Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Yeah, Austin says "I don't remember that" frequently when he's talking to Russo about Attitude Era stuff that he was directly involved in. He clearly has holes in his memory caused by concussions :(

usually he says "I don't remember that" as a polite way of saying "bullshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

What was the point of the podcast anyway - did Jericho think it would make people like Benoit more?

Did you even listen to it? He tells the entire backstory in the first 10 minutes. If you can't figure out why he'd do a podcast with someone who was closest to the biggest news story in wrestling history, I don't know what to tell you.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I had always assumed a lot of Austin's "memory issues" were him disagreeing or not wanting to talk about something. But I also imagine just about any wrestler from that time period did have actual matches and events they were out of it for so who knows

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Call Me Charlie posted:

Steve literally couldn't remember getting the biggest jesus pop ever doing a run-in when Mankind won the title.

That pop wasn't poo poo compared to the Backlash 2000 pop

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hell the biggest pop from Mankind's win was for Billy Gunn sliding his rear end almost completely out of the ring from diving in the other side

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Decided to listen to WOL actually live today. This radio advertising.... :stare:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Major Ultima Lucha 3 spoiler in the daily update today :(

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

:)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Half an hour in to the latest WOR and I don't think Bryan's managed 3 full sentences yet

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

"Chris probably did it." --Dave Meltzer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"We're reviewing UWF next weekend" - Bryan Alvarez

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Great caller on LAW revealing some huge details regarding Roman's future: WWE career is done, he's NBA bound and the Lakers are close to signing him.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Great caller on LAW revealing some huge details regarding Roman's future: WWE career is done, he's NBA bound and the Lakers are close to signing him.

Come on... stop with that!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I had always assumed a lot of Austin's "memory issues" were him disagreeing or not wanting to talk about something. But I also imagine just about any wrestler from that time period did have actual matches and events they were out of it for so who knows

This is very possible but I mean let's also all remember that this is a man who very much lives his gimmick of being a beer-drinking redneck. Alcohol use over an extended period of time is not great for the memory, and in particular Austin makes reference to a "dark period" in the early 2000s (I think?) which has always seemed to me like a time when even HE thought he was drinking too much.

The concussions don't help.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Captain Magic posted:

This is very possible but I mean let's also all remember that this is a man who very much lives his gimmick of being a beer-drinking redneck. Alcohol use over an extended period of time is not great for the memory, and in particular Austin makes reference to a "dark period" in the early 2000s (I think?) which has always seemed to me like a time when even HE thought he was drinking too much.

The concussions don't help.

The "dark period" is when he was physically abusing his wife

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
That Jericho podcast with Nancy Benoit's sister is kinda uncomfortable to listen to, but well worth it. She paints a good picture of their family life and says it all completely straight.

Also Chris and Eddie obsessively reading the backs of food packaging together is my new favorite wrestling buddy story.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Electric Lady posted:

The "dark period" is when he was physically abusing his wife

Yeah my assumption was that the physical assault and the drinking went hand in hand with each other, but maybe not.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The pills didn't help

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Maybe Austin could give some insight to what would make a person who seems normal suddenly flip and beat the hell out of his wife.

Nancy's sister said it wasn't even a quick act of rage. It was deliberate. She said for all she knows, Chris planned everything out before the weekend.

Oh and Jericho said he might have been possessed by demons.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Admittedly I listened to this pretty drunk but even I know he said something along the lines of "we'll never know what happened, he could have been possessed by demons for all we know ", which isn't as ridiculous as you make it sound.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On the other hand, Jericho occasionally has podcasts where they talk about ghosts, so who really knows? He could be possessed by demons for all we know.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Nancy's sister said it wasn't even a quick act of rage. It was deliberate. She said for all she knows, Chris planned everything out before the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMi9HRsLvZc :tinfoil:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah my assumption was that the physical assault and the drinking went hand in hand with each other, but maybe not.

Oh, undoubtedly, it's just that that's the only thing he will say when he even comes close to talking about it. He does not want to talk about it (and, if what he has written before is still true and the gag order is still in place, cannot talk about it) at all, and that's the phrase he seems to always use to say so in so many words.

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 27, 2016

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Admittedly I listened to this pretty drunk but even I know he said something along the lines of "we'll never know what happened, he could have been possessed by demons for all we know ", which isn't as ridiculous as you make it sound.

I made it sound that way on purpose. Yeah, he was joking.

The whole interview wasn't as crushingly depressing as you might think. Parts are, but they joke around a lot and mostly share good stories. She has a good head. She said something like when she gets depressed over it, she imagines her sister telling her to snap out of it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Isn't Jericho fairly religious?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I made it sound that way on purpose. Yeah, he was joking.

The whole interview wasn't as crushingly depressing as you might think. Parts are, but they joke around a lot and mostly share good stories. She has a good head. She said something like when she gets depressed over it, she imagines her sister telling her to snap out of it.
Oh yeah, it was actually quite touching, but I think a big part of that is that Sandra doesn't come down harshly on Benoit at all, but admits her feelings about him are complicated. It says a lot that she spends most of the episode talking about him in a very favourable way that humanises him, and its clear shes spent a lot of time just trying to understand what happened rather than boiling up all that hate.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yep. Even briefly touches upon it by mentioning how he, Eddie and Benoit had prayed before matches on a few occasions.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Gorn Myson posted:

Oh yeah, it was actually quite touching, but I think a big part of that is that Sandra doesn't come down harshly on Benoit at all, but admits her feelings about him are complicated. It says a lot that she spends most of the episode talking about him in a very favourable way that humanises him, and its clear shes spent a lot of time just trying to understand what happened rather than boiling up all that hate.

Yep. Even briefly touches upon it by mentioning how he, Eddie and Benoit had prayed before matches on a few occasions.

It's probably a testament to their conversation that at times you forget who they're talking about, particularly early on where they skirt around saying some unsavoury things about Kevin Sullivan and talk about how deeply in love Benoit and Nancy were. It would be easy for her to talk about what a piece of poo poo he was, or how the signs were there all along, but listening to them talk you can see why people who really knew Benoit had a hard time understanding why he did what he did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even though he overwhelmed Bryan (who actually knew Benoit better by all accounts?) I really enjoyed Dave discussing the Jericho podcast on the latest Observer Radio. Just the way he is STILL trying to wrap his head around the enormity of what Benoit did as well as attempt to figure out exactly what Benoit's standing/contribution to wrestling was and should be is really fascinating. Just like with Nancy's sister and Jericho, it's clear that to this day nobody can reconcile the man they knew with the things he did.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 28, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think next week's classic observer will have Owen Hart's obituary. :smith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

I think next week's classic observer will have Owen Hart's obituary. :smith:

Yep :cry:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sandra, Chris, Bryan and Dave deserve enormous credit for their output this week. Really getting deep into Benoit & the complexities of the situation. Sandra's story in particular was strangely inspiring.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Sandra, Chris, Bryan and Dave deserve enormous credit for their output this week. Really getting deep into Benoit & the complexities of the situation. Sandra's story in particular was strangely inspiring.

Yes, indeed. She says she tries to remember the good times because she doesn't want to have a bitter mind. She even talked about how Nancy was big into forgiveness. Wow.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I'm listening to yesterdays WOR about the Benoit stuff and one thing that keeps bugging me is the destroyed diary letters to dead Eddie. Like what's that about? I love my friends, and I guess a diary would be a good way to process grief if I lost one, but to destroy it before you kill yourself, what would he be trying to hide? I mean it's not like he cared about any of the other drug evidence and what not.

What I'm getting at is was he gay for Eddie or something? I don't want to jump to that conclusion because it could be tons of other things. That's just the first thing that popped into my head given how close they were. Maybe he somehow felt responsible for Eddie's death? Hell maybe it's as simple as he looked at the diary and said "wtf I'm a grown man, why am I writing like some nancy boy about feelings and stuff!" I dunno.

Anyway, anybody got some light on what it was about maybe?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Maybe Benoit was to take a really bad secret of Eddie's to the grave, and it was in there. for example maybe Eddie used a 'game enhancer' to pirate every playstation 1 game ever made

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah he is, but he didn't go on a rant or anything and just brought it up in one line throwing other random one line reasons how they'll never fully know because no one else was there. Wasn't weird at all in context.

Podcast was an amazing listen I just want to nip anything about that in the bud right away because it felt like a really really bad tangent to take this on when it was all very enlightening.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 28, 2016

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

Cavauro posted:

Maybe Benoit was to take a really bad secret of Eddie's to the grave, and it was in there. for example maybe Eddie used a 'game enhancer' to pirate every playstation 1 game ever made

So are you a gameshark guy or an action replay dude? Personally, I like to swim with the sharks! :smugbird:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Cavauro posted:

Maybe Benoit was to take a really bad secret of Eddie's to the grave, and it was in there.
Benoit was the one person that knew that Ice Train was actually Chavo Guerrero's Favorite Wrestler in 1998, but went along with the charade for Eddie's sake. Once Eddie died, he couldn't carry that weight anymore.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tr33 posted:

I'm listening to yesterdays WOR about the Benoit stuff and one thing that keeps bugging me is the destroyed diary letters to dead Eddie. Like what's that about? I love my friends, and I guess a diary would be a good way to process grief if I lost one, but to destroy it before you kill yourself, what would he be trying to hide? I mean it's not like he cared about any of the other drug evidence and what not.

What I'm getting at is was he gay for Eddie or something? I don't want to jump to that conclusion because it could be tons of other things. That's just the first thing that popped into my head given how close they were. Maybe he somehow felt responsible for Eddie's death? Hell maybe it's as simple as he looked at the diary and said "wtf I'm a grown man, why am I writing like some nancy boy about feelings and stuff!" I dunno.

Anyway, anybody got some light on what it was about maybe?

I don't know how much stock you can really put into all that. He was in the midst of a break, maybe he thought it made him look weak, maybe he realised what he had done and he was punishing himself. From what Sandra says it was her suggestion that he start writing to Eddie since it was something that she was introduced to at counselling. According to her he had stopped doing it a couple of months before it all happened and it's possible he read them and then destroyed them for *reasons*.

Ultimately, like they both say, there's so much we just won't know.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Dave's rant about the Chinese language broadcast was totally insane. They welcome viewers from other countries on every pay per view before they cut to the Spanish announcers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He even conceded that it was fair enough for WWE to point out that they were broadcasting in China, so really his whole rant was because they worded it slightly weirdly

• Locked thread