…!?
Hmhmhm… Remember me!?
What a woman!
What!? Don’t look at me like that!
Prince, you’re a chick now, remember? There’s no way he’d recognize you.

He picks things up pretty quickly, honestly.

Exactly. I’m not going to explain anything, because it’s too much of a hassle.
You don’t need to! Just say these words to me… * snort * “I love you, Hoggmeiser!”
Hell no!
Jeez, can you just bring Lanzarote out already? This is taking too long…
…You barged in here without permission and that’s how you treat me? * snort *
What do you want with my money tree?
Laharl wants to beat her up.
Just bring her out here!
I see…
Who would just bring her out after hearing that!? * snort *
She’s a very important investment! I can’t let you break her or anything!
In that case…I’ll just have to settle for beating you up instead!
I won’t let that happen! * snort * Security! Security!!!
* snicker * I hired these powerful demons with my own money! * snort *
Capture these trespassers!

I’ll show you the power of an Overlord!
(I just don’t get it… Big Brother…)
(Why are we doing this…?)

A pretty interesting map here.

Our first encounter is a trio of Gargoyles (of the increased defense if they didn’t move variety) backed up by a Beast Master, which improves their stats while she’s adjacent to them. She’s the fragile one, so take her out first. Then we move into the Red area, which reduces Defense. That Yellow area on the other hand increases Attack and experience gains. We ideally want to throw into the Yellow and blow up the Fighters in there ASAP, otherwise we have to deal with Axe wielders who are at +50% Attack. We face off against another Gargoyle/Beast Master formation before reaching the Purple area, which has Enemy Boost +50% and Hoggmeiser.

Old Hoggmeiser’s pretty durable and can hit hard, and his Evility in practice gives him 30% more stats. We want to make sure we don’t engage him in the Enemy Boost region. The map’s realistically over once we take the center, though, then we can force engagements where we have + Attack and they have – Defense.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: The Ultimate Idol Showdown. Also by a huge margin the most difficult map so far in the game.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Could someone please tell Sicily that the poo poo that goes on in the Netherworld is drat near never what it actually seems in reality? No demon in the Netherworld works hard for their fans: they work hard to turn fans into pawns.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Who's next? Maderas (Episode 5 boss in the original)? The prism rangers? That Aramis kid (the one that had the horse wiener zombie pet)?
Never mind the last, Aramis would be cool.

We don't want Z-listers such as Hogg, game, not when Captain Gordon, Slayer of the Netherworld is not here. :cmon:

Hopefully Kurtis will be back, he usually cameos in other disgaeas.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

Could someone please tell Sicily that the poo poo that goes on in the Netherworld is drat near never what it actually seems in reality? No demon in the Netherworld works hard for their fans: they work hard to turn fans into pawns.

Well next map we confront Lanza so this might be about to come up.

Omobono posted:

Who's next? Maderas (Episode 5 boss in the original)? The prism rangers? That Aramis kid (the one that had the horse wiener zombie pet)?
Never mind the last, Aramis would be cool.

We don't want Z-listers such as Hogg, game, not when Captain Gordon, Slayer of the Netherworld is not here. :cmon:

Hopefully Kurtis will be back, he usually cameos in other disgaeas.

Aramis is Etna's vassal, so he'd not be a big surprise if she showed up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nice of them to put in that boss hog loves his son. I almost thought character development from the first game didn't carry over.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hoggmeiser is actually being a pretty good guy, for an idol manager anyway. Then again, that's not a hard bar to clear.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

quote:

He's really easy to impersonate!

:raise:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Snort like a pig. Bam. Easy.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Lotish posted:

Snort like a pig. Bam. Easy.

You forgot saying things like "I wish I could make love to you, money..."

(WARNING: JOKE, DO NOT TAKE SERIOUSLY)
(I'm making it obvious when I joke to cut down on people finding me weird)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I think that's just a dig at the fact that there was a monster class full of people that looked exactly like him only in different color palettes in the first game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Update might be as late as Thursday, I am unlikely to have a chance to write it before then. Just a heads up.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Sixteen: The Ultimate Idol Showdown

Now all we’ve got left is the Concert Stage, and confronting Lanzarote. Oh, and I’ve also found out that Laharl-chan is in fact the same VA who is Barbara rather than being Barbara Goodson for what it’s worth.

Video- Concert Stage

Watch

She’s currently monologuing pre-show. It should also be noted that her sentences are basically always punctuated with a star in the actual text.

They all want to hear my brainwashing song! Yup yup.
Zone in on me! Let your minds overflow with thoughts of me!
If everyone does that, no one will have a problem with me becoming the Overlord!
Just as I thought.

And of course when you monologue you get caught.

No! I’m Overlord Laharl!
Oh, you’re the Overlord…!? Did you hear all that?
…Say it ain’t so, Lanza. You weren’t singing to become the Overlord, were you…?
Now do you see how foolish you were?
No demon would work hard just for their fans. Being a demon is all about being selfish.
What…!?
Hehehe… Hahahahahahaha!
Of course that’s what I was doing! Why else would I put up with all this crap?
It’s all to make Lanza the Overlord!
And there goes her fake persona…
Lanza…

And when the concert starts, I’ll announce my new Overlordship to all my fans!
This concert is being broadcast all over the Netherworld! It’ll be all over the news!
You’re just a pitiful idol… Do you really think you can beat me!?
Don’t take me lightly!
This body was trained by years of singing and dancing lessons! The time has come to unleash its full potential!!!
Well that’s interesting… Let’s see what you’ve got!

So let’s just start by saying this is by a HUGE margin the most difficult map so far in the game, and it will really seriously humble you if you take it lightly. Let’s look at how you start.

So yeah, we start out outnumbered and surrounded by a bunch of Ronin, a few Serpents, some Gunners, and Lanza herself. And it’s worse than that, because let’s look at Lanza.

Lanza’s an Archer except with most of their weaknesses eliminated, has a huge blob of HP, and her Evility both increases all of her allies’ stats and reduces all of ours. And what’s worse, those Green tiles are No Entry and prevent us from accessing her easily even if we did want to alpha strike her. She’s also on a Yellow tile that adds a whole bunch of defenses to whoever stands on it, but we actually don’t want to do anything at all about that, because…

…there’s a large area over in the ‘stands’ that also has that effect. So what we’re going to do is take Laharl, Etna, Flonne, and Sicily and use some sacrificial throwers to get them into that. They’ll block up the entrances to such and this will let them endure the otherwise absurd attacks from the Ronin and just in general let us wear down the enemies. Lanza will even actually leave her tile and advance a bit on us, which lets us eventually bring her down. We’ve also still got some Dispatches, which lets Fuka and some other strong secondaries deploy once the Base Panel is more clear to clean up stragglers. Just remember, while you can throw on the No Lifting panels you obviously can’t Lift again on them so make sure you don’t put yourself in the situation of having to do so. Also remember that Serpents are flying movement and will be able to infiltrate onto the yellow panels (they won’t be able to hurt you any more on those than they would on normal panels but you equally won’t be able to touch them). As an alternative strategy you ‘could’ throw over and try and Clear all the panels and hope the explosion kills the enemies enough to make the map clearable but I don’t think that’s what happens so this is a much more reliable strategy.

Now for the chapter’s end.

Video- Chapter 4 Lead Out

Watch

You tried to undermine the Overlord. That is a serious crime, you know.

Sicily seems to object to us employing brutal violence here though.

That may be true…
But I can’t bring myself to hate her…
I didn’t know what to do when I found out I couldn’t be the Overlord.
No one believes that I’m your little sister, so I could never really tell if I was welcome here…
Sicily…
That’s when I heard Lanza’s song!
Watching her sing with that bright smile of hers made me feel so much better!
That’s why…!
Why what?
That’s enough, Laharl! Don’t you ever think about her feelings?
I don’t need to. I can’t let a demon who’s trying to steal my throne run around loose.
Hey, Lanzarote…
P-Please… I’ll do anything, just please spare me…

Though maybe we weren’t going to do that in the first place.

What…!?
Y-You’ll really forgive me if I do that?
If you don’t want to…I’ll just kill you right now and be done with it.
I-I got this, Overlord Laharl! Lanza will work really hard!
System Message: Lanzarote joined your party!
Are you sure that’s a good idea? She might try to attack you or something to become the Overlord again…
I’d rather have her do it that way than sneaking around behind my back.
Besides, I can make her sing songs about me to make me more popular!
Riiight, whatever you say…
Th-Thank you, Big Brother.
Don’t get me wrong! I didn’t do it for you!
And don’t ever say thank you! It makes my skin crawl.
Okay! Thank you!
You really don’t get it, do you!?

At this point the lights dim.

Oh! What are we doing to do!? The concert is about to begin!
No problem!
Since I’m feeling generous today, I’ll let them all hear my beautiful singing voice!

The game actually does subtitle the song, amusingly, but I’ve actually encompassed what we hear with some really great shots so here they all are!

I’ve got the full lyrics, I’ll post them another time.

Narrator: But after the concert, he turned back into a guy, and her voice was never heard again.
This concert came to be known as the “Legendary Unknown Princess Concert,” and was talked about for many years…

The episode preview is pretty great too.

That’s not really slight.

Being an idol has nothing to do with that…
The mastermind is finally cornered… The person’s identity is…
Ooh, I’m so curious!

Wait, who is the mastermind?
Wait, what about Big Brother?

I just can’t stop laughing every time I think of “Neon Genesis Etnagalion” for some reason.

Next Time, Disgaea D2: Unrest. Things aren’t getting any better unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Best next chapter title yet!

I should mention that the Book skill names are based on classic literature. 451 Degrees of Evil is referencing Fahrenheit 451, and Gone With The Cotton is based on Gone With The Wind.

• Locked thread