Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Give all the MVPs to Dadlas and then take a picture of it like Mark Spitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TildeATH posted:

And you know Ath just kept walking away from it without even noticing.

quote:

Hellstar
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (2 base + 1 massive damage = 3): rolled 12, succeeds!

Yes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

What a battle! PTN's scenarios have all been great, but this was definitely one of the most gripping we've seen in a while. Good thing the battle ROMs will back up the kill claims, otherwise the Republic would never believe it! It's only a pity the last turns of the bonus objective were out of reach but sometimes you have to know when to hold them and when to absolutely fold them. This way everyone goes home alive and a drat sight richer than when they started.

I'm hard-pressed to pick MVPs myself from all the great performances. I do like the argument of recognizing the Stag for absorbing misfortune from the team, but in the interest of spreading recognition around there's also the Grasshopper who provided good, heavily-armored support including rescuing a fellow pilot and leaving in the last wave.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

anakha posted:

Player MVPs:
- the Stag, for open defiance of the dice gods
- the Komodo, for busting open the infantry deathtrap at the extraction zone

OpFor MVP:
- the Aero for exceptional insanity bravery by taking off and engaging Goonsquad in a hurricane

The pilot may have been a fool, but it was hilarious enough anyway. I agree with these.

Was a lotta fun, would love to play again with you all.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
As I said before, Ronin for uncovering the infantry blocking the exit, and Javelin for giving the downed pilot a hand: inglorious, maybe even dull, but they're a big part of why this was a big victory with a happy ending. All the pilots did drat good, though. Well, the Player pilots anyway; the Clan pilots hosed up so bad that the Clan leadership will probably take this battle as a sign that all the older warriors and non-Omni mechs do, in fact, suck.

Bloody Pom posted:

e: Holy crap, that bounty :signings: Am I correct in assuming the Demon Hawks are earning more in a single day than most merc companies see in a year?

Depends on what you mean by "most merc companies": 44,300,000 is enough to buy four Atlases and a Catapult, and almost enough to buy two Timber Wolfs, all of which are entirely beyond the usual Merc trash, who are usually lucky to get salvage that isn't complete trash on top of a payment that may or may not be more than the actual cost of fighting. By that standard, Duncan and Jason are doing fantastic, although a big part of that is thanks to a very generous contract that's terribly abnormal to begin with: even so, a Union Dropship costs 222,554,080, which is the kind of hardware the Big Boy Merc Companies have access to, while Jason and Duncan would need to do this mission five times just to come close to buying a single one, every other expense aside.

In other words, the Clan Killing Pair are getting enough money that they should seriously consider getting an Aerospace wing for support, like some Corsairs (2,293,958 each), but not enough that Amaris would do the Star Fox 64 style General Pepper "WHAT?!" (hilarious though that thought may be).

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 27, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I fully suspect Amaris' reaction to this mission to be "WHAT?!" :vince: regardless.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Voting Aerojock for clan MVP. He's the only guy who really tried against the odds without arrogance or hesitation. Ath, bored and disinterested. Cocksure star were all hyped up and confident. But that guy? He started with his machine in a poo poo spot, defied the odds, and did a fantastic defense of something relevant to his clan and profession. Guy's got heart.

Dragoon gets it on the merc side for a good show, and Stag for enduring an incredible amount of bullshit to spare the others. A real magnet for enemy hate, that one.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I fully suspect Amaris' reaction to this mission to be "WHAT?!" :vince: regardless.

"gently caress everything, get every combat-ready Mechwarrior we have and put them in one of those Atlas IIIs. And paint them like that one while you're at it."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chronojam posted:

Voting Aerojock for clan MVP. He's the only guy who really tried against the odds without arrogance or hesitation. Ath, bored and disinterested. Cocksure star were all hyped up and confident. But that guy? He started with his machine in a poo poo spot, defied the odds, and did a fantastic defense of something relevant to his clan and profession. Guy's got heart.

Dragoon gets it on the merc side for a good show, and Stag for enduring an incredible amount of bullshit to spare the others. A real magnet for enemy hate, that one.

I'm down for this.

What a hell of a battle. Congratulations to everyone!

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
Players:
Stag for showing one can fight the dice and win.
Screamer for being the last one out despite flying a rocket-powered deathtrap with no room for error.

OpFor:
The Aero pilot deserves full credit here, despite it only being a minor event in the grand scheme of things. Taking off under those conditions is one thing, but coming back around for a strafing run requires staring Death in the face and spitting on them.

I was on the edge of my seat for most of this battle. An excellent job by the players and once again many thanks to PTN for setting these up and running them!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Congrats, Goon Team. You loving did it. Good job for everyone on this mission, players and PTN.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

"gently caress everything, get every combat-ready Mechwarrior we have and put them in one of those Atlas IIIs. And paint them like that one while you're at it."

I think he'll be more impressed with the Hawks than specifically the Atlass III. He knows the Atlas III is a fine machine, it's why he traded us one for this mission, but it's GoonLance that used it so effectively.

I only fear what suicidal hellhole he's going to send us to next time because the success was so glaring this time.

We get a bonus for this mission for lasting 6 turns right? Just a smaller one than if we went 12? I wonder what it will be!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

anakha posted:

Player MVPs:
- the Stag, for open defiance of the dice gods
- the Komodo, for busting open the infantry deathtrap at the extraction zone

OpFor MVP:
- the Aero for exceptional insanity bravery by taking off and engaging Goonsquad in a hurricane

I'll echo this, in particular that Clan ASF pilot. That took an amazing amount of balls, even for a Clanner.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If he had balls, he'd have come back for another pass after he survived on a christmas miracle the first time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaodai posted:

We get a bonus for this mission for lasting 6 turns right? Just a smaller one than if we went 12? I wonder what it will be!

Another daring and completely batshit impossible mission, I bet.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I wonder how the Bondswomen in GoonCompany will react to this mission. Mercs got paid, and everyone came home alive. But she's got a different set of criteria for how things are 'expected' to go.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Good job Goonlance - we not only went in and blew up all their stuff, but got everyone out again! Pretty sure the overall MVP is actually Teamwork.

For Player MVPs:
The Grasshopper - for supporting the Atlas and making sure the Demon Hawks leave no one behind.
The Copperhead - for distracting Ath and managing to get shot to pieces, fixed through Bethany's brand of 'Phantom Mech', then surviving getting cored out while escaping.

For OpForce MVPs:
No one - The Clans put these guys in Solamha units for a reason.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

berryjon posted:

I wonder how the Bondswomen in GoonCompany will react to this mission. Mercs got paid, and everyone came home alive. But she's got a different set of criteria for how things are 'expected' to go.

They'll be fine. Bethany has had plenty of time to adjust and seems to be rolling along with things in the fluff pieces.
Noretti will probably be butthurt, but Clan logic basically says if they didn't want us kicking the crap out of them, they should have fought better. She's not going to hold anything against the Hawks, we proved we were superior in battle, and that basically settles it from her point of view.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Demon Hawks will retire on this campaign. This is the performance that gets you a permanent contract anywhere in the galaxy.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

Keru posted:

Player MVPs:
Ronin of Dreams for some real good shootin' in the Dragoon II
Vorenus for a) Taking all the bad luck so their team didn't have to and b) Surviving all that bullshit.

Agreed 10000%.
I still can't believe Vorenus survived.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

wiegieman posted:

The Demon Hawks will retire on this campaign. This is the performance that gets you a permanent contract anywhere in the galaxy.

Amaris is gonna make Jason and Duncan lords, give them a planet, and make the Hawks a prestige House unit

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Pattonesque posted:

Amaris is gonna make Jason and Duncan lords, give them a planet, and make the Hawks a prestige House unit

"That kind of a pilot... They call a 'Demon Lord'"

Loa Vecre posted:

Players:
Screamer for being the last one out despite flying a rocket-powered deathtrap with no room for error.

OpFor:
The Aero pilot deserves full credit here, despite it only being a minor event in the grand scheme of things. Taking off under those conditions is one thing, but coming back around for a strafing run requires staring Death in the face and spitting on them.

My votes as well. loving excellent round of robots, looking forward to the aftermath from both sides perspective (esp whatever is going on with the McKenna)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Keru posted:

Player MVPs:
Ronin of Dreams for some real good shootin' in the Dragoon II
Vorenus for a) Taking all the bad luck so their team didn't have to and b) Surviving all that bullshit.

This.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Without the Demon Hawks getting 2 minute bonus objective??

:mediocre:

You guys did great

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Loa Vecre posted:

Players:

OpFor:

I was on the edge of my seat for most of this battle. An excellent job by the players and once again many thanks to PTN for setting these up and running them!

I'll vote for this set. This was a great scenario PTN, and I can't wait to read the ridiculous stories drawn up on the Demon Hawks now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Paingod556 posted:

"That kind of a pilot... They call a 'Demon Lord'"

"Did you know, there are three types of mechwarriors..."

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Amaris gave the Hawks a screamer and the Atlas of doom for a costly but overall good victory. What is he gonna bust out of the vault after this? (Besides an Omega obviously)

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Zaodai posted:

Pff, that Aero pilot was an extremely lucky dumbass. He deserves no props. :colbert:

This, but, seeing how the clans treat their extremely lucky dumbasses

OPFOR MVP: Aerospace Pilot

Player MVPs:
Ronin
Vorenus

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cimbri posted:

This, but, seeing how the clans treat their extremely lucky dumbasses

OPFOR MVP: Aerospace Pilot

Player MVPs:
Ronin
Vorenus

I second that motion :).

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

MvPs:

Bethany Cochraine in Copperhead Gamma, Taj Thrower in Grasshopper, Randy Sauvage in Vandal

Voting based on tactics.

Btw. What happened to the last ERPPC shot of the Screamer? It seemed to miss, but if not and the plasma arced to the center torso that would be a crit.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 27, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
For good MVPs you could pretty much pick anyone besides the Komodo (cause you can't award someone mvp for missing half the rounds and having the gm move his dude)

But my picks are The Ostscout for attempting to kick an ace and the stag for being hosed up and still walking off the field.

And honestly. Duncans performance is never going to be believed. It'll be treated like a tall tale. "Duncan Star-Killer" has a nice ring to it. But try convincing anyone it was even more than a star.

Affi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 27, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My mvp options go to the dragoon for going above and beyond in dealing out and spreading damage and the grasshopper fir racing the downed pilot and assisting the atlas in practicingthe tao of atlas.

clan mvp goes to the quad that dunked on itself.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

In response to Affi -

He's got video evidence though (right? Someone better have been recording!) He's going to be playing that poo poo everywhere. That's the most valuable 30-45 seconds of stock footage the Inner Sphere has ever seen. Duncan and Hogarth are gonna need to talk.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Picard Day posted:

In response to Affi -

He's got video evidence though (right? Someone better have been recording!) He's going to be playing that poo poo everywhere. That's the most valuable 30-45 seconds of stock footage the Inner Sphere has ever seen. Duncan and Hogarth are gonna need to talk.

'Mechs automatically record their fight footage and details on something called a BattleROM (Because Space '80s). A 'Mech fight is almost never not recorded.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

LegendairyBovine posted:

Ardlen (Flashman) and Vorenus (Stag) for co-player MVPs.

Ardlen did a lot of work getting players to coordinate with maps and calculating the withdrawal hexes.

Vorenus because he sucked up all the bad luck.

This but I think the Lucrene should get Clanner MVP on account of singlehandedly terrifying the poo poo out of goonforce.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Affi posted:

For good MVPs you could pretty much pick anyone besides the Komodo (cause you can't award someone mvp for missing half the rounds and having the gm move his dude)

But my picks are The Ostscout for attempting to kick an ace and the stag for being hosed up and still walking off the field.

And honestly. Duncans performance is never going to be believed. It'll be treated like a tall tale. "Duncan Star-Killer" has a nice ring to it. But try convincing anyone it was even more than a star.

From what I've seen in the thread, the battle ROMs recording on each Battlemech seem to be considered reliable, and since they only lost one machine that's a lot of battle data. Also, it was the Gunsmith who went for that kick, and while I think we can all respect the moxie involved it's definitely stretching the definition of "Most Valuable". Even the Stag's claim to fame is supported by fears of dice voodoo.

If Amaris doesn't or can't hire them, I'd bet on the other mercenaries on the planet trying to pick them up for sure, but Duncan and Jason don't seem like the type to rest on their laurels or give up their hard-won command any time soon. The money and fame they're racking up from this campaign is probably what'll go into upgrading their company to a full regiment.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If they make it through this campaign in tact, they'll probably get another sweet offer from El Presidente to be the tip of his spear going upside the head of the rest of the Sphere. Whether or not they want to take that contract is hard to say. Amaris would have a pretty significant tech edge (his own plus whatever he takes from the Clans and passes to his R&D teams). The only group with the toys to match would be the Cappies, and that seems like an even less desirable position to sign on to.

In any event, it's going to be awhile before we have to make those decisions. Still a lot of possible headcaps to eat.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Rorahusky posted:

Not grand enough. How about Galaxy Buster?

Literally just google big ghost nah mean and pick a intro

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

Literally just google big ghost nah mean and pick a intro

http://bigghostlimited.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Screamer for jumping shenanigans and the Stag for somehow staying alive.;

• Locked thread