Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

advanced statsman posted:

but is LeBron better than Drogba?

Swap sports and they swap stats, simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

jyrka posted:

That really is beautiful.

Plus if you scroll down, the next article is called How Messi Compares with LeBron. I think he concludes that LeBron is better because he Won The Play-Offs or something.

To truly cement his legacy in the same way as Lebron

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

A thing that really happened posted:

For those that haven's seen the statement from the team's FO it can be viewed here

I tried out the idea of the counter-chant myself during our friendly against Club TJ this year. I don't know what possessed me to do it. But it seemed to be just the kick in the verbal face that was enough to quiet the section next to my seats.

My counter chant was "HOMOPHOBE!" as loudly and as spitefully as my lungs could muster.

The facial reactions from the fans in section 134 were ones of shock and horror. Ones of embarrassment and ones that said "how dare you call me that! thats not me!!"

I kept at it, and I could hear them shouting afterwards "I dont hate gay people!" or "I have gay friends stop saying that!"

Clearly, it was enough to rattle and shake those fans enough to get them to basically stop. While I'm not loud enough to have that kind of effect on an entire stadium. I think if this becomes a thing. We might actually be able to do something about it.

I havent thought about this since those games as we havent really had that problem at stubhub since those friendlies against our friends from down south. But last night's game made me think about this again.

This needs to be a thing. But even more so. You stand up, and if you see those fans, you point at them while you chant it. It really unsettles and shakes up fans in my own tests.

So yeah, this needs to be a thing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Is this to stop the non homophobic and genuinely funny scream poo poo or puto at the goalie chant?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
*to the tune of chelsea chelsea chelsea*

homo homo homo
homo homo homo phobe

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I once met a fella on a bus who claimed to have invented the classic Estonian chant that would translate to "the referee's a human being."

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

jyrka posted:

I once met a fella on a bus who claimed to have invented the classic Estonian chant that would translate to "the referee's a human being."

I actually invented the word wanker, before that people would just sputter and bluster about how to express dissatisfaction with officials

Total Meatlove posted:

Is this to stop the non homophobic and genuinely funny scream poo poo or puto at the goalie chant?

It is. Because when a crowd of people is yelling that sort of thing they are definitely doing it with the targets genital preference in mind

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I'm imagining some weirdo screening homophobe over and over again as people grow increasingly uncomfortable and I'm doing serious lols.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEi4L4AFmqg

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

death to america

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

death to america

i'm like 80% sure that a very self-aware intern made this

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
Serious Post: I don't think it's bad to call him the lebron of soccer in this context tbqh. Most Americans that don't follow soccer have no idea who he is so it's a good shorthand way of saying "arguably the best player in the world" is retiring from his national team.

However, if the story talked about how LeBron would be a good goalie or some poo poo then the news crew should die.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Most Americans know who Messi is tbh.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

If some lovely news around here referenced LeBron by saying "El Messi de la NBA" it would be bad too

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

blue footed boobie posted:

Most Americans know who Messi is tbh.

You'd think that but probably not.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

KFBR392 posted:

Serious Post: I don't think it's bad to call him the lebron of soccer in this context tbqh. Most Americans that don't follow soccer have no idea who he is so it's a good shorthand way of saying "arguably the best player in the world" is retiring from his national team.

However, if the story talked about how LeBron would be a good goalie or some poo poo then the news crew should die.

If you don't know who Messi is then you wouldn't care about the news story anyway

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Ewar Woowar posted:

If you don't know who Messi is then you wouldn't care about the news story anyway

You might if the station could somehow quickly convey his importance in a manner that would be intelligible to an average American sports fan.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

KFBR392 posted:

You might if the station could somehow quickly convey his importance in a manner that would be intelligible to an average American sports fan.

Huh. Got any ideas perhaps?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
these are based on opta stats. they also had fellaini man of the match against italy i think

https://twitter.com/JamesDallESPN/status/747716654407229441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

these are based on opta stats. they also had fellaini man of the match against italy i think

yeah rashford was definitely as bad as hart

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Those are true ratings for Our Brave English Lions, you'd be mad to trust the so-called experts who say Kane and Rooney were a bit poo poo.

(Right thread)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jose posted:

the only player who showed any attacking threat whatsoever: 5

wicka fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 28, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
At least it's comforting to know that only one player on the Iceland team performed as well as Wayne Rooney.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
They wrote those ratings before the game even started assuming England would win and then didn't bother to change them when they lost, correct?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WestHam_Central/status/747559844631183361

"Oh dad, what have Roo done?"

:suicide:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving hell

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that headline makes no sense

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

St Evan Echoes posted:

that headline makes no sense

I had to look it up and apparently it's a play on "Mum's gone to Iceland", where Iceland is a grocery store, and the players are the dumbs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yes i know the slogan but no-one went to iceland

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

St Evan Echoes posted:

yes i know the slogan but no-one went to iceland

Dumbs (England players) gone (out of the tournament) to (at the hands of) Iceland

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

There can be only one song for sadio ...the al Jolson song mammy ...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
MLS is a neverending place for bad things about football

https://twitter.com/whoisjoserivera/status/748009945640112133

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

TheBigAristotle posted:

MLS is a neverending place for bad things about football

https://twitter.com/whoisjoserivera/status/748009945640112133
This is incredible

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

This is incredible
It was something like 95 degrees when the game started even though it was about 8:00 PM local time. I'm going to place the blame on mass heat stroke.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm going with "Mormons are stiffs and dorks"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://instagram.com/p/BHN8HHFhBpK/

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bbc feed posted:

LayEggBeforeWicket: Why do they need to have corner flags in football? Everyone knows where the lines are and where to take the corners from.

Bizarrely, me and a friend were discussing this only the other day! I was also trying to remember when they stopped having flags on the halfway line. Or even if that was a thing and we hadn't dreamt it...

ffs

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
https://www.facebook.com/TheHerd/videos/1843198295901361/

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig