Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

jabby posted:

Why are Winterton and Maria Eagle still there? Have they not reached their allotted resignation time yet?

Eagle has. Sky weren't quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Extremely naïve from Nandy, she had real momentum as an up and coming left winger but there's no way she's ready yet. She'll end up a PLP stooge and it'll finish her career.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fans posted:

A good few of these are Junior Positions which nobody really gives a poo poo about.

I liked when the Mirror's twitter put out "Another front bench resignation as Jess Phillips resigns with damning letter you really have to read" or words to that effect. We're now pretending that PPS count as front bench. At least pretend this isn't a concerted establishment effort to torpedo a candidate for change eh?

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Dominionix posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of opening Facebook (which for me is filled with Londoners) where I've had to endure 48 hours of painfully idiotic arguments about how this isn't the type of democracy people wanted, so there should be a second referendum. It's taken it's toll.

I don't think anyone quite expected this. I'm both amazed and horrified at the same time, and possibly still shocked.

E: I'm also waiting for the Labour HQ cleaner to send in a resignation too. I think we're nearly out of roles unless they start making some up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

I liked when the Mirror's twitter put out "Another front bench resignation as Jess Phillips resigns with damning letter you really have to read" or words to that effect. We're now pretending that PPS count as front bench. At least pretend this isn't a concerted establishment effort to torpedo a candidate for change eh?

Who is 'the establishment' and who is 'the candidate' in this post?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Extremely naïve from Nandy, she had real momentum as an up and coming left winger but there's no way she's ready yet. She'll end up a PLP stooge and it'll finish her career.

Like I said, she's being pushed because they intend to bully her into their puppet.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Who thinks he'll make it to the end of the day? I think he might.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

'mom' ?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hoops posted:

I still think they'll have to force the issue instead of waiting for him to quit on his own volition.

Unless you're talking about Dave eating a shotgun.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

Looks like he's going to stubbornly hang on.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Antti posted:

I still think they'll have to force the issue instead of waiting for him to quit on his own volition.

Do they even have a mechanism by which to do that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guessing she forgot to set Microsoft Word to "English (U.K.)" :britain:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dominionix posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of opening Facebook (which for me is filled with Londoners) where I've had to endure 48 hours of painfully idiotic arguments about how this isn't the type of democracy people wanted, so there should be a second referendum. It's taken it's toll.
There shouldn't have been a first one.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Black country dialect, they say "mom" there.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Hoops posted:

He's already said he won't resign and has appointed a bunch of shadow cabinet replacements. At this point I think the only way they're getting him out of office is in an unmarked van with a bag over his head.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

He can be shadow minister for being a loving oval office who only wants to be in Europe so he can exploit immigrant labor who aren't aware of their workers' rights.

Only on condition that he's one of the ones that dies wanking with a plastic bag over his head two weeks in.

If China sailed a gunboat up the Thames and started shelling Westminster until they allowed importing their lovely legal heroin again I think I'd support them at this point.

When, aged 18 in 1998, I told my politics a-level teacher I was going to study Chinese at uni instead of PPE, after a few dismissive remarks he said "maybe one day you'll be the governor after the Chinese send a gunboat down the Thames to shell Parliament." He laughed. I laughed. I didn't think he would be right.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
Maria resigned in the last few minutes. Cross her off. No idea about Winterton, she's surely off soon. Don't even know who the others are. I don't think there are any Corbyn allies left to declare.

A number of those positions are shadows for portfolios that don't exist in government. The rumbling at the time was they added some extras so they could claim a 50%+ female cabinet while still honouring commitments.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Antti posted:

At least with this shitshow you can have a certain degree of Schadenfreude because the cause and effect is obvious and you're not personally taking the brunt of it (I'm not British), in 2008 it was just "oh my god we're all going to die" for weeks.

'You' is probably a bad way to phrase it, in this, the UKMT. We're all turbofucked over here, thanks.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/aliceross_/status/747382603305582592

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Corbyn appears to have agreed to a leadership contest

https://twitter.com/GuardianAnushka/status/747390398528651264

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I take it they haven't heard of archive.org

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I'd offer to replace Michael Cashman, but i'm afraid no-one is going to take an agoraphobic global envoy seriously. Contact me if you need to Jez!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Oh lordy we're hosed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hoops posted:

He won't leave unless they can beat him in an election, he's made that clear. They could all resign and he'd just offer jobs to newer MP's and Lords. He'll weather them out unless they force it with a leadership challenge.

The one chance they have of doing him in by resignation is to break his Union support, but the Unions are saying they're behind him and the PLP can get hosed, so no hope there.

Dominionix
Feb 27, 2007

Because you touch yourself at night...

Laradus posted:

I don't think anyone quite expected this. I'm both amazed and horrified at the same time, and possibly still shocked.

E: I'm also waiting for the Labour HQ cleaner to send in a resignation too. I think we're nearly out of roles unless they start making some up.

I'm very much on the same page, incredibly shocked at the result, I suspect a large portion of that though is because people were so convinced it was going the other way. I don't regret my decision though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Did they change the rules from the last one? Can the £3 supporters still vote?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

feedmegin posted:

'You' is probably a bad way to phrase it, in this, the UKMT. We're all turbofucked over here, thanks.

Yeah, sorry. Not really trying to dance on graves or anything, but rubbernecking is irresistible.

Also Palpek is Polish I think so I was kind of thinking of us not-British Europeans there. Or is it just "not-British" now.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Dominionix posted:

I'm very much on the same page, incredibly shocked at the result, I suspect a large portion of that though is because people were so convinced it was going the other way. I don't regret my decision though.

If i'd voted Leave I would definitely be regretting it now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Cracking stuff. Burn it all down.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Oh lordy we're hosed.

Maybe you could finally put your money where your mouth is and vote for someone else, you persistent whinger.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/fastFT/status/747392403535953920

FTSE 100 surviving better than FTSE 250, the latter of which is more UK-local overall.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hoops posted:

Did they change the rules from the last one? Can the £3 supporters still vote?

They can. I wonder if they will

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Oberleutnant posted:

Do they even have a mechanism by which to do that?

Not really and the leadership contest is the way to do it. Except Corbyn will probably win. That's why they are trying to make him resign, because it's their best and possibly only shot. Corbyn seems to see this.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope corbyn wins

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Fans posted:

He won't leave unless they can beat him in an election, he's made that clear. They could all resign and he'd just offer jobs to newer MP's and Lords. He'll weather them out unless they force it with a leadership challenge.
I think most party leaders say that, until the point where they resign. Whatever he said this morning may no longer apply by 5pm, particularly if Watson resigns.

KELNOR THE OVERWASP
Jul 1, 2005

CULTURAL IMPERIALIST.
ask me about being white and privileged in china

Deteriorata posted:

This is going to seem prescient in a few years when the Eurozone finally blows up and in the resulting depression Germany invades France.

This country has voted 52-48 to shoot itself in the dick, and the worst part is that if your dick is in the devil's hand and he's dragging you down to hell shooting yourself in the dick might be the best option.

KELNOR THE OVERWASP fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 27, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dominionix posted:

Would you regret your decision if we end up in a deep recession with millions of job losses and rapidly increasing inflation?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

If this happens it's worth remembering that despite constant hostile briefing from his own senior colleagues and a relentlessly negative press, Corbyn has outperformed predictions in every electoral test so far, and that his (apparently unsatisfactory, shambolic) Remain campaign delivered more Remain votes than any other party.
And the PLP are still trying to force him out despite having an unprecedented mandate from the membership, who were told they were stupid and petulant from the start.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Maybe you could finally put your money where your mouth is and vote for someone else, you persistent whinger.

Ah the 'stop whinging' gambit.

Did you borrow this from a Brexiter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Hoops posted:

I think most party leaders say that, until the point where they resign. Whatever he said this morning may no longer apply by 5pm, particularly if Watson resigns.

But unlike other party Leaders, Corbyn is a bit of an oddball. He's made a career out of telling the PLP to get hosed, why stop now?

• Locked thread