Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's a map on the game pad? !?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ilyana is the waitress at the cafe? !?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm kinda disappointed Ilyana is a shopkeeper, because I liked how most of the FE references are from Tiki games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm glad they've chosen to reference good games as well :twisted:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

When we're talking about a niche title that sold poorly in Japan and is probably not selling well in the US, it actually isn't a 'live and let live' thing. If they decide to pirate the game (as is pretty likely because most people really upset about this aren't going to be patching their legally purchased copy on a homebrew Wii U and the censorship bullshit makes them feel 'justified' for doing so) then it actually has a negative impact rather than being neutral.

They also did demand Nintendo change stuff back, Nintendo just ignored them.

They absolutely deserve to be mocked. They're not interested in censorship or localization, most of them probably don't actually know what was changed except for misleading videos. If they were they'd probably be playing the Japanese version because the localized version of the game has a number of edits that I'm willing to bet the patch doesn't catch because they're not women in bikinis. (Or they're using the exact same script in which case they don't care about any dialogue edits, just women in bikinis.)

It's actually distracting when characters keep talking even though there's no dialogue because they didn't bother lining up audio with the changed lines.

It also is a pretty thorough "edit" because most of the original dialogue is in the game already translated and then patched behind the same switch as the other censored content, like in XCX.

They probably would be playing the Japanese version except Nintendo are the only ones still doing the backwards, archaic and anti-consumer practice of region locking their hardware.

I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder over what people do to their game, to be perfectly honest.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 27, 2016

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
does anyone know how many chapters long this game is, because i'm about to start what seems like it might be the final dungeon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

does anyone know how many chapters long this game is, because i'm about to start what seems like it might be the final dungeon.

You've gamed hard... my salutations

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

They probably would be playing the Japanese version except Nintendo are the only ones still doing the backwards, archaic and anti-consumer practice of region locking their hardware.

Not even an iota of a chance. There are plenty of censored/changed games on non-Nintendo systems which nobody mass-imports when a change is made, because they like being able to actually read the text (and don't care about the text being localized or changed unless it is one of their personal anime titty bugbears.)

DrPaper posted:

I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder over what people do to their game, to be perfectly honest.

Because I'm comfortably convinced (and looking at forums backs this up) and they're pirating the gaming instead of buying it and using the censorship to 'justify' it, and for a niche game that can really use sales that's actually pretty lovely.

If I have a chip on my shoulder it is because I like JRPGs and I enjoy discussing JRPG localizations. I think there's a lot of interesting elements to it and times where severely bad choices have been made. However for the past year or two any conversation about it has been co-opeted by the Angry Anime Titty Brigade who are more interested in making sure they get their uncensored tits than discussing actual localization and its pros and cons.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 27, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm glad they've chosen to reference good games as well :twisted:

You're getting really lazy this past few weeks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I have a cold, cut me some slack

although I was being kinda serious since my least favorite fire emblem games are pretty much all the ones tiki is in

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Not even an iota of a chance. There are plenty of censored/changed games on non-Nintendo systems which nobody mass-imports when a change is made, because they like being able to actually read the text (and don't care about the text being localized or changed unless it is one of their personal anime titty bugbears.)

Except historically you are wrong. There have been several ATLUS titles specifically that have been mass-imported due to changes, since the PSP days. Many of these games also have English text built in due to English speakers in the Asian market, primarily in Hong Kong. Doesn't even matter because many games aren't always largely imported from Japan. The Inazuma games have been imported from the EU, and Southpark form the US, and neither of these were done for anime tittys.

There is a reason consumers despise region locking, and why Phil Spencer stepped up and removed it from the Xbox One.

quote:

If I have a chip on my shoulder it is because I like JRPGs and I enjoy discussing JRPG localizations. I think there's a lot of interesting elements to it and times where severely bad choices have been made. However for the past year or two any conversation about it has been co-opeted by the Angry Anime Titty Brigade who are more interested in making sure they get their uncensored tits than discussing actual localization and its pros and cons.

And this is pretty reasonable. I personally don't feel it's just anime titties that are part of the problem in Tokyo Mirage Sessions subpar localization. Out of sync, overlapping and orphaned audio dialogue, DLC content not coming over - whether you care about it or not- are things that are reasonable for a consumer to be unhappy about, especially since they've had to wait months for this localization to actually play the game due to region-locking.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

Except historically you are wrong. There have been several ATLUS titles specifically that have been mass-imported due to changes, since the PSP days. Many of these games also have English text built in due to English speakers in the Asian market, primarily in Hong Kong. Doesn't even matter because many games aren't always largely imported from Japan. The Inazuma games have been imported from the EU, and Southpark form the US, and neither of these were done for anime tittys.

There is a reason consumers despise region locking, and why Phil Spencer stepped up and removed it from the Xbox One.

You're talking about games with English-Asian versions which are not remotely the same thing, and those are mass-imported because they have Asian-English text, not because of 'changes.' I'm not even 100% clear what Atlus titles with Asian-English text and massive localization changes you're talking about in fact. Inazuma 11 and Tingle's Rosie Rupeeland or whatever are imported because they have existing English versions that are not available. (South Park was a massive censorship thing though, that is true, but also a case where it's a fully-translated game censored rather than the Japanese version.)

Region locking sucks but it has absolutely nothing to do with this. Even if the Wii U wasn't region locked people wouldn't be mass-importing the Japanese version of TMS.

DrPaper posted:

And this is pretty reasonable. I personally don't feel it's just anime titties that are part of the problem in Tokyo Mirage Sessions subpar localization. Out of sync, overlapping and orphaned audio dialogue, DLC content not coming over -

I haven't encountered anything remotely significant in terms of out of sync or overlapping dialogue. I found one or two places but in one case it was in the original Japanese version. Being upset about the DLC content not coming over is fine but treating it like it's an exceptionally subpar translation is silly.

What would you call a good JRPG localization? It certainly can't be any of the other Atlus titles which frequently have things like mistranslated or straight-up untranslated text in places among other issues. Not anything from XSEED either for the same reason. NISA obviously not because they frequently add bugs into their games. Square-Enix is all over the place and while they usually translate everything the actual localization quality is frequently quite bad.

This is part of why I have a chip on my shoulder. Actual criticism is fine and any bugs or mistakes are fine criticism. Trying to use that criticism to go "See, it's actually a terrible translation" is excessive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 27, 2016

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Region locking sucks but it has absolutely nothing to do with this.

I've had to wait 7 months to play this game on my Wii U due to region locking. Waiting for them to localize it. 6 months for Japanese only audio, dialogue inconsistencies between the text and audio, and less content, when if this were coming out for my PS4 or Xbox One I could have already played it.

On top of that it's also going to objectively have less content, that I can't play because I can't import #FE and play it on my Wii U.

It's not the end of the world, but dismissing it as just being people who want to jerk off to anime titties is retarded, because jerking off to anime titties isn't some limited venue that I can only get from Wii U games.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What would you call a good JRPG localization?

The FF7 localization where they call Cloud a retard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DrPaper posted:

And this is pretty reasonable. I personally don't feel it's just anime titties that are part of the problem in Tokyo Mirage Sessions subpar localization. Out of sync, overlapping and orphaned audio dialogue, DLC content not coming over - whether you care about it or not- are things that are reasonable for a consumer to be unhappy about, especially since they've had to wait months for this localization to actually play the game due to region-locking.

Where are you reading these complaints. I've not seen any non-breast censor argument any of the news sites, or gaf, or reddit. I can probably count like 2 instances when anyone remotely mentioned anything about the actual localization text.

DrPaper posted:

The FF7 localization where they call Cloud a retard.

Oh wait now I remember you.

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 27, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

I've had to wait 7 months to play this game on my Wii U due to region locking. Waiting for them to localize it. 6 months for Japanese only audio, dialogue inconsistencies between the text and audio, and less content, when if this were coming out for my PS4 or Xbox One I could have already played it.

On top of that it's also going to objectively have less content, that I can't play because I can't import #FE and play it on my Wii U.

It's not the end of the world, but dismissing it as just being people who want to jerk off to anime titties is retarded, because jerking off to anime titties isn't some limited venue that I can only get from Wii U games.

Well, I agree region locking sucks, but this patch stuff isn't about region locking and I think it's a bit disingenuous to pretend it is. It's about the changes to the game. If it had been brought over without the so-called censorship, even if it had every other complaint you said, I can promise you that you wouldn't have people stressing about patching it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, this quest for the Arena guy... Is going to take basically the entire game, huh? I like how the first two you get for him get you the guy who trades Detritus and some girl Mirage who makes you do the good ol' negotiation minigame. They fixed it since 4 tho, no longer can you get one cheat for free... I wonder what the other loving EIGHT he wants me to find will do.

Edit: Huh, you seem to get some random Performas if you successfully negotiate. Interesting.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013
So, I've beaten chapter 2, and it's telling me I can do Kiria's 2nd side quest when she stage levels up. But She's already rank 7. Am I really supposed to be bringing that out, or is it a case where there just isn't a story gate in the way, but it's supposed to be done in chapter 3? Cause I spent a long time killing dudes in the 2nd dungeon, and emptied her mana bar twice with her cheapest spells and no rank up. So like 90 some casts, and factoring in sessions, thats also 90-100 kills. At least it's letting other Cain catch up on weapon skills, but I'm thinking they don't want me to have that rank yet, but didn't gate it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, this quest for the Arena guy... Is going to take basically the entire game, huh? I like how the first two you get for him get you the guy who trades Detritus and some girl Mirage who makes you do the good ol' negotiation minigame. They fixed it since 4 tho, no longer can you get one cheat for free... I wonder what the other loving EIGHT he wants me to find will do.

Edit: Huh, you seem to get some random Performas if you successfully negotiate. Interesting.

Negotiations are in this game?! God I need a second copy to inject in my bloodstream.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sorbocules posted:

So, I've beaten chapter 2, and it's telling me I can do Kiria's 2nd side quest when she stage levels up. But She's already rank 7. Am I really supposed to be bringing that out, or is it a case where there just isn't a story gate in the way, but it's supposed to be done in chapter 3? Cause I spent a long time killing dudes in the 2nd dungeon, and emptied her mana bar twice with her cheapest spells and no rank up. So like 90 some casts, and factoring in sessions, thats also 90-100 kills. At least it's letting other Cain catch up on weapon skills, but I'm thinking they don't want me to have that rank yet, but didn't gate it.

It's really not worth trying to grind stage rank. The way the game is designed you'll hit your milestones just playing. I think it's hard-coded to not let you go above a certain level.

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's really not worth trying to grind stage rank. The way the game is designed you'll hit your milestones just playing. I think it's hard-coded to not let you go above a certain level.

That was why I was asking. It started feeling like that, but the game didn't say anything about it. And I didn't notice the way the scale exp gains until 1/4 into the 2nd mana bar. I just wish it told me "hey, we don't have a story gate for this, but we don't want you grinding this out, you've hit a chapter based stage rank cap, this goes next chapter." Would have saved me a fair bit of time.

Basically, since this is my first persona-esque game, and I heard that there were limited availabilities of character side things in those, when the game didn't proclaim gate, I assumed they wanted me to grind it out, so I don't miss an important side quest of these character being goobers.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Is Tharja this creepy/weird/cool in fire emblem?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SylvainMustach posted:

Yes, that's pretty much her defining trait. She's a weird crazy witch who likes hexing people and being strange.

She also likes helping orphans and is actually not a bad person beneath the surface-level batshit crazy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kiria's second quest goes back to the photo dungeon, and since the model guy left the photos changed to pictures of town. Those bikini pictures sure were important weren't they?

SylvainMustach posted:

Yes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SylvainMustach posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that's pretty much her defining trait. She's a weird crazy witch who likes hexing people and being strange.

She also likes helping orphans and is actually not a bad person beneath the surface-level batshit crazy.

She's also child abuses her own child, but that's not gonna come up or be a factor in this game, so eh.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Why did nobody tells me his thread existed. :mad:

I'm broke and still playing Fates so this game can wait but I'm definitely getting it.

How hard is my rear end going to be kicked with no experience in the SMT/Persona series?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there any reason to hang onto light attacks instead of going for the medium version of it? I mean yes the EP cost, but that doesn't seem like a concern.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm 90% sure nothing is missable in this game. All requests just stick around until you do them and all side stories seem to be permanently available once you meet the requirements. You don't lose access to areas and you can go anywhere at any time - even during the middle of a dungeon you can just gently caress off to do whatever. The fact that a core mechanic is to leave and get new weapons and powers implies that this isn't going to change.

In conclusion don't grind for things you'll get them all naturally as you play as long as you use all your characters evenly and you're not gonna miss anything.

Rorus Raz posted:

Is there any reason to hang onto light attacks instead of going for the medium version of it? I mean yes the EP cost, but that doesn't seem like a concern.

No they are nearly always straight upgrades. The light attacks fall off hard, even with a few pluses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

The only ones worth hanging on to are the one that inflict debuffs because those are crazy good. Otherwise upgrade.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

She's also child abuses her own child, but that's not gonna come up or be a factor in this game, so eh.

Not Our Tharja

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Why did nobody tells me his thread existed. :mad:

I'm broke and still playing Fates so this game can wait but I'm definitely getting it.

How hard is my rear end going to be kicked with no experience in the SMT/Persona series?

This game is very forgiving, even on hard. Just make sure to save often.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

AlphaKretin posted:

About the same really, you're gonna get surprised occasionally even if you know it can happen, and the chaining technique is easy enough to learn. But you can save anywhere in this one, and you get warnings before bosses and the other tough enemies are noticeably different so it's really on your head if you die to them and didn't save.

Plus they give you the exit spell super early on so there's no excuse for dying by attrition either

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 27, 2016

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't care about J-Pop or SMT but I love JRPGs and like Fire Emblem. Should I buy this?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Do you actually dislike smt or have you just never played one? cause the gameplay is pretty SMT

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I don't care about J-Pop or SMT but I love JRPGs and like Fire Emblem. Should I buy this?

Do you not like SMT or have you just never played it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I don't really care about fire emblem or J-pop but think the game is cool. So, prolly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I remember an old stream had the lady characters sing the squid sisters song in a duo. Was I imagining things?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Anyone know a good spot to farm the gold enemies? I need some Macca Converters.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is "Here I Go" the only sticker Touma has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

EdgeLord Chrom will never not be funny to me.

Mummy's Curse Chrom looks very silly, but I actually prefer this to how he looks in Awakening.

I'm partway through the chapter 2 dungeon and I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I totally expected this to be a b-team product for people that needed their Persona fix and all of the P4 spinoffs weren't doing it any more.

• Locked thread