Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks for the explanation, everyone, makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I just want CM Punk to have the balls, for once in his life, to drink a loving beer.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I just want CM Punk to have the balls, for once in his life, to drink a loving beer.

Drink your poison, he wants you to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuP8tqxeslY

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

I dont think it takes bravery to drink beer, nor do I use something somebody drinks sometimes as a litmus test for bravery.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

please respect your straight edge friends, they make great designated drivers

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

me too man

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

punk drink the beer

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

RZApublican posted:

punk drink the beer

Guy Fieri would ruin that too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Keg posted:

Aside from minor details like CM Punk being old, injured, and inexperienced?

Brock's a year older than Punk, haven't seen many posts saying he's old. Random note. I turned 30 a month ago, I hope I'm not old yet. I'm a young man! Very young. And manly.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Heavy Metal posted:

Brock's a year older than Punk, haven't seen many posts saying he's old. Random note. I turned 30 a month ago, I hope I'm not old yet. I'm a young man! Very young. And manly.

Brock at the very least has a modicum of experience from his early years as a wrestler and fights in a division where the average age is like 36, and all of the fighters are bad besides maybe 3.

One is not like the other for very stark reasons.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

-Atom- posted:

Brock at the very least has a modicum of experience from his early years as a wrestler and fights in a division where the average age is like 36, and all of the fighters are bad besides maybe 3.

One is not like the other for very stark reasons.

I was only comparing and making a point of one thing though, no doubt, I'm not saying Punk is on par with Brock or anything. I just think it's interesting, maybe it's a matter of perception. People here just don't think of Brock as old, but do Punk for some reason. Could be as simple as that he looks kind of tired at times etc.

If the average age of one UFC division is 36, isn't that another reason why saying 37 year old punk is old seems unusual?

(edit: I meant to say 37 years young Punk)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 27, 2016

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

37 is pretty old to make a debut in a sport, regardless of how much experience or training you have under your belt.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Heavy Metal posted:

I was only comparing and making a point of one thing though, no doubt, I'm not saying Punk is on par with Brock or anything. I just think it's interesting, maybe it's a matter of perception. People here just don't think of Brock as old, but do Punk for some reason. Could be as simple as that he looks kind of tired at times etc.

He's old in that he decided after having fun rolling a few times a month online via the Gracie Academy that he can fight MMA, which covers many facets that aren't anything that he's even remotely considered until he was signed to the UFC.

There's guys that have no amateur fights that would wreck his poo poo, because this sport is all about playing for keeps, and not some Make a Wish thing to suppress a former wrestler's hardon to walkout in UFC gloves.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Chris James 2 posted:

37 is pretty old to make a debut in a sport, regardless of how much experience or training you have under your belt.

Sure, if we include more context and descriptiveness, there are all sorts of ways Punk is not in a good position.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Avg age of Heavyweight, where the reigning peoples champ is big kfc and counterstrike fan. Its a special division.

Punks fighting at 170 yeah? Home to the hitler youth robot and motherfucking shang tsung himself, robert lawler. He isnt fighting someone who cuts weight to reach the fatty limit.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Punk could go full auswitchz and be a flyweight but mmmmmdj would still wreck his poo poo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm creating a film called 'the problems that arise when one person is arguing based on one meaning of a single word and everyone else is talking about that word solely in the context that it's been used all along on this subject' and its going to be gooder than most

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Heavy Metal posted:

If the average age of one UFC division is 36, isn't that another reason why saying 37 year old punk is old seems unusual?

(edit: I meant to say 37 years young Punk)

Not really because the average age of the division he wants to compete in is 31.375, based on the champion and UFC-ranked top 15.

People point to Randy Couture getting into MMA at 33 or whatever but at that point in time he was already a world-class amateur wrestler, and an excellent all-round athlete. Punk is 37 and unathletic and has had lots of injuries. Brock and Randy are old for fighters, but had massive success in relevant sports before MMA as well as being freak athletes. Punk is old for a fighter and has none of their advantages.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SquirrelGrip posted:

Avg age of Heavyweight, where the reigning peoples champ is big kfc and counterstrike fan. Its a special division.

Punks fighting at 170 yeah? Home to the hitler youth robot and motherfucking shang tsung himself, robert lawler. He isnt fighting someone who cuts weight to reach the fatty limit.

Shang Tsung was old in the first MK game, so did we see this Robert guy being old, then later being young? That's the only way we'd know for sure he was absorbing human souls, these are bold claims.

Memento posted:

Not really because the average age of the division he wants to compete in is 31.375, based on the champion and UFC-ranked top 15.

People point to Randy Couture getting into MMA at 33 or whatever but at that point in time he was already a world-class amateur wrestler, and an excellent all-round athlete. Punk is 37 and unathletic and has had lots of injuries. Brock and Randy are old for fighters, but had massive success in relevant sports before MMA as well as being freak athletes. Punk is old for a fighter and has none of their advantages.

Brock is old too? What have I done. These are young men with their whole lives ahead of them, 37 is the new 27. I'm not saying Punk will be good at learning and executing MMA or anything.

Cavauro posted:

i'm creating a film called 'the problems that arise when one person is arguing based on one meaning of a single word and everyone else is talking about that word solely in the context that it's been used all along on this subject' and its going to be gooder than most

I love that movie Face/Off. We could call this one Context/Off. I want to take your context... off... (I'd like Nic Cage to play me, he can still play young. It'll be funny, like how Pee-Wee Herman is supposed to be young)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 27, 2016

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
im basing this off the fact he said he would take a mans soul and I believed him

also the blood

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Heavy Metal posted:

Brock is old too? What have I done. These are young men with their whole lives ahead of them, 37 is the new 27. I'm not saying Punk will be good at learning and executing MMA or anything.

You said it was odd that CM Punk is being called old for being 37. I am saying that older MMA fighters can still be excellent, if they have a fighting background. Randy was 37 when he won his first title, and that was old for an MMA fighter. Punk will (if he fights) be 37 when he fights for the first time, which is old for an MMA fighter. Brock is coming back to the UFC at age 38, which is old for an MMA fighter. The difference is that old for an MMA fighter can be negated by "decades of top-level competition in relevant combat sports". Punk has none of these.

You can't hold up Heavyweight as a shining example for how older dudes can still fight because most of them are terrible and only get wins by throwing BRH knockouts.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
what if he wins effortlessly like a wily old veteran schooling some youngsters in front of their girlfriends

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Memento posted:

You said it was odd that CM Punk is being called old for being 37. I am saying that older MMA fighters can still be excellent, if they have a fighting background. Randy was 37 when he won his first title, and that was old for an MMA fighter. Punk will (if he fights) be 37 when he fights for the first time, which is old for an MMA fighter. Brock is coming back to the UFC at age 38, which is old for an MMA fighter. The difference is that old for an MMA fighter can be negated by "decades of top-level competition in relevant combat sports". Punk has none of these.

You can't hold up Heavyweight as a shining example for how older dudes can still fight because most of them are terrible and only get wins by throwing BRH knockouts.

I just found it of note that it seemed everybody was saying Punk is old but not Brock. Granted Brock has a lot more going for him, just seemed like an observation to make. If it helps, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

While I'm defending Punk for no real reason, I find it odd people keep saying "he's of course not at all a naturally gifted athlete". Seen a few posts saying something like that. I mean, I think doing a springboard move where you jump, balance on the top rope, then catapult your body flying through the air and stuff, that's athletic. And having cardio to last for 30 minutes picking up huge people etc. Just saying.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 27, 2016

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Coward Man Punk

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
maybe he'll get rnced and we can get choke magnet punk trending on twitter

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Heavy Metal posted:

If it helps, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

you don't say

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
if you normally pretend to punch people then all it takes for you to be a world-class fighter is to stop pretending

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I really want CM Punk to be a secret fighting expert and become the greatest of all time

I would be okay losing money if this was the result.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

please respect your straight edge friends, they make great designated drivers

truth

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Heavy Metal posted:

I just found it of note that it seemed everybody was saying Punk is old but not Brock. Granted Brock has a lot more going for him, just seemed like an observation to make. If it helps, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

While I'm defending Punk for no real reason, I find it odd people keep saying "he's of course not at all a naturally gifted athlete". Seen a few posts saying something like that. I mean, I think doing a springboard move where you jump, balance on the top rope, then catapult your body flying through the air and stuff, that's athletic. And having cardio to last for 30 minutes picking up huge people etc. Just saying.

MMA is a lot harder than pro wrestling because guys aren't going to bump for you and will actively resist any offense you initiate against them.

Phillip Brooks has no background in any sports so he is probably not used to working hard, also he's a baby. You can't compare him to Brock Lesnar in any way, a guy who had a good record in amateur wrestling and still took a couple years to train before having his first pro fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

Phillip Brooks has no background in any sports so he is probably not used to working hard

I don't know anything about pro wrestling training, but I would think whatever it entails would probably qualify as hard.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The full pro wrestling schedule was too much for Lesnar and the training is rough too. Training for BJJ people won't go out of their way to injure you to see if you're still "man enough" for it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

The full pro wrestling schedule was too much for Lesnar and the training is rough too. Training for BJJ people won't go out of their way to injure you to see if you're still "man enough" for it.

AKA and RoufusSport exist

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I've trained and competed in MMA and am currently training in pro-wrestling and the "tough guy" stuff is ridiculous

That being said wrestling training is still considerably harder than MMA training

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Here's Punk attempting to put an armbar submission on someone not fighting him:

This doesn't inspire much confidence, does it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's not even a regulation uniform he's wearing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Here's Punk attempting to put an armbar submission on someone not fighting him:

This doesn't inspire much confidence, does it?

Everyone knows that Jericho's jits is so good, he can make anything look effortless. You'll never see a more skillful armbar escape.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bluedeanie posted:

That seems like the kind of thing only 12 people in the world will know and care about, so I doubt it. Besides, the whole real reason they're rushing to Cleveland for the first time ever is because Stipe broke the curse.

Yeah but CM Punk and Vince McMahon are two of those people.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but CM Punk and Vince McMahon are two of those people.

The UFC isn't in the business of trying to gently caress with the WWE in any meaningful way, so the fact that it's the sort of thing that Vince McMahon would get irrationally upset about is all the more reason that is not a deliberate choice on the UFC's part.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I wanna see Jericho in UFC now.

gently caress it, also the nWo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bluedeanie posted:

The UFC isn't in the business of trying to gently caress with the WWE in any meaningful way, so the fact that it's the sort of thing that Vince McMahon would get irrationally upset about is all the more reason that is not a deliberate choice on the UFC's part.

Yeah but you already said nobody in UFC knows.

• Locked thread