Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Why do the costumes have to be so expensiiiiive

You'll have ways to get hilariously absurd amounts of money very shortly if you don't already, largely through Session chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had way too much money and then I got the skill that gives you even more money for doing Sessions and woof

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You'll have ways to get hilariously absurd amounts of money very shortly if you don't already, largely through Session chains.

That's good, I want everyone to achieve Maximum Cute

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The EXP dungeon also has random gold bar items instead of tomes. Easy money there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest and say that as far as I am the DLC cheat dungeons feel like they would be useless. EXP is plentiful unless you're super-overleveled, master points get easier and easier to get as the game progresses to the point I'm frequently out of new stuff to get unless I'm going for +1 weapons and I'm usually sitting on enough cash to buy every costume + fully upgrade my armor every chapter.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The real value comes from being able to use the tome items on inactive party members. A few of those and they're getting more EXP than a whole section of a dungeon.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I love this game

gently caress, why am I at work for the next 5 hours.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

gently caress, why am I at work for the next 5 hours.

RIP people working on sundays

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

RIP people working

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i have a cold and im not going to go work tomorrow

#prolifehacks

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i just got a dual-art for mamori and tiki. mortal hands were not meant to hold this much power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to finish TMS ASAP because Super Robot Wars, the VLR sequel and Star Ocean all come out this week!!!!!

I have too many obscenely anime game to play, it's a real problem.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

star ocean looks bad at least, so that'll clear up some time

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I like being able to check out everyone's stats and skills on the gamepad. You can even check out enemy skills and that even includes their session skills so you can know how hosed you are if you get hit by a weakness. Not too many games actually let you see that info.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

star ocean looks bad at least, so that'll clear up some time

It is my lowest priority, yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm not sure why this game's designs look ok to me whereas Star Ocean's look like something I'd see crawling up my leg during a bad salvia trip.

Eye/face ratio, maybe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I'm not sure why this game's designs look ok to me whereas Star Ocean's look like something I'd see crawling up my leg during a bad salvia trip.

Eye/face ratio, maybe.

Just much better art design. Star Ocean tries to straddle realistic and anime and the end result is horrifying. It uses realistic texture, weird character design and in general doesn't just embrace the drat anime look.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TMS designs just look like 3D anime, Star Ocean 5 designs look like a real person wearing one of those anime girl costumes with the giant fake head.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Start of chapter 2 is my definition of Too Anime

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Having completed the first part of Touma's side story, I am sad that I didn't get his sentai bad guy costume in addition to the other stuff I got from clearing it. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Having completed the first part of Touma's side story, I am sad that I didn't get his sentai bad guy costume in addition to the other stuff I got from clearing it. :(

You either already have or are very close to unlocking Harajuku. Once you do, go check out the store there. ;)

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Welp, just had my first death against a Savage enemy and lost 2 hours of progress.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Save often and/or carry smoke bombs. Those savage enemies are not fun if you can't blow them up immediately.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you see a savage enemy just immediately save before fighting it. If it sneaks up on you don't even bother fighting it, just smoke bomb. It's not worth it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Ask me about my Savage Enemy juking skills.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
I beat every single Savage enemy before that one without too many problems, but I pretty much couldn't do anything against that one. There were five enemies in that battle and they all got their turn one after another after my first character and Session'd me to death.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:siren: TIKI HAS SECRET COSTUMES :siren:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow the boss of chapter 3 really put me through my paces. I'm glad I started getting the Radiant Skills that let your out of battle people join in Sessions right before this. Otherwise I'd have really been struggling for damage.

E: Lmao at Mamori's transformation outfit. Also hell yes the Tiny Girl Wielding Giant Axe is my favorite anime thing

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 27, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished the boss of chapter 2 pretty easily. Not sure if Normal is too easy or just right because he kinda went down like a total chump and I'm fairly sure I'm not overleveled or anything.

I had one wipe so far but that's because I tackled a savage enemy and instead of trying to run went "Nah I want this to happen."

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

He was a pretty decent challenge for me in Hard Mode, so maybe try upping it? I'm pretty sure you can freely switch it in the system menu so might as well check it out if you're curious.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I finished the boss of chapter 2 pretty easily. Not sure if Normal is too easy or just right because he kinda went down like a total chump and I'm fairly sure I'm not overleveled or anything.

I had one wipe so far but that's because I tackled a savage enemy and instead of trying to run went "Nah I want this to happen."

I died a couple times to to the Chapter 2 boss on Hard Mode and wound up winning on the third try because Kiria's ad-lib went off when I was in a jam. So far I'm feeling like Hard's difficulty curve is spot on. I've yet to feel overwhelmed or overpowered. Ellie's Splatoon-looking outfit from the photoshoot on the other hand is extremely overpowered.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

May give it a shot then.

Also I like how the Topic profile changes based on side stories. I just got the hangover medicine for Maiko and the scene ended with everyone going "woo!" and having a good time. Opened up her topic and she apologized for it but her description was like "poo poo kids giving me trouble for coming in drunk #ughhhh"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's sort of weird but I'm honestly impressed at how many vocal songs this game has. Usually when a game (especially a JRPG) has an 'idol' character or theme they get like two songs tops while here they've had an original song for basically every other sidequest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So I've got an issue and the Wii U general is closed so I'll ask here - I got this off the eShop and cleared enough space to run it, but the console won't recognize that the biggest file (specifically the Xenosaga HD patch) was deleted, so it's effectively locking me out of being able to download the game.

Where do I go from here? I'll reformat the drive if I have do, I barely ever play on this console anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

So I've got an issue and the Wii U general is closed so I'll ask here - I got this off the eShop and cleared enough space to run it, but the console won't recognize that the biggest file (specifically the Xenosaga HD patch) was deleted, so it's effectively locking me out of being able to download the game.

Where do I go from here? I'll reformat the drive if I have do, I barely ever play on this console anyway.

I assume you've tried a full hard reboot and everything?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

honestly he went down pretty easy on hard as soon as I swapped out Kiria so she wouldn't be sessioned to death so you could probably do hard if you're so inclined

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I don't wanna read this thread bc spoilers but I do want to say that this is one of the best JRPGs I've played in a long-rear end time

Cheers

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And first game over was to a side-quest fight. Got the quest at level 16, all the mobs in the fight were level 24.

... Might have to come back to this one a bit later.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

KingEffingFrost posted:

I died a couple times to to the Chapter 2 boss on Hard Mode and wound up winning on the third try because Kiria's ad-lib went off when I was in a jam. So far I'm feeling like Hard's difficulty curve is spot on. I've yet to feel overwhelmed or overpowered. Ellie's Splatoon-looking outfit from the photoshoot on the other hand is extremely overpowered.

Just finished the 2nd boss and Touma kept doing the ad-libs and it helped a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I did the Chapter 2 boss by abusing Touma's Hamstring to make them miss a bunch cause otherwise the flunkies they summon session the gently caress out of Tsubasa

Also does anyone know if there's any story bits like side stories that are permanently missable? Like if I don't do a side story right this second will it still be there after the next chapter or do I have to do them as soon as they are theoretically doable

majormonotone fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 27, 2016

• Locked thread