Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What the hell kind of superhero uses a gun to shoot people in the face????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chomp8645 posted:

One that doesn't have the guy come back a few issues later for revenge.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

One that doesn't have the guy come back a few issues later for revenge.

if you think a gun has ever stopped anyone from coming back to life you don't know much about comic books

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pamphlets/brochures in hotel lobbies are really stretching the definition of "social media" but my traveling friend just discovered this treasure and it deserves to be shared. Welcome to PARROT MOUNTAIN, where “In the Beginning GOD Created All Things." Come "See, Touch & Feed God's Beautiful Tropical Birds."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

George is an abomination. Would not snuggle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Munchables posted:

Speak for yourself :smuggo:

Because it's so small you don't need to bend it down that far?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Worked pretty well for Thomas Wayne. His real problem was the alcoholism.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
"Tico" is really hands on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pamphlets/brochures in hotel lobbies are really stretching the definition of "social media" but my traveling friend just discovered this treasure and it deserves to be shared. Welcome to PARROT MOUNTAIN, where “In the Beginning GOD Created All Things." Come "See, Touch & Feed God's Beautiful Tropical Birds."

Mak0rz posted:

George is an abomination. Would not snuggle.

"WAaaaaak George shouldn't be!!! *whistle*"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"WAaaaaak George shouldn't be!!! *whistle*"

Waaaaak! Hemocrates, a friend of Socrates!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

How somebody seriously, unironically put this to print is beyond me.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

That last panel is trying way too hard.

"Here I am looking at poo poo under a microscope. That way you know I'm a scientist, since that's what all scientists do, just spending every moment of their free time looking at slides under a microscope. Not to mention my DNA model I bought at ThinkGeek. But you know I'm a badass too, since I have both a knife and a grenade placed randomly on my desk, and a giant painting of a gun for some reason. :downs:"

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I will never sleep again

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Kay Kessler posted:

That last panel is trying way too hard.

"Here I am looking at poo poo under a microscope. That way you know I'm a scientist, since that's what all scientists do, just spending every moment of their free time looking at slides under a microscope. Not to mention my DNA model I bought at ThinkGeek. But you know I'm a badass too, since I have both a knife and a grenade placed randomly on my desk, and a giant painting of a gun for some reason. :downs:"

This criticism is trying way too hard.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry for this. I bring comics into the thread. This is my sin.

So, as far as I can tell, someone posted a whole two pages about a comic they didn't like and then lost their poo poo because the girl talked about there being no female heroes when she was a kid. And I don't know who's talking, when it took place, or anything helpful of that nature and everyone complaining is suitably unhelpful in providing any information that might offer context to someone's opinion on female superheroes being kinda not there.

I can't speak for the quality of the writing, but Marvel's had female superheroes for the whole time it's been Marvel. Invisible Woman and Jean Gray have been around since '63, Polaris since '68. Storm, Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel all showed up in the late 70s.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

DemeaninDemon posted:

Hows life as a male parts plumber?

ftfy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Byzantine posted:

I can't speak for the quality of the writing, but Marvel's had female superheroes for the whole time it's been Marvel. Invisible Woman and Jean Gray have been around since '63, Polaris since '68. Storm, Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel all showed up in the late 70s.

While the quality of writing has its ups and downs, Marvel has generally been pretty decent about representation in their comics and pushing various limits, even including some decently written queer subtext stuff well before any characters were actually out as gay. There have always been women in marvel comics, and again while different writers had various ups and downs they were often in leadership roles and are frequently very powerful characters both literally and in terms of driving the narratives.

I mean I hate to agree with an internet crazy but when the first page was posted I thought it was a cute comic and then it ends with saying she couldn't be a super hero because she was a woman, ignoring the massive history marvel has with their characters. :confused:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Chomp8645 posted:

Captain Florida.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Can I just pet a cool bird without the religious implications?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TontoCorazon posted:

Can I just pet a cool bird without the religious implications?

Not at PARROT MOUNTAIN!

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Magna Kaser posted:

It means "awesome" but also means kind of "badass" as well? Its generally very positive though, and it's a very common term. I've heard it can also mean cocky/rear end in a top hat but I've never really heard it used in that capacity.

These days it's often shortened to the more family friendly "cow", though. Literally "that guy is very cow" is a thing you read online a lot.

Off topic but linguistically interesting, due to crazy Chinese censorship the actual character 屄 is hard to use (it's a rather vulgar term) online so they started using the letter B instead since it's pronounced that way. This became so widespread it looped around now the letter B just means vagina in Chinese to most young people.

Language is wonderful :allears:

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Chomp8645 posted:

Generic White Woman.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Pretty sure in Parrot Mountain the bird pets you.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

DemeaninDemon posted:

Watch out for "Tico" he loves children

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Come to get Really up close and personal, stay for the crucifixion of James and Debbie!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Beautiful Parrot Mountain. Sounds thrilling.
http://www.parrotmountainandgardens.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1loOC94tlE

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

DemeaninDemon posted:

He broke the cardinal rule of Parrot Mountain. Never pet the parrots, let the parrots pet you!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nuebot posted:

While the quality of writing has its ups and downs, Marvel has generally been pretty decent about representation in their comics and pushing various limits, even including some decently written queer subtext stuff well before any characters were actually out as gay. There have always been women in marvel comics, and again while different writers had various ups and downs they were often in leadership roles and are frequently very powerful characters both literally and in terms of driving the narratives.

I mean I hate to agree with an internet crazy but when the first page was posted I thought it was a cute comic and then it ends with saying she couldn't be a super hero because she was a woman, ignoring the massive history marvel has with their characters. :confused:

Which would explain this I guess:

quote:

I’m done with marvel. Social justice has absolutely destroyed comics. This is just bad writing. It’s propaganda, and it’s not even good propaganda.
This is why you have to stand up to these people. If you let them infect the things you love they will ruin them.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Public page so I'm not censoring.

IAVA, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America marched in NYC Pride and some of its members, or at least people who follow the page, were less than thrilled.

At least a lot of the replies to those comments are people making fun of them. The impotent tears are pretty great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Glad someone called out the curiously frequent use of the turn of phrase "shoved down my throat..."

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
"Sergeant Goodling, it has come to my attention that you have brought your wife to orgasm. Cool."

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Krowley posted:

Which would explain this I guess:

Man cape comics were ruined long before they became inclusive and slightly better on social issues. Probably somewhere around Man-Spider.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

Man cape comics were ruined long before they became inclusive and slightly better on social issues. Probably somewhere around Man-Spider.

I'm just going to nominate the clone saga for ruining comics forever. They were probably ruined before that though. When weren't they ruined?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nuebot posted:

I'm just going to nominate the clone saga for ruining comics forever. They were probably ruined before that though. When weren't they ruined?

After some thinking, I think I can produce a good candidate for the exact point when they were ruined.

No jokes here, I'm afraid, just nerdery: the head of EC Comics utterly failing to defend this cover in a hearing was a big contributing factor to the creation of the Comics Code.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope I don't make a stupid "duuuuuh" face after someone chops off my head.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cleretic posted:

After some thinking, I think I can produce a good candidate for the exact point when they were ruined.

No jokes here, I'm afraid, just nerdery: the head of EC Comics utterly failing to defend this cover in a hearing was a big contributing factor to the creation of the Comics Code.

History Honeys is great but that is not exactly accurate going by what they said in the episode. Gains hadn't slept and had to testify in front of senators he'd spent a year calling communists against a guy who had spent years refining his anti-comics speech.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

They should make more comics like that imo

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

mng posted:

"Sergeant Goodling, it has come to my attention that you have brought your wife to orgasm. Cool."

"Privaaate! Do you have anything to report!"
"Sir! I have licked my lesbian wife, sir!"
"Godammit, private!"

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Senator: How do you justify this comic book cover?

Dude: It fuckin rules

Senator: truu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His actual response was "it'd only be obscene if you could see a bloody neck and he was holding the head higher :downs:"