Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saukkis posted:

What's the reason for safety wiring no more than three bolts at a time?

I don't think there is one. I work on aircraft, I see more than three bolts being wired regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Saukkis posted:

The length of wire has to be a bit more than twice as long as the collective distance the wire must travel, so you end up working with these ridiculously long pieces of wire. It's easier and faster to wire them in pairs or triplets, and the effect is the same.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Phanatic posted:

I don't think there is one. I work on aircraft, I see more than three bolts being wired regularly.

AgentJayZ has a good video illustrating lockwire techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

And half an hour of miserable fiddling - "Hardest Lockwire"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxHQXYU-Os

Blitter fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 24, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Saukkis posted:

The wire work hardens as you go along. You can wire more but it becomes a pain in the nuts.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now I want someone to wire lock wheel lugs because of how rediculously :black101: it would look.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm really curious how that happened since tanks are wide and have a pretty low center of gravity. Fell off the trailer?

Also it looks like the soldier is berating the kid for it. :v:

Since its at an angle to the road at an intersection, my guess would be on a flatbed and the driver took the turn too fast.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Saw this today going home.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Moremoneythansense.jpg

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cursedshitbox posted:

Eh, you see that a lot very summer time in Australia. Some old Land Crusier or Patrol with an incorrectly balanced boat trailer behind it

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

ĂÂ¢Ă‘Â€Ă¸ Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸,
трø Ă¿Ă¾ трø Ă¿Ă¾Ă»ĂÂ¾Ă‘ÂĂºĂ¸
I mean credit where its due for that Yukon tho.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

Eh, you see that a lot very summer time in Australia. Some old Land Crusier or Patrol with an incorrectly balanced boat trailer behind it

The IRS commodores are my favourite, running on the bump stops with only about 25mm of the inside edge of the tyre touching the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Psh, that doesn't even look like it's doing structural damage to the vehicle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

The wire work hardens as you go along. You can wire more but it becomes a pain in the nuts.

:rimshot:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Savington posted:

The length of wire has to be a bit more than twice as long as the collective distance the wire must travel, so you end up working with these ridiculously long pieces of wire. It's easier and faster to wire them in pairs or triplets, and the effect is the same.

AC 43.13-1B Chapter 7-124 Subpart a. posted:

When bolts, screws, or other parts are
closely grouped, it is more convenient to safety
wire them in series. The number of bolts, nuts,
screws, etc., that may be wired together depends
on the application

You CAN wire more than three, but it's a royal pain in the rear end, and generally not worth it unless the MM specifically calls for it to be done like that.

Safety wire generally comes five or six different gauges (.020, .032, and .041 are the most common by a huge margin,) and in four common materials: stainless steel, monel, inconel, and brass. SS is the go-to, and is used everywhere. Inconel and Monel are generally only used on engines, during overhaul; Most line mechanics never touch the stuff. Brass wire is used for safetying switches and the like, generally in the cockpit. Things like fuel-dump safety covers are wired down, but are still easy to break with just finger pressure. Yes, I've come across these things safetied down with stainless wire. Thats a HUGE no-no. :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Monel is also kickass.

You ever wonder why a ton of people can't wear cheapass jewelry but can still have a pair of metal glasses strapped to their head every waking hour and not break out*? Monel. It's a nickel/copper alloy that's resistant to nearly any corrosion (including saltwater) but is also pretty workable with most methods, but it work hardens like a motherfucker. I think it's stronger than nickel, too (but more difficult to polish) and IIRC can't be electroplated onto something.

Wikipedia says that a few Monel alloys can withstand a pure-oxygen fire :stare:

*except for cheap coatings. PS that green poo poo on your glasses isn't the metal corroding, it's your sebum and bacteria feeding on it making what opticians call "face cheese." Clean your glasses.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Monel also welds like mud with sewage in it.

Still better than aluminum though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah but for poo poo like glasses, safety wire, and internal clock mechanisms, it is awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah but for poo poo like glasses, safety wire, and internal clock mechanisms, it is awesome.

We fixed a desk on the ship with a monel sleeve since it was the only fitting that fit the pipe on the leg.

$600 fix for a desk leg :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Wikipedia says that a few Monel alloys can withstand a pure-oxygen fire :stare:

What does this mean? Pure oxygen doesn't burn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It means a fire with literally nothing but a fuel, heat, and oxygen. None of that nitrogen poo poo most of our atmosphere is made of.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fine, but that still doesn't mean anything. What is the fuel? Zirconium burns hotter than acetylene, which burns hotter than wood, regardless of the atmosphere.

I really have a hate-on for useless gee-whiz superlatives like that, which sound impressive to the layman but mean nothing :argh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Here's a good demonstration of the effects of a pure oxygen environment on metal - steel wool is heated until glowing, then violently bursts into flame when exposed to 100% oxygen.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

Fine, but that still doesn't mean anything. What is the fuel?

It does mean something, and the fuel in that example would be monel.

quote:

I really have a hate-on for useless gee-whiz superlatives like that, which sound impressive to the layman but mean nothing :argh:

Apollo 1 suggests it does mean something.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

Here's a good demonstration of the effects of a pure oxygen environment on metal - steel wool is heated until glowing, then violently bursts into flame when exposed to 100% oxygen.

What weird world do you live in where you don't immediately just check youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXc-WXdg03Y&t=11s

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

What does this mean? Pure oxygen doesn't burn.

Goddamn you fuckwit this is why I've had you on ignore for two years. It means that in a pure oxygen environment, where other poo poo is burning (like, the steel of a hull, or the tubing of a nasal cannula), the monel alloy won't ignite.

Back you go.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Geirskogul posted:

Goddamn you fuckwit this is why I've had you on ignore for two years. It means that in a pure oxygen environment, where other poo poo is burning (like, the steel of a hull, or the tubing of a nasal cannula), the monel alloy won't ignite.

Back you go.

I love this forum.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Phanatic posted:

It does mean something, and the fuel in that example would be monel.

If the fuel is monel then by definition doesn't that mean that it's not withstanding the fire?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EKDS5k posted:

If the fuel is monel then by definition doesn't that mean that it's not withstanding the fire?

If it catches fire then it catches fire, yes. The claim was that monel will not oxidize when heated in a pure oxygen atmosphere, whether the heat comes from combustion of something else or another source.. I'm sure monel will go up just fine when you hit it with ClF3 or something stupid like that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Why not just superheat the oxygen? What could possibly go wrong?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Midjack posted:

If it catches fire then it catches fire, yes. The claim was that monel will not oxidize when heated in a pure oxygen atmosphere, whether the heat comes from combustion of something else or another source.. I'm sure monel will go up just fine when you hit it with ClF3 or something stupid like that.

Enough pressure and temp and pretty anything will burn in a pure O2 environment!

"Some Nasa PDF posted:

Monel alloys, nickel-copper alloys, are the least ignitable alloys commonly used as structural materials. Monel 400 and K-500 have not ignited in particle impact tests (although some surface melting and burning may be observed) and do not burn upwards in upward flammability tests even at oxygen pressures as high as 69 MPa (10000 psia). Monel alloys ignite in frictional heating tests at higher loads than stainless steels, but the fire does not propagate. (Monel alloys have unusually high values for the friction coefficient m).

Oh, man chapter 3 is a cool read; lots of metals being encouraged to burn via friction, impact etc!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I wouldn't be surprised if F2O2 can oxidize it, but if we're going to mention poo poo like that or ClF3 there isn't much that won't violently shed electrons.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it's not hypergolic at standard temp/pressure it's not worth mentioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Bring me a 50/50 mixture of TEA/TEB and you'll show yourself hypergolic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pff, triethylborane is used to light rocket fuel, ClF3 is rocket fuel.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Pff, triethylborane is used to light rocket fuel, ClF3 is rocket fuel.

ClF3 is better described as a "better oxygen" in the fire triangle. You still need a fuel that it will burn (Hint: almost everything is a fuel for ClF3)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Maxwells Demon posted:

ClF3 is better described as a "better oxygen" in the fire triangle. You still need a fuel that it will burn (Hint: almost everything is a fuel for ClF3)

Y'all motherfuckers need to read the Things That Go FOOF In The Night thread. Dioxygen Difluoride burns actually everything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm pretty sure chlorine trifluoride will oxidize oxygen itself.

E: In the sense of stealing electrons, not "adding oxygen".

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enourmo posted:

I'm pretty sure chlorine trifluoride will oxidize oxygen itself.

E: In the sense of stealing electrons, not "adding oxygen".

John Drury Clark, the guy who literally wrote the book on liquid rocket fuel posted:

It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

:catbert:

Apparently it will actively burn sand, CO2, water, and Halon, so there is no known way to suppress a ClF3 fire

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I was making a pun, dammit! The line should have gone "and I'll show you hypergolic" but I wrote "and you'll show yourself hypergolic" because those things are hypergolic with each other and thus by attempting to bring me a 50/50 mixture you'll experience that fact!

Also yes let us remember that chlorine trifluoride was considered by Nazi weapons scientists to be too unstable and dangerous for use as a weapon and it is transported in aluminium drums as the layer of aluminium oxide that forms on aluminium in air is one of the few things ClF3 cannot burn

If something happens to nick through the oxide layer run

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

literally a fish posted:

Also yes let us remember that chlorine trifluoride was considered by Nazi weapons scientists to be too unstable and dangerous for use as a weapon

And recall that the V‐2 killed more people in its manufacture than in its deployment, so that’s a pretty high bar.