Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

Remember when people complained about green having no playable cards? SEems not that long agoo

What does green not do well these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

What does green not do well these days?

Discard and mass removal. And flying I guess. Good work defending the color pie, Rosewater.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Discard and mass removal. And flying I guess. Good work defending the color pie, Rosewater.

I hear dragonlord atarka is pretty good. Too bad its paired with a bad color.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"Thragtusk isn't even why the deck is good," they said.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

Post the most creative MTGO potential rules bug with meld.

Gisela and Bruna meld and flip into MissingNo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

When did Linvala, Keeper of Silence become a 50 dollar card?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Gisela and Bruna meld and flip into MissingNo.

Sweet, does that mean I can get infinite master balls?

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Elyv posted:

Sweet, does that mean I can get infinite master balls?

No, but you get infinite of whatever card is sixth from the top of your deck. Hope it isn't a basic land!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

When did Linvala, Keeper of Silence become a 50 dollar card?

When it, absurdly, didn't get reprinted in From the Vault: Angels or Modern Masters 2015.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Calling it now. Meld will work 100% perfectly fine.

When Eldritch Moon releases, Howl From Beyond will not require you to PAY the X, Wall of Mulch will not require you to sacrifice anything, just "G: Draw a card.", and Agonizing Demise will only let you target your own creatures (but will still deal damage to the opponent).

From what I've heard, MTGO bugs aren't reasonably expected. See also: two versions of the same card, one of them not working.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Serperoth posted:

Calling it now. Meld will work 100% perfectly fine.

When Eldritch Moon releases, Howl From Beyond will not require you to PAY the X, Wall of Mulch will not require you to sacrifice anything, just "G: Draw a card.", and Agonizing Demise will only let you target your own creatures (but will still deal damage to the opponent).

From what I've heard, MTGO bugs aren't reasonably expected. See also: two versions of the same card, one of them not working.

Yeah. I expect it'll be even less explicable than "Goblin token blocks Serum Visions".

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

At least this time the bugs will be flavorful.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So Meld is a special DFC that flips into half a BFM? Sounds pretty fun and an interesting prospect for drafts, but it will mean you often have a bunch of dead cards in your sealed pool unless they use the machine-readable printing to get both of a pair into a pack, which seems unlikely with the Bruna/Gisela fusion almost certainly being a pair of rares.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They did get the 'always print these two cards in the same pack' thing down in Origins right? Maybe they come together and you're allowed to just pick both.

Also there's an implication that the horrifying angel fusion will appear in full art on the back of a card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

So Meld is a special DFC that flips into half a BFM? Sounds pretty fun and an interesting prospect for drafts, but it will mean you often have a bunch of dead cards in your sealed pool unless they use the machine-readable printing to get both of a pair into a pack, which seems unlikely with the Bruna/Gisela fusion almost certainly being a pair of rares.

I would assume that the rares in particular have a front side that's completely playable even if you can't flip it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm gonna assume that the basic pattern is a generic common with just the "(this melds with x)" reminder text and then an uncommon which does the actual process of melding but isn't as good of you're missing the other half.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I want Magic Exodia.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Something, er... odd has happened.

MaRo have you done something with your hair?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Lord of Hats posted:

If they actually pull this off, I'm going to be loving impressed. Though I have to wonder if Bruna and Gisela won't be on one card, and fuse with something else, because otherwise that will literally never happen in Limited.

It's certainly ambitious. There's the problem of assembling the combo in your deck in the first place (having a bunch of mismatched meld halves in sealed will be frustrating, and SOI already wasn't the greatest sealed format), but that sort of tension can be good for draft. As well as the inherent issue in 2 for 1 ing your self (of course, we don't know the specifics, you might well get a free token when melding occurs).

And, for limited, the mechanic scales poorly with rarity.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
They'll probably have a bunch of enablers, no point in it otherwise.

I'm just glad they are doing something interesting and different for a change. Even if it ends up being a lovely underpowered mechanic I'd rather see twenty of it than another multicolored set. Too bad they didn't go full hog on it and use it on new Emrakul.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
It's probably going to be some kind of sorcery with the rider "if Bruna and Gisela are on the battlefield, meld them into ~"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

Remember when people complained about green having no playable cards? SEems not that long agoo

Remember when everyone wanted mono-black control to come back and then it did and they hated it? This poo poo is cyclical. Red or Blue or some other poo poo will rise to the top, people will whine about how green is hosed etc, then mono-red will run over people and on and on and on. The only constant is magic players are whiny.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's probably going to be some kind of sorcery with the rider "if Bruna and Gisela are on the battlefield, meld them into ~"

This is Yu Gi Oh as hell already.

We don't need Polymerization too.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This is actual spoiler week right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

This is actual spoiler week right?

yup

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

if the front halves are playable enough the meld is just an upside. a 5 mana 3/3 stapled to Raise Dead isn't awful, it's ok. i can see putting that card in my deck sometimes. i'm assuming the back halves will be totally bullshit to make up for the difficulty of flipping them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if the front halves are playable enough the meld is just an upside. a 5 mana 3/3 stapled to Raise Dead isn't awful, it's ok. i can see putting that card in my deck sometimes. i'm assuming the back halves will be totally bullshit to make up for the difficulty of flipping them.

The example we've seen isn't voluntary, so it wouldn't just be an upside.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Forests will only tap for colorless mana

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I wonder if that Hanweir Township card we only saw the rear side of is actually the product of Meld cards? I mean it would make flavour sense.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What is ftv: lore supposed to be except ftv: legends, but different ones than last time

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

What is ftv: lore supposed to be except ftv: legends, but different ones than last time

A bunch of cards that depict important story moments or something. So like, I don't know, Legacy Weapon and Crux of Fate and stuff? I can't think of any money cards that fit the description off the top of my head. Maybe Karn Liberated?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Molybdenum posted:

Legends were cards nobody gave a poo poo about but COMMANDER, Lore will be stuff that is/was ~relevant to the story~.

The supposed leak was

Phyrexian Arena
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Ertai, the Corrupted (with Kev Walker's art)
Momir Vig (new art)
Garruk, Apex Predator
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Konda, Lord of Eijango
Rhys, the Redeemed
Dark Depths (new art)
Legacy Weapon
Mirari (new art)
Final Judgment
Jin Gitaxis
Memnarch
Vojak, the Elderhorn

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Frozen_flame posted:

Lmao

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think rather than have two Meld cards flip over and then voltron together like B.F.M., it would make a lot more sense to just print the same squid-side on the back of both cards. I.e. Midnight Scavengers and Graf Rats would both have the whole card Chittering Host printed on their back side, same as any other DFC, and when you 'meld' them you exile both and then choose one to put back onto the battlefield transformed.

The rules text would even be pretty simple, you can just have "meld these cards" mean "exile these cards and then put one of them onto the battlefield transformed".

The advantages would be 1) you don't have a dumb double-sized voltron thing taking up a bunch of space on your battlefield and being unwieldy to tap and untap. 2) You wouldn't be restricted to exactly 2 cards melding into one. 3) It would make Ken Nagle sad by sabotaging the whole point of his mechanic.

The only disadvantage I can think of would be that when the flipped card dies, you'd end up with only the one half in your graveyard and the other is stuck in exile forever. I guess maybe you get to choose which one you put on the battlefield based on which one you'd rather have in your graveyard if it dies?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

omg looooooool

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Meld seems awful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just hope there's regular DFCs in the set as well and they don't all depend on drafting and playing multiple specific cards together.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I'm pretty unfamiliar with the new block structures, is there a hard limit on the number of SOI mechanics that will be returning?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Kevin Jones is a very nice and good dude. Glad he won even if he's on Jim Davis' dumb team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Kevin Jones is a very nice and good dude. Glad he won even if he's on Jim Davis' dumb team.

Got the chance to hang out with him several times at the open and I can confirm that he is a cool dude who doesn't take himself seriously. I find it weird he is even on that team with his personality.

• Locked thread