Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
According to the Oxford dictionary Tory comes from the Irish Toraidhe for ”pursued” as in an outlaw or highwayman on the run. It was also what they called English settlers who stole land in Ireland.

James 2nd's supporters were called Tory as they were considered thieves, stealing from the nation by supporting his claim.

Very appropriate for today's blue and red Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

All right, fair enough, thanks guys. I mostly got tripped up by seeing a lot of the fuss about whoever will succeed Cameron not "being elected by the people", but I guess the point is that after a resignation of this sort, it's just expected that the whole party leadership really should go up for a vote of some sort, and that a crisis like this probably warrants a snap GE.

It still seem a bit unstable to me compared to our Glorious Shining American Presidency, though it has to be granted that if a President ever cocked up on a Cameron-esque scale, people would be calling for his entire White House to step down, along with the Speaker and/or Pres. pro tempore of the Senate if they shared party affiliation, and then we'd be in a similar position.

Anyway thanks for putting up with Dumb American questions, I actually try to stay on top of British politics in a general sense but since I never grew up with classes on British civics, I do miss finer details sometimes. :v:

Actually it's honestly a good question because strictly, Britain shouldn't have anything like a president. We're supposed to form majorities in parliament and elect senior advisors to the Crown as representatives of those majorities (cabinet ministers) and run a government based on agreement in parliament, theoretically on an issue by issue basis.

What's been steadily happening over the years is that we've been migrating towards a de-facto presidency, where the leader of each party is the sole face of that party and represents everything about them, and it's very important for them to be "strong" because we wouldn't want a weak leader of the country, never mind that our entire governmental system is supposed to run without one single leader because the actual legal leader of the country sits in Buckingham Palace.

The loss of a PM shouldn't, really, be a major problem for the UK government because they should just pick another one, you don't elect the prime minister or any of the senior cabinet, you elect your local MP and the rest is sorted out among the parliament of MPs. But because we've moved towards a rather presidential view of politics, the PM is seen to need direct legitimacy from the general electorate and the success or failure of 'their' policies is assumed to reflect on their legitimacy as PM.

This is also visible in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the Labour party because in theory, he's been very keen to have a democratically decided agenda, he puts his policy above others because he has a democratic mandate from the membership, but he expressed a desire for a coalition of MPs to form his cabinet at the start.

Of course, the Blair faction (a man famous for being extremely autocratic in his leadership of the labour party) view this as a sign of weakness and take every opportunity to undermine him as leader. I'm hoping that for the time being he will put the smackdown on them and get the party elected but really, his initial way of doing things would be better if the party wasn't full of blairite twats.

So the UK doesn't have a president, except in many ways it does.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 27, 2016

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

SpaceDrake posted:

... Nixon was found to be The Greatest Dipshit, may have hosed a pig, jury's out on that one...
Dick Nixon wasn't a pig-fucker, he was a rat-fucker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratfucking

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

SpaceDrake posted:

Anyway thanks for putting up with Dumb American questions, I actually try to stay on top of British politics in a general sense but since I never grew up with classes on British civics, I do miss finer details sometimes. :v:

Don't be hard on yourself; neither did us Brits. It's why we are in this mess right now.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Tigey posted:

Well, lets see:

Most of the country (excepting a few major cities) left behind by rapid technological, economic and social advances in the global economy? Check
Massive structural trade deficit leading to steady outflow of capital? Check
Public anger directed not toward government, but to resentment toward foreigners leading to formation of nativist political movements? Check
Nationalist arrogance preventing government from dealing with other govts on an equal basis, instead making demands and insisting upon a special status? Check
Ineffective drug policy? Check
Aging decreipt female monarch? Check

Well, at least the Maoists will be in charge in 50 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So how on fire is the stock exchange at the moment?

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Senor Tron posted:

...t historically the PM wasn't meant to be as powerful as the role is now. IIRC in the late 19th century there were even commentators talking about how the idea of one person representing the government in that way way undemocratic.
In some documentary I half-remember, they said "Prime Minister" as a title was meant to be sarcastic. With 18th century air quotes around it because the idea was so ludicrous that a mere minister would head the government.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's actually doing OK.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

OwlFancier posted:

So the UK doesn't have a president, except in many ways it does.

This is a great post. There are a lot of parliamentary systems around the world, and most of them operate on the government/parliamentary confidence/prime minister principle, but the UK is kind of diverging, perhaps because of its tendency towards a two-party system. Germany also has a parliamentary system in principle, but the elections gravitate around the Chancellor/potential Chancellor (who is the equivalent of the Prime Minister in the UK), and wouldn't you know, there are two major parties as well.

Countries where coalition governments between roughly equal parties are ordinary (because they have proportional representation) seem to avoid this, although if they have an elected figure-head president then the voters may channel this "one leader" thing at the presidential election even though the president doesn't actually have much power!

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
FTSE 250 is pretty much back to the lowest point it hit immediately after the referendum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nobodyssweetheart posted:

In some documentary I half-remember, they said "Prime Minister" as a title was meant to be sarcastic. With 18th century air quotes around it because the idea was so ludicrous that a mere minister would head the government.

This is correct as far as I know, as above the proper title is First Lord of the Treasury which is what it says on the door of number 10.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OwlFancier posted:

So how on fire is the stock exchange at the moment?

Not much so far, TBH.

https://www.google.ca/finance?cid=12590587

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

New-look all-Corbynite Shadow Cabinet:

Shadow Foreign Secretary - Emily Thornberry
Shadow Health Secretary – Diane Abbott
Shadow Education Secretary – Pat Glass
Shadow Transport Secretary – Andy McDonald
Shadow Defence Secretary – Clive Lewis
Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury – Rebecca Long-Bailey
Shadow International Development Secretary – Kate Osamor
Shadow Environment Food and Rural Affairs Secretary – Rachel Maskell
Shadow Voter Engagement and Youth Affairs – Cat Smith
Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary – Dave Anderson

A cabinet I could vote for without qualms tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't Andy MP for Middlesbrough?

E: HA! Yes he is!

Not my MP so I'm not sure how good he is but nice to have a local lad in cabinet.

E: Though this is a nice touch: http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2015-16/830/

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 27, 2016

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Antti posted:

This is a great post. There are a lot of parliamentary systems around the world, and most of them operate on the government/parliamentary confidence/prime minister principle, but the UK is kind of diverging, perhaps because of its tendency towards a two-party system. Germany also has a parliamentary system in principle, but the elections gravitate around the Chancellor/potential Chancellor (who is the equivalent of the Prime Minister in the UK), and wouldn't you know, there are two major parties as well.

Countries where coalition governments between roughly equal parties are ordinary (because they have proportional representation) seem to avoid this, although if they have an elected figure-head president then the voters may channel this "one leader" thing at the presidential election even though the president doesn't actually have much power!

I'd say a part of it is that most of them had a period in time, be that political collapse or independence or the like, where they sat down and figured things out and laid out "right this is how it works". We haven't done anything like that in a drat long time, the result being that (as far as I know, I could be wrong on a few parts) the most powerful position in our government today accidentally came into de facto existence and accidentally ended up being the most powerful post with no legal basis for its power existing as it does mostly on a series of precedents and gentleman's agreements instead of any document we can refer to for "right this is how it works".

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OvineYeast posted:

Is this real or your picks?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's on the guardian politics liveblog

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Andy is listed as such on palriament's website so i think it's real.

http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/commons/andy-mcdonald/4269

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
There's a line going around that because of the drop in the value of sterling, everything is so undervalued that a lot of things are being bought and therefore it is acting as a balance to a mass sell off. Who knows about if that's actually true or how long it's going to hold.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Emily is my MP and has generally been good and cool, social media handling notwithstanding

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OvineYeast posted:

It's on the guardian politics liveblog

Cool, seems like Corbyn has gone with loyalists. Makes sense as Hodges was claiming that some MPs were willing to take jobs in the shadow cabinet and immediately resign. There aren't any threats in there. Pat Glass was the MP who got caught calling someone a "horrible racist" during the referendum campaign by the way.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

kecske posted:

Emily is my MP and has generally been good and cool, social media handling notwithstanding

I was in SOAS halls in her constituency and met her a few times. She bought me a drink. Was very glad to vote for her when she was one of the few MPs to show a swing to Labour in 2010.

e: also her social media handling seems prescient now tbh

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 27, 2016

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I made a thing to save us all some time and posted it to the labour facebook page, where it'll be ignored I take suggestions to expand the quote db.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need the animation to stop on the final frame and not loop.

Edit: Oh wait, the animation is just something you made to demonstrate it. If you could get the spins to generate an animated GIF for embedding then that would be sweet.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

It's actually doing OK.

This is not true. After you factor in fx drop, the FTSE is down essentially 3.5%.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

qhat posted:

This is not true. After you factor in fx drop, the FTSE is down essentially 3.5%.

Aha, I wondered why FTSE was doing better than the international markets. Makes sense now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OvineYeast posted:

:swoon:

Stick in Corbyn, this cabinet is looking pretty loving sexy. Good to see Cat Smith in there, she's been great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I guess he just chucked the idea of a compromise cabinet out the window then?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

So I guess he just chucked the idea of a compromise cabinet out the window then?

thing about a compromise cabinet is they also have to compromise with you

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Antti posted:

Not anymore we don't because both the centre left party and the centre right party have repratedly shot themselves in the foot while chasing the centre (the centre left is bleeding out slightly faster).

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

He's not the one that chucked it out the window.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not complaining, just curious, I don't know much about most of those MPs.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sun's going full fash.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not complaining, just curious, I don't know much about most of those MPs.

You should! They're all great MPs, but mostly 2015 intake. I'm sure this will be an interesting experience for them...

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Jess Phillips just resigned from a job she didn't have.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Jess Phillips just resigned from a job she didn't have.

Hahaha what?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oberleutnant posted:

Sun's going full fash.

Haha, 'won'

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

OvineYeast posted:

Aha, I wondered why FTSE was doing better than the international markets. Makes sense now.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Summary?s=UKXUSD%2B:FSI

Useful chart if you want to know how FTSE's really doing - was down 10% on Friday in real(-ish) terms, is still falling.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Sun's going full fash.

Could union jacks not fly high before? Was there some sort of EU force field that stopped them being put up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kaislioc posted:

I'd say a part of it is that most of them had a period in time, be that political collapse or independence or the like, where they sat down and figured things out and laid out "right this is how it works". We haven't done anything like that in a drat long time, the result being that (as far as I know, I could be wrong on a few parts) the most powerful position in our government today accidentally came into de facto existence and accidentally ended up being the most powerful post with no legal basis for its power existing as it does mostly on a series of precedents and gentleman's agreements instead of any document we can refer to for "right this is how it works".

You're right, the UK system is based on precedent and tradition instead of anything concrete because the UK hasn't had that kind of moment of reckoning you describe. There aren't a lot of countries that still operate like that, definitely not any western democracies I can think of. There's a body of law like the Reform Acts to fix the electoral system, and the monarch's power has been diluted over time, sometimes by seismic events like the Civil War and the Glorious Revolution.

Edit: by the by this whole Shadow Cabinet thing is also pretty singular to the UK, it's funny how it keeps unravelling with people bleeding out while Corbyn stuffs new people back in

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 27, 2016

• Locked thread