Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

That's still an incredibly high percentage of conversions.

What's a normal percentage out of curiosity? Monica said 20% would be "really bad," but that honestly didn't sound too bad to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's a normal percentage out of curiosity? Monica said 20% would be "really bad," but that honestly didn't sound too bad to me.

It all depends on the type of product/service, but 20% would be amazing pretty much anywhere. If you could convert above 5% you're a god.

edit: quick google search finds this article about prime vs non-prime conversions, they say average is about 3.32% for the top 500 merchants and that sounds about right to me.

https://www.internetretailer.com/2015/06/25/amazon-prime-members-convert-74-time

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So they're not really that far off in the real world. So for real world average they would have to hit about 5mil downloads.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Big Head or Big Heads dad buys pied piper?

Edit; Not entirely wrong!

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 27, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"So yeah, hey...we're going to basically be starting from scratch on a completely new product, meaning these past three seasons have meant nothing and we can go through all the same drama and wacky antics all over again!"

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Best JinYang prank call yet.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

Best JinYang prank call yet.

Jin Yang kills me every time.

Company going to be renamed to Big Head?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Erlich's story about securing their series B funding / jacking off in a Restoration Hardware was fantastic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Killer ending / love this show.

"I'm you and I'm old and ugly!"

Or
Something like that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

"I'm ugly, and I'm dead" lmao.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I loved how quickly Erlich forgave Richard. I ALMOST believed the seriousness of his claims.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jared's line asking if board meetings were always this interesting killed me

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Jared's line asking if board meetings were always this interesting killed me

Jared mimicking Richard's movements while they were both on the top bunk bed was hilarious... and when he followed his falling backwards move and banged his head, that's what killed me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tarlibone posted:

Jared mimicking Richard's movements while they were both on the top bunk bed was hilarious... and when he followed his falling backwards move and banged his head, that's what killed me.

Jared had a great so, his puppy dog window look when Richard was getting in the car was also great.

And the "don't weaponize my love for the company to use against me" line.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I spent all season wanting always blue to happen.

It happened.

:iia:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Jin Yang telling Richard he can stay for a year was incredible.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"So yeah, hey...we're going to basically be starting from scratch on a completely new product, meaning these past three seasons have meant nothing and we can go through all the same drama and wacky antics all over again!"

*inhales* BIG......HEAD.....line *laughs*

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"So yeah, hey...we're going to basically be starting from scratch on a completely new product
They basically rebooted the show back to where they're a small plucky company in need of funding if they want to take the next step. Except this time they have a less dumb name and a product that normal users will be a) interested in and b) able to understand without two hours of explanations. And they already have a pretty good user base.

If anything, the writers will have to work double time next season to manufacture some obstacles to overcome for the Pied Piper Bighead Gang.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

They basically rebooted the show back to where they're a small plucky company in need of funding if they want to take the next step. Except this time they have a less dumb name and a product that normal users will be a) interested in and b) able to understand without two hours of explanations. And they already have a pretty good user base.

If anything, the writers will have to work double time next season to manufacture some obstacles to overcome for the Pied Piper Bighead Gang.
Yeah if their technology works, NON-poo poo-SKYPE sounds like a slam dunk.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with Skype at the moment?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I imagine HD video chat just doesn't work in many many many countries where data speeds are below 4g.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If real, shouldn't something like pied piper be applicable to internet backbones? It's like instant encryption and decryption and you can interact with compressed data. They should be making billions already by shrinking all internet traffic to a fraction of its size.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

priznat posted:

Jared had a great so, his puppy dog window look when Richard was getting in the car was also great.

And the "don't weaponize my love for the company to use against me" line.

Jared is the best.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's like the EU, it works and everyone uses it but that's only beacuse the alternatives are somehow even worse.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Accretionist posted:

If real, shouldn't something like pied piper be applicable to internet backbones? It's like instant encryption and decryption and you can interact with compressed data. They should be making billions already by shrinking all internet traffic to a fraction of its size.

Yes, and I've been saying this since season 1 -- Comcast/Time Warner et al would pay out the nose to basically double or triple their bandwidth. They should also be pairing up with the team behind something like VLC media player or Windows Media Player to create the next-gen replacement for the mp4/mkv video formats, a PP-powered mp5 that's half as big as current video files and decompresses instantly when played. Or with Microsoft themselves to make PP compression/decompression the new standard in modern OSs, and completely replace rar/zip usage.

Having an online platform where users upload their own data and storing it for them on the cloud in a sort of compressed Dropbox is probably the dumbest use of the technology I can think of, actually. Even the Box seemed more useful and marketable. But this is a TV show.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

I spent all season wanting always blue to happen.

It happened.

:iia:
What am I missing here?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Yes, and I've been saying this since season 1 -- Comcast/Time Warner et al would pay out the nose to basically double or triple their bandwidth. They should also be pairing up with the team behind something like VLC media player or Windows Media Player to create the next-gen replacement for the mp4/mkv video formats, a PP-powered mp5 that's half as big as current video files and decompresses instantly when played. Or with Microsoft themselves to make PP compression/decompression the new standard in modern OSs, and completely replace rar/zip usage.

Having an online platform where users upload their own data and storing it for them on the cloud in a sort of compressed Dropbox is probably the dumbest use of the technology I can think of, actually. Even the Box seemed more useful and marketable. But this is a TV show.

I bet Gavin would have done all of this if Richard had just sold it to him in the first season. Take the 10mil and ask for like 4% of Hooli stock so he's not a majority holder and run away from the tech world a famous billionaire with in a couple of years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

VagueRant posted:

What am I missing here?

The ball at the end of the episode.

"Always blue! Always blue! Always blue! Always blue!"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah so apparently the lovely UI did wind up killing a technology that was presented as a futuristic innovation up to that point?

Weak.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
episode owned, especially jian yiang who is one of those characters that magically is used "just enough" to remain incredibly funny

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ah so apparently the lovely UI did wind up killing a technology that was presented as a futuristic innovation up to that point?

Weak.

The platform isn't dead, just unpopular. They could pick up that plotline at any time when they get more money again next season. Plus this makes more sense, their first breakthrough success was the stream and the video chat is the logical conclusion of that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Phenotype posted:

Agreed. I think I posted a while back about how their best play was probably applying their compression technology to video and licensing it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
They can still work on the platform once people become understanding enough to get it while pivoting to an easily graspable product of the video streaming.

Realistically, if this level of nigh-instant compression/decompression existed it WOULD change the world like Richard rants about during Jack's horse insemination. Over half the traffic on the internet now is video. Implement that with Netflix and YouTube and suddenly it's like we've just doubled all our internet speeds. B2B data becomes almost a non-issue. Cloud providers like AWS go from juggernauts to gods as they're able to serve up just about any data in a fraction of the time. At that point every other technology has to sprint to catch up.

Loved the finale, but I feel kinda weird that overall Pied Piper is in a good spot and no real poo poo is bearing down on them at the moment. Maybe it means they can break the mold and go a different direction with things now instead of another season of the "fail, slight recovery, tangent success, fail...." thing they've done.

Don't get me wrong. I love the show so another season as good as these would be fine even if they kept to the same mold.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mortanis posted:

Loved the finale, but I feel kinda weird that overall Pied Piper is in a good spot and no real poo poo is bearing down on them at the moment. Maybe it means they can break the mold and go a different direction with things now instead of another season of the "fail, slight recovery, tangent success, fail...." thing they've done.

They are still broke. Erlich and Big Head spent their whole wad on getting Pied Piper from Gavin and now they have no VC funding and no VC is likely going to touch them after the click fraud.

I expect the next season will be about them trying to license the tech out to streaming services, using the video chat as the proof that it works. That would get cash following without needing VC support.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Toplowtech posted:

They might also wade into the territory of the WeChat/Messenger/Allo/etc. matters happening right now

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Illinois Smith posted:

It's a little more subtle than that. Repositioning and releasing a completely different product than originally intended is kind of a tradition among SV startups. Twitter was originally founded as a podcasting startup. The guys who built slack originally tried to make an MMO. Tons of companies start with one idea, fail at it, then take what works and turn that into a product.

It's a very appropriate transition for Pied Piper - especially since video chat is something most people would find more relevant and easier to understand than compression.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

gret posted:

Agreed. I think I posted a while back about how their best play was probably applying their compression technology to video and licensing it.
Seriously.

How many people do you think that Reed Hastings would personally jerk off to reduce bandwidth usage and storage by that amount?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Raviga had an initial investment of $10 million right? Wouldn't this sale be a huge loss for them, or did I completely miss something? I know they mentioned that Laurie doesn't like even a whiff of fraud, but it still seems like a weird panic move to me. I guess I shouldn't care since it was plot driven, but I guess this means no Raviga stuff next season.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah they're writing Laurie out, but even in the real world that kind of loss isn't going to be a major concern for a VC firm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's a matter of performance/reliability. Their "stuck man" eagle stream had a super high quality compression, if they can do that or have lower resolutions with better reliability, less crash, they are market leader in their universe if in universe their rivals are real world equivalents.

John Big Booty posted:

Seriously.

How many people do you think that Reed Hastings would personally jerk off to reduce bandwidth usage and storage by that amount?
Netflix wouldn't be the only one interested. The amount of money Amazon would pay to have that on twitch to kill their rivals streaming concurrents would be something. Licensing that poo poo to Hulu, Youtube and everything that provide video would represent billions of dollars. And if they can integrate their technology to normal tv/cable, it's even more money.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 27, 2016

• Locked thread